Pashtun Community | Pashtuns | Pashto |
World's Largest Online Pashtun Community

Go Back   Pashtun Community | Pashtuns | Pashto | > Politics & Current Affairs > World News - د نړۍ خبرونه
Reload this Page Pakistani student proves research, wins $250k scholarship in US
User Tag List

(#1)
Old
PF senior
Friend is on a distinguished road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Pakistani student proves research, wins $250k scholarship in US - 08-15-2012, 04:36 AM

KHAIRPUR: Shadab Rasool Abro, a student of matriculation and a resident of Khairpur, was given an award as well as a scholarship worth 250,000 dollars by the US State University of New York for presenting his research in the field of Bio Chemical.

The student of Pak-Turk School, talking to Geo New said he had conducted a modern research in the field of Bio Chemical and also worked on a project with an amazing result. Through this project the industrial world can be made virus-free and the industrial effluent recycled, he explained.

On an invitation from the US State University of News York, Shadab Rasool Abro visited the varsity and performed a successful experiment on the basis of his research. This won him an award and a scholarship worth 250,000 dollars in the US.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Friend For This Useful Post:
ډګروال (08-15-2012), Afghanistan2010 (08-17-2012), faye (08-15-2012)
(#2)
Old
PF senior
Friend is on a distinguished road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default 08-15-2012, 07:52 PM

Pak-Turk schools in Pakistan have a very good reputation but very expensive.
(#3)
Old
PF knowledgeable
drona is on a distinguished road

My Mood: Scared
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default 08-17-2012, 09:41 AM

Lol@ Pak-Turk schools. Are there any Pak-Arab and Pak-Persian schools too ?

Anyways, Friend bhai, this kid may be a budding Pakistani politician and not a scientist. Why?

Here is the interview of our winner, big bro "Abro", watch this video carefully :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FCictoBbnLQ

At 0:56 the kid explains that his project was about purifying industrial waste with ... Tea leaves !!

At 1:05 he shows his certificate, which is empty, his name is not on it !! Why ?

The whole science drama is not organized by NYU as the article (mis)informs, but by an obscure organization called "Genius Olympiad". Here is their site:

http://www.geniusolympiad.org/

From the site I downloaded the list of finalists. On the list, there are two Pakistanis, sure one of them has chaiwalla project, but it is not Mr. Abro, his name is Usama Khan K Baloch !

www.geniusolympiad.org/images/stories/GENIUS2012/GENIUS%202012%20Finalist%20List.pdf

As for the $250K award, I think the silver medalists (if he got one at all) got a tablet of some sort as per the website.....it must have cost 250 Pakistani rupees .... That is why I commented earlier that Abro mian from Khairpur, is ready for Pakistani politics. For his troubles and creativity, he should be given the pindigenousy built car Sitara.

Last edited by drona; 08-17-2012 at 09:52 AM.
(#4)
Old
PF senior
Khostai is an unknown quantity at this point

My Mood: Angelic
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Default 08-17-2012, 11:31 AM

^what so you mean this is another lie? I don't understand the intervieuw?
(#5)
Old
Administrator
Admin Khan is on a distinguished road

Thanked 4,620 Times in 2,297 Posts
My Mood: Stressed
Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default 08-17-2012, 11:54 AM

Which school is this?

Even Adobe Photoshop can't change me.

A line[Durrand line] of hatred that raised a wall between the two brothers -Hamid Karzai

For generations, the Hindus of India prayed for deliverance from "the venom of the cobra, the teeth of the tiger and the vengeance of the Afghan."

The men of Kábul and Khilj also went home; and whenever they were questioned about the Musulmáns of the Kohistán (the mountains), and how matters stood there, they said, "Don't call it Kohistán, but Afghánistán; for there is nothing there but Afgháns and disturbances." Thus it is clear that for this reason the people of the country call their home in their own language Afghánistán, and themselves Afgháns. The people of India call them Patán; but the reason for this is not known. But it occurs to me, that when, under the rule of Muhammadan sovereigns, Musulmáns first came to the city of Patná, and dwelt there, the people of India (for that reason) called them Patáns—but God knows!

-Ferishta, 1560–1620
(#6)
Old
PF contributor
Levanaye Zalmaye is on a distinguished road

Thanked 1,400 Times in 723 Posts
My Mood: In Love
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default 08-17-2012, 12:08 PM

How bad do things in your country have to be if a student winning a $250,000 scholarship is actually prime-time news for you?

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be".

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives".
(#7)
Old
Administrator

Default 08-17-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levanaye Zalmaye View Post
How bad do things in your country have to be if a student winning a $250,000 scholarship is actually prime-time news for you?
With due respect LZ, that's exactly what I was thinking. Here we have Afghans winning millions of dollars of NSF grants, yet none would know about them. But in Pakistan 250K is breaking news? Congratulations nonetheless. I am pleased to see a young energetic mind(if true)win a scholarship.

I congratulate him once again, but which University offered him this scholarship?

LZ:
Notice the happiness of going to the USA to study, all of a sudden:

"Amrika hamara dushman nahein hain!".

A line[Durrand line] of hatred that raised a wall between the two brothers -Hamid Karzai

For generations, the Hindus of India prayed for deliverance from "the venom of the cobra, the teeth of the tiger and the vengeance of the Afghan."

The men of Kábul and Khilj also went home; and whenever they were questioned about the Musulmáns of the Kohistán (the mountains), and how matters stood there, they said, "Don't call it Kohistán, but Afghánistán; for there is nothing there but Afgháns and disturbances." Thus it is clear that for this reason the people of the country call their home in their own language Afghánistán, and themselves Afgháns. The people of India call them Patán; but the reason for this is not known. But it occurs to me, that when, under the rule of Muhammadan sovereigns, Musulmáns first came to the city of Patná, and dwelt there, the people of India (for that reason) called them Patáns—but God knows!

-Ferishta, 1560–1620
The Following User Says Thank You to Admin Khan For This Useful Post:
Levanaye Zalmaye (08-17-2012)
(#8)
Old
PF knowledgeable
drona is on a distinguished road

My Mood: Scared
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default 08-17-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khostai View Post
^what so you mean this is another lie? I don't understand the intervieuw?
Indeed. The article is full of lies. It clams that Mr. Abro won $250K in a science fest organized by NYU.

Lie 1: The fest was organized by some unknown organization called "Genius Olympiad", not NYU.

Lie 2: The second prize was not $250K as claimed but a tablet.

Lie 3: Mr. Abro never actually participated in the fest. According to the site the name of the Pakistani participant is Usama Khan.
This article just shows how easily Pakistani people and media can be fooled by a fraud.
(#9)
Old
PF contributor
Levanaye Zalmaye is on a distinguished road

Thanked 1,400 Times in 723 Posts
My Mood: In Love
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default 08-17-2012, 12:24 PM

In the morning, we queue-up outside the many US consulates here. In the evening, we burn American flags. And when we buy sugar and wheat at discounted prices, we don't realise that most of what we buy (from electricity to oil) have been partly subsidised by American dollaz.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be".

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives".
(#10)
Old
Administrator

Default 08-17-2012, 12:25 PM

Wait, I read that it was organized by a university named the State University of New York, but the problem that I had was SUNY is not a University, it's a SET of universities composed of autonomous institutions that make their own independent decisions. So to say SUNY organized it, it has to be a university in SUNY. Same applies for CUNY.

SUN and CUNY(Two separate set of Universities, one by the state, the other by the city) have over 100 universities combined in New York, of which 4 are super-major:

Stony Brook University(Science school, research behind MRI was here)
Binghamton University(Liberal Arts school, very strong non-science programs)
Albany University
Buffalo University(Very strong Engineering school).

I visited all 4 of those University centers, and found no news about this.

-Ferishta, 1560–1620

Tags
$250k, pakistani, proves, research, scholarship, student, wins