Pashtun Community | Pashtuns | Pashto |
World's Largest Online Pashtun Community

Go Back   Pashtun Community | Pashtuns | Pashto | > General & Leisure > Hujra - حجره
Reload this Page Don of Mumbai, was from Kunar Afghanistan?
User Tag List

(#1)
Old
Administrator
Admin Khan is on a distinguished road

Thanked 4,623 Times in 2,297 Posts
My Mood: Stressed
Mentioned: 167 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default Don of Mumbai, was from Kunar Afghanistan? - 07-08-2012, 10:03 PM

Karim Lala (1911 - February 19, 2002), born as Abdul Karim Sher Khan in Kunar province of Afghanistan, was popularly known as the 'don of Mumbai' in India. He is widely recognized as the founder and pioneer of the Indian mafia in the Mumbai area. He went to work in Mumbai’s docks in the early 1940s via Peshawar, but his rise to prominence, along with Haji Mastan and Varadarajan Mudaliar, is now part of Bollywood film lore.
Karim Lala and his fellow mafia leaders were based in Bombay (now called Mumbai). They were involved in smuggling jewelry, running gambling and liquor dens, extortion rackets and selling Hashish. Karim Lala was an ethnic Pashtun, he died on February 19, 2002, at the age of 90.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karim_Lala

Even Adobe Photoshop can't change me.

A line[Durrand line] of hatred that raised a wall between the two brothers -Hamid Karzai

For generations, the Hindus of India prayed for deliverance from "the venom of the cobra, the teeth of the tiger and the vengeance of the Afghan."

The men of Kábul and Khilj also went home; and whenever they were questioned about the Musulmáns of the Kohistán (the mountains), and how matters stood there, they said, "Don't call it Kohistán, but Afghánistán; for there is nothing there but Afgháns and disturbances." Thus it is clear that for this reason the people of the country call their home in their own language Afghánistán, and themselves Afgháns. The people of India call them Patán; but the reason for this is not known. But it occurs to me, that when, under the rule of Muhammadan sovereigns, Musulmáns first came to the city of Patná, and dwelt there, the people of India (for that reason) called them Patáns—but God knows!

-Ferishta, 1560–1620
(#2)
Old
BANNED
RevolutionThroughReason is on a distinguished road

Thanked 1,155 Times in 984 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 07-08-2012, 10:29 PM

well that sure makes me proud .....but really what a ****bag .I wonder what all the trolls who think somehow Pashtunwali magically prevents people from immorality think of this
(#3)
Old
PF VIP
IamDZJ is on a distinguished road

Thanked 2,604 Times in 1,980 Posts
My Mood: Brooding
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default 07-08-2012, 10:31 PM

great. now i have to watch Once Upon A Time In Mumbai. at the age of 90?? must have been one hell of a boring gangster..don't they die young or something??

I am no bird, and no nest ensnares me.

non commercial would cost less if he was in charge himself which he plans on doing. right now it's n herat but soon it will be in qanadahar.
(#4)
Old
PF senior
Karachi is on a distinguished road

Thanked 1,312 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Default 07-08-2012, 10:40 PM

unfortunately muslims in india, espeically in areas like Mumbai where many of them live in the slums have a reputation for all kinds of crimes, I guess poverty and discrimination are to be blamed, but still, I think muslims should have the power to say no to crimes, this is not part of our religion and it gives us such bad light
(#5)
Old
Administrator
Admin Khan is on a distinguished road

Thanked 4,623 Times in 2,297 Posts
My Mood: Stressed
Mentioned: 167 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default 07-08-2012, 10:43 PM

He is widely recognized as the founder and pioneer of the Indian mafia in the Mumbai area.

Even Adobe Photoshop can't change me.

A line[Durrand line] of hatred that raised a wall between the two brothers -Hamid Karzai

For generations, the Hindus of India prayed for deliverance from "the venom of the cobra, the teeth of the tiger and the vengeance of the Afghan."

The men of Kábul and Khilj also went home; and whenever they were questioned about the Musulmáns of the Kohistán (the mountains), and how matters stood there, they said, "Don't call it Kohistán, but Afghánistán; for there is nothing there but Afgháns and disturbances." Thus it is clear that for this reason the people of the country call their home in their own language Afghánistán, and themselves Afgháns. The people of India call them Patán; but the reason for this is not known. But it occurs to me, that when, under the rule of Muhammadan sovereigns, Musulmáns first came to the city of Patná, and dwelt there, the people of India (for that reason) called them Patáns—but God knows!

-Ferishta, 1560–1620
The Following User Says Thank You to Admin Khan For This Useful Post:
(#6)
Old
PF knowledgeable
drona is on a distinguished road

My Mood: Scared
Default 07-09-2012, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karachi View Post
unfortunately muslims in india, espeically in areas like Mumbai where many of them live in the slums have a reputation for all kinds of crimes, I guess poverty and discrimination are to be blamed, but still, I think muslims should have the power to say no to crimes, this is not part of our religion and it gives us such bad light
Muslims are neither the poorest nor most discriminated community in Mumbai/India.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drona For This Useful Post:
faye (07-09-2012), JattApache (07-09-2012)
(#7)
Old
PF knowledgeable
JattApache is an unknown quantity at this point

Default 07-09-2012, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karachi View Post
Instead of lying, i'm sure you have never been in mumbai, when you don't know anything about this city it's better to shut your mouth ok?

(#8)
Old
PF knowledgeable

Default 07-09-2012, 05:52 AM

Bharati,

Please don't get emotional. Karachi is a nice person. If his perception is wrong because of Pakistani media, we must try to correct it .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drona For This Useful Post:
faye (07-09-2012), JattApache (07-09-2012)
(#9)
Old
BANNED
RevolutionThroughReason is on a distinguished road

Thanked 1,155 Times in 984 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Default 07-09-2012, 10:47 AM

even though this is a movie; I think the film Kabuliwala demonstrates the harassment and prejudicial treatment to Pashtuns in India PRIOR to when it became strategic interest of India to patronize Pashtuns.

Kabuliwala - Part1 [Bengali Movie with English subtitles] - YouTube
(#10)
Old
PF knowledgeable

Default 07-09-2012, 10:55 AM

The movie is based on a short story of the same name by nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore. Here is the short story : http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/rubel/kabuliwala.html

For lazy folks : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabuliwala_%281957_film%29

Tags
afghanistan, don, kunar, mumbai