Pashtun Community | Pashtuns | Pashto |
World's Largest Online Pashtun Community

Go Back   Pashtun Community | Pashtuns | Pashto | > Society & Heritage > Food - خوراك
Reload this Page ~*Feroza Banu's Cooking*~
User Tag List

(#1)
Old
Feroza_Banu

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Smile ~*Feroza Banu's Cooking*~ - 06-23-2010, 02:18 AM

Asalam O alaikum my dear brothers and sisters...

I have opened this thread to post recipes with pictures of whatever i cook on daily basis...

I have a request from admin khan to make this a sticky thread. thank you my dear brother, in advance.

I also request dear members not to post in this thread. I will be posting another thread where we can discuss the particular dish and you guys can teach me ways to improve it. i will try the improved version and post it in this topic again.

I will be posting step by step pictures with explanation of what is being done.

Again i request you guys NOT to post here... I know u guys are sweet and will listen to your sister
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Laila (06-23-2010), Pakhtunzai (07-01-2010)
(#2)
Old
Feroza_Banu

Smile Carrot Halwa - 06-23-2010, 02:38 AM

Ingredients.

1. 2 to 3kg carrots (shreded)

2. Milk (1 Gallon)

3. Half and Half

4. Dried Fruit (pista, almond, raisins)

5. Cardamom (hail)

6. Sugar (as desired)

I had to make for about 10 people. .. but u reduce this amount to whatever you desire... you can make it for two people too...

Let's start.

Take a pot and put the shredded carrots in it and put it on the stove.

Pour the gallon of milk in it (whole milk that is!)... whole milk's fat really brings out the taste of it.

Keep it on high heet and cook it for enough time to notice the water is drying up. it takes time.

Now add sugar as desired.... this process will take out all the water of the carrot.
when you notice that it is almost drying up... add the half and half... u can also replace half and half with full cream.

let it cook. and after some minutes add the dried fruits..

Keep cooking it ... the water will keep evaporating.

if you see that the color of the halwa is not red enough... u can add food coloring... (which i did... because american carrots are not that good )

when it is close to being done... sprinkle cardamom on top and mix it.

this is the final result

Tips to remember:

1. don't stir the carrots alot... it will really loose its texture and flavor as well
2. try to use a non-stick pan it helps the milk not to stick to the bottom
3. you can replace the half and half with full cream... it tastes even better.
4. u can add any dried fruits u desire.
5. you need patience! lol
6. don't loose hope the water WILL go away hahaha.
7. Serve it warm
8. don't let the bottom burn.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
din (10-23-2010), faye (03-19-2011), Laila (06-23-2010), Levanaye Zalmaye (07-05-2010)
(#3)
Old
Feroza_Banu

Default Korma Patato - 06-25-2010, 10:09 PM

Ingredients:
made for two people

1 large onion
4 large potatos
1 clove of garlic
oil as desired
salt as desired
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
3 green chillies (angaar likes food very spicy lol)
2 large tomatoes.

Cooking method:
take a frying pan or any cooking pot and pour oil on it and place it on the stove

Now take one large onion and chop and add it to oil when the oil is a little hot

When the of the onion turns light pinkish... add the potatoes

Now stir it every two minutes to change sides of the potatoes and the onion and let it cook together... the potato and the onion will start changing color to show that it is fried. add the green chillies and garlic

Let the garlic and the the potato and onion and green chillie cook in the oil for a little bit and keep turning it every 1 to 2 minutes...now add the turmeric powder

Let the turmeric powder cook for 2 to 3 minutes and then add the tomatoes

Dont add any water and keep cooking the tomatoes till it gets to this color

add a little water if ur potatoes are not done..... i added about half a glass and let it cook on low heat.

once the water is evaporated... and the potatoes are done... the final look should be this

Tips to remember:

1. don't over cook the potatoes ... it shouldn't loose its texture... it shouldn't melt in ur mouth... u should still be able to bite into the potatoes... otherwise it will come out like halwa and it wont taste good

2. don't add water until ur tomatoes have color and the oil has come over the top and the tomatoes are cooked... as referenced above.

3. i blended 2 tomatoes because i had run out of the tomato paste... u can use fresh tomatoes or paste... as u prefer... but make sure that u blend the fresh tomatoes.

4. it is a dish that is really not liked by many but that is because alot of people can't cook it nicely... the way i cook my family eats and enjoys it...

Last edited by Feroza_Banu; 06-25-2010 at 10:12 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
afghan (11-16-2010), Levanaye Zalmaye (07-05-2010)
(#4)
Old
Feroza_Banu

Default Sabzi , Saaba, Spinach... - 06-25-2010, 10:25 PM

Ingredients:

for two people:

1 large onion (chopped)
2 packet of frozen spinach (of course you can use the fresh spinach)
1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder
salt as desired
1/2 cup of oil
cilantro (chopped finely)
1/2 clove of garlic paste

Cooking Method:

Again... 1/2 cup of oil in a pot and put it on the stove turn the heat to medium

when the oil is a little hot, add the chopped onion.

when the onion turns color to light brown... add the garlic paste and turmeric powder.

let it cook with garlic for about 3 minutes

add the two packet of frozen spinach and cilantro...

if u are using frozen spinach u don't need to add water...it will release water itself... add salt

now let it cook for about 10 minutes till all the ice is melted and the spinach is in normal condition

the key to making spinach is beating it when it's close to being done...when u notice the water is almost gone... keep beating it and keep turning it. for at least 5 minutes constantly

this should be like the final look

Tips: Just remember to beat the spinach good! lol
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
din (10-23-2010), Levanaye Zalmaye (07-07-2011)
(#5)
Old
Feroza_Banu

Default Chalaw... White Rice. - 06-25-2010, 10:37 PM

Ingredients:

1 glass of Silla rice (afghan Rice) soaked for at least 3 hours before cooking it.

1/2 cup of oil

1 tea spoon cumen seed (zeera)

3 table spoon salt

cooking method:

Start with a pot and fill it up till half with water and salt let it come to boiling point

once it reaches the boiling point add the soaked rice

Now let it boil for about 5 minutes... this is extremelyyyyyyyyyyyy crucial point!... u have to make sure u don't cook the rice so that it is completly done... let it boil it it is half done... remember HALF done... HALF way before u can eat it... i literally let it boil for about 5 minutes.

Now drain it... and put it back in the pot...

take a frying pan and put it on heat.... the oil should turn HOT so that when you spread it on rice it will make sizzling noise... spread the oil on rice

now take about 1 glass of water in the same pan and let it boil... add it to rice... sprinkle cumen seed on top of the rice.

now cover the pot like this and put it on HIGH heat till you hear the rice pop like a pop corn inside the pan... once u start hearing poping sounds... u have to really go closeeeeee to the pan and hear it... make sure u don't burn the rice... then turn the heat to lowwwwwwwwwwww!... let cook on low for about 15 to 20 minutes.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
din (10-23-2010)
(#6)
Old
Feroza_Banu

Default 06-25-2010, 10:39 PM

Final result...

Levanaye Zalmaye (07-07-2011)
(#7)
Old
Feroza_Banu

Default 07-08-2010, 06:53 PM

Asalam o alaikum

I made bolani (peeraki) or potatoes last night.
Bolani is a very popular afghan dish and liked by almost every afghan. This is made as an “hawasaana” meaning a dish that is desired and looked at as a speciality for special occasions. Normally bolani is made of two vegetables, gandana or potatoes. Gandana is a vegetable very well known in Afghanistan. I don’t know what it is called in English… sorry.
Due to the fact that my husband doesn’t like gandana I made bolani of potatoes.

Ingredients:
I made around 5 big bolani and had some left over fillings so you can decide on how much potatoes and other ingredients u need based on how many you want to cook.

1 chopped onions.
3 green chilies finely chopped
Cilantro
6 potatoes (or less if u desire to make less)
5 cups flour. (I usually use flour that is used for parata, or wheat flower)
tea spoon turmeric powder
Salt (in dough and also in filling)
Oil
1 teaspoon yeast.

Lets first make the dough:

about 5 cups of flour in a bowl, add about 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teasoon of yeast.

Add warm water in it and make it dough. Make sure to not make the dough very soft. It should be not soft and not hard…

Cover the dough and set it aside.

Now lets make the potato filling:

Take about 5 pototaes and put them in a pressure cooker and add enough water to cook it for 15 minutes in a pressure cooker.

Close its cover and let is cook for about 15 minutes. If you want to boil the potatoes rather than using pressure cooker u can. You just have to make sure the potatoes are done. So u can mash it.

After 15 minutes… drain the potoates and let it cool down.

Now lets make the other veggie parts that will be added to mash potatoes.

Pour about cup of oil in the frying pan or any pan. Don’t use a lot of oil because if u put a lot of oil in the potoat and then also fry the bolani at the end it will come out really greasy!. Use less oil here… hence cup

Add the chopped onion.

Stir the onion in the for about 2 to 3 minutes. Before it changes color. Add salt about 1 tablespoon and teaspoon turmeric powder.

Now stir it till it turns light pink and then add the chilies.

Keep cooking it for about 3 more minutes. When you notice the onion is a little darker pink add the cilantro.

Now stir it for about 2 to 3 minutes and turn it off. It is done.

Separate the skin from the potatoes and add the onion-cilantro mix and mash it. to make it look like this.

Ur filling is ready.
Lets now make the final step… the bolani! J

First step: take the dough and make round balls.

Take ur weapon J

Spread the dough in a round shape

Spread the filling on it like this.

Bring the empty side on the filled side and close its edges. Make sure u press hard on the edges so that the potato doesn’t come out during frying.

Now take a flat pan… pour a little oil it… let it get hot and then put ur bolani on it to fry it.

Once one side is done… fry the other side. Flip it.

And final look.

Last edited by Feroza_Banu; 07-08-2010 at 06:55 PM.
din (10-23-2010)
(#8)
Old
Feroza_Banu

Default 07-08-2010, 06:59 PM

Tips to remember for bolani:
1. don't use alot of oil when making the onion part and when frying bolani... its better to just use little oil so that it doesn't turn out greasy.

2. don't deep fry bolani... just use a little cooking brush to brush oil on it when frying.

3. when making bolani and filling it , make sure the edges are closed and they stick to each other, otherwise potatoes will come out during frying.

4. serve it warm and with yogurt! (masteh)...

5. u can add more spices if u want spicy.

6. u can ask angaar on how it turned out lol
(#9)
Old
Feroza_Banu

Default 07-19-2010, 02:52 AM

Asalam o Alaikum
Today i made Afghan Kofta and Palaw... we were going to park with some friends so i made this and we ate it in the park.

i will first post the recipe and preparation method for kofta.
Ingredients

2 lb ground beef.
2 1/2 Large onions (mixed in blender)... puree.
1 clove garlic
2 eggs
2 green chillies (chopped)
1 cup oil
3 large tomato puree (or 1 1/2 table spoon tomato paste)
1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
1 teaspoon black pepper powder
2 teaspoon garam masala
1 table spoon coriendar powder (wacha gashneez powder).
Salt

let's make it now...
before anything:
lets blend the onion in a blender and put it aside
blend the tomatoes and put it aside.
make a paste of the clove of onion or if you have paste use about 1 teaspoon in the meat and 1 teaspoon in the sauce.

take the ground meat and add the eggs, 1 teaspoon salt, coriendar seed powder, black pepper, half of the garlic paste, and about 1/4 of the onion puree.

Now mix all together with your hand ... yep hand is handy haha

Now make small balls like this

Now lets make the sauce.
Take a pan and pour the oil and when hot add the remaining of the onion

When the onion changes color to brown add the garlic and green chilies and 1teaspoon salt and turmeric powder

after cooking it for about 2 to 3 minutes... add the tomatoe puree/paste

cook it for a while till the water is evaporated and the tomato gives out color.

Now add about 4 glasses of water and bring it to boiling point

once reaches boiling point... put the meat balls one by one

Now cover it and let it cook... the water will cook the meat and evaporate at the same time.
this is the final result.

Tips:
1. You can use tomato paste instead of fresh tomato puree which brings out the color more red and it looks better. i used fresh tomatoes because i like using fresh produce...
2. make sure u dont add alot of onion in the meat when mixing the meat with masala because if you do that the meat will loose its texture once you place it in the hot water and instead of balls it will become "keema" lol
din (10-23-2010)
(#10)
Old
Feroza_Banu

Default Palaw - 07-19-2010, 03:09 AM

Lets make Palaw ...
Palaw is refered to colored rice. if the rice has its original color (white) it is called chalaw... but balaw is supposed to be colored.
there are many ways of making palaw, example... coloring rice with sugar, with onion, with saferon, or something else.
I am today posting recipe of palaw that is easy to make and also popular amongst afghan as an easy alternate to coloring the rice with onion.
Coloring with sugar is easy.

first step is to soak rice.
I had to make it today for at least 6 people so i soaked alot of rice but you can soak according to your own size of the family.
with sila rice the measurement goes like this...
1 glass of rice = enough to feed two people...
I had soaked about 3 glasses of rice...

So here is all that you need.
Rice soaked at least for 3 to 4 hours before cooking.
Oil (about 1 cup)
Sugar (about 4 tablespoon)
4 to 5 tablespoon of salt
1 teaspoon of garam masala

Take a pan and fill it half with water and put the salt in it... let is come to boiling point.

Now that it is boiling... pour the rice in it.

Let it come to boiling point... don't put the cover on... the rice will spill over... just let it be uncovered.. once it starts boiling... let it boil for about 5 minutes... don't let the rice be done... half way before being do... check the rice and right when it is half way done that you have to press a little hard to squish it between ur fingers... drain the water.

put it back in the pot.

Now lets make the coloring.
take a small frying pan and put the oil... let it get hot and then put the sugar... don't mix it!... don't touch it... just put it there.

Now let the sugar change color... u don't have to move the pan or stir it... it will do it by itself... look here

and finally notice how the color has almost turned black... darkest brown possible... don't worry its not burnt lol

now spread it on the rice... it will make sizlling sound... be careful don't burn urself..

now gently mix the rice.

and spread the garam masala on top... this is just for the aroma... not to add spice... DON'T PUT TOO MUCH GARAM MASALA... JUST ENOUGH FOR AROMA. bring the rice to the center of the pot and make a couple of holes in it.

Now add about 3 cup of hot water in it.

add it to the rice put it on medium to high heat and cover it like this.

let is cook till you hear the rice POP... it will make poping sound... then put it on low! for about 20 minutes... then serve

1.Tips: only one!... you will learn from experience... so don't worry if the first one turns out like kichri... the ratio of water to the rice is crucial last step and u will get it once u have cooked enough times... enjoy
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
din (10-23-2010), Gulalai (08-16-2010), Mr.Niazi (12-14-2010), thankful85 (09-20-2010)

Tags
banu, cooking, feroza