Pashtun Community | Pashtuns | Pashto |
World's Largest Online Pashtun Community

Go Back   Pashtun Community | Pashtuns | Pashto | > Politics & Current Affairs > Political Talk - سياسي خبرې
Reload this Page How Pakistan Lets Terrorism Fester
User Tag List

(#1)
Old
PF senior
Toramana is on a distinguished road

Thanked 3,096 Times in 2,129 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default How Pakistan Lets Terrorism Fester - 05-12-2012, 03:43 PM

ON the anniversary of Osama bin Laden’s death last week, Pakistan was the only Muslim country in which hundreds of demonstrators gathered to show solidarity with the dead terrorist figurehead.

Yet rather than asking tough questions about how Bin Laden had managed to live unmolested in Pakistan for years, the Pakistani Supreme Court instead chose to punish the prime minister, Yousaf Raza Gilani, by charging him with contempt for failing to carry out the court’s own partisan agenda — in this case, pressuring the Swiss government to reopen a decades-old corruption investigation of President Asif Ali Zardari. (Never mind that Swiss officials say they are unlikely to revisit the charges.)

In handing down the decision, one justice chose to paraphrase the Lebanese poet Khalil Gibran. He held forth in a long appeal to religious-nationalist sentiment that began with the line, “Pity the nation that achieves nationhood in the name of a religion but pays little heed to truth, righteousness and accountability, which are the essence of every religion.”

That a Supreme Court justice would cite poetry instead of law while sentencing an elected leader on questionable charges reflects Pakistan’s deep state of denial about its true national priorities at a time when the country is threatened by religious extremism and terrorism.

Today, Pakistan is polarized between those who envision a modern, pluralist country and those who condone violence against minorities and terrorism in the name of Islam. Many are caught in the middle; they support the pluralist vision but dislike the politicians espousing it.

Meanwhile, an elephant in the room remains. We still don’t know who enabled Bin Laden to live freely in Pakistan. Documents found on computers in his compound offer no direct evidence of support from Pakistan’s government, army or intelligence services. But even if Bin Laden relied on a private support network, our courts should be focused on identifying, arresting and prosecuting the individuals who helped him. Unfortunately, their priorities seem to lie elsewhere.

In Pakistan, most of the debate about Bin Laden has centered on how and why America violated Pakistan’s sovereignty by unilaterally carrying out an operation to kill him. There has been little discussion about whether the presence of the world’s most-wanted terrorist in a garrison town filled with army officers was itself a threat to the sovereignty and security of Pakistan.

Pakistanis are right to see themselves as victims of terrorism and to be offended by American unilateralism in dealing with it. Last year alone, 4,447 people were killed in 476 major terrorist attacks. Over the last decade, thousands of soldiers and law enforcement officers have died fighting terrorists — both homegrown, and those inspired by Al Qaeda’s nihilist ideology.

But if anything, the reaction should be to gear up and fight jihadist ideology and those who perpetrate terrorist acts in its name; they remain the gravest threat to Pakistan’s stability. Instead, our national discourse has been hijacked by those seeking to deflect attention from militant Islamic extremism.

The national mind-set that condones this sort of extremism was cultivated and encouraged under the military dictatorships of Gen. Mohammad Zia ul-Haq from 1977 to 1988 and Gen. Pervez Musharraf from 1999 to 2008. A whole generation of Pakistanis has grown up with textbooks that conflate Pakistani nationalism with Islamist exclusivism.

Anti-Western sentiment and a sense of collective victimhood were cultivated as a substitute for serious debate on social or economic policy. Militant groups were given free rein, originally with American support, to resist the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan, and later became an instrument of Pakistani regional influence there and in Indian-occupied Kashmir.

Pakistan’s return to democracy, after the elections of 2008, offered hope. But the elected government has since been hobbled by domestic political infighting and judicial activism on every issue except extremism and terrorism.

Before Mr. Musharraf was ousted, a populist lawyers’ movement successfully challenged his firing of Supreme Court justices. The lawyers’ willingness to confront Mr. Musharraf in his last days raised hopes of a new era. But over the last four years, the Court has spent most of its energy trying to dislodge the government by insisting on reopening cases of alleged corruption from the 1990s. During the same period, no significant terrorist leader has been convicted, and many have been set free by judges who overtly sympathize with their ideology.

This has happened because the lawyers’ movement split into two factions after Mr. Musharraf’s fall: those emphasizing the rule of law and those seeking to use the judiciary as a rival to elected leaders.

Asma Jahangir, who helped lead the lawyers’ movement, has become a critic of the courts, accusing them of overstepping their constitutional mandate and falling under the influence of the security establishment. And Aitzaz Ahsan, who represented the Supreme Court’s chief justice during the lawyers’ showdown with Mr. Musharraf, is now Prime Minister Gilani’s lawyer in the contempt-of-court case — a clear indication of the political realignment that has taken place.

Meanwhile, Pakistan’s raucous media, whose hard-won freedom is crucial for the success of democracy, has done little to help generate support for eliminating extremism and fighting terrorism. The Supreme Court, conservative opposition parties and the news media insist that confronting alleged incompetence and corruption in the current government is more important than turning Pakistan away from Islamist radicalism.

While fighting Pakistan’s endemic corruption is vital, the media and judiciary have helped redirect attention away from the threat of jihadist ideology by constantly targeting the governing party — a convenient situation for the intelligence services, which would prefer to keep the spotlight on the civilian government rather than on the militant groups they have historically supported.

Convicting the dozens of terrorists released by Pakistani courts should be a greater priority for the country’s judiciary than scoring points against the elected executive branch. And the Pakistani media should be more focused on asking why those deemed terrorists internationally are celebrated as heroes at home.

Until their priorities shift, the empty pronouncements of our leaders against terrorism and the sacrifices of our soldiers in battle with militants will not suffice to change the nation’s course.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/11/op...ster.html?_r=1
The Following User Says Thank You to Toramana For This Useful Post:
Levanaye Zalmaye (05-13-2012)
(#2)
Old
PF senior
Shah-i-Kot is on a distinguished road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default 05-12-2012, 04:11 PM

Is there a specific reason you always omit the authors name whether it be a Farhat Andersen article or in this case an article written by Pakistan's former Ambassador to the US, Hussain Haqqani.

This was the same man who wanted to write a book with Mansur Ijaz about how he helped "America win in A'stan" <<those were his words from his BlackBerry messenger texts. He hoped to make a lot of money out of such a book!!! LOL

According to this former Ambassador Hussain Haqqani, corrupt politicians should be allowed to continue to carry on all in the name of allowing the country to serve Western geopolitical interests to exploit the resources of the region.

What a retarded and nonsense narrative. Criminals should commit crime with impunity!! Commit fraud, stash money away in Swiss accounts, and carry on???

Last edited by Shah-i-Kot; 05-12-2012 at 04:16 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shah-i-Kot For This Useful Post:
Shehbaz Khan (05-15-2012)
(#3)
Old
PF contributor
Levanaye Zalmaye is on a distinguished road

Thanked 1,400 Times in 723 Posts
My Mood: In Love
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default 05-13-2012, 01:08 AM

I see that on PF, Farhat Taj is especially hated because she is an independent woman. Her ideas, too, are reflective of her personality. It is something that most males on Pashtuns Forums cannot tolerate - a woman and a free one at that!

@lynx, I see nothing wrong with the article. Haqqani wants to see Jinnah's Pakistan realized. As a Punjabi, you should support him because the only way Pakistan will survive is if it disassociates itself from these extremist groups.

Haqqani just states that while the focus on corrupt politicians is important, it is also vital for Pakistan's well-being to root out the the bigotry and extremism that are being promoted by the school curriculum and the clean-shaved, suited-booted Jihadi media.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be".

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives".
(#4)
Old
PF senior
BarakzaiAbdali is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanked 2,197 Times in 1,402 Posts
My Mood: Hot
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Default 05-13-2012, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levanaye Zalmaye View Post
I see that on PF, Farhat Taj is especially hated because she is an independent woman. Her ideas, too, are reflective of her personality. It is something that most males on Pashtuns Forums cannot tolerate - a woman and a free one at that!

@lynx, I see nothing wrong with the article. Haqqani wants to see Jinnah's Pakistan realized. As a Punjabi, you should support him because the only way Pakistan will survive is if it disassociates itself from these extremist groups.

Haqqani just states that while the focus on corrupt politicians is important, it is also vital for Pakistan's well-being to root out the the bigotry and extremism that are being promoted by the school curriculum and the clean-shaved, suited-booted Jihadi media.
Quiet wrong my communist ideologue who adheres to a failed philosophy. My disdain for Farhat Taj ANDERSEN has nothing to do with strength of a woman or the lack thereof. My disdain for her is three fold:

1) She claims to speak for Pashtuns and puts down others that dare to venture a guess at their culture. When doing so she exposes herself to the question of just how Pashtun she is. When you sit there and tell Imran Khan, Jan Khan, Bill Khan, or Americans like Peter Bergen that you "arent Pashtun so dont talk because I know them better than you" in nearly every article that you write to target someone' elses piece... then you better damned well attached your surname or expect it to be fair game.
2) She claims ZERO civilian deaths in the strikes. Clives Stafford Smith begs to disagree per his own face to face encounter.
3) Her writing basically fits a party line agenda and pushes it to the extreme.. refer to her recent clown show articles that took 20 pages to get to the d-amn point that Pashtun Nationalists and Taliban are separate parties.

I have no issues with Malalai Joya despite my disagreements with her underlying core beliefs. She usually has some rhetoric that falls within a reasonable range as opposed to that skank that basically gloats about a 100% accuracy rate for a killing machine that its owners dont even believe in.

Basically, I dont hate stupid people
I dont hate smart people

But I sure as hell hate stupid malignant people; and Im GENDER NEUTRAL about that.

"Because none of them can stop the time" - Redemption Song

Last edited by BarakzaiAbdali; 05-13-2012 at 01:38 AM.
(#5)
Old
PF senior
Shah-i-Kot is on a distinguished road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default 05-13-2012, 01:34 AM

Quote:

As a Pashtun, I do not support Hussan Haqqani because he supports war on Pashtuns. He wanted to help give NATO a "victory in A'stan' by extending the war throughout all of FATA, KP, and Balochistan.

As you are half Kashmiri, I am actually quite astonished that you support Hussain Haqqani as he also wants Kashmir to be fully occupied by India.

Last edited by Shah-i-Kot; 05-13-2012 at 01:36 AM.
(#6)
Old
PF contributor
Levanaye Zalmaye is on a distinguished road

Thanked 1,400 Times in 723 Posts
My Mood: In Love
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default 05-13-2012, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarakzaiAbdali View Post
Quiet wrong my communist ideologue who adheres to a failed philosophy.
Haha straight to the offensive! The Soviet Union collapsed and so did 4 different Caliphates. Many things have failed, my friend. In the end, working for the wretched instead of hoping for fairies to feed them in exchange for holy words is more reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarakzaiAbdali View Post
My disdain for Farhat Taj ANDERSEN has nothing to do with strength of a woman or the lack thereof. My disdain for her is three fold:

1) She claims to speak for Pashtuns and puts down others that dare to venture a guess at their culture. When doing so she exposes herself to the question of just how Pashtun she is. When you sit there and tell Imran Khan, Jan Khan, Bill Khan, or Americans like Peter Bergen that you "arent Pashtun so dont talk because I know them better than you" in nearly every article that you write to target someone' elses piece... then you better damned well attached your surname or expect it to be fair game.
2) She claims ZERO civilian deaths in the strikes. Clives Stafford Smith begs to disagree per his own face to face encounter.
3) Her writing basically fits a party line agenda and pushes it to the extreme.. refer to her recent clown show articles that took 20 pages to get to the d-amn point that Pashtun Nationalists and Taliban are separate parties.

I have no issues with Malalai Joya despite my disagreements with her underlying core beliefs. She usually has some rhetoric that falls within a reasonable range as opposed to that skank that basically gloats about a 100% accuracy rate for a killing machine that its owners dont even believe in.

Basically, I dont hate stupid people
I dont hate smart people

But I sure as hell hate stupid malignant people.
1) Marrying a non-Pashtun doesn't make a man or a woman non-Pashtun or less Pashtun. Ideally, Pashtuns should marry Pashtuns but she has chosen not to do so. Moreover, it distracts us from the contents of her articles. The focus should be on what is being said instead of who is saying it. The former is important, the latter is trivial if it's the truth you want.

2) She does? If that really is the case, she's wrong on that point. If anything, when Baitullah Mehsud was targeted, he was with his wife and she, too, was killed in that attack. I don't see how Farhat Taj could have missed that.

3) The Taliban have blown up the shrines of Rahman Baba and Ajmal Khattak. They say nationalism is kufr. They support Punjabi organizations such as the SSP and the LJ that murder Pashtun civilians in Parachinar. The Taliban do not believe in the unity of all Pashtuns/Afghans. Many Taliban are pro-Pakistan. Even the TTP, which is fighting the Pakistan government, has stated time and again that its aim is to make Pakistan Islamic and hence, it does not aim to hasten its disintegration. The Taliban have killed more Pashtun civilians than the Punjabi Army and possibly even NATO. They've blown up more than a thousand schools. The list goes on..

The Taliban are many things but they are not Pashtun nationalists. The Taliban ideology itself is a foreign concoction that was imported into this region to satisfy the West and its brown slaves.

Farhat Taj is an admirable woman and she speaks in favor of Pashtuns in a world where we Pashtuns are represented as barbarians. Why don't Imran Khan supporters ask their Punjabi overlords to order the Arabs and other foreigners in Waziristan to leave so that the US stops its drone strikes? Why is your Pakistani air force not blamed for not shooting down these drones while Farhat Taj is condemned for saying that the drones kill people who have conquered and oppressed the peaceful people of Waziristan? Why are the Taliban not blamed for specifically hiding in civilian areas in order to avoid being targeted?

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be".

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives".
(#7)
Old
PF senior

Default 05-13-2012, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Haha straight to the offensive! The Soviet Union collapsed and so did 4 different Caliphates. Many things have failed, my friend. In the end, working for the wretched instead of hoping for fairies to feed them in exchange for holy words is more reasonable.

>> Wrong. Islam survives across 1400 years and still is enough of a potent threat to the lopsided world order when its most basic prescriptions, for instance, of an interest free world banking system + the rich giving to the poor that need not ask and ought to do their utmost + meritocracy are realized.

Yours? Yours couldnt even make it 100 years from its 1917 brutal introduction that killed a Czar's kids.

1) Marrying a non-Pashtun doesn't make a man or a woman non-Pashtun or less Pashtun. Ideally, Pashtuns should marry Pashtuns but she has chosen not to do so. Moreover, it distracts us from the contents of her articles. The focus should be on what is being said instead of who is saying it. The former is important, the latter is trivial if it's the truth you want.

>> Exactly, and a non Pashtun ought to experience the same dignity instead of her trite rejoinders that she skulks in the dark corners of FATA and that somehow she knows more than anyone else because of these encounters she "cannot comment on." So please tell her to send her apology to the New America Foundation for her modus operandi in her articles is: Heeeey dude, your Panjabi.... Hey duuude, Your grandaddy was Pashtun but you're not.... Heey duuuude, Pete Bergen your studies dont mean anything because Im Pashtun.

>> And yes her last name matters because she claims to harmonize with the Pashtun cosmic note as opposed to all other authors.

2) She does? If that really is the case, she's wrong on that point. If anything, when Baitullah Mehsud was targeted, he was with his wife and she, too, was killed in that attack. I don't see how Farhat Taj could have missed that.

>> read her earlier articles on drone strikes. Read the ones where she targets Bergen's organization. Its sickening as well as stupid.

3) The Taliban have blown up the shrines of Rahman Baba and Ajmal Khattak. They say nationalism is kufr. They support Punjabi organizations such as the SSP and the LJ that murder Pashtun civilians in Parachinar. The Taliban do not believe in the unity of all Pashtuns/Afghans. Many Taliban are pro-Pakistan. Even the TTP, which is fighting the Pakistan government, has stated time and again that its aim is to make Pakistan Islamic and hence, it does not aim to hasten its disintegration. The Taliban have killed more Pashtun civilians than the Punjabi Army and possibly even NATO. They've blown up more than a thousand schools. The list goes on..

The Taliban are many things but they are not Pashtun nationalists. The Taliban ideology itself is a foreign concoction that was imported into this region to satisfy the West and its brown slaves.

>> Thats the point... the taliban never claimed it and the term when used by the White Western media does not conflate them with anything except being a predominantly Pashtun movement comprised of folks with a belief system that rejects Nationalism. It took her 20 pages to tell us something we all already knew and never claimed.

Its like someone saying Dubya Bush is a nationalist or is Ron Paul is a nationalist. Both terms attempt do NOT necessarily marry with the term patriotic.

Her attempt is to monopolize and synonomize the Nationalist agenda with Patriotism. The two may or may not overlap and the latter is in the eye of the beholder.

Farhat Taj is an admirable woman and she speaks in favor of Pashtuns in a world where we Pashtuns are represented as barbarians. Why don't Imran Khan supporters ask their Punjabi overlords to order the Arabs and other foreigners in Waziristan to leave so that the US stops its drone strikes? Why is your Pakistani air force not blamed for not shooting down these drones while Farhat Taj is condemned for saying that the drones kill people who have conquered and oppressed the peaceful people of Waziristan? Why are the Taliban not blamed for specifically hiding in civilian areas in order to avoid being targeted?
>> Correction, your Pakistani airforce lad. Your party system wherein you support that bastion of party politics of participation, the ANP or PMAP.

As I said, my qualm with the stupid idiot is that she attempts to
1) Speak for FATA as if they declare Eid when a drone flies above their head - without a bit of proof and without even taking on the contradicting proof of Clive Stafford Smith
2) Say that there is a zero percent civilian kill rate.

Last edited by BarakzaiAbdali; 05-13-2012 at 02:05 AM.
(#8)
Old
PF senior

Default 05-13-2012, 02:03 AM

Quote:

I've read each and every single one of her articles and gone through them with fine tooth combs. Go back and read her early series in which she attacks all comers on the Civilian deaths claim. Before you defend someone simply because they look, speak, or act the way you prefer perhaps you ought to actually take the time to read the compendium of their drivel.

(#9)
Old
PF senior

Default 05-13-2012, 02:14 AM

Quote:

Go back to her 2010 piece where she still is insistent that she doesnt want to hear about Civilian deaths and demands proof of it again despite what New American Foundation provided. She followed up with one of her usual threats of writing some shoddy research paper... its like riiiight lady... anyone is going to believe a communist wannabe over a generally unbiased institute.. or one that is providing information counter to the claims of the country that it sits in. She then goes on to relent a wee bit and says... well if ANY civilian deaths occurred its ALL family members of militants.

I have yet to see someone so sociopathic. She truly does fit the term Anti Taliban from her own coining as if we see Talibanyaan as extreme... she is the other sickening insectile murderous extreme.

Tags
fester, pakistan, terrorism