Pashtun Community | Pashtuns | Pashto |
World's Largest Online Pashtun Community

Go Back   Pashtun Community | Pashtuns | Pashto | > General & Leisure > Hujra - حجره
Reload this Page Which country offers a good life?
User Tag List

(#1)
Old
PF Moderator
torkham is on a distinguished road

My Mood: Angry
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Which country offers a good life? - 07-14-2011, 06:12 PM

Many PF members are living outside Afghanistan and Pakistan. From experience what has your host nation offered you that contstitutes a good life? (in terms of employment, health, education, rights/freedom, security, stability etc).

I will start:
Dubai. Been here 3 years.
Muslim country
Employment is tax free
Employment packages are much better for western passport holders; accomodation free, utilities free, medical plan ranging from basic to OK, children education financial support
Hospitals are better resourced, cleaner, that many found in Afghanistan and Pakistan - but to access these facilities high rate insurance is required

Education in local schools is well resourced but traditional and slowly changing. In private schools, well there are american-style, british-style, international-style schools starting at approx Euros 8000 PA offering american, british and international (official) certifications

Universities are mostly geared towards financial and business education. scientific/technical faculties are developing. expensive. accreditation is lacking. Post-doc limited

Sharia Law. Freedom to immerse in Islamic life and culture
Personal security and civil security is high. Individuals are safe from crime compared to many western countries
Property rights are limited, forget about owning property freehold
Can only buy property designated for expats - eg, cannot own land and build a villa in Jumeirah or Hatta unless you are an Emirati
Very restricted rights, poor employment rights, no company pension, no security against inscrupulous employers, many rights that you have in the west are violated

1-2-1 Emiratis are very polite, respectful people in general. However it can easily go wrong if they feel that you an an ex-pat make an opinion they do not like, sense of balance, equality can easily become a disaster

Weather is hot, desert region, about 3 months are unbearable otherwise blue skies warm temperatures and hardly any rain

culturally limited to bedouin desert lifestyle, and heritage has not been restored well, the govt is trying to save what it can, a little late though

expats outnumber locals. majority are south indians, then KPK pakistanis, non-gulf arabs, phillipinos, then western expats. Lots of very rich indians living at Emirates Hills and The Palms.

it is a land of hope for millions of poor people, and a place to earn some hard cash, at a ruthless price

it is a playground for middle classes of neighbouring countries

it is a haven for ultra rich, runaway criminals, politicians and others

anyone can come here as long as there is a local job offer or if investing

for me
this country offers me total muslim environment and sharia law, a job that pays better than anywhere else in the world, i am close to afghanistan to travel easily three to four times a year, i like the weather, and the islamic environment, i hear the azan five times a day real time

what it does not offer is human dignity,the security and freedom to own my home freehold, a pension, freedom to remain here if i lose my job (yes you have to leave the country), freedom/human rights, unions

this is my opinion, may have missed a few points.

I want contributions so we can make a choice of where to live in exile. Manana.

USA/Canada/UK/France/Germany/Sweden/Turkey/Lebanon/Jordan
Syria/Egypt Libya Morrocco/Iran/ etc etc

Last edited by torkham; 07-14-2011 at 07:36 PM.
(#2)
Old
PF senior
MostafaM is on a distinguished road

My Mood: Inspired
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default 07-14-2011, 06:42 PM

Dubai, another fake creation.
A person uses 500 liters of water a day in Dubai. (average ammount)
Given the fact that Dubai has absolutly no water resources but desalines seawater, it is a catastrophical waste of energy, water and other resources that is going on in Dubai.

The world is dying and Dubai is one of the butchers.

Sustainable Footprint
(#3)
Old
PF Bacha
Master Khan is on a distinguished road

Thanked 1,215 Times in 936 Posts
My Mood: Innocent
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default 07-14-2011, 07:02 PM

Ramadan in Dubai must be a nightmare, I mean in Dubai you drink alot of Water and in augest its going to be really hot.

Khyber Pakhtunkhwa!

خیبر پښتونخوا manana Tor Khan
(#4)
Old
PF knowledgeable
Gulbabo is an unknown quantity at this point

My Mood: Amazed
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default 07-14-2011, 07:20 PM

Dubai is a place to live? haha... thats interesting.

i could write a whole paper about why Dubai is NOT a place to live. but i am sure u know exactly what i am talking about.

(#5)
Old
PF Moderator

Default 07-14-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostafa1919 View Post
Dubai, another fake creation.
A person uses 500 liters of water a day in Dubai. (average ammount)
Given the fact that Dubai has absolutly no water resources but desalines seawater, it is a catastrophical waste of energy, water and other resources that is going on in Dubai.

The world is dying and Dubai is one of the butchers.

Sustainable Footprint
mustafa jan, you are 100% right, dubai is a deliberate ecological disaster, totally devoid of care or planning or consideration. the abuse of resources is sickening, where as countries like china or brazil, equal disaster zones, but they have no other resources and POOR people are exploiting what ever they can get their hands on.

what country can you recommend?
(#6)
Old
PF senior
MostafaM is on a distinguished road

My Mood: Inspired
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default 07-14-2011, 07:31 PM

Hmmm, the places I recommend are Sweden, Germany, Canada and Austria

- quasi social-democracies
- everyone has the chance for a dignified life
- social security
- civil sociaties
- studying is free in Germany, Sweden and Austria, in Canada not that easy, so social advancement is available for everyone; the absence of elitarianism in these sociaties cannot be topped by any other country in the world.
The Following User Says Thank You to MostafaM For This Useful Post:
torkham (07-14-2011)
(#7)
Old
PF Moderator

Default 07-14-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulbabo View Post
Dubai is a place to live? haha... thats interesting.

i could write a whole paper about why Dubai is NOT a place to live. but i am sure u know exactly what i am talking about.
Gulbabo, believe me I know the slavery and abuses of innocent poor desparate human beings that goes on here; the inequity of law for locals and (developing country) expats, the sex trade, the maids, the labourers, the unjustly tried. That is one of the reasons I am looking for alternative place to live whilst out of watan.

can you recommend another place, the good and the bad?
(#8)
Old
PF senior
Michin Khel is on a distinguished road

Thanked 1,396 Times in 1,035 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default 07-14-2011, 07:39 PM

I would recommend Pakistan because,
-it is a muslim country and castle of islam
-Lot of natural beauty
-Every thing is at cheap price
-and because pakistan would be super power in 2050.

(#9)
Old
PF knowledgeable
Gulbabo is an unknown quantity at this point

My Mood: Amazed
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default 07-14-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torkham View Post
Gulbabo, believe me I know the slavery and abuses of innocent poor desparate human beings that goes on here; the inequity of law for locals and (developing country) expats, the sex trade, the maids, the labourers, the unjustly tried. That is one of the reasons I am looking for alternative place to live whilst out of watan.

can you recommend another place, the good and the bad?
here is what I recommend. California. not just US but ONLY California. I also have heard alot of good things about Canada.

here is what i think of this place i call home:

I can not speak for the whole US, as i have not really visited every state in USA. but i have gone all around the world and California is what i call home... (of course my first love is my own country Afghanistan, but unfortunately i can't live there )

There are many positive aspects of living in California, mainly the bay area or silicon valley and here are a few.

1. First and far most. Bay area has the most beautiful weather in the world. Its never too cold and its never too hot. we rarely ever need AC and we rarely ever need heater. This place is called sun-shine state and it serves its name right. 70 percent of the year is breezy, cool fresh weather. This state is full of Nature's beauty. It has numerous recreational area for nature lovers. it has one of the best camping sites, lakes, beaches, and also theme parks. you can never run out of places you can visit. it is ultimately a place to live.

2. Employment opportunity is more than anywhere in the world. There are always jobs available here. With the current economy it has faced a little down turn with jobs but even then there are many opportunities available for people living in this area. It is very expensive to live in this place, due to the reason listed in number 1, but your job will pay you higher than anywhere in the united states. California human right laws, and employment right laws are the best in the entire world. You as an employee-you are protected by law. The companies operating in this states are well aware of the law and they are very scared to do anything unfair to any of their employee.... You are a human first and then someone's employee and that is how u are treated.

3. Bay area is home to more than 100 different ethnicities and backgrounds from all around the world, which means just like Dubai, the whole world has come together here. You can easily find any type of food, clothes, and groceries that you wish for. There is halaal food, halaal restuarants, halaal grocery stores in every corners. there are more than 2 to 3 mosques in every city here. and a large muslim community that comes together for many religious events, and celebrations. you can be who you want to be here, you can wear what you want... burqa, jilbab, patkai, kamees partog anything you want...and not feel akward. after 9/11 things have changed a little bit , but its still a lottttt better than rest of the country.

4. it is home to some of the top universities in the world... with financial aid available to those who can't pay for their education. one can also apply for student loans but some don't like to do that due to religious constraints. education is really really good here and most of the californians have gone through some type of undergraduate education.

i can write so much about everything that is good about living here...

those were the pros... i will write the cons later.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gulbabo For This Useful Post:
faye (07-15-2011), Laila (07-14-2011), torkham (07-14-2011)
(#10)
Old
PF senior
Haris is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,040 Posts
My Mood: Tired
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Default 07-14-2011, 07:47 PM

I always wanted to live in one of those South-East Asian countries like Indonesia, Malaysia or Singapore. I wonder if anyone here lives/lived there?

In Britain:
  • Economy: Just recovered from a recession. But still many cuts in services and higher public costs. The economy is still recovering.
  • Healthcare: Free. Good quality.
  • Education: Good standard of education. Top Univesties. Good opportunities although becoming alot more competitive. University fees lower than other developed countries like US/Japan but higher now than before.
  • Stability: Very stable
  • Employment: Many opportunities although the top jobs are always competitive. Wages are high compared to other countries. Get's alot of immigrants for this reason.
  • Freedoms/Rights: Very good. Have the opportunity to protest/many rights as a citizen and a worker.
  • Status of Islam: Many mosques in urban areas. Big Muslim community in London and other big cities like Birmingham. Maybe some Islamophobia but nothing to worry about.
  • Living costs: Depends where you are. In London it is very high compared to the rest of Britain or other similar countries. House price are ridiculous. petrol (gas) prices very high.
  • Weather: cold in Winter and warm in Summer. Rains alot in Spring, Autumn and Winter. Generally good temperate climate but everyone always complains.
  • Culture: Pretty materialistic but not as much as the US. Very liberal set of values. Very diverse in big cities like London, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Birmingham. Many different types of people. Lot's of pubs. Young people get drunk alot.
  • Tax: Very high. Can be upto 40% if you are a top earner.
  • History: The country has a distinct history. Also there are many world class museums/libraries and other instituions.
  • Transport: Everyone hates it, alot. Including me. But to be fair it is very good compared to other countries.

---
To advise others is an easy matter, the difficulty is accepting advice -- since it is bitter for those who follow their
own inclinations and desires

-Imam al Ghazali
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Haris For This Useful Post:
faye (07-15-2011), Michin Khel (07-14-2011), torkham (07-14-2011)

Tags
country, good, life, offers