Pashtun Community | Pashtuns | Pashto |
World's Largest Online Pashtun Community

Go Back   Pashtun Community | Pashtuns | Pashto | > Politics & Current Affairs > Religion - دين > Khadaamul Islam
Reload this Page Tajweed Lesson Four: Makhraj al Lisaan
User Tag List

(#1)
Old
*Mahzala*

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Tajweed Lesson Four: Makhraj al Lisaan - 01-01-2011, 09:43 AM

This is a continuation of our previous lesson on the general makhraj of some of the letters, bearing in mind that we haven’t yet covered the entire alphabet.

What does Makhraj al Lisaan mean?
Makhraj al Lisaan refers to the articulation points of the tongue. The tongue, in terms of where the sound of the letters comes from, is divided into ten unique parts, as opposed to the throat (previous lesson) which has three. Below is an outline of the letters and how they are pronounced.

1. Lowest part – qaa/ق – further part up to the soft palate, right above the throat.

Highest part –kaa/ك – second further part up to the hard palate.

3. Middle – gaa ج /sha ش /yaa ى – entire middle portion. These letters are not common to make mistakes in as they are common to most languages.

4. Edge of the tongue – dhaa/ض – this is the most difficult letter in the Arabic alphabet and it is pronounced on the one edge of one’s tongue connected with the upper molar teeth. Most people do it from the left part, some from the right and very few are skilled at pronouncing it from both sides.

5. Front and behind the canines – laa/ل – Again, a common letter with few mistakes.

6. Tip of the tongue connected to the molars behind the canines – naa/ن – Common to many languages.

7. Tip of the tongue with gums behind the upper teeth – raa/ر – the most common mistake with this letter is that it is confused with the English ‘R’. Another mistake is that the letter is rolled in the tongue. This shouldn’t happen. Examples will be provided in the audio.

8. Tip of the tongue and upper portion with the gums behind the incisors – daa د / ttaa ط /taa ت

9. Tip of the tongue as it connects with the gum and the incisors but with a slight gap – saa س /ssao ص /zaa ز

10. Upper surface of the tongue and the outside incisors – tha ث /dha ذ /dhao ظ

I hope this has cleared some misunderstandings and has been of benefit. Be sure to ask questions. I will report back with a suitable audio InshaAllah. And a heads up on the next few lessons, they will be quite different to the past few, in that we will begin the actual introduction of the rules and complete the pronunciation of letters InshaAllah. I'd appreciate feedback, either private or public. Do not hesitate to ask any questions, as no question is too small and everyone can benefit.

~Mahzala.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
єѕαρχαι (01-01-2011), abubaker (01-01-2011), Admin Khan (01-01-2011), MeemWawMeemNoon (02-14-2011)
(#2)
Old
Administrator
Admin Khan is on a distinguished road

Thanked 4,624 Times in 2,298 Posts
My Mood: Stressed
Mentioned: 175 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default 01-01-2011, 07:24 PM

Teacher,

Thank you for your valuable lesson.

Even Adobe Photoshop can't change me.

A line[Durrand line] of hatred that raised a wall between the two brothers -Hamid Karzai

For generations, the Hindus of India prayed for deliverance from "the venom of the cobra, the teeth of the tiger and the vengeance of the Afghan."

The men of Kábul and Khilj also went home; and whenever they were questioned about the Musulmáns of the Kohistán (the mountains), and how matters stood there, they said, "Don't call it Kohistán, but Afghánistán; for there is nothing there but Afgháns and disturbances." Thus it is clear that for this reason the people of the country call their home in their own language Afghánistán, and themselves Afgháns. The people of India call them Patán; but the reason for this is not known. But it occurs to me, that when, under the rule of Muhammadan sovereigns, Musulmáns first came to the city of Patná, and dwelt there, the people of India (for that reason) called them Patáns—but God knows!

-Ferishta, 1560–1620
(#3)
Old
*Mahzala*

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default 01-01-2011, 07:44 PM

The teacher title is a bit too big for my shoes. You're most welcome Admin Khan.

Jasmineh,
I am so happy to hear that. I used to do the same with my own notes (from my own teacher) when I first started Tajweed lessons. I would leave my Tajweed notebook open alongside the Quran and it helps a lot as you're applying the rules as you learn them.

All, I will be posting some questions shortly to test our understanding. I will appreciate some feedback, either private or public.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
MeemWawMeemNoon (02-14-2011)

Tags
lesson, lisaan, makhraj, tajweed