Pashtun Community | Pashtuns | Pashto |
World's Largest Online Pashtun Community

Go Back   Pashtun Community | Pashtuns | Pashto | > Society & Heritage > Pashto Language - پښتو ژبه
Reload this Page Kandahari is original pashto
User Tag List

Closed Thread

(#1)
Old
PF senior
Michin Khel is on a distinguished road

Thanked 1,399 Times in 1,035 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Kandahari is original pashto - 12-15-2010, 03:43 AM

My observation says that kandahari pashto is original while kheen dialect is derived from it. I will support my theory with just two examples.
For watchman word 'chokidaar' is used in urdu (i think it must be a farsi word). We also use chokidaar, obviously it is foriegn word. But i have noted that those with kheen dialect corrupt it to 'sokidaar'.
Similarly we use 'hoshiar' for intelligent which is a farsi word but those with kheen dialect corrupt the original word to 'hokhiar'.
As we know yousafzis have migrated from kandahar, so in new place of living they seem to have undergone modification in their langauge .

The Following User Says Thank You to Michin Khel For This Useful Post:
(#2)
Old
PF contributor
Yousafzai Pakhtun is on a distinguished road

Thanked 1,033 Times in 614 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Default 12-15-2010, 04:04 AM

Luffy as far as Sokidaar is concerned Urdudaan/farsiwan use it as Chokidar because they use Chokee for "Check point" while we Yousafzai's call it Sokai......also used as a verb like "Maa Sokai kawala che sok una' takhtee" .....so that is why we use Sokidaar instead Chowkidaar.........

Na soz sho na saaz sho,
Bas hasy jwand tamam sho
(#3)
Old
Administrator
tor_khan is on a distinguished road

Thanked 1,724 Times in 991 Posts
My Mood: Cheeky
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Default 12-16-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
As we know yousafzis have migrated from kandahar.
Brotherhood sealed.

(#4)
Old
PF Bacha
Master Khan is on a distinguished road

Thanked 1,215 Times in 936 Posts
My Mood: Innocent
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default 12-16-2010, 01:48 PM

When I first heard their pashto I though they were speaking half Dari and Half Pashto lol

Khyber Pakhtunkhwa!

خیبر پښتونخوا manana Tor Khan
(#5)
Old
Wrayun

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default 12-17-2010, 04:43 AM

I disagree.

Because chokidaar, and hoshiar, are similar sounding in Urdu/Farsi as it they are in the SH dialect, I can argue that the SH dialect is heavily influenced by Persian/Parsi language. Urdu itself is half Persian/Parsi, ask Feroz Banu. Kandahar, only became a Pukhtoon domain after Mirwais Hotak revolt. Before that it was a domain of many people, particularly the Persians where Farsi/Parsi was prevalent. Even after the establishment of the first Pukhtoon/Afghan state under Mirwais Hotak, the court language was Persian.

To support that KH dialect is original, I will give examples from Pukhto itself. There are words that can not be substituted by the SH dialect for example Khula, Khiran, Khanda, Khwara, Khwa, Khudai, Makh etc. I think the KH dialect is older than the SH dialect, as ancient Avestan and Persian were KH dialects. The softer dialects are modern.

Another thing I noticed that comes from Persian influence is the "O" pronunciation. Kabal is Kabol, Afghan is AOghan, or Afghon, jaan (older) is jon etc.
(#6)
Old
PF senior
Michin Khel is on a distinguished road

Thanked 1,399 Times in 1,035 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default 12-17-2010, 04:53 AM

Not every word has to be substituted. Wrayun ur logic is flawed.
I can also say that there are words which are not substituted by kheen dialect e.g shaitan, shonday, raisha, shay, tash, shoda etc

(#7)
Old
graveyardofempires

Default 12-22-2010, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousafzai Pakhtun View Post
Luffy as far as Sokidaar is concerned Urdudaan/farsiwan use it as Chokidar because they use Chokee for "Check point" while we Yousafzai's call it Sokai......also used as a verb like "Maa Sokai kawala che sok una' takhtee" .....so that is why we use Sokidaar instead Chowkidaar.........
chaokidaar means someone who is on guard in other words some one who is sitting on a chair and holding guard.or someone who is protecting the chair.
my guess
and its also called gazma
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Yousafzai Pakhtun (12-22-2010)
(#8)
Old
graveyardofempires

Default 12-22-2010, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Your logic is very flawed Wrayun, I hate to say that but you are being biased. Many scholars and many people who have researched this matter have claimed that sheen is more original. In fact, in Afghanistan the standard of Pashto is the sheen dialect. It is what is taught in schools and universities. By your logic, I can give you examples that can't be substituted by KH.

Shundawar = big lips
shorokawal = starting
shara = bad threat
i disagree

im from the kunar and must say kandahari pashto has many words from dari
and eastern dialect which is used in kunar,laghman,jalalabad,peshawer,bajaur is the written language.

and this dialect is also spoken in northern cities of kunduz etc as well.

in kandahri dialect they say seeban and darakhtan which totally not pashto.

the written pashto is mostly the eastern afghanistan dialect and down to pukhtunkhwa.as we can see on the afghan and pukhtunkhwa tv channels,
(#9)
Old
Wrayun

Default 12-22-2010, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Your logic is very flawed Wrayun, I hate to say that but you are being biased. Many scholars and many people who have researched this matter have claimed that sheen is more original. In fact, in Afghanistan the standard of Pashto is the sheen dialect. It is what is taught in schools and universities. By your logic, I can give you examples that can't be substituted by KH.

Shundawar = big lips
shorokawal = starting
shara = bad threat
Shuru is Urdu/Farsi, Shaitan is Arabic, Shakal is Arabic, Shay is Arabic.
Don't know about Shara, but yeah Shunday/Shundawar are Pukhto. Though I can present many words with KH vs. SH that are unique to Pukhto alone.

Sheen can't be original, because both the written script, and the traditions behind it are heavily influenced by Arabic and Parsi. The fact that this is the dialect thought doesn't make it original. We have to also see where the history of the teaching institutions come from, and the material they utilized.

On the other hand there is much evidence that KH, K dialect is much older since many people who wrote about earliest Pukhtoons didn't do so in the region of Kandahar but in the area which is Paktia, Paktika, and the surrounding areas. They were historically referred to as Paktues, Pakhta, and Pactyan.

I'm not being biased, the bias usually comes from the predominate and prevalent ideas amongst the masses for example Kandahar is the birth place of Pukhtoons, or Kandahar is the birth place of Pukhto. Kandahar is the capital of Pukhtoons and holds a very special place amongst Pukhtoons but it is not the birth place of Pukhtoons or Pukhto. That needs more research.
(#10)
Old
PF senior
Mayana is on a distinguished road

My Mood: Busy
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default 12-22-2010, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graveyardofempires View Post
i disagree

im from the kunar and must say kandahari pashto has many words from dari
and eastern dialect which is used in kunar,laghman,jalalabad,peshawer,bajaur is the written language.

and this dialect is also spoken in northern cities of kunduz etc as well.

in kandahri dialect they say seeban and darakhtan which totally not pashto.

the written pashto is mostly the eastern afghanistan dialect and down to pukhtunkhwa.as we can see on the afghan and pukhtunkhwa tv channels,

That is colloquial Kandahari dialect. Any form of colloquial Pashto will have "impurities". In Kandahar, they happen to be from Dari, in other places they are from Urdu or English.
In formal Kandahari Pashto, in offices, papers, schools etc. only Pashto words are used and every letter in the Pashto alphabet is pronounced distinctly.

Daa zma lewanay Zrra gorah, daa sta lewanee Mina..
Za ba da Sahra warnakam da Iran pa Golestan,
Dalta za yao & yakta yam, halta zar zma pa Shaan
Closed Thread

Tags
kandahari, original, pashto