Pashtun Community | Pashtuns | Pashto |
World's Largest Online Pashtun Community

Go Back   Pashtun Community | Pashtuns | Pashto | > Society & Heritage > Pashtun History - د پښتنو تاريخ
Reload this Page Pashtun Maternal DNA and Genealogy
User Tag List

(#11)
Old
PF senior
Khostai is an unknown quantity at this point

My Mood: Angelic
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 10-19-2012, 10:22 AM

I don't know why peopel do this test whats the benefit of it?
(#12)
Old
PF knowledgeable
Midnight_Sun is on a distinguished road

My Mood: Amused
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default Q - 10-20-2012, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torkham View Post
I am curious how and where are you getting these tests done.

I know of my pashtun lineage simply from my parents, grand parents being pashtun with one female member nuristani. So in doing one of these tests what will i know?

Can some one explain which test will tell me what?
Which test is recommended as first test to ascertain my generic ancestry region i am linked to.
You could find out where your tribe originally came from. Were they part of the Proto-Indo-European speakers? Were they Turks or Huns? East Asian? South Indian? African? etc.

Knowing your genetic history, can also tell you what kind of diseases you are prone to. For instance, maternal lineages like U5 show fast progression of Auto-Immune diseases.

Testing rare lineages, like female Nuristanis helps people understand human migration throughout the eons. If you allow the scientific community access to your genetic genealogy, they can use your data, as they have my own, in understanding for instance, the migration pattern of R1a1.

My goal is to find out how my father's paternal tribe spread around Afghanistan, and how old is their lineage. I also wanted to learn more about my ethnicity, which is Ghilzai Pashtun.

Now that I have a good foundation, I can now begin testing other people from my father's tribe, who don't have a direct link with us, to see how many generations ago our tribe split. Apparently, my dad's tribe split into two geographic regions. One group settled in Maidan Shar, near Kabul, and the other went to Nangrahar. The progenitor is said to be buried in Nangrahar somewhere. After testing, I should be able to find out if we have the same ancestor or not.

The more Pashtuns that contribute, the better understand we have of where we are really from. I really wish for a study specifically of Pashtuns that helps to trace whether we are all related on the tribal tree, or if, for instance, there is really a genetic difference between Baitani, Sarbani, Gharghasht, and Karlani Pashtuns. Maybe they were all related, or maybe some are completely not related at all.

If you are interesting in knowing your genetic genealogy, start off either by going through Family Tree DNA service or through NatGeo.
(#13)
Old
PF knowledgeable

Default 10-21-2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khostai View Post
I don't know why peopel do this test whats the benefit of it?
It's not for everybody. It's also a very expensive hobby.
(#14)
Old
PF knowledgeable

Default 10-21-2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karachi View Post
^ yeah, seems like a really old haplogroup, I dont know my mtdna but my Ydna is Q1b. It is found anywhere from Russia to India. the Mutation of Q1b only took palce about 800-1000 years ago (estimated) some where in central asia. so whoever my ancestors were, they were not very long ago
Q was found in significant frequency in Pashtuns in a study, but it is not 50% as Wikipedia for some reason says it is. The study they cite has only 2%, or 9 out of 49 Pashtuns tested positive for it. Over 50% tested were actually R1a1.
(#15)
Old
PF senior
Karachi is on a distinguished road

Thanked 1,312 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Default 10-21-2012, 02:54 PM

^ Q is found is very low frequency all over and it is really spread out. my subgroup Q1b is even rarer. R1a1 is a dominant haplogroup, I really wonder how though? how did it spread so quickly all over from Europe to India, it's a big mystery
(#16)
Old
PF knowledgeable

Default 11-17-2012, 12:15 PM

They had chariots and horses.
(#17)
Old
PF Frequent visitor
pashtanajan is on a distinguished road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default 11-17-2012, 07:15 PM

^ Ahaha.

Interesting results Midnight_Sun!

I'd like to get my mt-dna tested, as my great-grandma from my mom's side is a Nuristani, meaning I have the same mt-dna as her – I find that interesting, as they're a 'rare' people, so to say.

True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us. - Socrates
(#18)
Old
PF knowledgeable

Default 11-17-2012, 09:59 PM

Pashtana Jaan,

I recommend Geno 2.0 since it will identify your maternal and paternal subclade, also your autosomal DNA to see where (geographically) your DNA path is most frequent. On top of that, it will even show how much of your DNA came from extinct hominid speces like Denisovans and Neanderthals.

You can find more info about it here:

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/n...a-ancestry-kit

If you want a simple mtDNA test, I'd recommend Family Tree's mtFull sequence as this will identify your subclade:

http://www.familytreedna.com/mt-dna-compare.aspx

---

Good luck and when you get your results, share them here
The Following User Says Thank You to Midnight_Sun For This Useful Post:
pashtanajan (11-17-2012)
(#19)
Old
PF Frequent visitor
pashtanajan is on a distinguished road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default 11-17-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight_Sun View Post
Pashtana Jaan,

I recommend Geno 2.0 since it will identify your maternal and paternal subclade, also your autosomal DNA to see where (geographically) your DNA path is most frequent. On top of that, it will even show how much of your DNA came from extinct hominid speces like Denisovans and Neanderthals.

You can find more info about it here:

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/n...a-ancestry-kit

If you want a simple mtDNA test, I'd recommend Family Tree's mtFull sequence as this will identify your subclade:

http://www.familytreedna.com/mt-dna-compare.aspx

---

Good luck and when you get your results, share them here
Thank you Midnight_Sun for the links you've given me. I think I'll do this soon enough, maybe after a month or two. I'm going to go with the Geno 2.0. I was expecting more than two-hundred dollars for the kit, as you mentioned it was pretty expensive, but it's a fair price to pay to see how hundreds of your ancestors contributed to making you, well – you.

Oh yes, and I'll definitely share my results once I get them!

True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us. - Socrates
(#20)
Old
PF knowledgeable

Default 11-17-2012, 11:28 PM

Great choice!

I have to say that it will not determine your father's paternal lineage, since you're a woman, sorry, for some reason I was thinking of my own results. But if you have your brother, or maternal uncle, you can test them and get paternal ancestry information and also your maternal lineage.

Tags
dna, genealogy, maternal, pashtun