Pashtun Community | Pashtuns | Pashto |
World's Largest Online Pashtun Community

Go Back   Pashtun Community | Pashtuns | Pashto | > Society & Heritage > Pashtun History - د پښتنو تاريخ
Reload this Page Tavrad El Sharif and Pashtun Past?
User Tag List

(#1)
Old
PF newbie
Bani Israel is on a distinguished road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Tavrad El Sharif and Pashtun Past? - 09-29-2012, 07:17 PM

I hear many of the Pashtun tribes have an Israelite past and some even still keep anceint traditions found in the Torah or as you call it Tavrad El Sharif

Rabbani Tribe is really Reuben,
Shinware Tribe is Shimon,
Lewani Tribe is Levi,
Daftani Tribe is Naphtali,
Jaji Tribe is Gad,
Ashuri Tribe is Asher,
Yusefsai Tribe is sons of Joseph
Afridi Tribe is Ephraim

These are 8 of the 12 tribes of Israel.

I myself am from the tribe of Juda and thus I am known as a Jew, there are many amoungst us that are also from the tribes of Levi and Benjamin and together we make the tribes of Israel,

I have heard you still maintain the following traditions and laws and I would like you to comment if this is still true.

1. The Pathans have custom of circumcision on the 8th day. This is a known Jewish custom, and is the oldest Jewish tradition. I myself witnessed and was present at a very joyous circumcision ceremony on the 8th day after birth. Muslims have custom of circumcision but it is not on the 8th day, and usually at the age of 12.

2. The Pathans have custom of the Sabbath. The Sabbath is considered a day of rest and they do not labor, cook or bake. The Pathans prepare 12 Hallot (traditional Jewish bread, Leviticus 24:5) in honor of the Sabbath as was done in the ancient temple. One of the significant indicators proving the Israeli origins of the Pathans is the lighting of the candle to honor the Sabbath. After lighting, the candle is covered usually by a large basket. The candle is lit by a woman past her menopause.

3. Pathans have custom of Yom Kippur, they fast from sunset to sunset like the Jews. On this day you have the custom of scapegoat. Like in ancient Israel there was the custom to put sins of the nation onto a goat and send the goat away to desert. This custom of scapegoat was done to atone the sins of the nation (Leviticus chapter 16).

4. The Pathans have a sort of small Tallit called Kafan. This is a 4 cornered garment which they tie strings similar to the fringes (Jews call them Tzitzit) and is one of the oldest Jewish traditions going back to the Torah and it is a sign of their Israeli origin. They also have bigger Tallit which they call Joy-Namaz. It is a garment 2-3 meters sq., and it is made to cover the head and part of the shoulders, and is used for prayer by spreading on the ground in the Muslim fashion. It has no fringes.

5. The Pathan Wedding ceremony includes a marriage canopy and rings similar to the Jewish custom and is done under the sky at night.

6. Pathan Women keep laws similar to the Jewish laws regarding menstruation. During this time and for 7 days after, no contact is allowed with the husband. After this period, the woman immerses in a river or spring or in a bathhouse if a natural spring is not available. This is exactly the same as the Israeli tradition going back to the days of the Bible.

7. Pathans have custom of Kosher, dietary laws same as Jews. Pathans do not eat horse or camel meat, which is most common in their area but of course forbidden to Jews. They also do not eat meat and milk together. And they have a tradition regarding differentiating between pure and impure birds which means permitted and not permitted birds similar to the Torah.

8. Pathans have custom of levirate marriage, which is the custom when a husband dies without children, his brother marries the widow to keep the name of the house. This custom no longer exists today, but was an ancient Israeli custom mentioned in the Bible (Deuteronomy 25:5-6).

9. The commandment to honor one's parent is kept in exemplary manner in these tribes. The son must obey the parents in all matters. When the father enters the room all stand and bow their heads in his honor. This was a Israeli tradition as well.

10. The symbol of Shield of David (Star of David) is found in almost every Pathan house. The wealthy make it out of expensive metals and the poor out of simple wood.

11. At the time of plagues the Pathans slaughter a sheep and sprinkle its blood on the doorpost of their homes. This is what the Israelites did in ancient Egypt during the plagues that occurred there.

If this is true, it would seem that you have Israelite origins and since you only marry in would most likely mean you would be considered a full member of the Bnai Yisrael.

Please share you thoughts.
(#2)
Old
Administrator
Admin Khan is on a distinguished road

Thanked 4,620 Times in 2,297 Posts
My Mood: Stressed
Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default 09-29-2012, 07:42 PM

Hi:

I can't speak on behalf of plastic Pathans, but I haven't heard of Pashtuns(Afghans) doing anything that you listed. Nothing. Pay a visit to a Pashtun stronghold, and try conducting a survey.

Even Adobe Photoshop can't change me.

A line[Durrand line] of hatred that raised a wall between the two brothers -Hamid Karzai

For generations, the Hindus of India prayed for deliverance from "the venom of the cobra, the teeth of the tiger and the vengeance of the Afghan."

The men of Kábul and Khilj also went home; and whenever they were questioned about the Musulmáns of the Kohistán (the mountains), and how matters stood there, they said, "Don't call it Kohistán, but Afghánistán; for there is nothing there but Afgháns and disturbances." Thus it is clear that for this reason the people of the country call their home in their own language Afghánistán, and themselves Afgháns. The people of India call them Patán; but the reason for this is not known. But it occurs to me, that when, under the rule of Muhammadan sovereigns, Musulmáns first came to the city of Patná, and dwelt there, the people of India (for that reason) called them Patáns—but God knows!

-Ferishta, 1560–1620
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Admin Khan For This Useful Post:
Afghanistan2010 (09-30-2012), badmash_khel (09-29-2012), RevolutionThroughReason (09-29-2012), Tjanaparh (09-30-2012)
(#3)
Old
PF senior
Khostai is an unknown quantity at this point

My Mood: Angelic
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Default 09-29-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bani Israel View Post
I hear many of the Pashtun tribes have an Israelite past and some even still keep anceint traditions found in the Torah or as you call it Tavrad El Sharif

Lewani Tribe is Levi,
Jaji Tribe is Gad,
Ashuri Tribe is Asher,
Afridi Tribe is Ephraim

I myself am from the tribe of Juda and thus I am known as a Jew, there are many amoungst us that are also from the tribes of Levi and Benjamin and together we make the tribes of Israel,

I have heard you still maintain the following traditions and laws and I would like you to comment if this is still true.

1. The Pathans have custom of circumcision on the 8th day. This is a known Jewish custom, and is the oldest Jewish tradition. I myself witnessed and was present at a very joyous circumcision ceremony on the 8th day after birth. Muslims have custom of circumcision but it is not on the 8th day, and usually at the age of 12.

No I was 1 year old, and most muslims don't wait so long, most moslims do it when the boy is a baby.

2. The Pathans have custom of the Sabbath. The Sabbath is considered a day of rest and they do not labor, cook or bake. The Pathans prepare 12 Hallot (traditional Jewish bread, Leviticus 24:5) in honor of the Sabbath as was done in the ancient temple. One of the significant indicators proving the Israeli origins of the Pathans is the lighting of the candle to honor the Sabbath. After lighting, the candle is covered usually by a large basket. The candle is lit by a woman past her menopause.

Never heard of this or saw this done by pashtuns, even outside my family nobody have done this or talked about it.

3. Pathans have custom of Yom Kippur, they fast from sunset to sunset like the Jews. On this day you have the custom of scapegoat. Like in ancient Israel there was the custom to put sins of the nation onto a goat and send the goat away to desert. This custom of scapegoat was done to atone the sins of the nation (Leviticus chapter 16).

We only fast during ramadan, and yes its from sunset to sunset, but that how the other 1 bilion of muslim fast during ramadan.

4. The Pathans have a sort of small Tallit called Kafan. This is a 4 cornered garment which they tie strings similar to the fringes (Jews call them Tzitzit) and is one of the oldest Jewish traditions going back to the Torah and it is a sign of their Israeli origin. They also have bigger Tallit which they call Joy-Namaz. It is a garment 2-3 meters sq., and it is made to cover the head and part of the shoulders, and is used for prayer by spreading on the ground in the Muslim fashion. It has no fringes.

Never seen this Kafan in my house for sure.

5. The Pathan Wedding ceremony includes a marriage canopy and rings similar to the Jewish custom and is done under the sky at night.

No, I have been to may Pashtun weddings, there was no cannopy.

6. Pathan Women keep laws similar to the Jewish laws regarding menstruation. During this time and for 7 days after, no contact is allowed with the husband. After this period, the woman immerses in a river or spring or in a bathhouse if a natural spring is not available. This is exactly the same as the Israeli tradition going back to the days of the Bible.

I don't think our women are so strict about the 7 days, what do you mean by contact do you also mean talking? If thats what you mean then again, NO

7. Pathans have custom of Kosher, dietary laws same as Jews. Pathans do not eat horse or camel meat, which is most common in their area but of course forbidden to Jews. They also do not eat meat and milk together. And they have a tradition regarding differentiating between pure and impure birds which means permitted and not permitted birds similar to the Torah.

NO. we also eate manto and ashak and that where meat and the youghurt suase are eaten mixed. Its not original Pashtun dish but I never heard a Pashtun saing that its not good to eat dierry product whith meat. I am not sure if there is strict rule about not eating a horse and a camel.

8. Pathans have custom of levirate marriage, which is the custom when a husband dies without children, his brother marries the widow to keep the name of the house. This custom no longer exists today, but was an ancient Israeli custom mentioned in the Bible (Deuteronomy 25:5-6).

Oke this custom do exsist, but only if the borther is not married yet. But also other culture has this custom, I think.

9. The commandment to honor one's parent is kept in exemplary manner in these tribes. The son must obey the parents in all matters. When the father enters the room all stand and bow their heads in his honor. This was a Israeli tradition as well.

We don`t bow, but we stand up when an elderly comes in to the room, even if the man is not our father.

10. The symbol of Shield of David (Star of David) is found in almost every Pathan house. The wealthy make it out of expensive metals and the poor out of simple wood.

We don´t have any Davids star in the house. and neither of my other Pashtun friends.

11. At the time of plagues the Pathans slaughter a sheep and sprinkle its blood on the doorpost of their homes. This is what the Israelites did in ancient Egypt during the plagues that occurred there.

No. I have never seen this being done in Afghanistan.

If this is true, it would seem that you have Israelite origins and since you only marry in would most likely mean you would be considered a full member of the Bnai Yisrael.

So no we are not Bani Israel.
(#4)
Old
PF senior
Karachi is on a distinguished road

Thanked 1,305 Times in 958 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Default 09-29-2012, 08:57 PM

where is the source of all the information?
(#5)
Old
PF senior
afghan is on a distinguished road

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Default 09-29-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bani Israel View Post

Lewani Tribe is Levi,
Jaji Tribe is Gad,
Ashuri Tribe is Asher,
Afridi Tribe is Ephraim

In tawareekh Hafiz Rahmat Khani all the details has mentioned and very well described pashtuns of being bani-israel. most of the customs and traditions as well as history of diffirent tribes. A law college is named after Hafiz rahmat khan in utter pardesh india. unfortunately we pashtun dont know much about him. i dont know his book has been translated into english.
(#6)
Old
PF newbie
Bani Israel is on a distinguished road

Default 09-30-2012, 05:39 AM

Thank you for the info, I have see this written in many places and history books.

I found this site to see if there was any validity in this at all.
(#7)
Old
PF contributor
abassinafghan is on a distinguished road

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Default 09-30-2012, 12:17 PM

lol

well certain pashtuns can be indeed considerd being from jewish stock ^^ , there are some who love money so much and would do everything for it .

and the best part is , you find them among talibs , democrats , mujahids ,communists an every other colour .

lol
The Following User Says Thank You to abassinafghan For This Useful Post:
Tjanaparh (09-30-2012)
(#8)
Old
PF senior
Afghanistan2010 is on a distinguished road

Thanked 1,083 Times in 867 Posts
My Mood: Relaxed
Default 09-30-2012, 02:07 PM

What is this crap.....is he dreaming ?

High achievement always takes place in the framework of high expectation.

Tags
pashtun, past, sharif, tavrad