Pashtun Community | Pashtuns | Pashto |
World's Largest Online Pashtun Community

Go Back   Pashtun Community | Pashtuns | Pashto | > Politics & Current Affairs > Development - سپما او پرمختګ
Reload this Page The Creation of an Afghan Internment Regime and the Divide over U.S. Detention Power
User Tag List

(#1)
Old
PF senior
Shah-i-Kot is on a distinguished road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default The Creation of an Afghan Internment Regime and the Divide over U.S. Detention Power - 09-06-2012, 09:39 PM

http://www.soros.org/reports/remakin...etention-power

Reports

Remaking Bagram: The Creation of an Afghan Internment Regime and the Divide over U.S. Detention Power
September 6, 2012 Regional Policy Initiative on Afghanistan & Pakistan

Remaking Bagram: The Creation of an Afghan Internment Regime and the Divide over U.S. Detention Power

Download Files

Remaking Bagram
Download the complete 35-page report in English
466.03 KB pdf

Remaking Bagram
Download the complete 29-page report in Dari
1.29 MB pdf

Remaking Bagram
Download the complete 37-page report in Pashto
1.38 MB pdf

This report by the Open Society Foundations highlights concerns about the transition of the U.S. detention facility in Bagram, Afghanistan, from U.S. to Afghan control. Remaking Bagram exposes a deep divide between U.S. and Afghan officials on the eve of the planned handover that puts U.S. intentions to maintain detention authority in Afghanistan against the Afghan government’s insistence that Afghans can no longer be detained by the United States on “Afghan soil.” Remaking Bagram also highlights the Afghan government’s efforts to take custody of detainees held by the United States by creating an Afghan internment regime that would detain individuals without trial. Many Afghan legal experts call this new system unconstitutional and have expressed fears that it is susceptible to abuse.
(#2)
Old
PF senior

Default 09-06-2012, 09:40 PM

the Soros report is available on PDF.

This is the bloodshed/torture of Pashtuns for such projects as New Kabul City...

But it will never last.
(#3)
Old
PF senior

Default 09-06-2012, 09:42 PM

Kabul, Afghanistan—The U.S. and Afghan governments remain divided on the eve of what some expected to be the complete handover of the U.S. run detention center in Afghanistan on September 9th. Since the signing of an agreement in March, the United States has continued to capture and detain Afghans in Bagram, and expects to retain this authority until 2014.
“We cannot allow allies and friendly countries to have detention centers here. This is illegal,” said Afghanistan’s national security advisor Rangin Dadfar Spanta.
U.S. authorities interpret the handover deal differently: “The March 9, 2012, Detentions MOU does not limit the authority of U.S. forces to capture and detain the enemy,” said one official.
The continued tensions over U.S. detention power in Afghanistan have been documented in a new report from the Open Society Foundations, Remaking Bagram: The Creation of an Afghan Internment Regime and the Divide over U.S. Detention.
Open Society Foundations researchers found that despite the March agreement, the United States has sent approximately 600 new detainees to Bagram in the last six months. They also intend to retain detention capacity in two blocks in Bagram, later transferring detainees to the Afghan authorities.
Remaking Bagram also highlights how the March agreement fails to address the problem of non-Afghan detainees, or “third country nationals,” who could remain in U.S. custody for the foreseeable future—raising the troubling specter of another Guantanamo Bay in Afghanistan.
In order to receive the transferred detainees, the Afghan government has created a system of detention without trial, or internment, which closely resembles the U.S. system in Bagram. Senior Afghan officials told the Open Society Foundations that Afghanistan’s internment regime is unconstitutional.
“The U.S. military wants to keep its foot in the door of Bagram, and they’ve been avoiding Afghan demands for sovereignty in order to do so,” said Rachel Reid, senior advisor on Afghanistan at the Open Society Foundations. “But if Afghanistan truly wants to bring legitimacy to national security detentions, creating their own unlawful internment regime is a bad way to start.”
The Afghan government is already holding more than 50 Afghans in internment. While some Afghan officials have said that internment will end with the transition in September, other officials have said it is here to stay, raising fears about how this power may be used in the future.
“Consider the fact that even our regular laws are ignored by powerful people,” Abdul Qawi Afzali of the Legal Aid Organization Afghanistan cautioned, “What will happen when you give them the actual, legal power to detain people like this law does?”

Tags
afghan, creation, detention, divide, internment, power, regime