Pashtun Community | Pashtuns | Pashto |
World's Largest Online Pashtun Community

Go Back   Pashtun Community | Pashtuns | Pashto | > General & Leisure > Hujra - حجره
Reload this Page Experiences with racism?
User Tag List

(#1)
Old
PF senior
randolph85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,887 Posts
My Mood: Blah
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Experiences with racism? - 08-25-2012, 10:51 PM

what are the experiences of the members here with racism? surely being who we are and most if not all of us are living away from our watan, we have experienced some form of racism/religious prejudice.

many times indirectly but i have only experienced it a few times directly. about 10 years ago in high school after 9/11 where i had to beat down a racist. a drunk guy calling me a dot head and me flicking a cig into his eye lol some bad treatment in the job market, and a few weeks ago where some 15 yr old skaters called me "akbar" outside a 7/11 lol. what could i do? i can't beat up a bunch of kids or run them over with my car so i laughed at them and called them faggots.

There is nothing in our book, the Qur'an, that teaches us to suffer peacefully. Our religion teaches us to be intelligent. Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery. That's a good religion.

- Malcolm X

Last edited by randolph85; 08-25-2012 at 11:02 PM.
(#2)
Old
Administrator
Admin Khan is on a distinguished road

Thanked 4,623 Times in 2,297 Posts
My Mood: Stressed
Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default 08-25-2012, 10:59 PM

Disgusting Racism Alive in the USA Today - Shocking Footage! Shame on these Individuals!! - YouTube

Even Adobe Photoshop can't change me.

A line[Durrand line] of hatred that raised a wall between the two brothers -Hamid Karzai

For generations, the Hindus of India prayed for deliverance from "the venom of the cobra, the teeth of the tiger and the vengeance of the Afghan."

The men of Kábul and Khilj also went home; and whenever they were questioned about the Musulmáns of the Kohistán (the mountains), and how matters stood there, they said, "Don't call it Kohistán, but Afghánistán; for there is nothing there but Afgháns and disturbances." Thus it is clear that for this reason the people of the country call their home in their own language Afghánistán, and themselves Afgháns. The people of India call them Patán; but the reason for this is not known. But it occurs to me, that when, under the rule of Muhammadan sovereigns, Musulmáns first came to the city of Patná, and dwelt there, the people of India (for that reason) called them Patáns—but God knows!

-Ferishta, 1560–1620
(#3)
Old
PF senior

Default 08-25-2012, 11:06 PM

that is sick

just par for the course in america.

There is nothing in our book, the Qur'an, that teaches us to suffer peacefully. Our religion teaches us to be intelligent. Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery. That's a good religion.

- Malcolm X
(#4)
Old
PF contributor
Pisho is on a distinguished road

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default 08-26-2012, 12:02 AM

Ppl dont even know we r afgans but they r racist towards us...
Today at work.. This lady wad telling me how we r not professional and dont do our job right It had Nothing to do with me but but she was only telling me and was nice to my other coworker... Just cuz i wasnt black thats sick.. I work in an area 90% of new money black ppl live at so they r efin rude and racist.. If she wasnt old id get all ghetto on her lol but not Everyone is like this there are some really sweet black Women and men that live in that area i just Think ppll aare senseless now a days and they. Think beinng rude will get them what they want
(#5)
Old
PF senior
کیش is on a distinguished road

Thanked 1,291 Times in 1,053 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Default 08-26-2012, 12:45 AM

Hmm.. Can you include NYPD stop and frisk "racism?"
(#6)
Old
PF senior

Default 08-26-2012, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by کیش View Post
Hmm.. Can you include NYPD stop and frisk "racism?"

hush, u.

we don't bring heroes into this discussion.

- Malcolm X
(#7)
Old
PF senior
Karachi is on a distinguished road

Thanked 1,312 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Default 08-26-2012, 02:00 AM

not in canada, never. Once in America I did.
(#8)
Old
PF Frequent visitor
Aryob is on a distinguished road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default 08-26-2012, 02:35 AM

Discrimination that has affected me very much was when in high school in pekhawar, this one Pakhtun teacher, an ex spy for Pakistani gov, used to hate Afghans and he'd give us this disgusted look and would say "taso sara kho bus Daud khe pohedo, che bus har sok ye edamawal". By Daud he meant Sardar Mohammad Daud Khan.

Then later going in to College, in Islamia College every single person would call me "Majira" or "Gilamjama". They knew I was not one of them because Afghans get their admission 1 month late. I don't recall any memory where my classmates would have called me by my name. Our physics class teacher would always point at me and say "Aleka kabaliya te waya". I remember their faces like all this happened to me yesterday and is still happening to me. That is why after spending most of my life in pekhawar (over 20 years), I would hate to live there again.

I'm facing similar discriminatory remarks and behaviour again here in UAE, mostly from Muslim Pakistanis and Muslim UAE locals. Indians however are very diverse, open minded and cool people. Labourers and workers on the streets of UAE, is a different story. Everyone asks you for your nationality here.

I think the understanding of racism in Canada and Pakistan or UAE is different. Back in Canada it's a lot more sensitive and it's not as aggressive as it is here and sometimes it's wrapped up with love and great etiquette. But in Pakistan and UAE, its very aggressive, life threatening and wrapped up in Islam, as if this treatment that you are receiving is his religious duty and is inevitable.
(#9)
Old
PF VIP
IamDZJ is on a distinguished road

Thanked 2,604 Times in 1,980 Posts
My Mood: Brooding
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default 08-26-2012, 02:54 AM

Its difficult for people who have never lived in Canada to understand our appreciation for this country. No one is discriminated in Canada because if you make a remark about one person, everyone will be offended.
I did once face an unpleasant situation in an afghan grocery store when I first came to this city though. A middle aged guy looked at my cloths and told his friend that because of people like me, they left Afghanistan and now we were following them here too. It hurt alot. Probably because it came from a fellow afghan. Two years later one day I opened the door to find him standing there with his mouth wide open in shock, asking for my father. I slammed the door in his face but unfortunately he wasn't standing close enough. I am sure he is ashamed of himself the way he should be.

Last edited by IamDZJ; 08-26-2012 at 03:23 AM.
(#10)
Old
PF contributor
Pisho is on a distinguished road

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default 08-26-2012, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaZahroJaam. View Post
Its difficult for people who have beer lived in Canada to understand out appreciation for this country. No one is discriminated in Canada because if you make a remark about one person, everyone will be offended.
I did once face an unpleasant situation in an afghan grocery store when I first came to this city though. A middle aged guy looked at my cloths and told his friend that because of people like me, they left Afghanistan and now we were following them here too. It hurt alot. Probably because it came from a fellow afghan. Two years later one day I opened the door to find him standing there with his mouth wide open in shock, asking for my father. I slammed the door in his face but unfortunately he wasn't standing close enough. I am sure he is ashamed of himself the way he should be.
What kind of clothes was it? Kamis partoog or western? And was that in Canada? Cmon why r u surprised afghans gossip about everything.. I hook up everyone at work with my employee discount and they still talk ****..

Tags
experiences, racism