Pashtun Community | Pashtuns | Pashto |
World's Largest Online Pashtun Community

Go Back   Pashtun Community | Pashtuns | Pashto | > Society & Heritage > Pashtun Culture - د پښتنو دود
Reload this Page Marriage to non-Pashtuns
User Tag List

(#1201)
Old
BANNED
RevolutionThroughReason is on a distinguished road

Thanked 1,143 Times in 974 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 08-19-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M17ArnoBaloch View Post
whats dodai?

They call it that in Khost too Hakim
(#1202)
Old
PF knowledgeable
Midnight_Sun is on a distinguished road

My Mood: Amused
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default 08-20-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevolutionThroughReason View Post
I think we can all pretty much relate to Midnight Sun on some level, not my grandfather but HIS father had numerous Indian women as mistresses; back then Indians, especially Sikhs used to come to Afghanistan to do trade. This one Sikh family who was said to be of Lahori origin used to send their daughters out to be servants, my greatgrandfather's family had become major land owners in Ghazni,. Long story short, he hired ALL the daughters of several Sikh families in his area of Ghazni, which were about 6 or 7 families, and they would often mysteriously go cleaning the bathhouse everyday. it is said people would hear ecstatic noises coming from the bathhouse, while his 3 wives, were all making dodai. Apparently this was not only accepted but ENCOURAGED.
LOL, that makes an entire new meaning of 'bringing home the bread' LOL.
(#1203)
Old
PF senior
Toramana is on a distinguished road

Thanked 3,093 Times in 2,126 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Default 08-20-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight_Sun View Post
LOL, that makes an entire new meaning of 'bringing home the bread' LOL.
Taking advantage of someone's poverty/status is not something one should be proud of.
(#1204)
Old
PF knowledgeable
Midnight_Sun is on a distinguished road

My Mood: Amused
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default 08-20-2012, 06:04 PM

You're going a little on the extreme on that, I don't think he's condoning taking advantage of poor people.
(#1205)
Old
PF newbie
A Khan is on a distinguished road

My Mood: Cheerful
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default 08-25-2012, 05:56 PM

Coming back to the original question on the thread....would I marry a non-Pashtun? I think so.

For men it seems like kind of a no-brainer if they like a non-Pashtun girl, provided they can ensure they teach their children about Pashtunwali.

Because I am a woman and the Pashtun identity only passes along patriarchal lineage, I wouldn't bother mostly because I am from a non-Pashtun country [and got plenty of male cousins to carry the identity forth]. But I will teach my prospective children about the Pashtun diaspora, culture and Pashtunwali, something that I am actually reading up a lot about myself lately.

I think that is most important to me - the teachings and way of life. Everything else seems comparatively superficial.
(#1206)
Old
PF contributor
Pisho is on a distinguished road

My Mood: Blah
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default 08-26-2012, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Khan View Post
Coming back to the original question on the thread....would I marry a non-Pashtun? I think so.

For men it seems like kind of a no-brainer if they like a non-Pashtun girl, provided they can ensure they teach their children about Pashtunwali.

Because I am a woman and the Pashtun identity only passes along patriarchal lineage, I wouldn't bother mostly because I am from a non-Pashtun country [and got plenty of male cousins to carry the identity forth]. But I will teach my prospective children about the Pashtun diaspora, culture and Pashtunwali, something that I am actually reading up a lot about myself lately.

I think that is most important to me - the teachings and way of life. Everything else seems comparatively superficial.
So what will you base it out of? Why does mr right has to have for you to marry him? If he is not Pashtun, then will you be basing it by Religion or it doesn't matter if he is Muslim or not? Or Just as long as he loves u thats ok?
(#1207)
Old
PF newbie
A Khan is on a distinguished road

My Mood: Cheerful
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default 08-26-2012, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisho View Post
So what will you base it out of? Why does mr right has to have for you to marry him? If he is not Pashtun, then will you be basing it by Religion or it doesn't matter if he is Muslim or not? Or Just as long as he loves u thats ok?

Religion and personal belief will get the highest priority. Some people are born into families that are very traditional or devout, but don't personally beleive in them or follow them [very common amongst guys I know anyway] so someone who is well-read and understands, respects and follows traditions and has sound personal ethics seems to me a better partner.

I am not saying I will refuse to marry a Pashtun. What I am saying is that _because_ there are not a lot of Pashtun families where I live and work, and since my family and I don't meet a lot of them, I am open to marrying outside of the community. If I had to choose between a Pashtun who regards tradition yet is not close minded to other people and a non-pashtun who does the same, obviously the former will get priority.
(#1208)
Old
PF contributor

Default 08-26-2012, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Khan View Post
Religion and personal belief will get the highest priority. Some people are born into families that are very traditional or devout, but don't personally beleive in them or follow them [very common amongst guys I know anyway] so someone who is well-read and understands, respects and follows traditions and has sound personal ethics seems to me a better partner.

I am not saying I will refuse to marry a Pashtun. What I am saying is that _because_ there are not a lot of Pashtun families where I live and work, and since my family and I don't meet a lot of them, I am open to marrying outside of the community. If I had to choose between a Pashtun who regards tradition yet is not close minded to other people and a non-pashtun who does the same, obviously the former will get priority.

Interesting.. I personally could notmarry some1 who was not a Pashtun becuz i think language barrier will be too difficult to handle.. Even more than culture.. but I see what ur saying.. Well good luck lol
(#1209)
Old
PF knowledgeable
asad71 is on a distinguished road

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Default 08-28-2012, 07:08 AM

1.Pashtun girls are pretty. They are fiercely loyal. Would make good wives. Most Pashtun men are kind and gentlemen. However, some are quite crude.

2. Marriage among Muslims is normal. There is no bar here like obtaining in Hinduism. Some Muslim families do prefer marriages within the clan/tribe/family. But this has been proved to be bad for the offspring.
(#1210)
Old
PF contributor

Default 08-28-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asad71 View Post
Some Muslim families do prefer marriages within the clan/tribe/family. But this has been proved to be bad for the offspring.
can you elaborate more on this? Please

Tags
khan baba retard, marriage, nonpashtuns