Pashtun Community | Pashtuns | Pashto |
World's Largest Online Pashtun Community

Go Back   Pashtun Community | Pashtuns | Pashto | > Profession & Science > Philosophy/Education فلسفه/تعلیم
Reload this Page Pervez Hoodbhoy - Tracing the Roots of Religious Extremism
User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
(#21)
Old
Friend Friend is offline
PF senior
Friend is on a distinguished road
 
Posts: 2,130
Thanks: 667
Thanked 369 Times in 309 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Default 08-13-2012, 09:24 PM

Quran don't have to prove it to you lol. Quran has given a ready made invention for which science has spent hundreds of years.
Reply With Quote
(#22)
Old
Toramana's Avatar
Toramana Toramana is offline
PF senior
Toramana is on a distinguished road
 
Posts: 8,441
Thanks: 559
Thanked 3,357 Times in 2,327 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Join Date: May 2010
Default 08-13-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend View Post
To your whole mindset and whatever it has in it. Quran is not a book of science and science could not prove a single verse of the Quran to be untrue.
Quran is a book to get salvation in this life and the life after death.
In Quran, it says one should resume fasting when dark separates from the light (sahar) and break it when light separates from the dark. Now on the north and south pole, sun never sets ---means you are fasting forever---(Doesn't God didn't know how length of days and night changes with latitude/longitude?).

You should have solved the problems of qibla and citing of Eid moon by now if there were much science there.

Anyhow, emkhan, I agree Quran should not be called a book of science---It should simply be considered a book of morality. And it is not the purpose of Science to prove or disprove Quran. So saying that is absurd.
Reply With Quote
(#23)
Old
Toramana's Avatar
Toramana Toramana is offline
PF senior
Toramana is on a distinguished road
 
Posts: 8,441
Thanks: 559
Thanked 3,357 Times in 2,327 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Join Date: May 2010
Default 08-13-2012, 09:36 PM

In fact I have heard these ridiculous claims from scholars of Islam repeatedly ---i.e., assigning authenticity to Quran by trying to find versus that in some way can be linked to scientific discoveries (Scientists discover things and then these scholars search the Quran ---and say oh, it is already here...One gets appalled by the share degree of ridiculousness, ignorance, and self-delusion).

The other thing they do is to try to appear scientific and therefore more authentic as this dude Hamza above did. I remember when I was a college student, members of Islami Jamiat Talaba would approach me and say how scientific Tafhimul Quran is and how it interprets Quran in terms of chemistry, physics, biology, etc. and would praise Mulana Muadudi to be both a scholar and scientist.

Later when this Dr Tahirul Qadiri emerged his followers would claim he knows physcis, micobiology, genetics, etc. etc. and is a scientist apart from a scholar as well.

Last edited by Toramana; 08-13-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
(#24)
Old
Friend Friend is offline
PF senior
Friend is on a distinguished road
 
Posts: 2,130
Thanks: 667
Thanked 369 Times in 309 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Default 08-13-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toramana View Post
In Quran, it says one should resume fasting when dark separates from the light (sahar) and break it when light separates from the dark. Now on the north and south pole, sun never sets ---means you are fasting forever---(Doesn't God didn't know how length of days and night changes with latitude/longitude?).

You should have solved the problems of qibla and citing of Eid moon by now if there were much science there.

Anyhow, emkhan, I agree Quran should not be called a book of science---It should simply be considered a book of morality. And it is not the purpose of Science to prove or disprove Quran. So saying that is absurd.
Is there any human or animal life on those extreme north and south poles ?
Reply With Quote
(#25)
Old
Karachi Karachi is offline
PF senior
Karachi is on a distinguished road
 
Posts: 5,228
Thanks: 249
Thanked 1,308 Times in 961 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Join Date: Jan 2011
Default 08-13-2012, 09:45 PM

hoodboy is a naive, he is also an american puppet.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Karachi For This Useful Post:
ډګروال (08-14-2012)
(#26)
Old
Toramana's Avatar
Toramana Toramana is offline
PF senior
Toramana is on a distinguished road
 
Posts: 8,441
Thanks: 559
Thanked 3,357 Times in 2,327 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Join Date: May 2010
Default 08-13-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend View Post
Is there any human or animal life on those extreme north and south poles ?
May be not but you cannot rule out the possibility of humans populating that place. At some points where humans live nights and days are much longer sometimes months longer.

What if humans made it to some other planet with other variations of days and night.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toramana For This Useful Post:
Hakim Khan Urgonai (08-13-2012)
(#27)
Old
Toramana's Avatar
Toramana Toramana is offline
PF senior
Toramana is on a distinguished road
 
Posts: 8,441
Thanks: 559
Thanked 3,357 Times in 2,327 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Join Date: May 2010
Default 08-13-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karachi View Post
hoodboy is a naive, he is also an american puppet.
I think he is a very knowledgeable person and wishes that Muslim societies become stronger and scientific through political and ideological pluralism and rationality and scientific thinking. But alas, Mullahs are bringing Muslim societies down. Who knows this guy Hamza who debated with Dr Pervez Hoodbuy is a mole implanted in Mulsim societies to make Muslims more begotic and unscientific?

Last edited by Toramana; 08-13-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
(#28)
Old
Friend Friend is offline
PF senior
Friend is on a distinguished road
 
Posts: 2,130
Thanks: 667
Thanked 369 Times in 309 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Default 08-13-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toramana View Post
May be not but you cannot rule out the possibility of humans populating that place. At some points where humans live nights and days are much longer sometimes months longer.

What if humans made it to some other planet with other variations of days and night.
What may be ? Where you science gone now ? Fasting is for human beings and not icy mountains.
Science does not believe in "may be". So don't bring may bees. Prove human life on other planets then we will talk.
Thanks
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Friend For This Useful Post:
Hakim Khan Urgonai (08-13-2012)
(#29)
Old
Toramana's Avatar
Toramana Toramana is offline
PF senior
Toramana is on a distinguished road
 
Posts: 8,441
Thanks: 559
Thanked 3,357 Times in 2,327 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Join Date: May 2010
Default 08-13-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend View Post
What may be ? Where you science gone now ? Fasting is for human beings and not icy mountains.
Science does not believe in "may be". So don't bring may bees. Prove human life on other planets then we will talk.
Thanks
This only shows your ignorance (one-dimensional thought). Science is based on skepticism where you don't give a definite statement until the validity of something is established by empirical evidence or theoretical indication. In Science, if you don't have the evidence, you don't say no or yes (it is gray not black-and-white). Science is not religion to give absolute statements.

Whether north and south poles will be populated is not certain. However, one can conjecture that as human population and also its needs for more resources would expand, humans may populate the north pole as well. There are many places on earth un-populated but inhabited later as human population expanded.

But there are places near north and south pole where humans live and where nights and days last for months e.g., Siberia). Now your argument flattens there.

Last edited by Toramana; 08-13-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
(#30)
Old
Friend Friend is offline
PF senior
Friend is on a distinguished road
 
Posts: 2,130
Thanks: 667
Thanked 369 Times in 309 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Default 08-13-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toramana View Post
This only shows your ignorance (one-dimensional thought). Science is based on skepticism where you don't give a definite statement until the validity of something is established by empirical evidence or theoretical indication. In Science, if you don't have the evidence, you don't say no or yes (it is gray not black-and-white). Science is not religion to give absolute statements.

Whether north and south poles will be populated is not certain. However, one can conjecture that as human population and also its needs for more resources would expand, humans may populate the north pole as well. There are many places on earth un-populated but inhabited later as human population expanded.

But there are places near north and south pole where humans live and where nights and days last for months e.g., Siberia). Now your argument flattens there.
That is what I am saying. Don't bring scientific theories because theories changes. Established scientific fact or principle is something can be discussed.
You better bring some evidence that people even Muslims inhabit there.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
extremism, hoodbhoy, pervez, religious, roots, tracing

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




History of Pashtuns| Learn Pashto Online| Afghan Wiki| TheHujra.com| Pukhtoogle| Afghanvoice.com| Khyber.org| Pukhto.net| Tor_Khan's blog| Abdul Rahman Karim's blog| Voices of the Pashtun land| Pashto TV

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.6 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
No part of this site may be copied without permission of the administration. The views, posts, opinions and threads expressed by members of the community here are not necessarily those of the staff and management of Pashtun Forums.