Pashtun Community | Pashtuns | Pashto |
World's Largest Online Pashtun Community

Go Back   Pashtun Community | Pashtuns | Pashto | > Society & Heritage > Pashto Language - پښتو ژبه
Reload this Page Frustration on letters!
User Tag List

(#1)
Old
PF newbie
Omid is on a distinguished road

My Mood: Inspired
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Frustration on letters! - 07-28-2012, 11:04 AM

Hi all. Thanks again all for welcoming me onto this site. Having spent hours trawling through the site I have been working on trying to get the gist of reading Pashto.
I'm starting to get the basic hang of the letters and translating it to english letters though at a first glance of a word or sentence some letters can vary meaning Im translating a word very different from what it actually is and it is a little frustrating. I was wondering if anyone had any pointers.... For example a pashtun sentence I've lifted from a thread.....

په افغانستان کې چاپیریال ساتنه

I literally transcribe as

Pa Afganstan ky chape(or eh, y,e or ee)r (e,ee,eh or y but probably y)al satna

Is that correct? I can transcribe but I have literally no idea what the sentence means above as I'm just working on literal transcription at the moment my vocabulary will come with time.

The main problem being the yeh ی when in different forms as well as waaw not knowing if the letter is v,w,oo or o.

Is this something I will naturally pick up once my vocabulary will get better or is something to physically work on or what.

Any help much appreciated

Omid
(#2)
Old
PF senior
یاسمینه is on a distinguished road

Default 07-28-2012, 04:01 PM

There is one rule in Pashto reading - you can read correctly only if you know words and their meanings. You have to learn pronunciation of every word separately.
Like the word مینه - it can be pronounces as mina, mayna, mayena, depending on meaning.
The same words can be pronounced in different ways in different dialects, like زما - some will say zma, others zama, zema etc...

The best way is to check pronunciation in dictionary.
(#3)
Old
PF newbie

Default 07-28-2012, 04:46 PM

I see its basically just a case of learning words and building my vocabulary which will make me understand what each word is and how it should be pronounced. thanks
(#4)
Old
Administrator
tor_khan is on a distinguished road

Thanked 1,724 Times in 991 Posts
My Mood: Cheeky
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Default 07-28-2012, 11:03 PM

Omid Jan - Pa Afghanistan ki chaperyal saatana - All round protection in Afghanistan.

Yasmeenah is right - you almost need to know the words (and their context) ahead of being able to read them. That happens in English too.

In English you will choose the correct pronunciation based on your knowledge of how the language works. Consider:

I read a book every day. (I reed a book ... )
I read a book every day. (I red a book ... )

(#5)
Old
PF senior
Friend is on a distinguished road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default 07-28-2012, 11:10 PM

In this respect Pashto language is a very difficult language though we the native speakers never think about it. But its grammar, pronunciation, vocabulary and difference of dialects make it very difficult as compared to other languages, if I am not wrong.

Do we have some comprehensive dictionary and grammar book of Pashto language ?
(#6)
Old
Administrator
tor_khan is on a distinguished road

Thanked 1,724 Times in 991 Posts
My Mood: Cheeky
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Default 07-29-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tor_khan View Post
Omid Jan - Pa Afghanistan ki chaperyal saatana - All round protection in Afghanistan.

... you almost need to know the words (and their context) ahead of being able to read them ...
Omid ... Earlier I just translated your words more or less literally. How does 'Environment(al) safety in Afghanistan' sound? Does that fit the context of your reading better?

(#7)
Old
PF senior
Haris is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,040 Posts
My Mood: Tired
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Default 07-29-2012, 08:46 AM

Tor_khan is absolutely right and that's the same advice he gave me when I had the same problem when I first started reading Pakhto.

Having read the Qu'ran before, I could read Pakhto fine when it had the pesh, zer, zabur and stuff but, without that, I would find it hard to know which way the word would be pronounced and hence, what the word actually was.

Knowing the context is vital.

The easiest way is to just practice reading. Eventually you'll get the hang of it. The more exposure you get, the easier it becomes.
Articles, proems, childrens' books etc all help in that regard.

My pakhto reading skills from that point till now have improved dramatically and I didn't even notice it.

We have plenty of learning materials in the 'Kitaboon' & 'Pashto Language' sections.

---
To advise others is an easy matter, the difficulty is accepting advice -- since it is bitter for those who follow their
own inclinations and desires

-Imam al Ghazali

Last edited by Haris; 07-29-2012 at 09:28 AM. Reason: added " & 'Pashto Language' "
(#8)
Old
PF newbie

Default 07-29-2012, 09:27 AM

Thanks for all of your suggestions!
I'm struggling as I have basically just started trying to understand pashto and began to learn the alphabet and their sounds. So I've looked at words and translated the "sounds" into words which I then don't understand because obviously Ive not got any vocabulary in the language but I am sure that will come with time as I keep studying.
I have been on the books section and have downloaded several. The site is a massive help!

Has anyone got any more suggestions to what direction to go as a complete beginner in trying to learn the language?

Manana

Omid
(#9)
Old
PF senior
یاسمینه is on a distinguished road

Default 07-31-2012, 10:47 AM

To make you more confused I can tell you that the short word دې has 7 meanings - from different pronouns to vocative particle

Tags
frustration, letters