Pashtun Community | Pashtuns | Pashto |
World's Largest Online Pashtun Community

Go Back   Pashtun Community | Pashtuns | Pashto | > Politics & Current Affairs > Development - سپما او پرمختګ
Reload this Page MoU on military academy inked with UK
User Tag List

(#1)
Old
Administrator
Admin Khan is on a distinguished road

Thanked 4,623 Times in 2,297 Posts
My Mood: Stressed
Mentioned: 172 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default MoU on military academy inked with UK - 07-20-2012, 12:19 AM

President Hamid Karzai and British Prime Minister David Cameron on Thursday signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) on the establishment of a British-style military academy in Afghanistan. Addressing a press conference after signing the MoU, Karzai said the military academy -- similar to a modern institute in the United Kingdom (UK) -- would play an important role in training Afghan forces. Karzai thanked the UK government’s support for setting up the academy.
Cameron, who arrived on an unannounced visit in southern Helmand province where he met British troops and local security officials on Wednesday, said he wanted to see a stable and self-sufficient Afghanistan. He hoped Afghan security forces would be able to defend the country on their own in the future.
The international community would continue to support the Afghan government after NATO troops’ withdrawal in 2014, as pledged by the NATO conference in Chicago and the donors meeting in Tokyo, the visiting leader said.
Cameron remarked: "I think this sends a very clear message to the Taliban that you cannot wait this out until foreign forces leave in 2014, because we will be firm friends and supporters of Afghanistan long beyond then.”
Karzai called the reconciliation process "the most important goal" being pursued by his administration. "We will how we could intensify Pakistan’s role in the peace process," he said of a three-way summit, which is to be held later in the day.
The military training centre, named as the Afghan National Army Officers' Academy (ANAOA), is being built on the Qargha site in Kabul. Part of the initiative set out in the Enduring Strategic Partnership Document signed in January 2012 between both countries.
“The United Kingdom is committed to continuing its support to Afghan National Security Forces and to the professional development of the force. It is intended thus to create an enduring link between the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst, and the Afghan National Army Officer Academy,” said the MoU.
Under the agreement, the Afghan Command Staff will ensure that a process is in place to select to generate competent officers and senior non-commissioned officers with the right experience to form the cadre of the ANAOA personnel who would lead and train future officers.
Ideally, this will include those with UK Advance Command and Staff Course or Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst, experience. About 1,350 ANA male officer cadets and 150 female of sufficient quality would join the academy each year.
“The Afghan Command Staff will be responsible for the funding, running and maintenance costs for the ANA OA once the facilities are built and handed over to them,” says the agreement.

http://www.pajhwok.com/en/photo/128664

Even Adobe Photoshop can't change me.

A line[Durrand line] of hatred that raised a wall between the two brothers -Hamid Karzai

For generations, the Hindus of India prayed for deliverance from "the venom of the cobra, the teeth of the tiger and the vengeance of the Afghan."

The men of Kábul and Khilj also went home; and whenever they were questioned about the Musulmáns of the Kohistán (the mountains), and how matters stood there, they said, "Don't call it Kohistán, but Afghánistán; for there is nothing there but Afgháns and disturbances." Thus it is clear that for this reason the people of the country call their home in their own language Afghánistán, and themselves Afgháns. The people of India call them Patán; but the reason for this is not known. But it occurs to me, that when, under the rule of Muhammadan sovereigns, Musulmáns first came to the city of Patná, and dwelt there, the people of India (for that reason) called them Patáns—but God knows!

-Ferishta, 1560–1620
(#2)
Old
PF knowledgeable
asad71 is on a distinguished road

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 07-20-2012, 10:24 AM

We have a world class Military Academy where we have trained and still train officer cadets from many nations. Bosnia, Palestine, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, many African nations, etc use our institution. We also have a top class Staff College where we train officers from all over the world including USA, UK, Canada, Australia, China, India, Pakistan, Turkey, Indonesia, in fact many nations. The demand is so high that every year we have to regret some requests. SL's Gen Fonseska is one of our Staff College graduates.
(#3)
Old
Administrator

Default 07-20-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asad71 View Post
We have a world class Military Academy where we have trained and still train officer cadets from many nations. Bosnia, Palestine, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, many African nations, etc use our institution. We also have a top class Staff College where we train officers from all over the world including USA, UK, Canada, Australia, China, India, Pakistan, Turkey, Indonesia, in fact many nations. The demand is so high that every year we have to regret some requests. SL's Gen Fonseska is one of our Staff College graduates.
I don't think Americans officers get trained in Bangladesh, no disrespect. They are on completely different tiers.

A line[Durrand line] of hatred that raised a wall between the two brothers -Hamid Karzai

For generations, the Hindus of India prayed for deliverance from "the venom of the cobra, the teeth of the tiger and the vengeance of the Afghan."

The men of Kábul and Khilj also went home; and whenever they were questioned about the Musulmáns of the Kohistán (the mountains), and how matters stood there, they said, "Don't call it Kohistán, but Afghánistán; for there is nothing there but Afgháns and disturbances." Thus it is clear that for this reason the people of the country call their home in their own language Afghánistán, and themselves Afgháns. The people of India call them Patán; but the reason for this is not known. But it occurs to me, that when, under the rule of Muhammadan sovereigns, Musulmáns first came to the city of Patná, and dwelt there, the people of India (for that reason) called them Patáns—but God knows!

-Ferishta, 1560–1620
The Following User Says Thank You to Admin Khan For This Useful Post:
asad71 (07-20-2012)
(#4)
Old
PF senior
Shah-i-Kot is on a distinguished road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default 07-20-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin Khan View Post
I don't think Americans officers get trained in Bangladesh, no disrespect. They are on completely different tiers.

Did you read the Lt. Davis report?

http://www.armedforcesjournal.com/2012/02/8904030/

Here are some snippets to mull over.
"Instead, I witnessed the absence of success on virtually every level. "

"I saw the incredible difficulties any military force would have to pacify even a single area of any of those provinces; I heard many stories of how insurgents controlled virtually every piece of land beyond eyeshot of a U.S. or International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) base. "

no disrespect, but you are completely off mark. What can a NATO member
teach an Afghan exactly? How to lose to an insurgency which is armed with Soviet vintage weaponry? They didnt lose yet right, only announced it publicly a few years and set a determined date. They will stay for while longer, right?

Bangladesh (utilizing assymetrical/guerrilla warfare along with India are perhaps the only two countries that have summarily defeated the Pakistan Army, facing them in face to face combat. The Pakistani insurgency has defeated the Pakistan army when after losing 5000-7000 soldiers, did the Pakistan army sue for peace.

I hardly think that the US, the UK, or any other NATO member can train the reluctant Afghans in what they cant even do-- when a 50 nation well armed and technologically advanced alliance could not even beat back an insurgency for the last 10 years, and this while they have had the full support of Pakistan with its supply routes, and a puppet regime in Kabul.

What is left?

On the flip, I think Afghans can train the US, UK, and other NATO members how to fight and defend themselves. This is the land of Wazir Akbar Khan, not Hamid Karzai.

I think Cameron is actually thinking about that ^

Last edited by Shah-i-Kot; 07-20-2012 at 02:29 PM.
(#5)
Old
Administrator

Default 07-20-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynx View Post

"I saw the incredible difficulties any military force would have to pacify even a single area of any of those provinces; I heard many stories of how insurgents controlled virtually every piece of land beyond eyeshot of a U.S. or International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) base. "

teach an Afghan exactly? How to lose to an insurgency which is armed with Soviet vintage weaponry? They didnt lose yet right, only announced it publicly a few years and set a determined date. They will stay for while longer, right?

Bangladesh (utilizing assymetrical/guerrilla warfare along with India are perhaps the only two countries that have summarily defeated the Pakistan Army, facing them in face to face combat. The Pakistani insurgency has defeated the Pakistan army when after losing 5000-7000 soldiers, did the Pakistan army sue for peace.

I hardly think that the US, the UK, or any other NATO member can train the Afghans in what they cant even do-- when a 50 nation well armed and technologically advanced alliance could not even beat back an insurgency for the last 10 years, and this while they have had the full support of Pakistan with its supply routes, and a puppet regime in Kabul.

What is left?

On the flip, I think Afghans can train the US, UK, and other NATO members how to fight and defend themselves. This is the land of Wazir Akbar Khan, not Hamid Karzai.

Young grasshopper, I said I dont think US officers are trained in Bangladesh. What does Afghanistan have to do with my post you quoted? Dont be so paranoid.

-Ferishta, 1560–1620
(#6)
Old
PF senior
Shah-i-Kot is on a distinguished road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default 07-20-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Young grasshopper, I said I dont think US officers are trained in Bangladesh. What does Afghanistan have to do with my post you quoted? Dont be so paranoid.
take it easy.

Did you look at the title of the article thread you posted, and then your response to Asad71? Its on topic. Its about Afghanistan, not Jupiter.

Umm, what completely different tier is the American officers on? The how to lose to multiple third world insurgency tier?

In short, Bangladesh would be on a higher tier than that, being a resistance that defeated the Pakistan Army while it was backed with military support from the US.

India also defeated Pakistan in an equal war. You see, not that many countries pick and choose battles, having wars with Iraq, Libya, and Afghanistan due to apparent lack of modern defenses, but hesitant about Iran due to no absence of those capabilities. India and Bangladesh were forced into conflict with an equally armed Pakistan (backed by the US).

One can definitely conclude that they are on a waaaay higher tier than the US.

Last edited by Shah-i-Kot; 07-20-2012 at 02:50 PM.
(#7)
Old
PF knowledgeable

Default 07-20-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:

1.Sorry, so little is known about Bangladesh in Afghanistan. Yes I can confirm US military officers have been training in our Staff College for years. Also those I mentioned and others too.

2. Our BRAC, which is the largest NGO in the world, has been active in Afghanistan for many years. BRAC Bank also operates there.

3. During the Jihad against the Soviets the largest foreign contingent after the Pakistanis was from Bangladesh. One of the Shaheeds from Bangladesh was the son in law of Pir Dudu Mia. Dudu Mia was the great grand son of a commander under Shaheed Syed Ahmed Brelavi who lies buried at Balakot.
(#8)
Old
PF knowledgeable

Default 07-20-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynx View Post

I hardly think that the US, the UK, or any other NATO member can train the reluctant Afghans in what they cant even do-- when a 50 nation well armed and technologically advanced alliance could not even beat back an insurgency for the last 10 years, and this while they have had the full support of Pakistan with its supply routes, and a puppet regime in Kabul.

What is left?

Sorry, this is veering away from the topic a bit, but I must clarify something here. In 1971 it is us, the people of Bangladesh, who shed an ocean of blood for nine months to defeat Pakistan. We suffered a lot of atrocities and destruction at the hands of Pakistan occupation forces which were criminally misled by the Pak Junta. Yes, we did receive plenty of help from India as also from the Soviet Union and the Eastern Bloc. India formally joined the war only 24 days before Pakistan surrendered. We feel India stole the victory from us. Pakistan had already lost.
(#9)
Old
PF knowledgeable
drona is on a distinguished road

My Mood: Scared
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default 07-21-2012, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asad71 View Post
In 1971 it is us, the people of Bangladesh, who shed an ocean of blood for nine months to defeat Pakistan. We suffered a lot of atrocities and destruction at the hands of Pakistan occupation forces which were criminally misled by the Pak Junta. Yes, we did receive plenty of help from India as also from the Soviet Union and the Eastern Bloc. India formally joined the war only 24 days before Pakistan surrendered. We feel India stole the victory from us. Pakistan had already lost.
Before I started participating in online forums I naively assumed that despite our political differences Bangladeshis will be more or less friendly towards India because of her pivotal role in Liberation of Bangladesh. If not for India's timely intervention and quick, decisive defeat to PA, the Pakistani Civil War would have dragged on for a number of years with even bigger Bangalee holocaust. Perhaps Bangalee guerrillas would have ultimately gained control of countryside [with India supplied weapons], but it would have been impossible for them to dislodge Paki Army from urban areas who had superior firepower as well as support of the so called champions of freedom and democracy [ US and UK]. The Soviet block only intervened indirectly and diplomatically as India signed a treaty of cooperation and friendship with them in 1971. Otherwise nobody would have given a $hit for Bangalees, certainly not Arabs and China who were 100% behind Pakistan.

Imagine my shock, then, when I discovered a small vocal minority of rabidly anti-Indian BDis kowtowing to their former Paki masters in Pakistani forums and regurgitating virulently anti-India propaganda and maligning their own independence movement as a RAW conspiracy.

Over time I have come to sober realization that these are the same people who gleefully supplied hapless Bangalee women to Pakistani military harems during the oppression and butchered Mukti Bahini supporters for 'spreading fitna' .

This clown can not show his open admiration for Pak Army on this forum [for obvious reasons] but goes an extra mile to ridicule Indians whenever he finds the opportunity. People's Republic of Bangladesh is a secular Muslim country, where prostitution is legal, government actively and aggressively employs contraceptives and other methods of family planning. But here is Mr. Asad71, who instead of declaring jihad on his own country, comes to PF to support and cheer most obdurate, obsolete, regressive members - the very same tactic used by Pak Army to subdue Pashtuns over the last 60 years.

Isn't his agenda obvious ?

Last edited by drona; 07-21-2012 at 03:41 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drona For This Useful Post:
abassinafghan (07-23-2012), JattApache (07-21-2012)
(#10)
Old
PF knowledgeable

Default 07-21-2012, 06:34 AM

1. Let's not beat about the bush. As fellow Muslims we have always wished the best for our Afghan brothers and sisters. Our military nurtures our Muslim character. That is why we are suitable for a military cooperation with Afghanistan. Islam is our religion officially as stipulated in the Constitution. The present India-friendly regime tried to change this but have failed. Never heard of the term "secular Muslim" before! A Muslim is a Muslim. That's all.

2. During the '71 War India's help was mostly directed at the refugee camps. One hundred percent of the 10 mlln refugees was Hindu. And India received huge funds for this purpose from all over the world. BD Hindus being of Low Cast totally refused to take part in the actual fighting. The fighting was done by us Muslims who constituted 99% of the Mukti Bahini. Not Indian, most of our weapons were provided by Czechoslovakia and the Eastern Bloc.

3. It is now known that Indian RAW had been working for disturbances in E Bengal since 1965. Books have been written about that by former RAW officers, including a chief. Indians had many goals in the War, but the principal was to prove that the Two Nation Theory dividing SA in religious lines in 1947 was wrong. This has proven wrong because BD is a nation of Bengalee Muslims.

4. Soon after the War began Pakistan had understood it had lost. She made frantic efforts to come to a settlement. Through the Shah of Iran, through the Americans, through the Lebanese PM and others. But wily Indians had blocked all overseas contact for our exiled Govt located at Calcutta.

5. Like all her neighbors, India is disliked in BD. Here the intensity is more pronounced due to the bullying nature of India. She has stopped our river waters. Her border troops kill our citizens every week on the border. She enacted a most cowardly and dastardly intelligence op in Peelkhana in 2009 where 57 BD army officers were killed beside others. It is now no secret she did this to avenge the routing she had received in the Battle of Padua where our villagers and border police were able to kill most of an attacking Indian Battalion.

Tags
academy, inked, military, mou