Pashtun Community | Pashtuns | Pashto |
World's Largest Online Pashtun Community

Go Back   Pashtun Community | Pashtuns | Pashto | > Politics & Current Affairs > Political Talk - سياسي خبرې
Reload this Page Karzai expects tough talks on security accord
User Tag List

(#1)
Old
Administrator
Admin Khan is on a distinguished road

Thanked 4,566 Times in 2,263 Posts
My Mood: Stressed
Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default Karzai expects tough talks on security accord - 05-04-2012, 08:36 PM

The strategic cooperation pact with the United States was in Afghanistan’s interest and a bilateral security agreement would be signed next year if the country’s core concerns were addressed, President Hamid Karzai said on Thursday.
Underpinning a future US military presence in the country after most western combat soldiers withdraw in 2014, the long-awaited accord was inked between Afghan President Hamid Karzai and his American counterpart Barack Obama on Tuesday.
Addressing a news conference in Kabul, Karzai said Afghanistan and the US would negotiate the bilateral security deal that would supersede the current Status of Force Agreement and focus on military cooperation till 2024.
“It is going to be a more difficult discussion. While seeking to safeguard their respective interests, the two sides will debate threadbare the proposed agreement,” he remarked. If its concerns were ignored, Afghanistan would not sign it, he explained.
“I hope the US, realising the sensitivities of the Afghan people, will respect their wishes and avoid insisting on its own view alone,” the president said, without going into detail.
Respect for the Afghan constitution was one of his administration’s key terms for wrapping up the strategic deal, he said, adding: “The presidential system is another condition of the Afghan government…”
Referring to a recent push by some American Congressmen for a federal system in Afghanistan, the president said: “I have told the US to accept and respect our present form of government. It has been mentioned in the agreement.”
The Obama administration, promising financial support to Afghanistan until 2024, had pledged not to let economic gains of the past 10 years go down the drain, he said. The US would also help Afghan security forces to acquire the capability of defending the country independently.
Although a specific amount of money that the US would give to his government was yet to be known, Washington had indicated it would ensure the payment of $2.1 billion to Kabul annually to meet the needs of Afghan forces, the president continued.
Karzai expected additional aid of $2 billion would be pledged by NATO members at the Chicago summit due in late May. He claimed the US had vowed to meet any shortfall if NATO states failed to provide the required amount.
In the eventuality of an attack on Afghanistan by a neighbour, US and NATO-led troops would come to the rescue of the war-torn country, the president maintained.
He went on to reassure neighbours that signing strategic partnership did not pose any threat to them. "There is no threat from Afghanistan soil to our neighbours,” he remarked, hoping the pact would be approved by the lawmakers from both nations.
Afghanistan wanted to further boost relations with Pakistan and Iran, he explained, asking US-led coalition forces to pursue terrorists in their sanctuaries outside Afghanistan’s borders.
To legalise the international community’s presence in the country, ensure respect for the Afghan constitution and sovereinghty, his government had held detailed negotiations with the international community, he said.
With regard to national reconciliation, the president renewed his call for the Taliban to join the peace process and avoid making the foreign presence an excuse for fighting. “My Taliban brothers, Afghanistan is formly on the road to stability, let’s make it even stronger and forge better ties with the global fraternity.”

http://www.pajhwok.com/en/2012/05/03...ecurity-accord

Even Adobe Photoshop can't change me.

A line[Durrand line] of hatred that raised a wall between the two brothers -Hamid Karzai

For generations, the Hindus of India prayed for deliverance from "the venom of the cobra, the teeth of the tiger and the vengeance of the Afghan."

The men of Kábul and Khilj also went home; and whenever they were questioned about the Musulmáns of the Kohistán (the mountains), and how matters stood there, they said, "Don't call it Kohistán, but Afghánistán; for there is nothing there but Afgháns and disturbances." Thus it is clear that for this reason the people of the country call their home in their own language Afghánistán, and themselves Afgháns. The people of India call them Patán; but the reason for this is not known. But it occurs to me, that when, under the rule of Muhammadan sovereigns, Musulmáns first came to the city of Patná, and dwelt there, the people of India (for that reason) called them Patáns—but God knows!

-Ferishta, 1560–1620
(#2)
Old
PF senior
Shah-i-Kot is on a distinguished road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 05-04-2012, 08:45 PM

The foolish puppet is doing all this for public consumption. He will give immunity to US troops for this "pact."

But lets clear something up which most pro-war people here are reluctant to face and admit

The US administration themselves along with several pundits on this matter have said the pact rests on Pakistan's cooperation.

It is laughable that the pact depends on Pakistan.

Rising public hostility to any more involvement in this war has made cooperation out of question, especially for a new leader.

Last edited by Shah-i-Kot; 05-04-2012 at 08:58 PM.
(#3)
Old
Administrator
Admin Khan is on a distinguished road

Thanked 4,566 Times in 2,263 Posts
My Mood: Stressed
Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default 05-05-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynx View Post
The foolish puppet is doing all this for public consumption. He will give immunity to US troops for this "pact."

But lets clear something up which most pro-war people here are reluctant to face and admit

The US administration themselves along with several pundits on this matter have said the pact rests on Pakistan's cooperation.

It is laughable that the pact depends on Pakistan.

Rising public hostility to any more involvement in this war has made cooperation out of question, especially for a new leader.
Let's say Afghanistan doesn't sign a strategic pact with global powers, what's your strategy for survival in the neighborhood? How do you face the bullies?

Even Adobe Photoshop can't change me.

A line[Durrand line] of hatred that raised a wall between the two brothers -Hamid Karzai

For generations, the Hindus of India prayed for deliverance from "the venom of the cobra, the teeth of the tiger and the vengeance of the Afghan."

The men of Kábul and Khilj also went home; and whenever they were questioned about the Musulmáns of the Kohistán (the mountains), and how matters stood there, they said, "Don't call it Kohistán, but Afghánistán; for there is nothing there but Afgháns and disturbances." Thus it is clear that for this reason the people of the country call their home in their own language Afghánistán, and themselves Afgháns. The people of India call them Patán; but the reason for this is not known. But it occurs to me, that when, under the rule of Muhammadan sovereigns, Musulmáns first came to the city of Patná, and dwelt there, the people of India (for that reason) called them Patáns—but God knows!

-Ferishta, 1560–1620
(#4)
Old
PF senior
Shah-i-Kot is on a distinguished road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 05-05-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin Khan View Post
Let's say Afghanistan doesn't sign a strategic pact with global powers, what's your strategy for survival in the neighborhood? How do you face the bullies?
Off topic, but did you hear that Imran Khan and his supporters have surrounded the Parliament house in Pakistan, and will stay there until Gilani resigns?

Anyways, the puppet Karzai already signed the 'pact.' For all the short lived excitement generated among some, everyone knew he was going to sign it.

In regards to this, Karzai is not the government of Afghanistan. He barely even controls Kabul for that matter, and his elections were a sham.

Unfortunately, for the US, signing a "pact" with Karzai is the equivalence of the pact signed with Diem in Vietnam, talking about their commitment.

Pakistan should not to be supporting the NATO war/Karzai regime. This is how Pakistan has been bullying Afghanistan. Those bullets used in the Panjwai massacre came directly from Pakistan air supply routes (termed Air Lines of Communication).

There are only two methods by which NATO/Karzai get lethal supplies,
  • that was through the Ground Lines of Communication (which is currently blocked) and
  • the Air Lines of Communication (which is still open). The Northern Distribution Network only supplies non-lethal aid (food, medicine).

The reason I am telling you this is because the pact in that regard hangs on having a Pakistani leadership that is subservient to the US. Regardless of whatever one says about Pakistan (I oppose their support for NATO/Karzai war, others want them to support it even more than they already do), Pakistan has not been a true "ally" of NATO in many regards.

Imran Khan looks to become the next PM/dominant force in Pakistan, very soon for that matter, as he has hardly ever backed off from his intentions. Im sure all other forms of cooperation will end when he assumes power. People can say what they want about his intentions, but it is very clear why they oppose him.

With that said, Karzai-US pact was on life support right from the second they signed it. As Ryan Crocker has confirmed, the message was never getting through about America's commitment, and even this fell on deaf ears.

Pakistan should stop bullying Afghanistan by ending their critical support for the NATO war/Karzai.

Last edited by Shah-i-Kot; 05-05-2012 at 12:47 PM.

Tags
accord, expects, karzai, security, talks, tough