Pashtun Community | Pashtuns | Pashto |
World's Largest Online Pashtun Community

Go Back   Pashtun Community | Pashtuns | Pashto | > Society & Heritage > Literature - ليكنې
Reload this Page Badal-The thirst for Vengeance
User Tag List

(#31)
Old
PF knowledgeable
haviZsultan is on a distinguished road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 04-14-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurmewal View Post
get it translated in Pashto or Urdu then.
That will come a long time later I am afraid... many people think translation is an easy thing but its one of the hardest things. + I doubt my publisher will cover any of the costs unless the book is extremely successful.

+The urdu books are not usually being sold these das. I was discussing this with a person I know and profits are totally pathetic these days. Sales of Urdu books are declining. Think how much worse it must be for Pashto books.

Urdu has kind of state patronage and is promoted. If its declining then Pashto has even less patronage.

In other words its difficult for me to gain a profit by translating it and selling it. Right now its even difficult for me to sell it in English. I have to work hard promoting it.

But thanks for your ideas. Feel free to read the excerpts on my site:
Excerpt 1
Excerpt 2
Excerpt 3

Also do comment on my site. That will tell me if they were any good. Go through the site if you want. I am the writer of over 40 articles, an ex journalist and a community leader. You can read my profile on my website.

I am the author of Badal, an upcoming fiction novel on the War on Terror. For more information about me visit www.havisultan.com

Follow me on twitter:
https://twitter.com/#!/HaviZSultan
The Following User Says Thank You to haviZsultan For This Useful Post:
pashtun_rise (06-22-2012)
(#32)
Old
PF Frequent visitor
Kurmewal is on a distinguished road

Default 04-14-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haviZsultan View Post
That will come a long time later I am afraid... many people think translation is an easy thing but its one of the hardest things. + I doubt my publisher will cover any of the costs unless the book is extremely successful.

+The urdu books are not usually being sold these das. I was discussing this with a person I know and profits are totally pathetic these days. Sales of Urdu books are declining. Think how much worse it must be for Pashto books.

Urdu has kind of state patronage and is promoted. If its declining then Pashto has even less patronage.

In other words its difficult for me to gain a profit by translating it and selling it. Right now its even difficult for me to sell it in English. I have to work hard promoting it.

But thanks for your ideas. Feel free to read the excerpts on my site:
Excerpt 1
Excerpt 2
Excerpt 3

Also do comment on my site. That will tell me if they were any good. Go through the site if you want. I am the writer of over 40 articles, an ex journalist and a community leader. You can read my profile on my website.

You should use more Pashtun names as opposed to generic Islamic ones.
(#33)
Old
PF knowledgeable

Default 04-14-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurmewal View Post
You should use more Pashtun names as opposed to generic Islamic ones.
Zalmay, Ghamay, Babrak, Zarmina= some Pashtun names used in the book. In my next book Salarzai moon the main characters name is Baz.

The reason for using Arabic names too however is that I wanted to keep it as realistic as possible and a great deal of Pashtuns have Arabic names. So I didn't want to give the impression that this was some fairy-tale where Pashtuns are super-human. in fact the last thing I want to do is show them as super human which is cause of criticism from people like ^^^^.

I want to tell people that Pashtuns are normal human beings, they are people who have greatly suffered, been used as a tool by world powers, massacred by the Taliban with things imposed on them. In this it is the very proof the Pashtuns resilience. A good message in the end but too hard hitting for a racist who thinks Punjab is the source of all ills in this region.

Of course I wish I could qoute some official research on Arabic names like the one I qouted for Karachi Pashtuns and their populations but there is none available in this regard or if there is I don't know about it and have as yet failed to get my hands on it.

Of course theres a chance I only think so because I am actually born and bred in Karachi/Islamabad and most of my relatives and contacts are Peshawari or Karachites. Total city people.

Perhaps in the villages its different.

Another group I need to target is women. Research data indicates the majority of book readers are women.

Quote:
"Unlike the gods of the literary establishment who remain predominately male—both as writers and critics—their humble readers are overwhelmingly female."
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=14175229

Quote:
More women than men read every major category of books except for history and biography. Industry experts said that confirms their observation that men tend to prefer nonfiction.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20381678.../#.T4oom9lPOWo

After I fell sick I ended all contact with everyone including my female friends. Now they don't even know where I am. This is the height of stupidity which can effect my writing career as women could have helped me sell the book and would have been very useful word of mouth promotion. Cause-hell women talk.

Holmes, I love your one liners. They get me thinking about product, place, price, promotion. Keep sharing. There's a chance you might give me an idea I don't have.

I am the author of Badal, an upcoming fiction novel on the War on Terror. For more information about me visit www.havisultan.com

Follow me on twitter:
(#34)
Old
PF contributor
abassinafghan is on a distinguished road

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Default 04-15-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
I am personally motivated to sell this book to Pashtuns. It will please me if the Pashtun buys it. If some are ignorant and backward (not realizing its for them and about their noble struggle against militancy and how they have stood up to every obstacle) and don't buy it I won't mind but I don't want this book to be just for the west or rich Islamabadi, Lahori, & Karachi people. I want to market it to them too. Of course I need to make a profit but the book equally needs to be marketed to the Pashtun.

For my personal satisfaction I want the Pashtun to buy my book. It will please me as in a way this is a gift for the Pashtun

if you were really interessted in the wellbeing of your people , and if you really had to say something which you needed to say , you would be not concerned about to whom you will sell it or how you have to write it , to please certain people .

but do as you wish and just full fill resentiments and prejudices , by repeating wrong history and using sterotypes ....
(#35)
Old
PF senior
Karachi is on a distinguished road

Thanked 1,305 Times in 958 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Default 04-22-2012, 12:10 PM

Havizsultan, I think you should better spend time, helping the poor of pakistan, rather then wasting your time writing books, sensationalizing their sufferings, just to make money yourself. This wont help anybody
(#36)
Old
PF knowledgeable

Default 04-23-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abassinafghan View Post
if you were really interessted in the wellbeing of your people , and if you really had to say something which you needed to say , you would be not concerned about to whom you will sell it or how you have to write it , to please certain people .

but do as you wish and just full fill resentiments and prejudices , by repeating wrong history and using sterotypes ....
Have you read the book? Is it out yet? How can you judge a book that isn't even out.

What wrong history does it represent. I doubt you people have even read the excerpts or all that. Any of you tells me one thing you really think is against Pashtuns or wrong I'll stop writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karachi View Post
Havizsultan, I think you should better spend time, helping the poor of pakistan, rather then wasting your time writing books, sensationalizing their sufferings, just to make money yourself. This wont help anybody
Karachi there is nothing more that annoys me on this site than you and these senseless posts of yours. Seriously.

People like you won't let others do something good and won't take a part in reducing the hate prevalent yourself. You know very well the only reason these people are attacking me is because I am:
1) a liberal against the Taliban.
2) a patriotic Pakistani.

This is ultimately my crime and no matter how much I will say I love the Pashtun people won't believe it.

You don't have the balls to stand up to the taliban neither do you have to defend the country which gave birth to you. What a brilliant thing to do, karachi.

These people are saying what they are taught, they are presenting a worldview they have inherited from childhood. But you?

Do you really believe I am trying to sensationalize the suffering of the Pashtun? I am trying to bring forward a problem and its solution. The solution is definitely not war which is worsening the situation and creating a cycle of revenge.

This book isn't just a book. Its a bisection of the failures in the war on terror and what needs to be corrected.

Follow me on twitter:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to haviZsultan For This Useful Post:
Arooj Khan (05-27-2012), pashtun_rise (06-22-2012)
(#37)
Old
PF senior

Default 04-23-2012, 04:16 PM

^ my point is you know about all the suffering of pakistani people and all failures of government and military, yet you do not say a word against those things. I have seen some of your posts on forums like Pakistani defence forum and I know what kind of a person you are. You are probably the person who supports ISI/military blindly, despite knowing how much harm they have done to pakistanis and pakistan as a country. Today Pakistan is in the lowest of positions because of people like you, who are big hypocrites.

Last edited by Karachi; 04-23-2012 at 08:17 PM.
(#38)
Old
PF knowledgeable

Default 04-24-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karachi View Post
^ my point is you know about all the suffering of pakistani people and all failures of government and military, yet you do not say a word against those things. I have seen some of your posts on forums like Pakistani defence forum and I know what kind of a person you are. You are probably the person who supports ISI/military blindly, despite knowing how much harm they have done to pakistanis and pakistan as a country. Today Pakistan is in the lowest of positions because of people like you, who are big hypocrites.
My idiot friend from my own city which manages to produce many idiots like you. You are playing on popular sentiment on this site. Probably the only reason you have survived this long. What a noble thing to do.

Even a handicapped person like you knows how many times I have criticized the ISI... did you notice how severe i have been in my criticism of the failures of military operations on the militants on that forum? Even caused some arguments. No. Of course not.

The reason I don't swear at the men in uniform is because despite all their weaknesses they are our men, our soldiers, Pakistanis. We have to improve them and make them accountable for the mistakes in 71 and today.

Tell me have you left the military to the gutter or tried to improve it? We guys can change things if we want. We can make the military accountable for the collateral damage it has caused and damage to civilian lives it had done in military operations.

Maybe if people like you who believed the army should be accountable joined the army and made yourself accountable as a soldier things could begin to change. Today the soldiers shell a civilians house and don't take responsibility. Why? Because people like you have left the army to morons.

Do you know Babrak Ahmed Yousufzai? He was one of our people. He claimed that the military should be accountable for its actions. I put my weight behind his petition to make the military take responsibility for collateral damage and innocent civilians killed in Swat to military bullets.

And please don't bull**** me. Pakistan is in the lowest of positions because of people like you who do not let others do anything for their country neither do they themselves. They are only their to sit away from the country and complain when someone tries to.

No positive change can come to the country until people like you exist.

We will solve the problems in the country like it or not. Whether you criticize us every step of the way or not. The views of someone who abandoned his country do not count.

Follow me on twitter:
(#39)
Old
PF senior

Default 04-24-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haviZsultan View Post
My idiot friend from my own city which manages to produce many idiots like you. You are playing on popular sentiment on this site. Probably the only reason you have survived this long. What a noble thing to do.

Even a handicapped person like you knows how many times I have criticized the ISI... did you notice how severe i have been in my criticism of the failures of military operations on the militants on that forum? Even caused some arguments. No. Of course not.

The reason I don't swear at the men in uniform is because despite all their weaknesses they are our men, our soldiers, Pakistanis. We have to improve them and make them accountable for the mistakes in 71 and today.

Tell me have you left the military to the gutter or tried to improve it? We guys can change things if we want. We can make the military accountable for the collateral damage it has caused and damage to civilian lives it had done in military operations.

Maybe if people like you who believed the army should be accountable joined the army and made yourself accountable as a soldier things could begin to change. Today the soldiers shell a civilians house and don't take responsibility. Why? Because people like you have left the army to morons.

Do you know Babrak Ahmed Yousufzai? He was one of our people. He claimed that the military should be accountable for its actions. I put my weight behind his petition to make the military take responsibility for collateral damage and innocent civilians killed in Swat to military bullets.

And please don't bull**** me. Pakistan is in the lowest of positions because of people like you who do not let others do anything for their country neither do they themselves. They are only their to sit away from the country and complain when someone tries to.

No positive change can come to the country until people like you exist.

We will solve the problems in the country like it or not. Whether you criticize us every step of the way or not. The views of someone who abandoned his country do not count.
what are you trying? do you think writing some idiotic book will change the country?

As for me I am not responsible for pakistan, because I have hardly lived their in my life, but from an outside perspective, the most corrupt people are you elites pakistanis, who think pakistan is only for them, you morons never think of 90% of the people below you who are suffering. As long as you people exist in pakistan, pakistan will never fix and only deteriorate further. You blind ISI type people are a lost cause.

Last edited by Karachi; 04-24-2012 at 07:11 PM.
(#40)
Old
PF senior
کیش is on a distinguished road

Thanked 1,290 Times in 1,052 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Default 04-24-2012, 10:19 PM

This is what I get from your views, and why you are writing this book:

Demagogue
verb (used with object)
to treat or manipulate (a political issue) in the manner of a demagogue; obscure or distort with emotionalism, prejudice, etc.

But what is a demagogue,

noun
a person, especially an orator or political leader, or writer who gains power and popularity by arousing the emotions, passions, and prejudices of the people.

Tags
badalthe, thirst, vengeance