Pashtun Community | Pashtuns | Pashto |
World's Largest Online Pashtun Community

Go Back   Pashtun Community | Pashtuns | Pashto | > Society & Heritage > Pashtun History - د پښتنو تاريخ
Reload this Page New Comprehensive Afghan DNA Study!
User Tag List

(#1)
Old
PF knowledgeable
Midnight_Sun is on a distinguished road

My Mood: Amused
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation New Comprehensive Afghan DNA Study! - 03-31-2012, 02:11 PM

A recent article has come out showing the differences and similarities among Afghan ethnic groups by studying the Y-Haplogroup (male) marker of Afghans.

There are genetic similarites between the Tajiks and the Pashtuns. On the flip side, the Uzbeks and Hazaras are genetically linked, their differences today are because of cultural shifts in the population.

Some keypoints:

1. Pashtuns and Tajiks have the largest R1a1a (Indo-Iranian marker) makeup in their respective populations: Pashtuns (51.02%) and Tajiks (30.36%). That suggests 49% of Pashtuns, and 70% of Tajiks in this study, were not originally part of that group in the beginning, meaning cultural assimilation in the past 5,000 years.

2. Uzbeks, Hazaras, and Turkmens share a similar East Asian ancestry: C3-M217 was significantly more frequent (p = 4.55×10−9) in Uzbeks (41.18%) and Hazaras (33.33%) than it was in Tajiks (3.57%) and Pashtuns (2.04%).

3. There were many oddballs in the study, there were some Hazara that showed ancestry to East African, meaning most likely some link to the slave trade, possibly by the Mongols or Turks.

4. There were Pashtuns and Tajiks in the study that had Romani (gypsy) genetic markers, I believe, most likely from the slave trade (aka Hindu Kush slave trade) as well.

5. Some Afghans who claimed they were Arab, ended up being (surprise surprise), South Asian.

6. There were NO genetic links between Pashtuns or Tajiks to the Greeks in this study.

The conclusion is simple, Afghans all share a common history in the region. Marked by Neolithic, Bronze Age civilizations, amalgamated in time by the different tribes that migrated to the region, and the genetic variability they brought from their conquered lands.

Source:

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:...l.pone.0034288
The Following User Says Thank You to Midnight_Sun For This Useful Post:
JattApache (03-31-2012)
(#2)
Old
PF senior
Karachi is on a distinguished road

Thanked 1,308 Times in 961 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Default 03-31-2012, 02:15 PM

already posted: http://www.pashtunforums.com/showthread.php?t=27257
(#3)
Old
PF knowledgeable
JattApache is an unknown quantity at this point

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default 03-31-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
The conclusion is simple, Afghans all share a common history in the region. Marked by Neolithic, Bronze Age civilizations, amalgamated in time by the different tribes that migrated to the region, and the genetic variability they brought from their conquered lands.
This.

(#4)
Old
Prince Of PF
Adam is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,426 Posts
My Mood: Blah
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default 03-31-2012, 03:10 PM

Somebody gimme the lowdown on R1a1a
(#5)
Old
PF knowledgeable

Default 03-31-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karachi View Post
Somebody should merge these two threads.
(#6)
Old
PF knowledgeable

Default 03-31-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamYousafzai View Post
Somebody gimme the lowdown on R1a1a
R1a1a is the ethnic Indo-Iranic marker , found primarily in South-Central Asia. One variety, R1a1a7 is primarily found in Europe, but rare in South Asia.

This marker is also associated with the Indo-Europeans who traveled to our region about 5-6,000 years ago from the Central Asian steppe lands.

My own genetic study reveals that I am also R1a1a.
The Following User Says Thank You to Midnight_Sun For This Useful Post:
Adam (03-31-2012)
(#7)
Old
PF Frequent visitor
AfghanResistance is on a distinguished road

Default 04-01-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight_Sun View Post
R1a1a is the ethnic Indo-Iranic marker , found primarily in South-Central Asia. One variety, R1a1a7 is primarily found in Europe, but rare in South Asia.

This marker is also associated with the Indo-Europeans who traveled to our region about 5-6,000 years ago from the Central Asian steppe lands.

You said that marker is found primarily in southern central asia. What about this marker in the Iranian people. I was wondering if studies have shown whether the Iranians are related to us i.e. pukhtana. Thanks
(#8)
Old
PF Frequent visitor
DMXX is on a distinguished road

My Mood: Busy
Default 04-02-2012, 11:50 AM

I can only stress flexibility in the interpretations of genetic evidence when modern endogamous/isolated Indo-Iranian speaking populations - From Pashtuns, to the Kalash, to Pamiri Tajiks, to north Indian Brahmins, to Kurds, to Parsis - All seem to display, at the minimum, a common Y-Chromosomal spectrum of L1c-M357, R2a-M124, R1a1a-M17 and J2-M172. I also kindly advise those presuming Haplogroup R1a1a-M17 to represent the sole paternal marker associated with the spread of Indo-Iranians to examine the archaeological evidence, which shows at least two admixture events between the Sintashta culture to the BMAC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfghanResistance View Post
You said that marker is found primarily in southern central asia. What about this marker in the Iranian people. I was wondering if studies have shown whether the Iranians are related to us i.e. pukhtana. Thanks
Based on my work (which I cannot elaborate on due to an "information cap"), generally speaking, there appear to be both prehistoric and ancient paternal connections between Iranians and Afghan Pakhtuns, although there doesn't appear to be any recent ties.

Last edited by DMXX; 04-02-2012 at 12:19 PM.
(#9)
Old
Administrator
Admin Khan is on a distinguished road

Thanked 4,620 Times in 2,297 Posts
My Mood: Stressed
Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default 02-21-2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight_Sun View Post

R1a1a1* is what I am as well.

Even Adobe Photoshop can't change me.

A line[Durrand line] of hatred that raised a wall between the two brothers -Hamid Karzai

For generations, the Hindus of India prayed for deliverance from "the venom of the cobra, the teeth of the tiger and the vengeance of the Afghan."

The men of Kábul and Khilj also went home; and whenever they were questioned about the Musulmáns of the Kohistán (the mountains), and how matters stood there, they said, "Don't call it Kohistán, but Afghánistán; for there is nothing there but Afgháns and disturbances." Thus it is clear that for this reason the people of the country call their home in their own language Afghánistán, and themselves Afgháns. The people of India call them Patán; but the reason for this is not known. But it occurs to me, that when, under the rule of Muhammadan sovereigns, Musulmáns first came to the city of Patná, and dwelt there, the people of India (for that reason) called them Patáns—but God knows!

-Ferishta, 1560–1620
(#10)
Old
PF senior
ډګروال is on a distinguished road

Default 02-21-2014, 10:51 PM

mine is N1aB1aA1a

jokes aside , ^^^ the joke

this dna fanaticism is something what the jews are very concerned with since they want to
proof their israelitness and to lay claim to the land of Israel.

others do it simply to waste some money.

Tags
afghan, comprehensive, dna, study