Pashtun Community | Pashtuns | Pashto |
World's Largest Online Pashtun Community

Go Back   Pashtun Community | Pashtuns | Pashto | > Politics & Current Affairs > World News - د نړۍ خبرونه
Reload this Page Australia to sell uranium to India
User Tag List

(#1)
Old
PF knowledgeable
Maulik is on a distinguished road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Australia to sell uranium to India - 11-17-2011, 10:19 PM

Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard is pushing to overturn a ban on sales of uranium to India, removing a diplomatic thorn between the two countries and potentially opening up a new and growing market for Australian suppliers.

Australia has refused to sell nuclear material to India because it has not signed the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT), but Gillard's ruling Labor party will debate lifting the ban at its conference next month.

"I believe the time has come for the Labor party to change this position. Selling uranium to India will be good for the Australian economy and good for jobs," Gillard told reporters.

Gillard said the policy shift would apply only to India and not open up potential sales to either Israel:cry: or Pakistan, as only India had sought and received an exemption from the International Atomic Energy Agency and the Nuclear Suppliers Group.

"So that puts India in a class of its own," Gillard said. "When you look at other nations, whether it be Pakistan or Israel, they are not in that same class."

The move is set to spark heated debate at the party's December conference, but should easily pass with support from Labor's dominant right faction. The policy does not need to go to parliament for approval, but the conservative opposition also supports uranium sales to India.

Gillard's policy shift comes on the eve of US President Barack Obama's visit to Australia and would bring Australia's uranium policy into line with the United States.

'Discriminatory and flawed'

Washington in 2008 signed a landmark civil nuclear agreement with India over the use of uranium for nuclear energy.

Australia has almost 40 percent of the world's known uranium reserves, but supplies only 19 percent of the world market. It has no nuclear power stations.

India has refused to sign the nuclear NPT, arguing it is discriminatory and flawed in allowing only countries which had tested nuclear weapons before 1967 to legally possess them.

Pakistan, Israel and North Korea are the only other non-signatories to the treaty.

Australia to sell uranium to India ? but ban on Israel stands - Israel News, Ynetnews
(#2)
Old
PF senior
faye is on a distinguished road

Thanked 1,779 Times in 1,459 Posts
My Mood: Breezy
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default 11-17-2011, 10:41 PM

another big 'suck up' to the u.s. nuke...puke!!!
(#3)
Old
PF knowledgeable
KhalsaWarrior is on a distinguished road

My Mood: Lurking
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default 11-18-2011, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faye View Post
another big 'suck up' to the u.s. nuke...puke!!!
I think its a very positive and welcome development.

Honestly, the Australian govt. was just burying its head in the sand. It has to accept changing geo-political realities. If the Russians, French and the Yanks dont have a problem with India not signing the discriminatory nuclear treaties I dont see why the Aussies should. Its not like they have followed an independent foreign policy at any point of time.
(#4)
Old
PF senior
Talal is on a distinguished road

My Mood: Brooding
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Default 11-18-2011, 01:20 AM

They would be stupid not to do business with India especially with europe looking the way it is Austrailia needs outreach to major growing economies inorder to save itself the drama..besides India has sufficient deposits of its own

It's enough that I know, Our time had a home, In your heart..Was a place..But the glass always breaks..
(#5)
Old
PF knowledgeable

Default 11-18-2011, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talal View Post
They would be stupid not to do business with India especially with europe looking the way it is Austrailia needs outreach to major growing economies inorder to save itself the drama..besides India has sufficient deposits of its own
Yup, but from what I know, they are of a relatively lower grade. Australia apparently has the best quality Uranium. The same's true for materials like coal. India has ample amounts of coal, but most of them are of low grade and not really useful for high industry operations. So we import coal (anthracite) from Australia.

India did sign uranium fuel deals with other countries to cover any eventuality of Australia's indecision.
(#6)
Old
PF senior
Talal is on a distinguished road

My Mood: Brooding
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Default 11-18-2011, 10:24 AM

coal power generation with CCS is actually picking up a lot of attention to these days

It's enough that I know, Our time had a home, In your heart..Was a place..But the glass always breaks..
(#7)
Old
PF senior
faye is on a distinguished road

Thanked 1,779 Times in 1,459 Posts
My Mood: Breezy
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default 11-25-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhalsaWarrior View Post
I think its a very positive and welcome development.

Honestly, the Australian govt. was just burying its head in the sand. It has to accept changing geo-political realities. If the Russians, French and the Yanks dont have a problem with India not signing the discriminatory nuclear treaties I dont see why the Aussies should. Its not like they have followed an independent foreign policy at any point of time.
yes, i dig the sarcasm, khalsa. australia is the tail that gets wagged by the u.s. dog.
so after the uranium spills and the effects it has on the environment and living creatures, there are still morons supportive of it's use. good on you.
(#8)
Old
PF knowledgeable

Default 11-30-2011, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faye View Post
yes, i dig the sarcasm, khalsa. australia is the tail that gets wagged by the u.s. dog.
so after the uranium spills and the effects it has on the environment and living creatures, there are still morons supportive of it's use. good on you.
I love how suddenly environment is big concern when the developing economies need fuel for growth. 50 years ago when the West was setting up nuclear plants a plenty, nobody raised any hackles about the danger to the environment.

If Australia and the rest of the West is so worried about the environmental degradation caused by the increased consumption in India, China, Brazil etc, it should invest and promote cheaper eco-friendly fuels rather than limiting fuel supplies.
(#9)
Old
PF senior
JAMALUDEEN is an unknown quantity at this point

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default 12-01-2011, 02:41 AM

Good move by Australia....

Tags
australia, india, sell, uranium