Pashtun Community | Pashtuns | Pashto |
World's Largest Online Pashtun Community

Go Back   Pashtun Community | Pashtuns | Pashto | > Profession & Science > Philosophy/Education فلسفه/تعلیم
Reload this Page Establishing a School in Afghanistan
User Tag List

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
(#1)
Old
Administrator
tor_khan is on a distinguished road

Thanked 1,724 Times in 991 Posts
My Mood: Cheeky
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Establishing a School in Afghanistan - 07-23-2011, 09:30 AM

Salaam u Alaikum Forum Members,

A couple of weeks ago I was in Afghanistan working with a respected NGO on a project to set up a school. The school is registered with the ministry and once the school is established, InshAllah, it is likely that others in this model will be replicated. Of course the changing political situation is one that I will need to watch, but the school is a significant project and most probably will occupy a fair bit of attention over the coming years, InshAllah.

I had an audience with the British Ambassador amongst others who figured that this was a drop in the ocean. I agree to a point, but we all have to do something; we all have to put something back. All of the "good" Ministers that I've met (and who know me by name now) - Dr Farooq Wardak, Dr Karim Baz etc. have been wonderfully supportive. To that end, this is important.

Jalalabad is where Phase 1 of the school is going to be set up so even though I understand that schools won't be attacked (negotiations at many different levels), this is Afghanistan - expect delays - and I had to leave before the teacher selection phase, but after the Principal was appointed. I have left very clear instructions as to what I am looking for and will be back InshAllah to do the development, support, training and mentoring work.

The school grounds, Ma'ashAllah, are beautiful and I want a premium product. The good thing is that for the kids, fees will not be an obstacle to getting a place as it is a not-for-profit venture.

Anyway, I am still working on various logistics, but wanted to gather your thoughts. Take a look at http://www.ktki.org/. Basically, they provide resource/supply kits with some children's made books to places like Afghanistan. I have been looking at a consignment for a project school in Logar and this is how I came across them.

How about if PF Members (mostly US/UK based) could do the same? I have a feeling that it might be possible in theory. I am thinking of KG/early years education type material - soft toys, place mats, children's drawings, posters, balls of string etc - functional classroom stuff.

We'd need a PO Box number or something and someone to collect things up and send them to Kabul. The question is, is there anyone with the time and energy willing to coordinate this? I can provide further details via PM where necessary.

I would aim to get a little plaque made up to acknowledge contributions at the school and we could share pictures (security clearances pending).

Let me know your thoughts.

Manena.

Last edited by tor_khan; 07-23-2011 at 09:33 AM.

Tags
afghanistan, establishing, school