Pashtun Community | Pashtuns | Pashto |
World's Largest Online Pashtun Community

Go Back   Pashtun Community | Pashtuns | Pashto | > Society & Heritage > Pashtun Culture - د پښتنو دود
Reload this Page Why do we Pashtuns get mad so easily?
User Tag List

(#1)
Old
Administrator
tor_khan is on a distinguished road

Thanked 1,689 Times in 966 Posts
My Mood: Cheeky
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 04-16-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlombay View Post
Is this genetics? What is it?

we are known to be quick to slap someone for disrespecting us, Is it because we are too proud?

Please contribute.
On occasions I've fallen into the trap of being a cardboard cut out stereotype. That said, as Rihana remarks, its an urban myth.

In fact we should look at this differently - Pashtoons are people of peace - they have been caught at the crossroads of violence by people and circumstances around them. Consider how Bacha Khan started an incredible peace movement that swept Pakhtunkhwa and reached beyond. He worked hard at promoting Pashtoons as people who would make contributions to society through a pledge to do a greater good.

His message was the inspiration that motivated Gandhi and other peace activists.

He shook India, the British colonialists and the emergent state of Pakistan, and not once did he take up arms. His greatest wishes were that Pashtoons be known as cultured people who were able to fight their battles by virtue of the pen and not guns. And the price that he paid for his calls of peace and Pashtoon unity?

Thirty years of his life in jail ... and he still remained a man of peace.

(#2)
Old
Roshina

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default 04-16-2010, 01:19 PM

I agree, Tor Khana. Love the example of the Bacha who has changed lives!

I do not believe Pashtuns are quick to react; I don't think Pashtuns have any anger issues. I think our social behavior is aggrandized to the effect that its becoming a stereotype now makes some Pashtun men go, "I'm a Pashtun -- so the whole world KNOWS I get angry easily! Live with it!"

In the movie "Umrao Jaan," the "hero" is "Pathan," as he says. He tells his beloved, "I'm Pathan" and it's his "Pathanness" that later makes him repel his beloved when an enemy of hers accuses her of having been physical with him and reports her to her beloved! The hero reminds her, "I told you I'm Pathan," and basically in this context, it meant "my *honor* means everything to me so I don't care about you anymore BECAUSE the guy I don't know at all must be telling me the truth about you even though I know you much more than I know him." It also meant "I told you I'm Pathan, which means I get angry easily and am abusive. Now get lost and never talk to me again!"

So, no, I don't think Pashtuns have anger issues; it's definitely exaggerated, and it's something that people of ALL cultures have.
(#3)
Old
*Mahzala*

Default 04-16-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrratugai View Post
I agree, Tor Khana. Love the example of the Bacha who has changed lives!

I do not believe Pashtuns are quick to react; I don't think Pashtuns have any anger issues. I think our social behavior is aggrandized to the effect that its becoming a stereotype now makes some Pashtun men go, "I'm a Pashtun -- so the whole world KNOWS I get angry easily! Live with it!"

In the movie "Umrao Jaan," the "hero" is "Pathan," as he says. He tells his beloved, "I'm Pathan" and it's his "Pathanness" that later makes him repel his beloved when an enemy of hers accuses her of having been physical with him and reports her to her beloved! The hero reminds her, "I told you I'm Pathan," and basically in this context, it meant "my *honor* means everything to me so I don't care about you anymore BECAUSE the guy I don't know at all must be telling me the truth about you even though I know you much more than I know him." It also meant "I told you I'm Pathan, which means I get angry easily and am abusive. Now get lost and never talk to me again!"

So, no, I don't think Pashtuns have anger issues; it's definitely exaggerated, and it's something that people of ALL cultures have.
Great minds think alike! I was even going to use that example ...
(#4)
Old
Administrator
Admin Khan is on a distinguished road

Thanked 4,575 Times in 2,267 Posts
My Mood: Stressed
Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default 04-16-2010, 01:25 PM

we are regular human beings, we do not have anger problems at all.
We are known to be athletic,strong,brave and courageous.

Even Adobe Photoshop can't change me.

A line[Durrand line] of hatred that raised a wall between the two brothers -Hamid Karzai

For generations, the Hindus of India prayed for deliverance from "the venom of the cobra, the teeth of the tiger and the vengeance of the Afghan."

The men of Kábul and Khilj also went home; and whenever they were questioned about the Musulmáns of the Kohistán (the mountains), and how matters stood there, they said, "Don't call it Kohistán, but Afghánistán; for there is nothing there but Afgháns and disturbances." Thus it is clear that for this reason the people of the country call their home in their own language Afghánistán, and themselves Afgháns. The people of India call them Patán; but the reason for this is not known. But it occurs to me, that when, under the rule of Muhammadan sovereigns, Musulmáns first came to the city of Patná, and dwelt there, the people of India (for that reason) called them Patáns—but God knows!

-Ferishta, 1560–1620
(#5)
Old
Roshina

Default 04-16-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Mesbah* View Post
Great minds think alike! I was even going to use that example ...
OMG! Reeeeally?? :D That part of the movie really, REALLY offended me. Like non-"Pathans" don't get angry or trust their beloveds any more than "Pathans" do! Pessh.
(#6)
Old
*Mahzala*

Default 04-16-2010, 01:29 PM

Qrratu: Erm yeah I was. I know, but in a way it also said that 'Pathans' are true to their word, as he, at the end didn't give her any room for clarification ... On a whole though, that was one heartbreaking movie, I think.
(#7)
Old
PF senior
Nokia_Apridy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanked 1,470 Times in 958 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 04-16-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unhiddentruth View Post
we Pashtuns don't like playing games and we are known to be very honest and straightforward.
Wakhhhhhhhhhh Jardsham raka chay tanday da khukul kram

Zargeya dar kha ....

Sta da khbray sra ba zma da Neka khbra wachwu chal tala pa drana

shi...........

POLICY GHATA DAWOSEY DA.........
(#8)
Old
Roshina

Default 04-16-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Qrratu: Erm yeah I was. I know, but in a way it also said that 'Pathans' are true to their word, as he, at the end didn't give her any room for clarification ...
Certainly - that we stick to our word . . . even if it means betraying the one we love and have committed to, in a way. That's the killing part of it for me.

Quote:
On a whole though, that was one heartbreaking movie, I think.
Oh it was heartbreaking for sure! It left a hole in my heart
By the way, have you read the Memoirs of a Geisha? Or watched the movie? ... It is the EXACT same thing as "Umrao Jaan"! Just a Japanese version of "Umrao Jaan" ... or then the latter is an Indian version of "Memoirs of a Geisha," lol.
(#9)
Old
pukhtana

Default 04-16-2010, 10:01 PM

Pashtuns get mad because of their pride and honor.
(#10)
Old
Roshina

Default 04-16-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsomepashtun View Post
I agree with you guys but I feel like you guys are hiding from the trth.
Which is ... that Pukhtun men are just naturally more angry, more bitter than men of other races? There are certainly many Pukhtun men who have anger issues, and I can't deny that, but there are women with anger issues as well, and there are non-Pukhtuns with the same problem.

Plus, as I mentioned, I think that constantly saying that Pashtuns get angry easily gives our women a reason to be angry, since they have to be angry in order to be full Pashtuns, you see? Pukhtun men are born the same way that non-Pukhtun men are; there's nothing biologically different about them; there's no extra or lack of a certain chemical or hormones in their brain or the rest of their bodies that makes them "angry." It's the implications of the stereotype that Pukhtun men get angry easily and are abusive and are possessive and so on. And since this means it's only social/cultural, it CAN be changed... and should be changed because it's unhealthy for the society overall. Anger is, abusive is, possession is -- all negative qualities taken to the extreme are bad for society.

Tags
easily, mad, pashtuns