View Full Version : field-girls

Sitaara
12-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Girls those of you who are done with your education, what is your major and are you happy in your field. I need to get some ideas. Everybody, which field is good for girls/women? And nothing about dentistry, i have tried that and didnt like it.

Sitaara
12-06-2010, 08:59 PM
how do i move this topic to education section?

Admin Khan
12-06-2010, 09:03 PM
how do i move this topic to education section?
Hi,

Done.

Sitaara
12-06-2010, 09:09 PM
Hi,

Done.
thanks bro!
I am a Journalist, and I am extremely happy. *Mahzala* is also a journalist.
Good to hear you are happy in it.

Feroza_Banu
12-07-2010, 02:11 AM
not a field many women choose... electrical engineering (concentration in analog design, and minor in mathematics). currently working full time as prouct safety engineer and i really like my job.

Its one of the toughest field, with high competition in industry.... but the job has a position and respect that average fields lack.

i like the fact that i break alot of stereotypes about afghan women amongst average Americans. i get all sorts of reaction when they find out i am afghan and NOT born and raised in america ;)

I am also happy to say I know 4 other Afghan female engineers who are close friends of mine. very talented girls and making our community proud :)

IamDZJ
12-07-2010, 12:05 PM
Pursuing furthur education in a field of interest doesn't have to be a career option jasmine. Some people just want to learn for the sake of gaining more knowledge on a subject that interests them.
Anyways, I don't have any degrees. I don't even have my high school diploma. :cryy:

Sitaara
12-07-2010, 01:26 PM
I was a double major, one of my majors was Political science. It was a short major but finding a job is difficult.
what was other major? my bro did political science and he did find a very good job, but for a few years he worked in Afghanistan and now he is working in usa.
Me ... Islamic Studies / Arabic, philosophy, gender studies, and Islamic law. (Okay, okay - it's ONE field (Islamic Studies) with a ton of sub-fields of my personal interests.) And I'm loving each one, and if I had to re-live my life 20 more times, I'd choose the exact same fields.
thts interesting and the best part is that you really like it.
not a field many women choose... electrical engineering (concentration in analog design, and minor in mathematics). currently working full time as prouct safety engineer and i really like my job.

Its one of the toughest field, with high competition in industry.... but the job has a position and respect that average fields lack.

i like the fact that i break alot of stereotypes about afghan women amongst average Americans. i get all sorts of reaction when they find out i am afghan and NOT born and raised in america ;)

I am also happy to say I know 4 other Afghan female engineers who are close friends of mine. very talented girls and making our community proud :)
You job looks very good but something i will never go for it because i'm not into electric stuff tht much. Yes Afghans are very talented when they try.
When deciding a career, one should carefully observe the demand of the major. For example a degree like Islamic studies hold little to no value when compared to accounting,Computer science and Finance. Choose what you like but do look at the job prospects!
i want to go for computer science but i dont know if many girls choose this major.
Pursuing furthur education in a field of interest doesn't have to be a career option jasmine. Some people just want to learn for the sake of gaining more knowledge on a subject that interests them.
Anyways, I don't have any degrees. I don't even have my high school diploma. :cryy:
Sometimes i want to take a class just to learn..like a computer class or a religion class.

Master Khan
12-07-2010, 04:32 PM
wow Roshina khor thats good mashallah

Sitaara
12-07-2010, 05:08 PM
I admire ladies who go into fields that are traditionally considered "masculine" -- like engineering! You GO, Perozey!! :runaround:

So, Sitaara guley, if you really like computer science and you believe it has a lot to offer you and you have a lot to offer the world with it, go for it -- regardless of whether many girls choose the field or not. Chances are, if there are a LOT of females in something, you decrease your opportunities to make big contributions to your perspective field.

I believe in choosing a field in which you have a lot to contribute. If you don't think you can contribute much to it and not take much out of it, don't do it. It's a waste of a mind.
Inshallah next semester i have signed up for classes which are required for cs. just pray for me!
I think what Jasmine meant was Islamic studies and middle eastern has no demand. Which is true.

Sitaara go for CS. Be aware it's extremely difficult. Go for political science or Islamic studies if you just want a Ba degree. CS has too much math and physics which is considered difficult. It's also a long major which takes 5-6years to complete but upon completion you can have a great job. no need for grad school.
i'm happy that it has too much math because i loveeeeeeeeee math. I believe i can do it.

Laila
12-07-2010, 06:26 PM
I am studying Biology. And i am really happy, i can do so much. I have serious plans to further my education, become a doctor, and work in Afghanistan. Thats my ultimate dream, and my hope.

Do what you like........ what you are more passionate about.

Zayam
12-07-2010, 10:12 PM
I agree, about a B.A. in the Social Sciences. I have one in Social Work, which is pretty much worthless (maybe I should study International Studies and Islamic and Geography), except that it opened doors, maybe to International Social work, which i what I consider myself, or at least it is one of my many hats. I am not high paid, though, because I am self-motivated, and not working for an organization really other than one of my own making. I have no security but love what I do, I take that back I do not have conventional "worldly" security, I know that if I am on the path Allah wants me on, then Allah will also meet my needs.

I am also a Baker, and trying to get that running more profitably, but again, working for myself! So if anyone out there is interested in a cake that tastes like Persian Baklava, wrapped in Scottish Shortbread, then contact me!

People keep telling me that I should write a book of my many adventures....who knows?

I am a "Jill of All Trades".......yes as my Daddy always said "Get involved in a occupation that you enjoy!" I as I said, love what I do!

*Mahzala*
12-07-2010, 10:55 PM
I am a Journalist, and I am extremely happy. *Mahzala* is also a journalist.

Graduated with a major in Journalism, yes, but not quite the journalist people expect me to be yet. I want to go on a long break, so long, when I come back, the concept of new journalism will be old again.

Sitaara
12-08-2010, 12:41 AM
My wife is a doctor. She is very happy.
You must be proud of her. It is a good major but very long process in usa.

Admin Khan
12-08-2010, 01:20 AM
Sitaara, Computer Science is challenging but don't let people discourage you. Yes it's probably a long major but what you learn from it is priceless. :-) What's the highest level of Math you have taken? Computer Science is very math intensive, and since it's a difficult major, many people aren't capable of handling it. I am confident that you can handle it though.

kandahari ella
12-08-2010, 03:56 AM
Wow there's a lot being said here. Well I majored in the majors that are being hated on. =)
Comparative Literature and Sociology with an emphasis in law and society. I knew from the beginning it would be worthless, but I needed and wanted the analytical skills, reading skills and writing skills those majors offered me. I need them for law school Insha'Allah.

At the end of the day, choice something you'll be happy in. Something you'll find rewarding. As previously mentioned a Bachelor's degree is like a High School Diploma today. So yes, if you major in anything in the social sciences you'll get to go beyond. While staying in fields such as engineering, computer science or any science for that matter will and can get you a better job. However, remember that while you're majoring in those fields you GPA needs to be high. Yes, the classes are tougher than your average sociology or communications class, but the places that you want to get hired at want a good GPA. By a good GPA I mean at least a 3.0. That's what Yahoo, Google, Chevron, Apple,Shell and all those big corporations want. You'd think that getting a 3.0 or above in those fields would be a piece of cake. But NO. As mentioned computer science (since I'm using the tech companies) is a difficult field, and its demanding. I know this from a couple of my friends majoring in Computer Science. So if you can handle the math and physics part of computer science, by all means go for it. At the same time, take this with a grain of salt. You don't have to work for any of the corporations I just mentioned. You can work for something low key, where they want a 2.8 or above GPA.

And its a competitive field, but if you enjoy the competitiveness and can tackle the math then by all means GO FOR IT GIRL!! =) Represent, because frankly there are hardly any girls within those majors. Show those nerds what you're able to handle! You'll love it. =) Either way, pray and Insha'Allah you'll find something rewarding that you'll enjoy waking up to each and every single day. =)

Sitaara
12-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Reading some people replies and reading about computer science online, most people said it's really hard. so i might think about it, but i still will like to go into maybe IT..inshallah i will know as time goes by.

Feroza_Banu
12-08-2010, 07:05 PM
^computer science is a field for programmers. you might wanna take a class or two of programming and see if u like it.

I suggest you take "C++" or visual basic. see if u like programming... if it doesn't interest you then i suggest u choose a different major, caz CS is mostly programming.

Admin Khan
12-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Feroza khor,
Computer Science is a lot more than just programming. It has I believe 800 sub categories. Writing programs is just one path you can pursue with a CS degree. You can even be a Database administrator, an IT consultant, work for a Helpdesk for a major technological corporation or be a project manager for mobile operating systems. In fact, you can even work in the telecommunications industry.

Sitaara, don't let anyone discourage you. Take a basic CS course and see if you enjoy it. I will just warn you that it's a math intensive major. If you aren't good in Math, don't destroy your GPA by taking CS. It's also a pretty long major, which is just one of the reasons why it's in demand. :-)

Feroza_Banu
12-08-2010, 07:40 PM
^thats great then, because i know for a fact that programming is not everyone's cup of tea. i have seen many change majors because of programming... oh wait those students were computer engineering student... ya seems like CS would be broader than that.

Admin Khan
12-08-2010, 07:41 PM
^thats great then, because i know for a fact that programming is not everyone's cup of tea. i have seen many change majors because of programming... oh wait those students were computer engineering student... ya seems like CS would be broader than that.

The thing about CS is it has a lot of math. It requires think, and if you aren't a sharp thinker, you wouldn't be successful. Many students after taking a few calculus course drop CS a major because they can't handle the math.

Feroza_Banu
12-08-2010, 07:43 PM
^aahh i see. so how much math is required for the program... up to differential equations or more?

Admin Khan
12-08-2010, 07:46 PM

The thing about CS is it has a lot of problem-solving which generally requires someone to think and analyze. Many students after taking a few calculus course drop CS as a major. Why? Because they can't handle the math and thinking. The same goes for Electrical Engineering, if someone is horrible in Physics and Math, and if they refuse to sit down and learn, it just isn't for them. One of the reasons why there is an influx of immigrants in the USA is because they have talent, Americans unfortunately don't like Math and foreign languages. The irony in this is that the USA is still the most technological and innovative nation in the world.

Feroza_Banu
12-08-2010, 07:53 PM
^yes i agree... electrical engineering is all mathematics and electronic concepts up until the end. THere is no way, absolutely no way to avoid math.

and i agree... in our departmenat at university, the whites were the minority. we used to joke with them in our IEEE hall whenever they would come to study, and say, "hello white man, what r u doing here"... fun times!

P.S. there were literally about 4 to 5 white guys in our engineering senior year.

Admin Khan
12-08-2010, 08:09 PM
^yes i agree... electrical engineering is all mathematics and electronic concepts up until the end. THere is no way, absolutely no way to avoid math.

and i agree... in our departmenat at university, the whites were the minority. we used to joke with them in our IEEE hall whenever they would come to study, and say, "hello white man, what r u doing here"... fun times!

P.S. there were literally about 4 to 5 white guys in our engineering senior year.

I am really happy to know that you majored in EE. I was shocked because you are the only Afghan girl I know who has majored in EE. EE is not easy people, I repeat, you must be a sharp logical thinker. The Afghans that reside in the east coast are pretty big on majoring in accounting. My problem with Accounting is that it does not have much Math in it's curriculum which makes it more competitive, because every Tom and Harry can learn the GAAP and be an accountant. Perozey, Imagine if Afghans back home had the kind of opportunity that we have here.

P.S
I just noticed this thread was meant to be for ladies, I apologize ladies.

kakargirl
12-08-2010, 08:20 PM

mashallah im impressed feroza im even more impressed that you wasnt born and rasied there but you proved them all mashallah i know theres alot afghan males who are engineers but not women im proud of you as maths is very difficult in engineering and its required well its required in what im doing even which is biochemistry 3 cheers for feroza the engineer :celebrate:

Feroza_Banu
12-08-2010, 08:20 PM
^Admin wror: i pray that inshaAllah one day every Afghan get this opportunity that we got.

i may be the only one you know, but I am proud to announce that I have 2 other Afghan friends (girls) who have majored in EE and are currently working in Industry with well known companies.

Feroza_Banu
12-08-2010, 08:23 PM
mashallah im impressed feroza im even more impressed that you wasnt born and rasied there but you proved them all mashallah i know theres alot afghan males who are engineers but not women im proud of you as maths is very difficult in engineering and its required well its required in what im doing even which is biochemistry 3 cheers for feroza the engineer :celebrate:

thank you so much, i am humbled.

Biochemistry!... wow namekhuda. thats wonderful!, I am so happy to see so many motivated young ladies on this board....

these science subjects (math, chem, bio, physics) are not easy to tackle i know... may God bless you with success in your field... aameen.

Toramana
12-08-2010, 09:08 PM
If you want to go for a bachelor degree in Computer Science, that may be potentially a good choice. The initial two/three terms/semester may a bit math-heavy (calculus, linear algebra, analytical geometry, statistics, etc.) also with some physics (electricity and magnetism, electronics, more importantly). In later terms, you may be taught other maths-oriented courses (e.g. Discrete Maths, etc.) .

The other thing in Computer Science that is challenging is programming. Some students find it hard to master or even grasp its concept. Others pick the concept very quickly. And that really doesn't strictly depend on your mathematical background (although that may be helpful). That ONLY depends on your problem-solving ability.

You can avoid some mathematics courses in CS. That depends on how you choose your courses and the curriculum offered by the university. Some universities have CS programs that are more maths-heavy; some have less maths-heavy programs.

Then there are some tracks in CS that are more maths-heavy; some are less maths-heavy. Even there are tracks with less or almost no programming . Below is some guideline,

---Less maths/programming heavy

Database Administrator
System Engineer/Network Engineer
System Adminstrator
Data Modelor, Database Designer
Systems Analyst

-More programming heavy
Software Engineer
Computer Programmer
Developer

If you don't want to invest much time, you can go for diploma/certificate level courses focussing on a specific tool or narrow CS/IT domains e.g. offered at some community college. You can be hired as a technologist, programmer, network engineer, etc. depending on the skills you acquire and the concepts you learn...

As for grades, if you are an average student and submit your assignments in time and are able to solve some part of your assignment correctly, and write your exams/tests neatly and concisely, you can easily get 80+ (A- or A or 3.5 GPA) in individual courses. Most importantly, give your teacher the impression you are a serious student and are concerned about your work.

I have noticed female students are usually very good in completing their work in time compared to male students who generally are lazy and careless even if they are intelligent.

Hope this is bit helpful.

Toramana
12-08-2010, 09:42 PM
Toramana, wouldn't it better if someone just gets a degree in Pure math with a minor in CompSci?

Yes, absolutely...You can still become a very good computer programmer for example...With a graduate degree in maths, you can even go for a Ph. D. in Computer Science...

Laila
12-08-2010, 09:52 PM
A BS in Biological Sciences focuses about 2 years in Computer Science.

My first year in college, i had a lot of students from the Computer Science program with me in my prerequisite classes. Thats when i changed my major to a BS in Biology since i wanted a more focus on health science.

Majority of the guys in my extended family has studied Business or Computer Science, and naamekhoda, very talented and sharp boys. They all have really good jobs in Afghanistan with a high pay.

Feroza khorey, i give you a lot of props. I have never met a woman, let alone an Afghan/Pashtun woman who has studied Electrical Engineering......mashallah you have broken that ice. I only have one girl in my family that has studied Civil Engineering, and i am so proud of her :)

Sitaara
12-09-2010, 11:07 AM
If you want to go for a bachelor degree in Computer Science, that may be potentially a good choice. The initial two/three terms/semester may a bit math-heavy (calculus, linear algebra, analytical geometry, statistics, etc.) also with some physics (electricity and magnetism, electronics, more importantly). In later terms, you may be taught other maths-oriented courses (e.g. Discrete Maths, etc.) .

The other thing in Computer Science that is challenging is programming. Some students find it hard to master or even grasp its concept. Others pick the concept very quickly. And that really doesn't strictly depend on your mathematical background (although that may be helpful). That ONLY depends on your problem-solving ability.

You can avoid some mathematics courses in CS. That depends on how you choose your courses and the curriculum offered by the university. Some universities have CS programs that are more maths-heavy; some have less maths-heavy programs.

Then there are some tracks in CS that are more maths-heavy; some are less maths-heavy. Even there are tracks with less or almost no programming . Below is some guideline,

---Less maths/programming heavy

Database Administrator
System Engineer/Network Engineer
System Adminstrator
Data Modelor, Database Designer
Systems Analyst

-More programming heavy
Software Engineer
Computer Programmer
Developer

If you don't want to invest much time, you can go for diploma/certificate level courses focussing on a specific tool or narrow CS/IT domains e.g. offered at some community college. You can be hired as a technologist, programmer, network engineer, etc. depending on the skills you acquire and the concepts you learn...

As for grades, if you are an average student and submit your assignments in time and are able to solve some part of your assignment correctly, and write your exams/tests neatly and concisely, you can easily get 80+ (A- or A or 3.5 GPA) in individual courses. Most importantly, give your teacher the impression you are a serious student and are concerned about your work.

I have noticed female students are usually very good in completing their work in time compared to male students who generally are lazy and careless even if they are intelligent.

Hope this is bit helpful.
It's very helpful what you shared. Thanks for taking your time to answer.
Feroza khor,
Computer Science is a lot more than just programming. It has I believe 800 sub categories. Writing programs is just one path you can pursue with a CS degree. You can even be a Database administrator, an IT consultant, work for a Helpdesk for a major technological corporation or be a project manager for mobile operating systems. In fact, you can even work in the telecommunications industry.

Sitaara, don't let anyone discourage you. Take a basic CS course and see if you enjoy it. I will just warn you that it's a math intensive major. If you aren't good in Math, don't destroy your GPA by taking CS. It's also a pretty long major, which is just one of the reasons why it's in demand. :-)
Yes inshallah that is what i am going to do to take basic classes and see if it interest me.
choosing a major is very hard....especially for me. I thought I had it but I didn't.
Yes some people have hard time but some knows from childhood what they want to do.

Feroza_Banu
12-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Feroza khorey, i give you a lot of props. I have never met a woman, let alone an Afghan/Pashtun woman who has studied Electrical Engineering......mashallah you have broken that ice. I only have one girl in my family that has studied Civil Engineering, and i am so proud of her :)

Thank you thank you. its not that big of a deal, i just had to not have a life for about 5 years lol. its all about dedication, challenging majors need alot of time, patience, and dedication. one's life has to revolve around school and books.

Civil Engineering is a verrrry challenging major as welll. She deserves alot of acknowledgement for her accomplishment :)