View Full Version : Arab Pashtuns?

Shamaar
11-28-2010, 01:34 PM
I don't meant to cause a riot by starting this thread, but I have been wondering about this for a while.

Since to be a Pashtun one's father has to be a Pashtun, and his before him, and so forth, when someone says they are a Sayyid Pashtun, isn't that a contradiction of sorts? A Sayyid is a male who is a descendant of Hazrat Ali and Bibi Fatima.

It's not only Sayyids though, I've known a number of people from various places who call themselves Siddiqui Pashtuns (descendants of Hazrat Abu Bakr Al-Siddiq).

I am not one to be a harsh judge of who is or isn't a Pashtun, but since many people have brought it up here that one's father must be Pashtun in order for oneself to be Pashtun, I thought I'd get some opinions on it.

Laila
11-28-2010, 03:55 PM
Actual descendants, Sayyids......are *not* affilitated to being Pashtun, Tajik, etc. Afghan Sayyids are originally Arabs. That is, if they are Sayyids.

These Sayyids do not have Pashtun lineage, they have just assimilated themselves as Pashtuns, living in Pashtun communities

Dreamer
11-28-2010, 03:57 PM
1... any1 can say they are sayid.... quite another thing 2 actually proove u are decended from the prophet... many people claim this for the false belief that it will bring them prestige and to gain some sort of social superiority....
2 the ahle bayt and their decendents didnt get very far... most were killed and most made it as far only as syria

Laila
11-28-2010, 03:57 PM
According to Pashtunwali, and since we go by a patriarchial society, a Pashtun father bores Pashtun children. If your father is Pashtun, you are Pashtun by lineage; whether you speak Pashto or not (depending on your mother tongue).

abubaker
11-28-2010, 04:23 PM
pa pakhto wayalo sok pakhtun kidalai na shi

pakhtun hagha dai si ye kar di pakhtano wi

think its Abdurahman baba or hamza shinwarai not sure