View Full Version : Tajweed Lesson Two: Etiquettes of Quran Recitation

*Mahzala*
10-16-2010, 10:52 AM
Before going into the science of Tajweed and understanding the dues and rights of each individual letter which makes up the Glorious Quran, it is essential to understand the mannerisms required when reciting the Glorious Speech of the Almighty Creator. There is much etiquette one must observe and consider when making the intention to read any portion of the Quran. Among these, some are considered authentic, some innovations, some permissible and some not. They can be broadly categorised into the a) spiritual etiquette and b) physical etiquette.

The spiritual etiquette includes the following:

1) Ikhlaas:
One must recite the Quran with pure and sincere intentions, solely for Allah’s Pleasure. Before beginning one’s recitation, it is always a good idea to refresh and renew your intention between yourself and your Lord to avoid any unintentional or intentional reasons which may lead to riyaa (the act of doing something to seek someone’s praise on a worldly level) and eventually shirk (associating partners with the One and Only Creator). Though it may seem common sense, it is vital one does this according to the following Hadeeth:

Abu Hurayrah narrated that the Messenger of Allah said: The first man to be judged on the Day of Resurrection...is a man who learnt knowledge and taught it as well as recite the Quran. He will be brought forward and acquainted with his blessings and he will recognise them. He will say, "What did you do for them?" The man will say, "I learnt knowledge and taught it as well as recite the Quran for Your sake." He will say, "You lie, rather you learnt knowledge so it would be said, 'A scholar!' and you recited the Quran so it would be said, 'He is a recitor!' and it has already been said." Then an order will be given and he will be dragged upon his face until he is thrown into the Fire..." (Related by Muslim)

2) Contemplation:
One should, while reciting, take into consideration many ways of reflecting and contemplating the teachings, aims and wisdom behind the Glorious Speech. Through this, one is able to learn about His Lord, His characteristics, how to worship Him and how to distinguish between the righteous and misguided. The more one reflects on the Quran, the more his knowledge, foresight and practical applications in his daily life. This can be done in the following ways:

a. Understanding the origin of the words:
Attempting to research in which context the words were revealed.

b. Understanding that these words are not the words of man:
Developing a strong, spiritual connection with the One and Only Creator who taught man what he knew not and does everything for a reason that man knows not (Quran).

c. Presence of the heart while reciting:
Again, pure intentions are necessary. One should be mindful of avoiding commencing recitation where there are many distractions as cutting off the reading to talk to people or engage in other activities is not encouraged, rather prohibited.

d. Pondering over the meaning:
As Allah says in Surah Saad verse 29: This is a Book which we have sent down to you, full of blessings that they may ponder over its verses and that men of understanding may remember.

e. Individualisation:
The act of taking every Ayah personally, as though it was revealed to and for him and acting on the lawful and avoiding the illicit commands in the Quran.

The physical etiquette includes the following:

1) Purity of the body, clothes and place:
In Surah Al Waqiah, Allah says: Which none can touch but purified (79).One must be in a state of purity to hold/touch/recite the Quran. It is forbidden to recite the Quran memory or from a copy whilst in a state of janaabah (major ritual impurity such as suxual relations or wet dreams). It is permissible to recite (note, not touch) the Quran from memory in a state of minor ritual impurity such as answering the call of nature.

There is no authentic proof which establishes that menstruating women or women experiencing post-natal bleeding may not recite the Quran. As previously mentioned, while in a state of janaabah (as are these women), it is not permissible to touch the Quran. However, scholars agree on the fact that women who are revising portions of the Quran they have committed to memory are allowed to do so, and may hold the Quran, however with a barrier (such as a glove) in between.

2) Isti’adah and Basmalah:
As Allah says in Surah Nahl: So when you want to recite the Qur'n, seek refuge with Allh from Satan, the outcast (98). The isti’adah keeps Shaytaan at a distance so that one’s heart can be better focused on reflecting upon the text and its meaning. It is an established Sunnah to recite the isti’adah (first verse below) and basmalah (name given to the second verse below) before reciting any portion of the Quran except Surah Tawbah (Chapter nine).

أعوذُ بِاللّهِ مِنَ الشَيْطانَ الْرّجيمْ
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

3) Khush’oo – humbleness and crying:
This can be achieved by pondering over the meaning of the verses of warning and seeking protection from Allah, and over the verses of blessings, by thanking Allah.

4) Beautifying one’s voice and reading slowly:
Allah says in the Quran in Surah Muzammil: Or a little more; and recite the Qur'n in a clear and slow style. Reciting the Quran slowly and giving each letter its dues and rights according to the rules of Tajweed (which will be further discussed) allows for greater contemplation which is not achieved with hastiness.

5) Prophetic practice to prostrate at relevant verses:
It is highly recommended that the recitor or the one that listens (with intentions) prostrates at the fifteen (which are listed out in the appendix of every Quran copy) marked out verses in the Quran. You may leave a note or a message on the correct way of performing this if you are not aware. Below, please find the duas that should be recited during the prostration.

سَجَدَ وَجْهِيَ لِلَّذِي خَلَقَهُ، وَشَقَّ سَمْعَهُ وَبَصَرَهُ بِحَوْلِهِ وَقُوَّ تِهِ

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_QFzFRFZFxIw/TLmtBcD0wuI/AAAAAAAAAOk/KsO2tTGr73Y/s400/Dua.png (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_QFzFRFZFxIw/TLmtBcD0wuI/AAAAAAAAAOk/KsO2tTGr73Y/s1600/Dua.png)

Again, if you have any questions, suggestions or contributions, you are more than welcome to bring them forward. I hope this has been of benefit to you.

~Mahzala.

*Mahzala*
10-16-2010, 11:24 AM
That is very good to hear Shlombay. If you have any questions, be sure to ask. No question is too small.

InshaAllah, for the next lesson, I might need to organise some audio as we will be covering the makhraj of the letters, which at one point needs some clarification on the difference between the pronunciation of commonly confused letters. At this stage I am not sure how to do it, but as soon as I do, a lesson will be up InshaAllah.

*Mahzala*
10-16-2010, 12:00 PM
You're most welcome Jasmine. I am happy to hear that. Individualisation, the part that had the least handwriting in my notebook from my very own lessons. I will explain what I understand of it, but I look forward to your input too.

As we know, the Quran is not merely a book of knowledge or a book of commandments which are often misinterpreted. The Speech within it (as Allah says) is there to take hold of our character and bring us into a close relationship with the Speaker (May He be Exalted) Himself. Surely, by individualisation we do no mean that one should draw his own conclusions and interpretations of the Glorious verses to suit one's own interests. Rather, when reading the Quran, one should ponder over the messages wholeheartedly and take every ayah personally as though it were revealed for him alone. This way, not only are we drawn closer to Allah, we feel the need to act on every command within it and ultimately we strengthen our imaan, rectify our ill-conduct, renew our intentions and increase in knowledge. This result can only be achieved if one approaches this act of worship with a 'personal-study-relationship' as only then do we properly respond - bi idhnillah - to the rulings ordained within it.

*Mahzala*
10-17-2010, 03:33 AM
You're most welcome Nazo. I am pleased to hear that.

I would like to point out that although hayaa is a very important characteristic we should possess, Rasulullah SAW says we shouldn't exercise it at the expense of gaining knowledge. And so, in that case, Sheenkay,you should find a response via private messaging from me.

Baidariwal
10-22-2010, 12:19 PM
Excellent stuff, and looking forward for more ... but where is the first lesson? I couldn't find it.

Also a suggestion ... if you can make another new sticky thread and just put the links for each lesson as we go, because making each lesson a sticky will result in lots of threads being sticky, but its definetely something that needs to stay on top. This way it will be easier to find inshaAllah

*Mahzala*
10-24-2010, 09:49 AM
Excellent stuff, and looking forward for more ... but where is the first lesson? I couldn't find it.

Also a suggestion ... if you can make another new sticky thread and just put the links for each lesson as we go, because making each lesson a sticky will result in lots of threads being sticky, but its definetely something that needs to stay on top. This way it will be easier to find inshaAllah

Thank you for the suggestion, a good one too, and Shazadgey, thank you for providing the link. The idea is that these lessons (as I intend to share more during my holidays which start within six weeks) will have its own sub-section in the religion forum. I hope that helps InshaAllah.