View Full Version : Importance of a Computer Science Degree

Admin Khan
10-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Please join this great discipline. It will help us develop and shape our future.

History

Computer science was founded by mathematicians and physicists as a data processing science. Most computer science departments actually started out as mathematics or applied mathematics departments, primarily due to the mathematical foundations of computer science. Alan Turing, commonly considered the father of computer science, was a British mathematician who, in 1936 wrote a paper called "On Computable Numbers," in which he described a hypothetical device that presaged programmable computers--the Turing machine. It was designed to perform logical operations and could read, write and erase symbols on an infinite paper tape. The Turing machine was a finite state machine, and provided the foundation of modern computer science.Computer science is a relatively new discipline, originating from mathematics and physics departments. The degree is versatile, and allows for study of theoretical concepts as well as practical ones with a focus on engineering and software. Different kinds of degrees available, and achieving a degree creates opportunities for numerous career (http://www.ehow.com/careers/) paths.

Degree Types

The Bachelor of Science (B.S.) or Bachelor of Arts (http://www.ehow.com/arts/) (B.A.) degrees are undergraduate degrees granted to students who complete all the computer science requirements at their respective universities. The requirements differ greatly across schools, so be sure to check the specific requirements at your University. A Master of Science (or, alternately, a Master of Engineering) in computer science is a graduate degree, typically consisting of 30 credits of graduate level courses in computer science. However, some programs do require a Masters' thesis, which is a research paper written at the culmination of the program. Students enrolled in a Masters degree program may need to fulfill certain pre-requisites as part of their program, if they did not demonstrate proficiency in those subjects at the undergraduate level. The terminal degree in computer Science (http://www.ehow.com/about_5326816_importance-computer-science-degree.html#) is the Doctorate of Philosophy degree (PhD), which, in addition to advanced course requirements, culminates in a dissertation written about original research performed while in the program.

Research Fields and Specializations

Numerous research and specialization paths are available in the computer science field. The two basic breakdowns divide the discipline into theoretical computer science and engineering. Specialization in theoretical computer science includes fields such as artificial intelligence, natural language processing, combinatorics, number theory, graphy theory, quantum computing and other arcs focused on the theoretical aspects of the discipline. The engineering track in most computer science programs (http://www.ehow.com/about_5326816_importance-computer-science-degree.html#) concentrates on subjects such as operating systems, programming languages, network engineering, information security and software engineering. There are, of course, numerous overlaps, because most successful degrees involve theoretical and practical aspects of the discipline.Careers in Industry

A degree in computer science lends itself well to various occupations in industry. Graduates in computer science often find work as programmers, application developers, network and systems engineers, or security experts. They may work for technology companies or in other domains (http://www.ehow.com/about_5326816_importance-computer-science-degree.html#), such as investment banking, publishing or medical services because every major industry has a need for the development and support of a constantly evolving computer infrastructure.

Careers in Research and Academia

A Doctorate in computer science lends itself well to careers in academia and research. Most graduates will likely end up pursuing tenure-track faculty positions at major research universities, although some may opt for a professorship focused on teaching rather than research, and apply to jobs at small liberal arts schools. There are also opportunities for research outside of the university. Many engineering and mathematics think-tanks hire computer science graduates for cutting-edge research in developing technologies. Numerous government and Department of Defense jobs for computer scientists have academic expertise in security and cryptography.

Considerations
Although computer science is a separate and distinct discipline, it does have a foundation in mathematics, physics and engineering. Therefore, if you choose to pursue a degree in computer science, be sure that you are capable of completing all the required courses in those subjects.

Importance of a Computer Science Degree | eHow.com (http://www.ehow.com/about_5326816_importance-computer-science-degree.html#ixzz11ouMf7UJ) Importance of a Computer Science Degree | eHow.com (http://www.ehow.com/about_5326816_importance-computer-science-degree.html#ixzz11ouMf7UJ)

Talal
10-08-2010, 10:25 PM
I hated comp sic lotta jobs though but then again unless your an ambitious person your gonna end up working in some firm earning 60 grand a year for the rest of your life

Plus major disadvantage if your pursuing a career in comp sci in America and stuff, outsourcing is a b**ch

Admin Khan
10-08-2010, 10:57 PM
I hated comp sic lotta jobs though but then again unless your an ambitious person your gonna end up working in some firm earning 60 grand a year for the rest of your life

Plus major disadvantage if your pursuing a career in comp sci in America and stuff, outsourcing is a b**ch
Why do you hate Computer Science?

Which jobs pays better with a Bachelors? Do you have any clue how difficult a Bachelors in Computer Science is? have you taken a look at its curriculum? Many people lack the knowledge and intellect to major in Computer Science. You have to be a forward and fast thinker with great Mathematical skills.

Talal
10-08-2010, 11:38 PM
^ ya mate I know how hard it is cuz I'm in my fourth year of electrical and comp engineering..comp sci is my minor and most of my electives were comp sci courses

They don't look at how hard bachelors was for you, you start of with 40~600000 depending on how good and lucky you are.

Being a doctor is the only thing that pays right off the bat but that too is hard cuz it takes really long and getting into a med school is a nightmare..I don't plan on going into research, have an internship and will go for an MBA in two years time..There's a lot of growth room in that.

شمله ور خراساني
10-08-2010, 11:57 PM
Just a simple degree wont do the job for you. You need to improve your extra curricular skills and be on top of your game and know about all the ins and outs. Because IT is a fast pace industry. The minute you think you know something it is already "old news".

So I think if you are in IT you should read all the latest news and have very good connections with the most talented people. You can make lots of money.

A friend of mine who is in Afghanistan use to work for different companies and made allot fo money doing things he learned aside from this curriculum when he was studying computer science.

Admin Khan
10-08-2010, 11:57 PM
^ ya mate I know how hard it is cuz I'm in my fourth year of electrical and comp engineering..comp sci is my minor and most of my electives were comp sci courses

They don't look at how hard bachelors was for you, you start of with 40~600000 depending on how good and lucky you are.

Being a doctor is the only thing that pays right off the bat but that too is hard cuz it takes really long and getting into a med school is a nightmare..I don't plan on going into research, have an internship and will go for an MBA in two years time..There's a lot of growth room in that.
Computer Science is an extremely wide discipline. In fact, saying you are a Computer Science major is almost considered vague. Comp Engineering is a great option too, as long as we have educated people in good disciplines. All Majors are good but we need people in Computer Science because we are way far behind in technology.

Talal
10-09-2010, 12:13 AM
It depends on your orientation, you see technology I see business..comp science graduates are available round the world..They teach you same things in Pakistan/India/China as they do in western countries but it's cheap labour back home

unknownprince
10-09-2010, 12:21 AM
lots of Chinese and Indians get computer science degrees and open up their own companies. I remember looking at this business magazine a while ago, and all the top IT companies were owned and operated by Indians and Chines (some of the companies making 350 million in revenue).

Other people need to get into this :)

Admin Khan
10-09-2010, 12:28 AM
lots of Chinese and Indians get computer science degrees and open up their own companies. I remember looking at this business magazine a while ago, and all the top IT companies were owned and operated by Indians and Chines (some of the companies making 350 million in revenue).

Other people need to get into this :)
No. The top IT companies are not "owned" by Indians. They have a presence but many top IT companies are in the USA. For example, Apple, Google, Yahoo, eBay these are all in California.

Unknownprince, have you heard of Silicon Valley? Its the technological hub of the world. Facebook and many other companies are in California. California in a sense is the technological capital of the world.

Toramana
10-09-2010, 12:41 AM
Fundamentally, Computer Science deals with modeling or formally describing/represeting and implementing the reasoning process (may be called logic) that humans employ in decision making and problem-solving. Such a task requires manipulation of information in variety of format (audio, visual, textual, etc.) from a variety of sources (e.g., physical real time, abstract off-line). Computer Science also looks at how this information/knowledge can be stored and transmitted efficiently. It also invetigates how can this processing be made more efficient (efficient algos, efficient physical realization of the reasoning process e.g., through massive parallelization, nano-technology, quantom computing, etc.).

Its most ambitious goals are mimiking the cognitive, learning, and self-adjusting ability of humans in machines. As all human problem solving and decision-making (in every area) is based on information/knowledge processing, so the application-scope for Computer Science/IT is very very broad.

Admin Khan
10-09-2010, 12:48 AM
Just a simple degree wont do the job for you. You need to improve your extra curricular skills and be on top of your game and know about all the ins and outs. Because IT is a fast pace industry. The minute you think you know something it is already "old news".

So I think if you are in IT you should read all the latest news and have very good connections with the most talented people. You can make lots of money.

A friend of mine who is in Afghanistan use to work for different companies and made allot fo money doing things he learned aside from this curriculum when he was studying computer science.
Computer Science is different. I have many peers who have found $70K jobs with a simple Bachelors. Computer Science is an extremely broad field with endless possibilities. Not everyone can handle Computer Science, especially if someone is horrible with logic. Generally speaking, those who are into Computer Science have a passion to be "up to date" with the technological trends. Its not much of a problem at all. However, a degree in Computer Science is considered really prestigious considering the tough curriculum they have. Its a challenging and much competitive major. I for example visit 10 tech websites daily just to be up to date with the tech world. Not because I have too, but because I love too.

For those who reside in New York, NYU POLY is one of the best Universities in the world for Computer Science. It was previously only known as PolyTechnic University but recently it united with NYU and its now known as NYU Poly. Long story short, we need more Pashtuns in Computer Science. I understand its difficult and I will never force you to choose something you don't like but if possible, please go for it. A bachelors alone can help you land a good job. Many of my friends work for major technological companies, have landed on the job with just a Bachelors degrees. Just give a quick example, If you have a Computer Science degree, My company won't give you a tough time in your interview because they assume you know what you are talking about and that you have the knowledge already.

unknownprince
10-09-2010, 12:53 AM
No. The top IT companies are not "owned" by Indians. They have a presence but many top IT companies are in the USA. For example, Apple, Google, Yahoo, eBay these are all in California.

Unknownprince, have you heard of Silicon Valley? Its the technological hub of the world. Facebook and many other companies are in California. California in a sense is the technological capital of the world.

Admin Khan, yes I have heard of Silicon Valley. I guess I am mistaken. It was software companies. For some reason i link software developers to IT. manana for the correction.

JAMALUDEEN
10-09-2010, 01:50 AM
Admin Khan, i was made an offer for a computer science degree, but i chose something different. Maybe in the future, i might do it -- when i get time.

I have heard many are doing IT in Afghanistan already, isn't that enough? OR are you planning on having your own IT company over there? Because that will be awesome.

Admin Khan
10-10-2010, 12:46 AM
Admin Khan, i was made an offer for a computer science degree, but i chose something different. Maybe in the future, i might do it -- when i get time.

I have heard many are doing IT in Afghanistan already, isn't that enough? OR are you planning on having your own IT company over there? Because that will be awesome.
Chose what you like Jamaludeen. I want you to be in a field that you enjoy. Have you ever had an interest in Computer Science?

Talal
10-10-2010, 12:54 AM
man i was just thinking about this today, Admin u didnt believe me when i told u there is no scope for high paying jobs here..here's an example

This person my dad knows wanted to get some business cards printed, he usually hires these web solutions guys..they gave him a 1000 dollar quote for cards for him and his employees, while he was at our house i offered him to get the whole thing done for 600..I had six different designs for him today..and i paid 75 bucks to a guy in Pakistan to get them done and put 525 in my pocket

And the exact same thing can be done in-terms of apps and all..and that is the reason i dont see much money in comps sci

Admin Khan
10-10-2010, 01:37 AM
man i was just thinking about this today, Admin u didnt believe me when i told u there is no scope for high paying jobs here..here's an example

This person my dad knows wanted to get some business cards printed, he usually hires these web solutions guys..they gave him a 1000 dollar quote for cards for him and his employees, while he was at our house i offered him to get the whole thing done for 600..I had six different designs for him today..and i paid 75 bucks to a guy in Pakistan to get them done and put 525 in my pocket

And the exact same thing can be done in-terms of apps and all..and that is the reason i dont see much money in comps sci

Talal,

Let's put hustling to the side and think about the real world. Computer Science majors aside from being fast and forward thinkers, are trained in a way that employers in the IT world value them. There is so much you can do with Computer Science degree. The link below will offer you a better understanding.

CU CSCI Why Computer Science? (http://www.cs.colorado.edu/why/)

According to Money Magazine, Computer Software Engineering is the number 1 Job in the USA.

Computer Science is not easy Talal, in many Colleges, Its falls under the jurisprudence of Mathematics. It requires a lot of Math and logical thinking. But the degree itself is prestigious and highly valued because there is so much you can do with it vis-a-vis its competitors.

JAMALUDEEN
10-10-2010, 10:08 AM
Chose what you like Jamaludeen. I want you to be in a field that you enjoy. Have you ever had an interest in Computer Science?

Before i chose criminology, i really wanted to get into the computer science degree and i had the necessary prior courses done in order to get an offer for it. My first choice was Computer science as well, but i don't know man. I just didn't feel like doing it anymore, which is why i chose criminology (Second Choice) instead of that and i made the right decision because i am loving it.

LOL and i had been doing computers since i was like 12. I was the top in my computer classes as well in school like IT and Software Design and Development. One of my old mates is doing Software Engineering now, and most of my other mates are in Engineering (Civil, Computer, etc.) as well. It's good to do computer science if you are interested in solving mind boggling problems. I don't think i have the patience anymore. The good thing about it is that in the future, You're going to save lots of money in shampoo.

And I don't think, the IT industry is as good in Australia as over there, because over here it's very competitive. I know many people who have done the Computer Science degree, etc, and cannot find a decent job that they like, so instead they are doing some other office jobs totally unrelated to their degree. Hope you get what i mean.

Talal
10-10-2010, 04:33 PM
na see admin thats what your not getting, it aint hustlin its business and the way business is being done right now there is little room getting high paying jobs or even normal jobs for that matter and thats even more hard for comp sci graduates who have no work experience at all

Another example, my good friend who graduated with a 3.7 GPA as a comp sci major and is sitting home jobless for the previous four months..And your wrong on the math front, kids who come from countries like India/Pakistan/China own math..the stuff they teach you in like 3rd year university math courses kids do it over there in like Grade 8

just look up when high schools in US start teaching calculus, in Grade 12 ! and even that is like an introductory calculus whereas in Asian countries your done all that stuff by grade 10

Why were the Americans trying to get that anti-outsourcing law approved ? its cuz of the exact same reason

kandahari ella
10-11-2010, 04:10 AM
Admin is completely right. Computer Science is a challenging field. I have a couple of friends that are computer science majors and they sit there working on their labs for hours. Literally hours. I wouldn't have the patience for that. Period. My LSAT instructor was telling us that Computer Science and Philosophy majors do extremely well on the LSATS because their majors require them to study, and apply theories on their own instead of being "feed" a theory and applying that to everything. The economy is bad over all-- so yeah it might be a little difficult to find a wonderful job making 70-80k off the bat. But you add more to your skills and can find a job that'll pay you more than any other Bachelors degree would.