View Full Version : What is tethering?

Admin Khan
10-06-2010, 11:42 PM
http://0.tqn.com/d/mobileoffice/1/G/H/A/getty-epoxydude-76186759-195x200.jpg
"Tethering" is the use of your cell phone -- or other Internet-enabled mobile device -- as a modem for another device, usually a notebook or PDA. The connection is made either with a cable (USB or serial) or wirelessly through bluetooth (http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/bluetooth/g/bldef_bluetooth.htm) (or, in the good old days, via infrared or IrDA).

Tethering enables users to go online from their laptops or PDAs in situations where there's no other means of Internet access: when there's no wi-fi hotspot (http://mobileoffice.about.com/od/findingusinghotspots/g/hotspot.htm) around, for example, or your cable modem goes on the fritz, or you're on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere and need an online map quick ... you get the idea.
If you're already paying for data service on your cell phone and your cellular provider doesn't require any extra fees for using your cell phone as a modem for your laptop, tethering can also save you money, since you won't have to pay for separate mobile broadband service (http://mobileoffice.about.com/od/findingusinghotspots/a/mobile-broadband-options_3.htm) or buy additional hardware just to get your laptop connected.
You can also surf the web more securely using a tethered cell phone, because your information is being sent directly through the phone versus, for example, over a public open wireless hotspot.
You may also conserve some laptop battery power, because you can turn off wi-fi on your laptop while you use your tethered cellular modem.
Tethering Issues or Obstacles

Using your cell phone's data service for your laptop will, however, drain the phone's battery more quickly, especially if you're using bluetooth to connect. If you have a USB port on your laptop that can also charge devices, tethering via USB would be a better way to connect.
Also, keep in mind that the speed you get on a tethered device may not be as fast as you might expect even on the cell phone itself because the information has to take that extra step over the air or through the wire (USB connections will generally be faster than bluetooth). Even with 3G service on your handset, upload and download speeds will typically be less than 1 Mbps. If you're in an area not covered by mobile broadband, you'll likely get speeds only a few times faster than dial-up.
You also may not be able to use your voice service on the cell phone while it is tethered, depending on your particular phone and connection method.
The biggest obstacle, though, is just being able to tether your cell phone to your laptop at all. Each wireless carrier has a different set of rules and service plans for allowing tethering, and each cell phone device may have its own limitations. How to tether your cell phone will largely depend on your cell phone service provider and your cell phone model.

What Is Tethering? (http://mobileoffice.about.com/od/phonesformobileworkers/f/what-is-tethering.htm)

Admin Khan
10-06-2010, 11:44 PM
Some of the most easiest handsets to tether are RIM devices and Android devices. For example, the Google Nexus one newest operating system Android 2.2 also known as Froyo has a feature that enables the device to offer Wireless tethering. What that means is that your phone can offer connections to nearby WiFi capable devices such as a Laptop for free[you will be paying the carrier already for a Data plan].

Before attempting to tether your phone, make sure you find out if you actually have a unlimited data plan. Many carriers in the USA offer unlimited data plans but in Canada, its more scarce. If you don't have an unlimited data plan and you begin to tether, you might incur some very high overages. Some carriers charge an arm and a leg for MB overages.

JAMALUDEEN
10-06-2010, 11:54 PM
I haven't really done it, but it's possible with Jail broken iphones as well.

thanks for the info admin khan.

Admin Khan
10-06-2010, 11:57 PM
I haven't really done it, but it's possible with Jail broken iphones as well.

thanks for the info admin khan.

Yes it is. Its really a life-saver at times.

JAMALUDEEN
10-07-2010, 12:03 AM
The Internet plans in Australia, are for the lack of a better word "shiz". They are getting better now, i guess, but compared to America and other developed countries, we are way behind in technology.

You guys are pretty lucky.

Admin Khan
10-07-2010, 12:22 AM
Really?

Can you forward me to your carrier website please.

JAMALUDEEN
10-07-2010, 12:24 AM
I used to be with Optus before but i canceled my plan with them, now i am with TPG.

TPG.com.au.

JAMALUDEEN
10-07-2010, 12:45 AM
Shlombay, A few months ago, i was paying 70 bucks for 20 Gigs with Optus. lulz Now it's around 500 gigs for the same price but with TPG. I download atleast 200 gigs a month.

abubaker
10-07-2010, 02:10 AM
in 2008 this was the only way one could access the internet in Kabul apart from from the big companies who used to pay 300 dollars a month for satellite internet

Admin Khan
10-07-2010, 12:15 PM
Abubaker,
In England do you have unlimited Data plans?

abubaker
10-07-2010, 12:48 PM
salamuna

not that I am aware of

amna.
10-07-2010, 04:56 PM
I have a Blackberry laying around, I am going to try this out.

Talal
10-08-2010, 01:14 PM
windows 7 aint tetherin it, it was good while it lasted

hope a new hack comes along

Iphone 4 OS 4.0.1 Hack for tethering

Patch for Commcenter 4.0.1 3G/3GS/4G (1.1-3)by wortel (http://www.multiupload.com/E5Q62T1K2R)

*NOTE* As this requires SSH and command line, it is not for the inexperienced hacker. Please use caution! I am not responsible for any damage you do to the phone (although most mistakes should be fixable by a restore).

I was able to enable native tethering on my iPhone 4 running 4.0.1 on the US AT&T network. Facetime works, tethering works, I have not tested MMS yet but I assume it works, too. It was somewhat tricky to figure out, since there are so many partial instructions on the webz and I kinda suck at stuff like this. I'll try to list the steps here so others can follow.

1. Jailbreak your iPhone 4 on the jailbreak website.
2. Open Cydia and install OpenSSH. (Follow the instructions to change your root password!)
3. Download wortel's Patch for Commcenter 4.0.1 2G/3GS/4G 1.1-3 (the file listed above
4. Use Cyberduck or another SFTP client to log into your iPhone.
5. In the Directory /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreTelephony.framework/Support, Back up your CommCenter to your PC/Mac in case things go sour.
6. Browse to /var/tmp and upload the file ccp401_1.1-3_wortel.deb
7. SSH into your iPhone and run the patch by typing:
dpkg -i /var/tmp/ccp401_1.1-3_wortel.deb
8. Reboot your phone

Now we need to either edit your carrier.plist or replace it with the one below (for AT&T only).
here's the link to the carrier.plist file: Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites! (http://www.multiupload.com/2OXWAIQ594) (AGAIN AT&T only)

Two Options at this point (Editing or replacing with the above file):

Option 1 if replacing
9. Use cyberduck or another SFTP program to connect to your iPhone and browse to:
/var/mobile/Library/Carrier Bundle.bundle/
(the above should be a symlink to /System/Library/Carrier Bundes/ATT_US.bundle/)

10. Download your carrier.plist file from your iPhone and save a copy of this original file, just in case.

11. Upload the replacement carrier.plist file
12. On your iPhone, open Settings / General / Reset and reset your network settings.

or

Option 1 if editing
9. browse to /System/Library/Carrier Bundes/your_carrier.bundle/

10. Download your carrier.plist file from your iPhone and save a copy of this original file, just in case.

11. Open the downloaded carrier.plist in your favorite text editor

12. Under APNS->APN look for something with your carriers WAP settings. Change the type mask integer from 4 to 53 - which should change allowing MMS to MMS, data and tethering. A explanation of these numbers is here. (http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/9234/typemask.png) If this does not work, play around with the numbers until something works for your specific carrier.

13. save the file to a different location and replace the file on your phone.

14. On your iPhone, open Settings / General / Reset and reset your network settings.

Finally remember to turn on tethering in Settings->General->Network->Internet Tethering. You'll need to either connect your phone to your computer via USB or have it already paired via bluetooth. The latest version of itunes is also needed.

To ensure you keep facetime, make sure the following lines are in your carrier.plist file you are using:

*NOTE* Due to the nature on how Facetime works (sending a special SMS to the number below) it appears t-mobile (and supposedly other carriers) are not handling the SMS properly. Please let me know if this works for your specific carrier.

For AT&T Only:

<key>PhoneNumberRegistrationGatewayAddress</key>
<string>28818773</string>
For other carriers:

<key>PhoneNumberRegistrationGatewayAddress</key>
<string>00447786205094</string>
*Due to the way Facetime communicates with Apple, text message charges may appear for unsupported carriers

If your using a older IPCC file or custom carrier bundles keep note that for iphone4, carrier png files need to be double the resolution. All you have to do is make new logo's with a higher resolution and add @2x on the end of the filename.
Like this:

Default_FSO_CARRIER_BASE.png
Default_FSO_CARRIER_BASE@2x.png
FSO_CARRIER_BASE.png
FSO_CARRIER_BASE@2x.png

Talal
10-09-2010, 12:07 AM
Mines gonna be in thousands anyways courtesy my lil bro and his YouTube shenanigans

Talal
10-09-2010, 01:07 AM
^ na lol not that much .. But he went like 300 MB over my limit so I'm guessing it'll be pretty high

amna.
10-10-2010, 03:56 PM
Good luck Jaz.