View Full Version : How many of you guys can actually speak Pashto?

khansahab
03-06-2010, 08:09 PM
I can !! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Dukemina
03-07-2010, 01:15 AM
Wo, za hum!

*Mahzala*
03-07-2010, 02:50 AM
*raises hand*

Pakiboy, are you a Pakhtun? If you dont mind me asking.

Laila
03-07-2010, 02:53 AM
^ well then its good that you joined, you will learn plenty!

Laila
03-07-2010, 02:57 AM
ha ha well i am learning, and yes, it seems to be a hard language. Verb conjugation to me is actually quite tricky. The key is consistency, practice and practice. Sit down and talk with pashto speakers.....whenever i have the time, i sit with my father and talk to him in pashto.

Laila
03-07-2010, 03:01 AM
My fathers family are fluent in Pashto and Farsi.....they village that he is from, speak both languages. My mothers family are farsi speaking; however, more than half her family speaks Pashto. My moms family are not considered Pashtuns nor much of Tajiks either because her early generations are Arabs. I grew up speaking Farsi. Why you ask, hmm good question, because i dunno.

whatis
03-07-2010, 03:17 AM
My fathers family are fluent in Pashto and Farsi.....they village that he is from, speak both languages. My mothers family are farsi speaking; however, more than half her family speaks Pashto. My moms family are not considered Pashtuns nor much of Tajiks either because her early generations are Arabs. I grew up speaking Farsi. Why you ask, hmm good question, because i dunno.

i have faith in you, you will learn pukhto.

Master Khan
03-07-2010, 02:03 PM
My Family are all Pashtun
Even though I spend 15 years away from home but still my Mum and dad speak pashto with me.
Most of my cousins here in UK are speaking english with thier kids from the start...which annoys me but oh well...its their kids.

Master Khan
03-07-2010, 05:44 PM
^
what you mean there kids cmin.
you need to make sure Pashto is kept strong.

I don't really speak to them.
I told their Mum to speak Pashto but she is still speaking English with them.
its too late now, they are grow up and they can't speak pashto very well...I speak pashto with them..not english.

barbie
03-07-2010, 08:20 PM
^
I think you need to convince them how valuable pashto is.

Master Khan
03-08-2010, 11:22 AM
^
I think you need to convince them how valuable pashto is.

Preeda..they are idiots.
They don't want to go back home because they think its full of terrorist.
I never seen thier daughter wearing a scaf!!.
there older son is like 21 and youngest is 13 and they can't speak pashto.
They don't care about their culture and pashto.

Roshina
03-08-2010, 08:42 PM
I speak Pukhto, Urdu, English, some Spanish, and some Arabic (learning it now; planning to pursue it for higher studies, ka khairee). I practice speaking Arabic with friends at school; they refuse to speak with me in English, so I kinda have no choice but to learn it, lol.

Now, what's more important is ... how many of us know how to *read and write* our native language? For those of us who don't, I strongly encourage y'all to learn it. It's great to be able to speak it, but writing and reading it is even more important, because that's how we can guarantee its survival.

Latif
03-08-2010, 08:43 PM
I speak Pukhto, Urdu, English, some Spanish, and some Arabic (learning it now; planning to pursue it for higher studies, ka khairee). I practice speaking Arabic with friends at school; they refuse to speak with me in English, so I kinda have no choice but to learn it, lol.

Now, what's more important is ... how many of us know how to *read and write* our native language? For those of us who don't, I strongly encourage y'all to learn it. It's great to be able to speak it, but writing and reading it is even more important, because that's how we can guarantee its survival.

Can you read and write Pashto?

Roshina
03-08-2010, 08:51 PM
I sure can, Latif.

Latif
03-08-2010, 08:56 PM
I sure can, Latif.
You are an impressive lady. I think you have a bright future.

Master Khan
03-09-2010, 11:20 AM

I spend all my school life in Hong Kong and England so I didn't get to learn it.

Laila
03-09-2010, 12:59 PM
I am using Rosetta Stone, and i love how it teaches you to read and write in Pakhto.......if you ask me, its a great software to invest in :D

Laila
03-09-2010, 02:28 PM
Yeah i actually bought it. And its a good software.....i am going to buy more for other languages.

Master Khan
03-09-2010, 04:31 PM
what is this rosetta stone sounds useful to me

shinwari
03-09-2010, 04:54 PM
Yeah i actually bought it. And its a good software.....i am going to buy more for other languages.
ASL?

Lmao, You seem rich. That is an investment I must say. It shows a lot about your character and your dedication towards Pashto.

Laila
03-09-2010, 06:08 PM
what is this rosetta stone sounds useful to me

Rosetta Stone is a high language learning software. It is used for many professions and stuff.......Its cool because along with teaching you the language, it teaches you how to read and write the language. It also comes with a microphone to practice hearing and pronouncing the words.
ASL?

Lmao, You seem rich. That is an investment I must say. It shows a lot about your character and your dedication towards Pashto.

ha ha i seem rich? :P It sure is an investment, you are paying for something that has more value to your heart, knowledge, and culture :)

shinwari
03-09-2010, 06:19 PM
^ Very well said.

tor_khan
03-10-2010, 04:45 AM
My Family are all Pashtun
Most of my cousins here in UK are speaking english with thier kids from the start...which annoys me but oh well...its their kids.

Annoys you?

That's criminal and sadly, I'm related to people like that.

Levanaye Zalmaye
03-10-2010, 06:26 AM
I'm not extremely eloquent kho bia hum za pa pakhto ke khabar kawalaye shun...

Master Khan
03-10-2010, 07:26 AM
[quote="Master Khan":109kfasc]My Family are all Pashtun

Annoys you?

That's criminal and sadly, I'm related to people like that.[/quote:109kfasc]
Well when their kids grow up then their parents will know how stupid they were.

Shamaar
03-10-2010, 12:20 PM
My extended family is a little complex. Some speak Pashto, some speak Hindko, and now that we live in the West, many just speak English.

I on the other hand love languages. If I had time I'd even learn Farsi, Arabic, and Turkish but life is far too busy to permit that.

Master Khan
03-10-2010, 12:28 PM
I want to learn Arabic aswell.
My dad can speak Arabic because he spend like 11 years in Kuwait and Saudi Arabia.
You can easily learn the countries laugauge if you live there...parents should teach their their kids their mother laugauge.
My grandad was a police officer in Hong Kong and he could speak Chinese propaly.
I hope all the members here Teach their Kids pashto first.

pekhawar
03-10-2010, 01:29 PM
[quote="Master Khan":3l01pygp]My Family are all Pashtun

Annoys you?

That's criminal and sadly, I'm related to people like that.[/quote:3l01pygp]
Agreed shame on anyone who can't speak Pukhto.

btw what made you choose the name Tor Khan?

tor_khan
03-10-2010, 01:51 PM
[quote="Master Khan":2aq1e8ow]My Family are all Pashtun

Annoys you?

That's criminal and sadly, I'm related to people like that.
Agreed shame on anyone who can't speak Pukhto.

btw what made you choose the name Tor Khan?[/quote:2aq1e8ow]

Tor Khan ... follow the link to find out ... http://torkhan.blogspot.com/2009/02/blog-post.html

I think it has something to do with being a Dark Prince.

tor_khan
03-10-2010, 11:41 PM
If you can speak Pashto in my eyes =Pashtun.
If you cant speak Pashto and try to learn and catch up = Pashtun
If you cant speak pashto and dont care about = Dont you dare to call yourself a Pashtun.

Precisely. Thumbs up and well said.

Levanaye Zalmaye
03-11-2010, 06:02 AM
If you can speak Pashto in my eyes =Pashtun.
If you cant speak Pashto and try to learn and catch up = Pashtun
If you cant speak pashto and dont care about = Dont you dare to call yourself a Pashtun.

Fikar makawa, hagha khpal ta 'Pathan' waye.

zarghoona
03-11-2010, 10:47 AM
^ Arent Pathan and Pashtun the same thing?

Levanaye Zalmaye
03-11-2010, 08:41 PM
^ Arent Pathan and Pashtun the same thing?

"Pathan" is a name given to Pashtuns/Pakhtuns by outsiders. Moreover, all those people who claim Pashtun ancestry but neither speak the language nor adhere to the culture refer to themselves as "Pathans". A Pathan is, hence, a pseudo-Pashtun of sorts.

pekhawar
03-11-2010, 08:45 PM
^Millions of Pukhtuns in Pekhawar call themselves Pathan.

Venom
03-11-2010, 09:10 PM
Urdu,Hindi,German,Pashto,Pukhto.

Tunjo nalo chai? (Sindhi) A little.

Niazmina
03-15-2010, 08:28 PM
I can speak, read, and write Pakhto. Although I do have trouble with spelling at times because I never learned the language formally

Niazmina
03-15-2010, 09:32 PM
I can speak, read, and write Pakhto. Although I do have trouble with spelling at times because I never learned the language formally

Who taught you how to write? Were you raised in your province?
Well, we were in pekhawor for a while so I went to a Pakistani school, meaning I learned urdu there so it was easy for me to learn how to write Pakhto. My dad helped with the reading bit so I'm confident with the reading but still not 100% with the spelling.

Venom
03-15-2010, 09:36 PM
I can speak Pashto!

Niazmina
03-15-2010, 09:46 PM
I am impressed, nice.

How did they treat you in Pekhawar and be honest.

Ive heard bad stories about my people.
=]

---

pukhtana
03-15-2010, 09:47 PM
^I apologize on there behalf for treating you that way. Those are brainwashed Pashtuns.

Son of Mountains
03-16-2010, 05:23 AM
I can :) :evil:
A little......we lost it unfortunately 3 generations ago.....now i am the first in my family who is doing efforts to get it back........hoping for positivities

yassir
03-16-2010, 10:34 AM
^ we are willing to help you here.

Dinosaur Khan
03-16-2010, 05:06 PM
i cant speak pashto

p.s: i am lying

pir_Rokhan
03-16-2010, 07:35 PM
I would recommend afghanjirga.net

This is the site which has translation of books on various walks of life.It will help you to learn Pashto.

Farhan
03-19-2010, 08:12 AM
I understand everything now, I just need to improve my pronounciation. I really am thankful to the person who encouraged me to learn my language till the end.

Shawonkey
03-19-2010, 11:19 PM
Pashto is a vital part of the Pashtun identity without a doubt.

Pakhtunzai
03-26-2010, 01:35 PM
i only know a little bit of pakhto but im learning =D

Bonquiqui
05-01-2010, 02:27 PM
I'm fluent in Pukhto, Hindko, and Urdu. I have yet to learn "proper" Farsi. Though being a hybrid is hard work, it rocks.

Admin Khan
05-01-2010, 02:39 PM
How similar is Hindko to Pashto? I've heard it resembles Punjabi..

Bonquiqui
05-01-2010, 03:20 PM
Pukhto and Hindko are not similar. Although Hindko and Punjabi are closely related I'm not familiar with Punjabi at all. Supposedly, it is more complex than Hindko. And from what I know, native Hindko speakers prefer to be called "Hindkowan(s)" as opposed to Punjabi(s). I'm not sure whether it is because of a mixed Pukhto/Hindko speaking community in many areas of Pukhtoonkhwa like Kohat, some parts of Mardan etc. I guess they bond more with Pukhtoons? I'm not really familiar with the areas as I wasn't raised in Pukhtoonkhwa..this is just second-hand knowledge, I could be wrong.

Bonquiqui
05-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Hands down, if you can't speak Pukhto, you're not Pukhtoon. Just kidding.

Samima, as I said earlier, I'm not familiar with many of the details but since you asked..possibly yes, they could be referring to themselves as Pukhtoons. Mixed marriages among both communities could be a major reason behind this "pathan" claim and are actually becoming quite the norm (of course with the exception of those-on both sides-who strictly marry within their "own people"). My immediate and extended family includes all three of the following: native Pukhto, Farsi, and Hindko speakers. Majority of my family can speak all three languages. However! everyone likes to stick with what/who they are and don't fake being one or the other.

IamDZJ
05-01-2010, 07:07 PM
i always thought hindko and dari were alot similar to each other.

Bonquiqui
05-01-2010, 11:11 PM
No no, Dari is similar to Farsi (though I still don't know whether both are considered the same because there are some differences between the two). But Hindko and Dari are two different languages.

IamDZJ
05-01-2010, 11:23 PM
i used to watch some of the pashto dramas in pakistan. they played one or two hinko plays every once in a while..i don't know, may be i have it confused with something else.

Bonquiqui
05-01-2010, 11:58 PM
Word? I never knew Hindko plays even existed. I've seen quite a few Pukhto plays..mostly the comedy ones on Youtube.

IamDZJ
05-02-2010, 12:06 AM
yeah, PTV played a bunch of them.

Bonquiqui
05-02-2010, 12:19 AM
Oh thanks! I just realized Pekhawar dialect of Hindko is slightly different than the one spoken in that play.

I totally got sidetracked. The thread was about Pukhto, not Farsi or Hindko lol

Son of Mountains
05-02-2010, 03:37 AM
Come to the topic:
i can read and write pashto.
But my understanding and speaking ability is of basic level.
I am learning it since last 3 years but still know a bit due to lack of proper teacher and institution to teach it.

SWATIAN
05-02-2010, 05:21 AM
I can speak.
I can understand.
I can write.
I can read.

Pakhtunzai
05-02-2010, 05:29 AM
I can speak.
I can understand.
I can write.
I can read.

Masha allah..how about you spread some of your knowledge to some of us disadvantaged ones=D

S_khattak
05-02-2010, 05:40 AM
Can anyone on here speak the khattak dialectt??

tor_khan
05-02-2010, 11:31 AM
The latest Pashto Dars posted up (http://www.pashtunforums.com/showthread.php?p=20438#post20438).