View Full Version : Want to lose weight? Drink water

Admin Khan
08-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Could something as simple as a glass of water be the key to the nation's obesity epidemic? Well, probably not. But a new study has found that drinking a couple of glasses of water before meals can help people consume fewer calories.

There's long been a lot of folklore about water helping people lose weight. And previous studies have found that people who drink water regularly consume fewer calories during meals. But there's been suprisingly little actual good research on the subject,

So Brenda Davy of the Virginia Polytechnic Institute in Blackburg and colleagues decided to conduct what they say is the first well-designed study to actually show that wtaer consumption is a good weight-loss strategy. The researchers studied 48 adults ages 55 to 75. All of the subjects were asked to consume a low-calorie diet for 12 weeks, but half also drank two 8-ounce cups of water just before each meal.

After 12 weeks, those who drank the water lost about 15 1/2 pounds, compared to only 11 pounds for those who did not drink the water, Davy reported Tuesday at a meeting of the American Chemical Society being held in Boston.

The approach might work simply by filling people up with something that has zero calories, making them fill full and less likely to eat as much, Davy says. It could also prompt them to consume fewer sweetened drinks, which contain a lot of calories. A 12-ounce can of regular soda contains about 10 teaspoons of sugar.

Although it is possible to drink too much water, which can lead to a rare but serious condition known as water intoxication, water is basically very safe -- certainly safer than being overweight.

shehram
08-25-2010, 10:51 PM
ohhh very nice yar I always drink after meal
Now I ll start to drink be4 meal Fairoza ta ham da Khorak na makhke ooba skha
ta kho ham da shpetho ye kana a ahahahahah

Roshina
08-26-2010, 10:54 AM
Yeah. It's such a simple thing to do, and yet it's so difficult for many of us :S Drinking water makes you full, and so you don't end up eating as much as you would otherwise. If you drink water regularly throughout the day, you will be full throughout the day and won't have to eat so much.

Besides, water has a gazillion of other benefits as well, including its tendency to prevent headaches, reducing any risk of several diseases and infections (including heart disease, cancer, and kidney infections), relieving stress, and making you feel good in general.

Laila
08-26-2010, 04:16 PM
Its good to drink one cup of water before your meal. And one cup of water after your meal. What it does when you drink water before your meal, you get fuller faster, so you dont eat as much. And i guess drinking another cup afterwards helps with the process (not sure how to explain it).

شمله ور خراساني
08-26-2010, 05:01 PM
this theory is false. Because drinking water will not kill your desire to eat. If you have a large stomach, then drinking water will only increase its size.

A large stomach is not good. Because your desire for food will not vanish.

Catya Sher
08-26-2010, 05:29 PM
You guys!
America is brainwashed entirely to count calories and cringe at high totals.
This all is ABSURD!

Overweightness is not caused by caloric overindulging. It's WHAT is the food eaten and is it right for the individual?

Then: WHICH foods are eaten together with which food.
This is the Science called Food Combining. Complex to explain here but simply you don't want to mix the wrong things because that leads to toxins being formed which stay in the system.
THOSE are the REAL cause of overweight.
To get rid of them takes a LOT of discipline.
Few people are willing to work that hard.
So book after book, theory after theory are promulgated to cash in on the diet craze - AND to divert the average American's attention onto minor points.

Almost no books and no theories reveal the big picture.

Water drinking has little effect on weight loss.
But IF purified, of course, it's a great idea. [A thousand times better than soda pop to drink, no matter what!]

The only tangential way that water helps weight to leave is that it dissolves a little bit of those toxins which are the REAL culprits in stubbornly keeping pounds on.

However, both thin people and overweight people STILL have to do the internal cleansing to get rid of those poisons that build up over one's life, no matter where you live - even Hunza, Land of Longevity!
No one wants to hear this, though, because it's not a quick and easy solution.

[If anyone should be interested, I would be happy to give explanations.]

BehavedMaseed
08-26-2010, 07:52 PM
Water is not the option to loose weight.

Too much water can cause Problems to the individuals brain by overloading it and can cause retention.

A daily diet of healthy protein and vegtables and fruiets will a proven way to loose weight.

BLS_1919v2.0
08-27-2010, 12:18 AM
Guys and gals water is neccessary...no one is saying revolve your diet around water..but drinking a sufficient amount goes a long long way.

Catya Sher it is partially what you eat but also there is a cardinal rule...calories in vs calories burned. You can`t lose weight if you don`t burn more calories than you eat. However I will give to you, these over obsessive diets don`t help either. Exercise, clean diet and some will power go a long long way.

IamDZJ
08-27-2010, 12:25 AM
water is good for the brain and the skin but it will not help you lose fat. it retains fat.

IamDZJ
08-27-2010, 12:43 AM
na

Catya Sher
08-27-2010, 12:57 AM
BLS - Yes. But there's the question about whether people wishing to lose weight care about actual poundage or their appearance.
Scales can say one thing but it's how the person feels they look like they lost weight too.
Some of the really bad diets make the dieter eat nothing but protein for example, which makes them shed actual pounds quickly. But it's mostly water loss, which returns back as soon as their diet is completed.

So I think there's too much focus on number of pounds lost, which can be a function of the calorie intake versus burning.

The best idea is never follow any popular fads anywhere anytime. Get out of the mass consciousness which creates pressure to count calories for example. Instead just be healthy and most of all, VERY disciplined. One should never find chocolate, creamy or goopy foods or much sugar as appealing. Just say no, even if it bothers a host. It's YOUR health, after all, and if the host cares about you, he or she will be gracious and not press you to eat.

Instead, choose some other healthier dish on the table and rave about that to divert their attention and soothe over any bad feelings that you are a lousy guest!
This strategy could work better in the West, I realize.
Yes, it all revolves around having the fortitude and confidence to say no and not fear what people will complain about you.
Your health is a thousand times more important over the long run...

Shlombay, I am glad to talk about the big picture mentioned earlier. Should it be on a different thread, because maybe people want to discuss the water angle here?!

spogmai shaglay
08-27-2010, 02:01 PM
drinking water before taking meal definitely allows you to eat less....but that isnt the solution.....

and only drinking water is not alone going to give results to the one who is following a weight loss programm...

but drinking a lot of water accompanied by a good healthy and balanced diet and also moderate workout helps to lose weight....

only crash diets (low carb, no carb...like Atkins), high protein diets only, wont help to lose......

only workout wont lead to use wait as we tend to eat more when we do a lot of workout, a diet control is required and yes drinking a lot of water which definitely helps to lose wait faster......as its clears all toxins from the body.......

its matter of quantity and quality of food that you eat...also counting the number of calories you consume helps.....consume less than required calories per day then what is required.....which and eating small quantities at small intervals which in-voluntarily burns calories while the food is being digested....by consuing small amount of food and small intervals ensure that the digestive system is at work all the time....which also burns calories...

so we lose weight by consuming less calories (not compromising on the required nutrients), eating at small intervals and as moderate work out.....

and i write this by experience....as i have followed every stupid diet that came my way.......and also how senseless i was to follow them.....

only the one mentioned above helped me....

amna.
08-27-2010, 03:24 PM
Spogmai have you ever worked out?

Saifullah
08-27-2010, 03:26 PM
Exercise with a balanced diet is the way to long term weight loss...key is long term!! You wont get slim in a few weeks..but maybe after a month or so you will see gradual weight loss with consistent exercise

BLS_1919v2.0
08-27-2010, 09:03 PM
If women begin squats and push ups I ca guaranty weight loss.

I can use Iqra as an example. She lost 15 pounds in a month.
Both are great core exercises.

spogmai shaglay
08-28-2010, 01:26 PM
Spogmai have you ever worked out?

yes amna i workout regularly......i got to the gym for a few months and when i get bored of it i start brisk walk for sometime and then i again hit back the gym....i have done all sorts of workouts from aerobics to cardio to lifting weights and so on..... but Ramzan i am clear... no workout for me..

but initially i use to just work out and never it didnt show any results... then at times i just followed some diets but i use to lose but again bounce back....

then i started with a good balance between a healthy, nutritious and balanced diet along with moderate workout and it showed results......

i definitely one can lose weight instantly....if u lose fast u tend to put on fast.....gradual weight loss is the best.....one to set a goal to lose around 2 kg per month which is absolutely fine...

Iqra
08-28-2010, 01:42 PM
This is the Science called Food Combining. Complex to explain here but simply you don't want to mix the wrong things because that leads to toxins being formed which stay in the system.
THOSE are the REAL cause of overweight.
To get rid of them takes a LOT of discipline.
Few people are willing to work that hard.
So book after book, theory after theory are promulgated to cash in on the diet craze - AND to divert the average American's attention onto minor points.

I've heard a bit about food combining...it'd be a change from the regular Afghan diet...hehe

I believe you're opening up another thread on food combining (maybe not), but are there any books that you'd suggest on the subject? I've been meaning to pick up something, but yeah :|

One should never find chocolate, creamy or goopy foods or much sugar as appealing. Just say no, even if it bothers a host. It's YOUR health, after all, and if the host cares about you, he or she will be gracious and not press you to eat.

What if you are the host yourself :shy:

If women begin squats and push ups I ca guaranty weight loss.

I can use Iqra as an example. She lost 15 pounds in a month.

* :wub:

Saifullah
08-28-2010, 01:46 PM
25 pounds u lost??? In a month, that is a lot...wat were u doing? Starving yourself..lol

Iqra
08-28-2010, 01:49 PM
Lol aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ....roza mih dah....shlombayyyyy daghasi khabari makawa, kane zma ham takat nakehzi.

@ saif, why does it matter? are you looking to loose weight?

spogmai shaglay
08-28-2010, 01:50 PM
Iqra...it good to know that u have lost so much of weight....but be a littl eeasy on yourself...losing too much in a short period will lead the weight bouncing back with the same speed with which u lost....i am not at all demotivating you....just asking u to be a little carefullll...........

knowing that u have lost so much of weight..i can say that u are a fighter...it takes a lot to do so much to lose weight and its not everybody's cup of tea....but u did it..great....i am proud of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Iqra
08-28-2010, 01:51 PM
oh gosh ...shlombay :fighting:

Spogmai ... ma maskhareh kawale ..but then I felt guilty bec it's roza anddd yeah :|

Thanks anyway, I don't deserve credit of being a fighter or anything like that =)

Saifullah
08-28-2010, 02:28 PM
Lol aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ....roza mih dah....shlombayyyyy daghasi khabari makawa, kane zma ham takat nakehzi.

@ saif, why does it matter? are you looking to loose weight?

Yea i can feel my belly getting a bit bigger since i started studyin medicine, before that i would play 4 hours of football a day and had a flat stomach...

I think if i follow your diet it might make me gain weight...

amna.
08-28-2010, 10:54 PM
If you want to lose weight join the local gym or do a lot of Ashpazi.

What is Ashpazai?

Saifullah
08-28-2010, 10:57 PM
Ashpaz-cook
So Ashpazi cooking

Iqra
08-28-2010, 10:58 PM
If you want to lose weight join the local gym or do a lot of Ashpazi.

True, most of the time when a person cooks they tend to lose their appetite.

What is Ashpazai?

Ashpazi = cooking

amna.
08-28-2010, 11:08 PM
You call it Ashpazai as well Iqra?

Iqra
08-28-2010, 11:09 PM
^ yes :)

amna.
08-28-2010, 11:51 PM
My tip in losing weight Iqra is waking up at 7am and walking a mile.

Sheenka
08-29-2010, 12:32 PM
what if a skinny person drinks lots of water will they lose weigh?

Saifullah
08-29-2010, 12:37 PM
They would if they dont eat anything

Catya Sher
08-29-2010, 03:15 PM
No water and oil don't mix, so that is not probably a likelihood.

But water is needed by every cell. So the more water the better, to help those cells function better.

It can't dissolve fat, though. Just helps wash it away once already dissolved.

Iqra, yes, I am thinking about starting a thread on some of the finer points of health which tie into weight loss and MORE important, how to prevent illness from ever beginning. It's complex topic, so I'm in the thinking stage.

I DO have a good recommendation for a book on Food Combining, glad you asked. I will get it for you.

If you are the host, then serve your guests simple food without sauces, which are the killers!
They will thank you eternally, not just at that moment because of tasty food.

When they gain weight or feel draggy as a result of a heavy meal, they might be resentful rather than grateful, so it is a wise LONG-Term strategy of being a truly successful hostess.

king-zazai
08-30-2010, 05:06 AM
lose weight da islaimc way fasting ;)

spogmai shaglay
08-30-2010, 02:15 PM
Fasting in ramzan should be never taken as a diet to lose weight.......also one shouldn't over eat especially fried stuff which people really tend to.....

Iqra
08-30-2010, 02:49 PM
My tip in losing weight Iqra is waking up at 7am and walking a mile.

Lol ... I'll keep that in mind :|

No water and oil don't mix, so that is not probably a likelihood.

But water is needed by every cell. So the more water the better, to help those cells function better.

It can't dissolve fat, though. Just helps wash it away once already dissolved.

Iqra, yes, I am thinking about starting a thread on some of the finer points of health which tie into weight loss and MORE important, how to prevent illness from ever beginning. It's complex topic, so I'm in the thinking stage.

I DO have a good recommendation for a book on Food Combining, glad you asked. I will get it for you.

If you are the host, then serve your guests simple food without sauces, which are the killers!
They will thank you eternally, not just at that moment because of tasty food.

When they gain weight or feel draggy as a result of a heavy meal, they might be resentful rather than grateful, so it is a wise LONG-Term strategy of being a truly successful hostess.

It could be pretty complex and overwhelming, but kinda interesting lol... and thanks for the book recommendation =) I really should start looking through some articles beforehand InshaAllah.

LOL @ host, I've been misunderstood. I meant the host for myself ;)

But yeah, simple food is a good thing... but I guess when some people have guests they'd like to give them anything they're able to cook decently, lol.

Fasting in ramzan should be never taken as a diet to lose weight.......also one shouldn't over eat especially fried stuff which people really tend to.....

mhm... maybe he meant outside of Ramadan?

king-zazai
09-01-2010, 02:27 PM
So Zazaya you want all the women to starve for the rest of there lives???

noo by fasting you eat less and get reward AND lose weight what more do u want hehe and with no money spent!!!

pukhtana
09-01-2010, 05:43 PM
Doing crunches helps a lot