View Full Version : Pashto proposed compulsory subject from 1 to 10 grade in Pakhtunkhwa

pir_Rokhan
08-23-2010, 04:00 AM
There are news that Pashto has been added as a compulsory subject from grade 1 to 10th in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.

What are the implications of this decision?

Son of Mountains
08-23-2010, 04:46 AM
thanks God, goooooooood news

at least 1 objection of Afghankhwa friends will be eliminated that Pakistan does not allow pashto in schools

spogmai shaglay
08-23-2010, 05:05 AM
Indeed a big reason to celebrate if the news is correct. I would also want to know from when is it going to be implemented?

Levanaye Zalmaye
08-23-2010, 05:22 AM
What about the Pashtuns of south Pashtunkhwa, Attock and Karachi? In any case, let's see when it will be implemented. It's a positive step.

KP govt plans Pashto as compulsory subject in schools
By: Farzana Shah | Published: August 22, 2010

PESHAWAR – The government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa has decided to make Pashto a compulsory subject to be taught in schools from the class one to matriculation.
In this regard, a summary has been sent to the Chief Minister Amir Haider Hoti by education department, which will be implemented from the next academic year in all the educational institutes of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
In the history of Pakistan it is or the first time that Pashto is going to be a compulsory subject in syllabus to be taught in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa schools including non-Pashto districts DI Khan, Abbottabad, Haripur, Mansehra and entire Hazara division. Earlier, it was being taught as elective subject at college and university level.
An official in the provincial education department on anonymity said the step is a ploy by the provincial government to induct its blue-eyed party members into the education department. ‘There is hardly a noticeable number of teachers and persons who have command of the language. The few Pashto scholars are unlikely to teach the language at school level hence it’s clear that ANP is trying to induct as many of its party members as it can (in thousands) in KP schools ‘, the official added.
An official of the provincial government told TheNation that the decision had been taken after requests from members of the provincial assembly who are of the view that teaching Pashto as compulsory subject in the province was in line with the wishes of the majority Pashto speaking population.
The decision is feared to trigger another ethnic tug-of-war between people of the province as had been witnessed during renaming of the province sometimes back. It is pertinent to mention here that there is a large population of non-Pashto speaking people in the province who were feeling subjugated over renaming the province.
Hazara division, which is one of the most strategically important parts of Pakistan that falls into Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province is already bracing for separate province over renaming issue. Now imposing Pashto as compulsory subject over the entire population that includes Non-Pashto speakers is going to create more tension which could lead to massive riots in flood-hit province. People of these areas also see this step as political victimisation of non-Pashto speaking students who could be targeted by ethnic Pakhtun teachers.

Hi, I am the Source (http://www.nation.com.pk/pakistan-news-newspaper-daily-english-online/Regional/22-Aug-2010/KP-govt-plans-Pashto-as-compulsory-subject-in-schools)

BLS_1919v2.0
08-23-2010, 05:47 AM
What about the Pashtuns of south Pashtunkhwa, Attock and Karachi? In any case, let's see when it will be implemented. It's a positive step.

KP govt plans Pashto as compulsory subject in schools
By: Farzana Shah | Published: August 22, 2010

Hi, I am the Source (http://www.nation.com.pk/pakistan-news-newspaper-daily-english-online/Regional/22-Aug-2010/KP-govt-plans-Pashto-as-compulsory-subject-in-schools)

It is good that they are going to put those people into work. The way I see it, it is win win. You get pashto being taught in the school system and pashto paal in the bureacracy of the province. I love how all these tug of wars become present when Pashtunkhwa makes changes, however in other areas they do not even mention it lolzz.

pir_Rokhan
08-23-2010, 01:43 PM
I think the future of both the name Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and this decision of Pashto as a subject in schools are in doldrums if there is a martial law in the October 2010 which is being planned now by army ,establishment ,MQM and Pakistani media specially GEO tv.

tor_khan
08-23-2010, 01:44 PM
^ Here we go again ...

PFgulalai
08-23-2010, 09:08 PM
I think the future of both the name Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and this decision of Pashto as a subject in schools are in doldrums if there is a martial law in the October 2010 which is being planned now by army ,establishment ,MQM and Pakistani media specially GEO tv.

Yeah, Altaf Bhai just called his "patriotic [army] bhai" two days ago to intervene in the politics and take over the country. The media (GEO) is also glorifying Pakistani Army in the floods more than anybody else since day one.

@topic: Finally, a great step. It's the best way to promote our language and to stop it from becoming another extinct language. Majority of the Pashtun youth do not know how to write and read Pashto. Good that they made is compulsory and not some elective subject. If Pashto was taught in my English-medium school, I would have chosen it rather than Arabic. But at home, my parents made it compulsory to read and write Pashto.
An uproar from the Hindo-speaking community is quite inevitable.

شمله ور خراساني
08-23-2010, 09:19 PM
in every place where pashtuns are the absolute majority, the whole school curriculum must be in Pashto. This is not more than reasonable. Its common sense.

Why should people learn in Urdu or Farsi in their own village? Of course they can learn Urdu or Farsi and English or Arabic. But the curriculum should be in Pashto.

Similarly, in areas where Tajiks or Shaari (pashai'i) and Nuristanis are absolute majority, curriculum should be in their respective language.

Everyone should be entitled to go to school and get educated in their mother tongue!

One of the reasons why I wish Taliban to return, is that if they are back, school curriculum will be in Pashto again.

Yousafzai Pakhtun
08-24-2010, 12:33 AM
The curriculam has already been revised/changed.....They are heading in the right direction....Now let's see what is the reaction of so called modern pakhtuns+hindkyan/kharyan?

Yousafzai Pakhtun
08-24-2010, 01:20 AM
Yea lessons regarding Ahmad shah baba, Bacha khan, Ghani Khan, Khushal Baba, Hamza baba etc has been added....revolutionary poem of great poets like Ajmal Khattak, Qalandar Momand are also there in the new developed Textbooks.....I have posted some of these poems here ....

BLS_1919v2.0
08-24-2010, 01:41 AM
The curriculam has already been revised/changed.....They are heading in the right direction....Now let's see what is the reaction of so called modern pakhtuns+hindkyan/kharyan?

Maaddern pakhtaana laka nighat orakzai makhkae pa pashtunkhwa num qrrathae kawall da dyuu ba dagha qrrathae dii. Laka senga che amir muqam ba da pashtano par ziddh woo...this has always been their way. Khpl khabarae ba kaoo. Kho this is (like sangar said) common sense. Pashtun majority areas should have pashtun being taught...and in case of some minorities they should have the right of third language (the right to learn hindko, kohistani, etc)...it is their right as well.

Yousafzai Pakhtun
08-24-2010, 01:52 AM
I think these minorities (especially Hindko speakers) are only against Pakhto..they didn't want Hindko/ Kohistani etc to be taught in their areas infact they are happy with Urdu....so i think it won't affect them at all....khwakha ba da dvee wee ka' sok pukhto zda kawal ghwari au ka' na....

BLS_1919v2.0
08-24-2010, 01:53 AM
I think these minorities (especially Hindko speakers) are only against Pakhto..they didn't want Hindko/ Kohistani etc to be taught in their areas infact they are happy with Urdu....so i think it won't affect them at all....khwakha ba da dvee wee ka' sok pukhto zda kawal ghwari au ka' na....

Nu saiba daa yaw lewanthob dae..dae kae kass tsa nashe waelaa. We will be taught pashto, and urdu is already being taught if not being bombarded on us daily with bollywood and cable.

Nokia_Apridy
08-24-2010, 01:55 AM
Text book ya chap shey di ? YP

Yousafzai Pakhtun
08-24-2010, 01:58 AM
Text book ya chap shey di ? YP

Yea they are passing through developing process....material have been gathered from different authors/poets ...meetings are held in which these Textbooks are thoroughly discussed by various pakhto scholars...InshaAllah der zar ba staso makhey ta yee...

Michin Khel
08-24-2010, 01:59 AM
I had voted for ANP, i am not not disappointed so for from them.