View Full Version : Pakistan acid victims

Palwasha
04-13-2010, 09:16 PM
Hate these stories :cryy:

Pakistan acid victims rebuild ruined lives

At four years old, Gul-e-Mehtab already knows what she wants to do when she grows up.

This little girl, whose name means "moonlight flower", wants to be a doctor in order to heal her own mother, Manzoor Attiqa.

"She says: 'Mama when I grow up, I will become a doctor. I will treat you, and then you will be perfect'," Manzoor says, with a proud smile.

Twenty-two-year-old Manzoor is a patient in surgical ward 10 in Benazir Bhutto hospital in the Pakistani city of Rawalpindi.

The ward is a cluster of women in brightly coloured shawls, who share the same scars and the same trauma. All have been attacked with acid.

There are no reliable national statistics, but campaigners estimate that there may be as many as 150 victims every year.

It is an intimate crime - often carried out in the family home, by husbands or in-laws.

Manzoor's attack followed a row over doing the dishes.

"It was seven o'clock in the morning, and I had just finished making breakfast," she says.

"My daughter was crying so I picked her up, but her grandmother said: 'Leave her and wash the dishes.' I told her that I would wash them, and that we had the whole day ahead of us. After this, they started beating me. I was unconscious for four or five days. I woke up in hospital in Lahore."

While she lay unconscious, Manzoor was drenched in acid. It devoured her lower lip, neck and shoulders and left her chin fused to her chest.
But when she speaks of the in-laws she blames for the attack, there is no bitterness. In spite of her injuries, and her suffering, she says that she has forgiven them.

"They are like my own mother and sisters," she says. "I just pray God shows them the right path, so they can't do this kind of thing to anybody else. I forgave them, so that they could realise they did wrong."

The rest of the story...BBC.. (http://rld/south_asia/8609512.stm)

Talal
04-13-2010, 09:27 PM
These kind of barbaric acts have to be stopped, culture is the main culprit which has empowered men to an extent where they have literally lost sight of the teaching of Islam. I posted a thread here about how taliban burned of the nose of girl who refused to marry, later that day i was reading a report on how an indian sacrficed all his daughters as an offering to some god.

The only thing that connects all three are imprints that the culutre has left on these three separate societies

Master Khan
04-15-2010, 03:07 PM
These people should die in a painful way for doing these horrible things, they are not humans.

Zari
04-15-2010, 03:16 PM
that almost made me cry......:(....i soo agree only uneducated and inhumane ppl would do that......