View Full Version : India unveils $30 laptop

KhalsaWarrior
07-23-2010, 06:26 AM
I saw the pics on TV and though the product looks more like a iPad or a tablet PC rather than a laptop, it remains to be seen how well the product will perform in the market. But a basic level a functional $30 laptop/computer can work wonder for poor regions where lack of means to an education is a major problem.

India unveils $30 laptop (http://in.news.yahoo.com/43/20100722/812/tnl-india-unveils-30-laptop_1.html)

Thu, Jul 22 07:55 PM

New Delhi, July 22 (IANS) India Thursday unveiled a Rs.1,500 (around $30) laptop designed specifically for students.
'If more companies decide to manufacture a similar device, prices will come down automatically,' Human Resource Development Minister Kapil Sibal said after unveiling the low cost-access-cum computing device here.
The device would be made available to students in 2011.

When the ministry floated the concept of a low cost laptop some years ago, officials said it would cost Rs.500 ($10). It will now cost about three times the initial projections.

The ministry expects the prices to drop to Rs.1,000 ($20) and reach Rs.500($10) as innovations are introduced.
The device, no bigger than a conventional laptop, is a single unit system with a touch screen and a built in key board along with a 2 GB RAM memory, wi-fi connectivity, USB port and powered by a 2-watt system to suit poor power supply areas.

'This is real and tangible and we will take it forward. Sun will rise for the Indian students in 2011,' he said.
The ministry also invited private players to produce similar low cost computers.

'When we started the project, the response from the private sector was lukewarm. Now many are willing to join the innovation,' Sibal said.

The ministry started its efforts by holding discussions on this concept with a group of experts at the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, IIT Kanpur, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Madras and IIT Bombay, a ministry official said.
The low cost laptops will be distributed in institutions by the HRD ministry. The final price will depend on the transportation cost.

'We will give some subsidy on the device. As far as transport is concerned, if the transport cost in less, the government can bear that as well,' Sibal added.

Toramana
07-23-2010, 11:00 AM
khair aya nu, KhalasaWarrior...How can I get one like this?

KhalsaWarrior
07-23-2010, 11:34 AM
khair aya nu, KhalasaWarrior...How can I get one like this?

Toramana, I believe they plan to launch it sometime next year. We will just have to wait for the launch. I have a hunch, post production costs might actually push the price to $35/40. But even at that price, it will be a steal.

Toramana
07-23-2010, 12:07 PM
Thanks KW...wish we get it soon.

amna.
07-23-2010, 02:40 PM
2GB ram and WiFi? That is amazing Khlasa how an they afford to sell it for so heap?

єѕαρχαι
07-23-2010, 03:34 PM
so indian technology is even cheaper than the chinese one

KhalsaWarrior
07-23-2010, 04:33 PM
2GB ram and WiFi? That is amazing Khlasa how an they afford to sell it for so heap?

No idea Amna. Finding cheaper solutions has been Indian industry's trump card in recent years. I am sure you'hv heard of the Tata Nano, the $2500 car?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.carrobonito.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/tata-nano.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.carrobonito.com/2009/03/01/tata-nano-vendas-comecam-em-abril-de-2009/&usg=__paRRmsFi1JzKOS_YfByl8Qm1-Jg=&h=299&w=450&sz=39&hl=en&start=1&tbnid=-LvFgWdrtivteM:&tbnh=84&tbnw=127&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtata%2Bnano%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1006%26 bih%3D618%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:1&itbs=1

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.watblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/tata-nano.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.watblog.com/tag/tata-nano/&usg=__aLnIEpo471V4Mbd4fvFUzF8fim4=&h=325&w=450&sz=30&hl=en&start=0&tbnid=1UoyDF0ICrWx-M:&tbnh=136&tbnw=192&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtata%2Bnano%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1006%26 bih%3D618%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:10,143&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=333&vpy=288&dur=590&hovh=191&hovw=264&tx=113&ty=78&ei=Z-5JTLuvOdOQjAfrksXYDA&page=1&ndsp=12&ved=1t:429,r:9,s:0&biw=1006&bih=618

KhalsaWarrior
07-23-2010, 04:35 PM
so indian technology is even cheaper than the chinese one

Thank you, if you meant that as a compliment. And if you meant that as an insult, it rolled right off my back.:lal10:

Admin Khan
07-23-2010, 05:20 PM
Khalsawarrior,
Do you by any chance have a picture of this laptop?

Admin Khan
07-23-2010, 08:29 PM
Here it is,
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20100723/capt.13580a61e87344d1b16699d991469e89-13580a61e87344d1b16699d991469e89-0.jpg?x=301&y=345&q=85&sig=fedgOpF7IZjIj03jSg_6Pw--

KhalsaWarrior
07-24-2010, 03:56 AM
Here it is,
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20100723/capt.13580a61e87344d1b16699d991469e89-13580a61e87344d1b16699d991469e89-0.jpg?x=301&y=345&q=85&sig=fedgOpF7IZjIj03jSg_6Pw--

Yeah, thats the pic I saw on TV. Seems pretty light and compact. But I think the job is just half done. Packaging and marketing it right would make a lot if difference.

KhalsaWarrior
07-24-2010, 02:44 PM
Khalsa do you think this will be successful?

Shlombay, as I mentioned in my earlier posts, it all depends on how they market it. If marketed and sold as an educational or a youth product it can certainly be successful. Sell it to NGOs focussed on education or the UN agencies like UNICEF and this product can be used to impart to education to millions. I mean you just need a wi-fi router in the classroom and educational programs can be beamed in via satellite. To borrow a corporate tagline - its all about "connecting people."

Roshina
07-24-2010, 07:45 PM
I'm gonna get me tonnnns of 'em when they become available here! This is happy news!

KhalsaWarrior
07-25-2010, 02:24 AM
Khalsawarrior
Are you in a similar field?

Well I am an IT engineer like countless other Indians. :tongue: But I moved away from the field when I went in for my MBA. Now a days my field of work is general consultancy for corporates.

KhalsaWarrior
07-25-2010, 02:26 AM
Now pakistanis must race this thing. They would not compromise if India tests a new missile . But they would compromise all of the positive things.

They should. I would support a joint project between the two countries. And if the countries of the SAARC join in for efforts to eradicate illiteracy, we would rid the world of more than 2/3 of the world's illiterates.

Admin Khan
07-25-2010, 03:57 AM
Well I am an IT engineer like countless other Indians. :tongue: But I moved away from the field when I went in for my MBA. Now a days my field of work is general consultancy for corporates.
A lot of companies have out-sourced to India. Its an interesting technological shift, I heard India has its own little Silicon valley growing.

spogmai shaglay
07-25-2010, 04:04 AM
Khalsawarrior... saw this in the paper day before yesterday.....realeased by Kapil Sibal... our education minister...looks and sounds great....will haveto see how it willbe in the long run....

rakshak
07-25-2010, 05:09 AM
Great! Hopefully it won't end up like another project from the GoI

KhalsaWarrior
07-25-2010, 05:52 AM
A lot of companies have out-sourced to India. Its an interesting technological shift, I heard India has its own little Silicon valley growing.

Yeah u bet. Areas like Bangalore, Hyderabad in the South. Pune in the West and now Gurgaon (a Delhi suburb) in the North are hubs of IT companies in India. Take my case for eg. I went to Canada to work for a US company, but a couple of years later they sent me back to Gurgaon to work with the new India office team like many other US office folks. Of course it worked out better for me, as I was closer to home.

KhalsaWarrior
07-25-2010, 05:54 AM
Khalsawarrior... saw this in the paper day before yesterday.....realeased by Kapil Sibal... our education minister...looks and sounds great....will haveto see how it willbe in the long run....

I know man. If you ask me, they best transfer the rest of the process to a private company. HCL which is into hardware can probably do a better job than any govy. agency.

spogmai shaglay
07-25-2010, 06:25 AM
I know man. If you ask me, they best transfer the rest of the process to a private company. HCL which is into hardware can probably do a better job than any govy. agency.

True....we know our government better than anybody else or even better than the government itself...

Admin Khan
07-25-2010, 01:21 PM
Yeah u bet. Areas like Bangalore, Hyderabad in the South. Pune in the West and now Gurgaon (a Delhi suburb) in the North are hubs of IT companies in India. Take my case for eg. I went to Canada to work for a US company, but a couple of years later they sent me back to Gurgaon to work with the new India office team like many other US office folks. Of course it worked out better for me, as I was closer to home.
Its great for the Indian economy but sometimes those call-centers in countries like Philippines really make our lives difficult in the west.

I remember they were opening call-centers in Karachi as well. They were trying to do fraudulent schemes though such as calling random Americans and telling them, "Hey you just won the lottery etc".

eusuphxai
07-25-2010, 01:23 PM
at this price they don't need marketing or packaging it will sell like hot cakes, I hope humans can bring cost of other basic things down too, medicine one of them.

spogmai shaglay
07-25-2010, 01:25 PM
at this price they don't need marketing or packaging it will sell like hot cakes, I hope humans can bring cost of other basic things down too, medicine one of them.

Medicine is way too far... things required for survival, for every day need.. the inflation rate in india is 100% when compared to last year....

eusuphxai
07-25-2010, 01:36 PM
Medicine's price has been decreasing in the last decade.

I am not just talking about india, also a lot more can be done, like women still die at child birth in 21st century

KhalsaWarrior
07-25-2010, 03:51 PM
Its great for the Indian economy but sometimes those call-centers in countries like Philippines really make our lives difficult in the west.

I remember they were opening call-centers in Karachi as well. They were trying to do fraudulent schemes though such as calling random Americans and telling them, "Hey you just won the lottery etc".

I know what you mean. There are a lot of call-centers in India. But call-centers and BPOs are just one part of the Indian IT industry. Though the call-centers were the first jobs that came to India, it soon expanded and now software and other related industries are ruling the roost. Companies like TCS, HCL, Infosys and Mahindra Satyam bring billions of dollars worth of IT contracts home. And you must have seen the Mahindra Satyam boundary advertising boards during the recent football WC.

KhalsaWarrior
07-25-2010, 05:23 PM
Khalsa how strong is the Indian IT industry vis a vis Pakistan?

I dont think it will be a fair comparison, my friend. While I dont have data on Pakistan IT industry, I do know that the Indian IT industry is older, larger and more advanced than the Pakistani IT industry. Indian IT industry generates about $70 Bn in annual revenues and employs more than 2.5 million people. You can read more about it below-

Information technology in India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_IT_industry)

KW

Admin Khan
07-25-2010, 05:39 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BangaloreInfosys.jpghttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cognizant-Pune.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BangaloreInfosys.jpg

KhalsaWarrior
07-26-2010, 01:54 AM
I am against outsourcing to India because its taking our jobs in the west and giving it to the Indians who do it for less of the money.

Its actually helping the western economy if they outsource to India. That way the companies manage to stay afloat in tough times like the recession. Outsourcing saves them major costs. If they'd continue to keep everything in house, in the US they will run huge losses and many companies would be in danger of going bust. And its not just about the cost. There is always a quality aspect to it. No country would compromise on quality beyond an extent to save on costs as that will hurt its image.

And outsourcing is fact. And it will continue to increase. Ever wondered why Outsourcing and American jobs are a major issue in every US presidential poll but no tough law is ever introduced to curb it? Its because of the corporate lobby. And the corporate lobby supports it because of the reasons I mentioned above.

The better, faster and the cheaper would always win. Thats a fact in the global economy irrespective of the location.

KhalsaWarrior
07-26-2010, 05:29 AM
I disagree Khalsawarrior, How is it helping the economy if unemployment rises?

The unemployment is increasing for those people that are semi-skilled or are employed in jobs that doesnt require specialized skill. In the long run, such a concentration of skill will help the society and economy to specialize in high-end and potentially higher value generating jobs. economies like Japan are similar highly-skilled economies.

Secondly, as I mentioned in my earlier post. Outsourcing helps western countries stay competitive by savings costs. For eg. Company A employing 10,000 people decides to outsources 200 jobs to help save costs. These costs that are saved will help keep the company stay afloat and ensure the jobs of rest of the 9800 people.

The key issue for companies here is competition. What would you rather have? A company like GE that outsources 10,000 jobs to India and employs 40,000 in the US and manages to prosper for 30 years or another company that employs 50,000 people in the US but cant fight off price-based competition and goes bankrupt in 5-8 years? I think any right-minded individual would prefer the former.

lalala
07-27-2010, 12:29 AM
India unveils $30 laptop.

so? do you think people come to Pashtun forums to hear news about your indian homeland?

KhalsaWarrior
07-27-2010, 02:47 AM
so? do you think people come to Pashtun forums to hear news about your indian homeland?

Do you talk from your mouth or from the chip on your shoulder?

KhalsaWarrior
07-27-2010, 03:21 AM
Thats not really true in the USA. Unemployment is at all time high for nearly everyone, including educated Americans with 4 year college degrees. Outsourcing engineering are beneficials for the firms but not for average Americans. Ultimately its the CEO, firm and INDIANS who benefit.

Jasmine, I dont have data to support that its the low-skilled that are losing jobs in the US so I will concede to you the point. It was just something that I picked up from articles in economic magazines.

However I do not agree with you about the benefits of outsourcing. A company doesn't operate in a silo. In an economy everything is inter-linked. Its not that only the company that outsources will benefit. You are forgetting their other stakeholders apart from their employees. Their suppliers that provide raw material to them. Their supplier's suppliers and their employees. Their banks that lend credit to them. Other agencies that depend on business from them. Its a whole big-ecosystem that directly or indirectly depends upon that company's survival.

The former would make sense but its India who at the end of the day benefits from this. Yes India does benefit from it but so does GE and all their stakeholders similar to the above example.

And Jasmine, the truth is that outsourcing today has become necessary for every company's survival. The competition is cut-throat and emerging economies like India/China cheaper and equivalent quality alternatives. How do you expect a company that only sources from the US to survive? Its just plain impossible.

KhalsaWarrior
07-27-2010, 03:50 PM
It's still a long road for India or any country in the world to meet the level of the USA.

Khalsa wat do you think of the USA technological?

You mean the level of their technology? Oh well they are way, way more advanced than us. Indians are just rookies and they are the pros. But India has the resources. Great brains, good institutes and a culture that lays emphasis on learning and education. India just needs the right eco-system. A structure that helps inventors and innovators. Currently nobody wants to do research. All IIT grads want to do is to join a US MNC and rake in the dollars. Things are beginning to change, little by little. Outsourcing and software is just one example of India's potential.

My 6 Sigma professor in my B-school in Delhi who had spent some years in Japan with Mitsubishi, had this favorite quote - "1 Indian is better than 1 Japanese, but 10 Japanese are far better than 10 Indians". We lack team work.

Dukhtar-e-Kabul
08-04-2010, 01:04 PM
Why doesnt India give Afghans these laptops. We dont want more embassies. We have enough of Indian embassies in Afghanistan. Help us out educationally.

I choose an Indian over a Pakistani anytime of the day.

IamDZJ
08-04-2010, 04:32 PM
Arzan be ilat nest qeemat be hekmat.

Shaan
08-04-2010, 11:56 PM
Pakistan and India are both the enemies of Pashtuns. Pakistan is our biggest enemy.

Be rest assured 99.99999% of the indians dont even know anything called pashtun exist at all. So no enemy, no friends, Still our govt building roads in afghan land, when they should have been building roads in our own land.

Sticking to the opening post, this laptop is for poor kids only to be distributed in govt funded schools and its subsidized, i got one in like US$42 and its fun posting through it and searching it landed me here :D

KhalsaWarrior
08-05-2010, 03:10 AM
Be rest assured 99.99999% of the indians dont even know anything called pashtun exist at all. So no enemy, no friends, Still our govt building roads in afghan land, when they should have been building roads in our own land.

Sticking to the opening post, this laptop is for poor kids only to be distributed in govt funded schools and its subsidized, i got one in like US$42 and its fun posting through it and searching it landed me here :D

You mean you already bought it? I'd heard it wont be out for an year.

Btw, welcome from a fellow Indian. Its a real nice place, this forum.

IamDZJ
08-05-2010, 03:47 AM
funny, i thought this is a thread about laptops...

KhalsaWarrior
08-05-2010, 03:52 AM
funny, i thought this is a thread about laptops...

It started off like that, but then it went into Technology and IT and Outsourcing and now back to Laptops. :) I dont mind it as long as its cordial and everybody gets to exchange opinions and learn along he way.

Shaan
08-05-2010, 08:10 AM
So you think India is doing it cause they care Shaan?

Well If I say they care for themselves, a strong afghan can be a benefactor in india's existance, and a pakistan kind of afghanistan can be a threat.

India being a multi cultural and multi ethnic land, can only afford to have stable nations with stable people, that s what indian policy cares I guess, other then this i dont think indians have any similarity or special love with afghans, but its like we must care for a neighbour to keep our integrity.

Shaan
08-05-2010, 08:13 AM
You mean you already bought it? I'd heard it wont be out for an year.

Btw, welcome from a fellow Indian. Its a real nice place, this forum.

yeah I got one from myself, not from open market, it will be in open market in next academic session, but some limited editions are available if one likes to get. Its kinda poor man's ipad.

and thanks bro, for warm welcome bro :D So u got keen interest in info-af things?