View Full Version : Sharbat Gula

SwatiTheBrave1
04-07-2010, 10:08 PM
Im not sure if you guys know of her, but very interesting. I thought Id share it with you guys:

http://www.stefangeens.com/graphics/blog/sharbat-gula.jpg

National Geographic has tracked down the subject of one of its most famous covers ever. The beautiful Pashtun girl with bright green eyes could have been a supermodel here in the west; instead, she married, bore 4 children, lived through 17 more years of war and poverty, and wears the veil. Sharbat Gula's new portrait, when juxtaposed with the old, is just as powerful. The eyes are paler now, the veil is duller, the face fuller, the stare now more weary than defiant. Seventeen years seem to have passed so fast since I first saw the picture as a teenager in Sydney. I've often stared back at the original portait, and sometimes wondered where and what she was up to. The story is in the April 2002 issue of National Geographic Magazine.

Admin Khan
04-07-2010, 10:10 PM
She is an iconic image for Afghanistan, nice post.

IamDZJ
04-07-2010, 10:39 PM
what afghan living abroad doesn't know sharbat bibi..

SwatiTheBrave1
04-07-2010, 10:43 PM
I dont

IamDZJ
04-07-2010, 10:50 PM
shame on you. besharam kahi ka...jurat ta bia gora chi pakhpala shahedi hum warkawe...

SwatiTheBrave1
04-07-2010, 10:57 PM
yara sta pa de pukhto na pohegama... pa english ki owaya...

IamDZJ
04-07-2010, 10:58 PM
zma noom lema de aow za da cha yar piyar na yema. :Cool:

*Mahzala*
04-07-2010, 10:59 PM
yara sta pa de pukhto na pohegama... pa english ki owaya...

Swati, pe de khabera hum zaan poyawel kuma faida ne lari. Kema 'khaasa' khabera newa. :happy:

Nice post, thank you for sharing. :)

SwatiTheBrave1
04-07-2010, 11:01 PM
zma noom lema de aow za da cha yar piyar na yema. :Cool:

ala.. levanai ta gora... ta ta zo sa owema??? jinay??? u like that name???

SwatiTheBrave1
04-07-2010, 11:07 PM
Swati, pe de khabera hum zaan poyawel kuma faida ne lari. Kema 'khaasa' khabera newa. :happy:

Nice post, thank you for sharing. :)

why thank you.. :handkiss:

IamDZJ
04-07-2010, 11:14 PM
ala.. levanai ta gora... ta ta zo sa owema??? jinay??? u like that name???

YEAH, JiNAY WILL DO.

SwatiTheBrave1
04-07-2010, 11:16 PM
warka tungggg

tor_khan
04-08-2010, 01:22 AM
The thing that "irks" me slightly is that Steve McCurry (the photographer) made millions of $$$.

Sharbat Gula, still lives in poverty.

Shame. Shame.

http://torkhan.blogspot.com/2009/02/sharbat-gula-afghan-girl.html

Son of Mountains
04-08-2010, 02:20 AM
I saw her photo 1st time in Lok Wirsa museum islamabad. Her eyes r extra beautiful..!

Dukemina
04-08-2010, 06:08 PM
She is beautiful. I love how naturally beautiful she is, nazara na she. :)

Sometimes I try to imagine what kinda postion she was in when her original photo was taken. I wish we had images of the background....spectacular shot, man. Kudos to the phtographer!

Master Khan
04-08-2010, 06:15 PM
I seen that photo so many times.
probably the most famous picture of a afghan(pashtun) female

if you type Pashtun, Afghan, Afghanistan etc this picture will come up.

Palwasha
04-08-2010, 06:59 PM
I love this picture, she looks astonishing. And SubhanAllah, what eyes, they tell its own story.

I agree with you Dukes, on the natural beauty, no airbrushed model pict could ever beat this.

Admin Khan
04-08-2010, 10:00 PM
Out of curiosity, did she benefit at all from all this fame?

Laila
04-13-2010, 10:58 PM
Out of curiosity, did she benefit at all from all this fame?

Actually there was this video that a photographer went out and searched for her. When he found her, she obviously knew nothing about her 'fame.' I think herself, family, and husband were very uneasy with it. Its kind of a besharam thing to some families to have their pictures out to the public. Not that her picture is protraying any negativity. But i think she likes her own privacy. Her husband was there very close to her as they were interviewing her....obviously he would not have liked it.

No doubt she is a beautiful woman on Earth, but i think her privacy should have been a little more respected. How would you like it, as a Pashtun parent, to see your daughters picture all over the place. I wonder how she feels about it...I dont know, maybe i am just thinking too much :P......anyhow not trying to start any heat to this thread.....she has this beauty no one can describe. And she is an icon to Afghan beauty.