View Full Version : What to do with passwords once you create them

toor-pekai
07-16-2010, 02:12 AM
hmmm..with all these advices i can only imagine where our brains would be in another 50 years or so..we would be back to the cavemen times

toor-pekai
07-16-2010, 02:42 AM
what brings you to such a conclusion?

Look around you...
Examine a student in a Uni.
Most of them won't do their math without a calculator.

Many don't bother with practicing their spelling because nowadays, most devices correct your mistakes automatically.

Passwords...You keep them MEMORIZED in your brain, no other place can be as safe.

There are many many more reasons...can't think of them since i am tired..but i hope you get my point and if you don't then i will elaborate :D

toor-pekai
07-16-2010, 03:05 AM
I get your point but isnt it a good thing that we can solve problems in seconds that used to take as hours?

to a point sir...to a point

is eating at McDonald's healthy?..No! But, is it cheap and fast?..yes!
Sometimes, taking the easy way is not always the healthiest!

we don't want these technologies to take over our brains!

Iqra
07-16-2010, 03:06 AM
I agree with you toor pekai, we've become so reliant on these faster/easier ways...that I believe, and I am no dr or anything, it has weakened us..overall at least.

JAMALUDEEN
07-16-2010, 07:04 AM
This software pretty much kills the purpose of having a password at first place, and knowing from Microsoft products bad history with 'bugs' and"viruses" , i wouldn't rely on a software. lol. I have different accounts emails, forum ids, bank accounts etc and i have chosen different passwords for all of them. It's not too difficult to memories them.

So if someone can crack the Master password for this software, they can have all your other passwords, LOL. It's a big security issue.

Roshina
07-16-2010, 10:10 PM
So if someone can crack the Master password for this software, they can have all your other passwords, LOL. It's a big security issue.

Exactly. I'm wondering how even experts could recommend such a thing!

Whatever happened to using our memory for important things like these :cryy:

I'd recommend having passwords that are VERY MUCH the same but not exactly. For instance, maybe you could add a different letter and/or a number at the end or beginning of each new password you have to create (it could be related to each account so that you know which password is for which account). I'd think this is much safer -- and much easier to remember as well.

Roshina
07-16-2010, 11:25 PM
^that is very dangerous.

It's not dangerous at all, provided you use special characters (like ! & #, etc.). People trying to guess your passwords will take forever figuring it out because they'll have to choose from 26 letters, infinite numbers (since the number you use in your password can be anything -- 0 to 493 to 184 to ... so on).

It's also smart to have a capital letter somewhere in the middle of your password. No one will be able to figure that out at all.

Admin Khan
07-17-2010, 12:13 AM
One of the most important things that members should always be concerned about is their security question. Some people thing that a security question is just a joke but little do they know that by answering that question they can change your password.

Baidariwal
07-17-2010, 02:24 AM
It's not dangerous at all, provided you use special characters (like ! & #, etc.). People trying to guess your passwords will take forever figuring it out because they'll have to choose from 26 letters, infinite numbers (since the number you use in your password can be anything -- 0 to 493 to 184 to ... so on).

It's also smart to have a capital letter somewhere in the middle of your password. No one will be able to figure that out at all.

good points, there should be a capital letter and number and signs everything mixed in password, not just letters.

also the way i creat my password is i make up a sentence that i can remember easily, then pick the first letter of each word of that sentence and create password using those letters. for example if my sentence is : My name is Baidariwal and I am from wardak. so my password would be: mnibaiafw

goodluck trying to guess that one now :lal10:

Baidariwal
07-17-2010, 02:34 AM
I am so going to steal your idea. that is creative baidarawal.

sure thing goahead steal them all, and just for extra fun add the things Qrutagai mentioned, make the first letter capital and at the end add a sign :lal29:

JAMALUDEEN
07-17-2010, 04:44 AM
Exactly. I'm wondering how even experts could recommend such a thing!

Whatever happened to using our memory for important things like these :cryy:

I'd recommend having passwords that are VERY MUCH the same but not exactly. For instance, maybe you could add a different letter and/or a number at the end or beginning of each new password you have to create (it could be related to each account so that you know which password is for which account). I'd think this is much safer -- and much easier to remember as well.

I have a very safe long password with a combination of capital letters, numbers and other characters !@#$%! for my bank account and the email ID that is associated with it. As for forum and other email ids, i do the same thing that you do. I have one password and i just change either the ending of it or the beginning.

Getting your email id hacked is a big headache, especially if all your bank accounts are connected to it. I speak from experience....:pullinghair:

Dukhtar-e-Kabul
07-17-2010, 03:37 PM
I use random dari words for my pw. Good luck guessing them.

Helay
07-17-2010, 07:59 PM
ha, I make short sentences. I remember my first password for my MSN ID.

It was babyonemoretime lol. Yes I was a B.Spears fan :S