View Full Version : Rabab : King of Pashto

PFgulalai
07-10-2010, 02:16 AM
Thanks a lot laghmanking for this amazing information on Rabab. I always wanted to play Rabab as a child. We have Rabab at home but nobody knows how to play. We can play in our hearts though.
I remember this one time my American friends asked me in a gathering about the culture and I proudly started telling them about our music and attan...then came Rabab and I was bombarded with questions. Of course, my knowledge about Rabab was not sufficient to explain to them how it works. All I could do then was to play a Rabab instrumental on youtube and they absolutely loved it.Many were asking me how to buy it and I was just telling them that I will arrange the process later, lol.
But now with this article, I might have a fair idea about Rabab. Ahh!!I want to learn playing Rabab...I have started learning violin (initial stages) but somehow it is not as happening as Rabab and Guitar.
but thankssssssssssss a million for such a useful article..thanks for sharing!!! :)

Roshina
07-10-2010, 02:21 AM
"People may do anything to Pakhtun nation but Pakhto tapa and rabab will always keep them alive despite ravages of times," Ghulam Sakhi Ustad concluded interview as he pulled the strings of his rabab and began playing on it a beautiful Pakhto song Moong Yu Da Khyber Zalmee Pukhto Zamoonga Shaan De /Moonga Pukhtana Yu Pa Watan Mo Zaan Qurbaan De.

Ahhh, one of my most favorite songs about Pukhtuns! VERY beautifully sung and even better lyrics! Here, for those who haven't heard it yet.

YouTube - Mong Yu Da Khyber Zalmi (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bCpbKFSHA4)

Roshina
07-10-2010, 02:25 AM
Great article! Thank you for posting here, Laghmankinga! I like how he said that today's young Pukhtuns aren't too familiar with the basics of Pukhto music. Hopefully, as this expression of our love for Pukhto and Pukhtuns continues and as the youth is introduced to the positives of our history, our musicians will start using more Pukhtun instruments in their music.

Thanks a lot laghmanking for this amazing information on Rabab. I always wanted to play Rabab as a child. We have Rabab at home but nobody knows how to play. We can play in our hearts though.

LO L@ "We can play in our hearts though"! Same here!

I'm going to learn it one day, ka khaire. So here's what we do, k:

When you're coming to visit me, you bring the rabab with you and we just play around with it and ... you know, just try something! Who knows, we might learn something!

PFgulalai
07-10-2010, 02:25 AM
Oh girl!! I absolutely adore this one..Have you seen the original video by Zeek Afridi? He and the other guys look so cute! :loveit:

Roshina
07-10-2010, 02:30 AM
Oh girl!! I absolutely adore this one..Have you seen the original video by Zeek Afridi? He and the other guys look so cute! :loveit:

Yep! Am seeing that right now, in fact. And Zeek has SUCH a damn good voice!

YouTube - Zeek Afridi - Khyber Zalmi (Pashtun Zindabad) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTRswF7TPJM&feature=related)

Roshina
07-10-2010, 02:33 AM
I can teach both of you.

You ... you mean you know how to play the rabab?! OMG! WOW! Impressive, girl! :hug1"

The youngest Pashtun I've ever known who knows how to play the rabab was I think a 22-year-old.

Anyone knows about Samira Azadzoi? She's met Hamayun Sakhi and told him how he inspired her to learn the rabab and all.

Here;s she with the rabab

YouTube - Rabab Ghar Aaya Mera Pardesi, Rabab Tabla (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_GTsi_3-Rc)

PFgulalai
07-10-2010, 02:48 AM
Whoa Afghanlady!! you play it..that is really awesome...you learnt it at home/somebody? for how long have you been playing? I am so excited now! :D
Manana-I will be looking forward to it...
I can teach both of you.

PFgulalai
07-10-2010, 02:49 AM
and he is cute too, kana! :loveit:
Yep! Am seeing that right now, in fact. And Zeek has SUCH a damn good voice!

YouTube - Zeek Afridi - Khyber Zalmi (Pashtun Zindabad) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTRswF7TPJM&feature=related)

PFgulalai
07-10-2010, 02:51 AM
I guess I read somewhere about her and then I youtube-ed her. She is pretty kool with it. Is she still playing?
You ... you mean you know how to play the rabab?! OMG! WOW! Impressive, girl! :hug1"

The youngest Pashtun I've ever known who knows how to play the rabab was I think a 22-year-old.

Anyone knows about Samira Azadzoi? She's met Hamayun Sakhi and told him how he inspired her to learn the rabab and all.

Here;s she with the rabab.

Levanaye Zalmaye
07-10-2010, 04:04 AM
and he is cute too, kana! :loveit:

Not as cute as our Apridaye but cute nonetheless.

PFgulalai
07-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Ahhh!! now I know why I like this forum,lol..btw, how about our Zalmaye? ;)

Not as cute as our Apridaye but cute nonetheless.

PFgulalai
07-10-2010, 12:46 PM
Oh I just realized that this article should be moved into the Pashtun Culture category.

Shaadi Ki Shehnai
08-09-2010, 04:20 PM
Greeting to all from New York City. I truly love the classical and folk music of Afghanistan and would like to study (and purchase a) rubab. I have been playing Hindustani classical on sitar for 22 years and would like to immerse myself in this wonderful music.

Any suggestions would be glad welcome.

Peace

Laila
08-09-2010, 04:23 PM
I just bought a rabab from Kabul :runaround: Its sooooo cool. Mine is made out of pure, homemade wood. Though i forgot to buy a musical book for the rabab because i cant find it here :(

Laila
08-09-2010, 04:25 PM

Here;s she with the rabab

YouTube - ‪Rabab Ghar Aaya Mera Pardesi, Rabab Tabla‬‎ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_GTsi_3-Rc)

Samira Azadzoi is known to be the youngest Afghan to play the rabab. Yes, she has personally met and took personal lessons with the one and only Humayun Sakhi. They live near my city

Shaadi Ki Shehnai
08-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Laila, you are most blessed indeed! Finding a well made instrument of quality here in New York is rather difficult, hence my posting here.

I know that there are 3 sizes of rabab - do you know what your rabab is? I have never heard of a book for rabab. I do have one text/thesis book about the history of the music. I will see if there are any reference charts in it and let you know.

Peace.

Laila
08-09-2010, 04:35 PM
Laila, you are most blessed indeed! Finding a well made instrument of quality here in New York is rather difficult, hence my posting here.
Thanks....anytime you go to Kabul or Peshawar....there will be someone there to either sell it to you or to make it from scratch. Mine is from scratch
I know that there are 3 sizes of rabab - do you know what your rabab is? I have never heard of a book for rabab. I do have one text/thesis book about the history of the music. I will see if there are any reference charts in it and let you know.

Peace.

Yes, there are 3 sizes to the rabab. The biggest one, is well, tooooo big. So we got the medium size which is the ideal size. There are books back in Afghanistan to teach you the notes and to teach you how to play songs. But i totally forgot to get them because the day before we left Afghanistan, i got my rabab.

My brother started working on it, and so far he is doing good. He is teaching himself

Zarawar
08-09-2010, 04:36 PM
YouTube - ‪Ustad Mohamed Omar - char baite pashtu‬‎ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-N_zs-Mimo)

Tar de Ustad omar tarwosa na cha sha rabab wahalai, aw na ba ye wa wahee.
For those who play rabab at home check this out:

YouTube - ‪Ustad Mohammad Omar plays the rubab‬‎ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtbEoibZtjE&feature=related)

rabab ye dase soor dai chey sarai da sada wabasee...

Laila
08-09-2010, 04:38 PM
Here is another thread already on the rabab.....i posted some videos

http://www.pashtunforums.com/entertainment-14/pashto-music-rabab-803/

Shaadi Ki Shehnai
08-09-2010, 04:40 PM
Va-vah!!! A musical colleague of mine studied with Ustad Mohammed Omar and plays beautifully. He has been living in Germany for nearly 10 years.

Thanks for posting!!

Zarawar
08-09-2010, 04:42 PM
He also had the oldest/ best rababs..........

Shaadi Ki Shehnai
08-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Here is another thread already on the rabab.....i posted some videos

http://www.pashtunforums.com/entertainment-14/pashto-music-rabab-803/ (http://www.pashtunforums.com/entertainment-14/pashto-music-rabab-803/)

Thanks Laila - I look forward to listening and watching later this evening!

I have a small student rabab that seems to have been made by an apprentice instrument maker. It is extremely difficult to tune and pegs slip out of tune no matter what I do to them (chalk; use thread; lightly sand them).

Hence, I am looking for a 4-Fret rabab that is a professional instrument. I intend to put serious study into the music. It does not have to be ornate.

Peace.

Shaadi Ki Shehnai
08-09-2010, 05:47 PM
Hi Nazia - I live in New York City in the borough of Queens.

Zarawar
08-09-2010, 05:54 PM
Thanks Laila - I look forward to listening and watching later this evening!

I have a small student rabab that seems to have been made by an apprentice instrument maker. It is extremely difficult to tune and pegs slip out of tune no matter what I do to them (chalk; use thread; lightly sand them).

Hence, I am looking for a 4-Fret rabab that is a professional instrument. I intend to put serious study into the music. It does not have to be ornate.

Peace.

Get a rabab that you're going to keep all of your life. The only thing that needs to be changed would be the strings and the leather (baby goat) part. And, that too shouldn't come up no less decades of use. The older the rabab, the better it sounds. Try to avoid the flashy (sadaf) rababs, or the ones that are too huge. Get one that perfectly fits your lap, like I said, avoid BIG ONES. It's a pain!!!

Shaadi Ki Shehnai
08-09-2010, 06:05 PM
Zarawar - thank you for the sound advice. It is greatly appreciated. In playing the sitar I faced something very similar. The older traditional musician-friends refer to male and female sized sitars. For years the told me I HAD to play a male sized sitar. Well, I'm average height and have rather small hands. The male sitars were painful to use, even after years of study/playing. My sitar is a small size for a man to play (usually) but for me it is a perfect fit.

Would you have any sources as to how I might connect with someone who is traveling back to New York who could bring a rabab?

Zarawar
08-09-2010, 06:30 PM
Zarawar - thank you for the sound advice. It is greatly appreciated. In playing the sitar I faced something very similar. The older traditional musician-friends refer to male and female sized sitars. For years the told me I HAD to play a male sized sitar. Well, I'm average height and have rather small hands. The male sitars were painful to use, even after years of study/playing. My sitar is a small size for a man to play (usually) but for me it is a perfect fit.

Would you have any sources as to how I might connect with someone who is traveling back to New York who could bring a rabab?

I think it would be great if you either go yourself and buy one from Afghanistan, or know someone that is a fan of rababs, to get you one. It's very hard to find the old ones, in fact it's impossible. Rabab is not something you want to buy through someone else, you have to be actually there to test it, see it, feel it and weigh it. Unless, you are interested in the new ones? Those can be a acquired easily, i'm pretty sure they can be found in Pakistan and India. The high end quality could be found through rabab players back home, they would know if someone is selling a rabab, passed on from generations. I remember around 10 years ago, someone was selling one of Ustad Omar's rabab. Cases like this always comes up, if you know someone that plays a rabab or is familiar with the culture back in Afghanistan. Tell them to have their eyes open, you never know.
The best rababs are found in Ghazni and Kabul, not sure if you know, but Rabab was originated from central Afghanistan and particularly Qarabagh, Maqor areas.
I suggest you go to Afghanistan and buy it yourself, I could easily find you a 4-fret, brand new, flashy looking rabab and ship it to you, without guaranteeing that you are going to be comfortable with listening to it for the rest of your life. I cannot stand a cheap rabab sound...

Shaadi Ki Shehnai
08-10-2010, 10:34 AM
Nazia - got your message. Is the store you mention Kouchi Market? If so, I know how to get there. It is not very far from me. I went there once long ago with a friend to pick up some food there. Great store.

Let me know if this is the place you were thinking about.

Peace