View Full Version : "The Death of Truth and Hope"

Musafira
07-02-2010, 04:02 PM
"The Death of Truth and Hope"

The horrific stories of war and terrorism had become so common here that they were no longer shocking to most. A good day around here now meant a day that passed without innocent people dying and sadly those days had become more and more rare in Pakistan and Afghanistan especially for Pashtuns. Most that lived among this violence had reluctantly accepted that they were merely helpless pawns in a war full of deception and lies but not Arman. He had hope that truth would conquer the lies and that in the end, good would triumph over evil.

Arman was a simple young man. Simple in that he was honest sincere in all that he did. He was tall and slender with trusting brown eyes and despite the misery that surrounded him he was full of hope and almost always wore a smile upon his face. He was born and raised in a small Pashtun villiage not far from Quetta city. He grew up with Islam and Pashtunwali, the Pashtun code of conduct, ingrained into him and he made every effort to live his life according to both. He was very proud of being born a Pashtun and a Muslim but it saddened him deeply that his people were suffering and like most young men his age he would often spend hours discussing politics trying to figure out why things were the way they were.

It was the day after a large bomb blast blamed on the Taliban killed nearly a hundred people at a wedding in Kandahar and all of Quetta was talking about it. Arman was discussing this very topic over chai and samosay with his cousin in a dingy run down restaurant when a stranger interrupted him by saying; "Without any doubt the Americans are behind this! The Taliban are our brothers and would never do such a despicable thing like the Zionist international media is reporting!"
Arman had heard many people say such things before but still he asked; "But why would the Americans do that?'
The stranger with fire in his eyes said: "Are you REALLY so naive? You only see and hear what the infidels what you to see and hear! But I, dear brother, know the truth and so will you if you let me open your eyes! I must go for now but we will discuss this in detail tomorrow at this same place and time if you wish Insh'Allah".

Arman was very intrigued by what the stranger could tell him and agreed to him meet again the next day. The stranger then bid him a polite farewell and left. Arman's cousin looked at him with disbelief and said "Are you out of your mind??? Why did you agree to meet him? He looks and talks as if he belongs to the Taliban! Please don't get mixed up with such people I beg you!" Arman laughed and told his cousin to relax and tried to convince him not be so paranoid. Smiling he said to him "Don't be so silly! Not every man in Quetta with a beard belongs to the Taliban". His cousin had to agree with that statement but his instincts were telling him this stranger was no good. He told Arman "I beg you, please change your mind and don't come back here tomorrow" to which Armaan immediately replied "I have given my word to be here tomorrow so God willing I will be. End of discussion!" Now very annoyed Arman got up, said good-bye to his cousin and left.

As Arman was trying to sleep that night he was troubled thinking about what his cousin had said and about his own thoughts about the Taliban. It was pretty much black and white to him. In his mind both the American soldiers and the Taliban were murderers. As much as he despised and opposed the Americans being in Afghanistan he felt that there was no excuse for the Taliban to also kill innocent people. Mercifully sleep finally over took him and silenced his mind for the remainder of the night.

Morning as always, was beckoned in by the sound of the azaan. Arman got up, prayed, had breakfast and went to work. He worked at a well-known international NGO on the edge of Quetta and was busy preparing for an upcoming visit by the CEO so the day passed quickly. It was almost time for his meeting with the stranger so he left work and headed downtown.

When Arman arrived at the restaurant the stranger was already there and sitting with two other men. He quickly greeted Armaan saying; "Peace be upon you dear brother. My name is Zmaray and these are my friends Atal and Najib from Spin Boldak". Armaan replied "May peace also be upon you my dear Pashtun brothers. It's an honour to meet you all" and then he pulled out a chair and sat down with them at the table. For what seemed an eternity there was an awkward silence but then Zmarey stared into Arman's eyes and spoke:"I suppose you are wondering how I plan on convincing you that things are not as they seem."
"Yes, I was indeed wondering that" Arman replied nervously.
"I promised you the truth and the truth is what you will hear today. There was no suicide bomber sent by the Taliban to that wedding in Kandahar. It was an American missile that killed those people not a suicide bomber. Najib is a witness to this very fact and so are a few others who survived that day. The American's want and need an excuse to attack Kandahar. They think doing these things and blaming it on the Taliban will turn the local people against us but the local people all know the truth and they are prevented and afraid to tell their story knowing they would be killed."
Arman wasn't sure what say. He had heard people say similar things before but this was the first time he met an actual witness. "I do not wish to insult any of you but do you have any proof that what you say is true?
Najib said "It's all been captured on video."
"What???????" Are you serious? Why has this proof not been shown on TV?????" exclaimed Arman.
"I think you already know the answer to that question. Truth was the very first casualty in this so called War on Terror against Muslims and Pashtuns" Zmarey said bitterly
While handing Arman a DVD Najib said "Here is your proof. Most of Kandahar has watched this May God keep you safe Arman.We must be going now." Then they all left.

Arman hurried home eager to see what was on that DVD. For the first twenty minutes there was nothing unusual but then he could clearly see an object coming from the sky and then a huge explosion, followed by chaos and the screaming disbelief of the man who was videotaping the wedding festivities.

Deeply troubled by what he saw on that DVD Arman was determined for the world to see what happened that day in Kandahar. He had hope that the truth would be know to all. He made a few copies of the DVD and sent it out anonymously to a couple of television stations.

A few days later he was watching TV when he saw a story about a supposedly phony DVD being circulated that claimed to show an American missile hitting that wedding party in Kandahar. Many experts on the TV insisted that the footage was not real and had been spliced together by the Taliban in an attempt to increase hatred against the Americans. The announcer mentioned how grateful they were that someone had anonymously sent this in to the station so that this Taliban propaganda could be proven false. Arman felt sick. Was the DVD he had real? Was it really a fake? Would he ever again know for sure what was true? He was convinced at the moment that he would never know. He had no more hope. Hope was now dead. Along with truth it too became a causality in the war on terror. Arman said softly out loud to himself; "Rest in peace hope. Along with truth you will be greatly missed."

Musafira
07-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Thank you so much Nazia :) I spent the past few hours writing this and I'm so happy you liked it :) I wasn't sure if it would make sense to anyone but me :) And I do not think there is any such thing as fan button here :)

Dukhtar-e-Kabul
07-02-2010, 05:27 PM
Nicely written. Goodness gracious you are talented.

Musafira
07-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Thank you all for the nice comments :) They mean a lot to me and encourage me to keep writing :)

pukhtana
07-02-2010, 09:18 PM
Good job. Did you write it yourself? Or did someone help you? I am really happy to know that I am ib a society here with good writers.

Musafira
07-02-2010, 09:30 PM
Good job. Did you write it yourself? Or did someone help you? I am really happy to know that I am ib a society here with good writers.

Thank you Pakhtana :) I wrote it by myself earlier today :)

Admin Khan
07-02-2010, 09:41 PM
http://luke1720.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/salam-alaikum.jpg
Halloschen,

I loved it. But Id like to point a few things out if you don't mind.

Arman was a simple young man. Simple in that he was honest sincere in all that he did. He was tall and slender with trusting brown eyes and despite the misery that surrounded him he was full of hope and almost always wore a smile upon his face.
I love the way your described his character here.

It was the day after a large bomb blast blamed on the Taliban killed nearly a hundred people at a wedding in Kandahar and all of Quetta was talking about it.

I think you should add a little hint here on why Quetta was talking about it. For example, Quetta and Kandaharys share a common dialect(Soft,sheen Kandahary dialect)And Quetta I believe was once part of Loy Kandahar. People from Quetta in a way can relate more to Kandaharys as compared to other cities and provinces.

But obviously the above isn't that important, All I can say is that I enjoyed it. Knowing how talented you are and how brilliantly you wrote this. Lets just say I am happy. :)

amna.
07-02-2010, 10:52 PM
[Prints it out to share with her friend]

I liked it a lot.

єѕαρχαι
07-03-2010, 02:15 AM
When are you going to print out your novel :)

I will be waiting to get a hard copy

єѕαρχαι
07-03-2010, 02:17 AM
truth would conquer the lies and that in the end, good would triumph over evil.

____________:)_____________

Musafira
07-03-2010, 02:12 PM
I liked it a lot. Where do you get your skills from.

I want to learn from you.

Thank you :) This was only my fourth story and from the comments I think I'm improving a little each time so my only advice is just to write and if you enjoy it, write some more :)

JAMALUDEEN
07-03-2010, 02:27 PM
Just amazing :).

JAMALUDEEN
07-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Well for a Lewaney Injaley (joke), it's a great story, it really shows the creative side of you. ;)

@Jasmine, Happy?