View Full Version : What are you reading now ?

LifexMoments
06-29-2010, 08:32 PM
I am looking for a good book to read, can you suggest good books for me ?
thank you (:

Laila
06-29-2010, 08:39 PM
Yes there are series of books by the name of Janet Evanovich. Her book series are about Stephanie Plum, a bounty hunter. The whole series are absolutely hilarious, and entertaining to read. I can promise you that you will never stop reading, you will probably finish the book in like an hour lol

the first book is "One for the Money".....you have to read it in order to understand the books....I know you will like it ;)

warning: there are some adult stuff, but overall the books are good

شمله ور خراساني
06-29-2010, 08:41 PM
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/11/5e/b440793509a06bae96cd7110.L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I am reading Liberalism by Ludwig Von Mises. Great book. Its part of my political economy autodidactive project.

I recently read this:

http://img.amazon.ca/images/I/41JF22K0VFL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU15_.jpg

Thats a very disturbing book. David Duke hates black people. Such a racist.

PFgulalai
06-29-2010, 09:02 PM
Awesomeness!!there is a thread on reading too :)
I am reading "the God's Delusion" by Richard Dawkins...this is my 3rd time reading it as I have not got chance to stop by Barnes to get a new one...

Sina, What kind of books you like to read? I can suggest few...
I am looking for a good book to read, can you suggest good books for me ?
thank you (:

شمله ور خراساني
06-29-2010, 09:08 PM
Awesomeness!!there is a thread on reading too :)
I am reading "the God's Delusion" by Richard Dawkins...this is my 3rd time reading it .
how often have you read the quran?

PFgulalai
06-29-2010, 09:14 PM
@Sangar...Thanks for sharing..I have not read the Liberalism book but looks kinda classic one...the second one, I have..he is indeed a hard-core white nationalist/separatist,lol...but I enjoyed reading the book..I did not know lotsa stuff before..I would recommend it too :)

PFgulalai
06-29-2010, 09:19 PM
countless times when doing just the recitation like a parrot..with understanding only twice--in Pashto and English...Do you want to know how many 'wazifee' I know/read? :)
I know the reason for asking this question. The answer is every book is a good book because it gives you knowledge.
how often have you read the quran?

شمله ور خراساني
06-29-2010, 09:20 PM
countless times when doing just the recitation like a parrot..with understanding only twice--in Pashto and English...Do you want to know how many 'wazifee' I know/read? :)
I know the reason for asking this question. The answer is every book is a good book because it gives you knowledge.
i read richard dawkins too. It helps me understand the kaafir mind better.

شمله ور خراساني
06-29-2010, 09:22 PM
i book I read last month:

http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/books-on-politics/419-6.jpg

I did not like it. It's very boring. And the authors didn't do a good job presenting the subject in a more creative and interesting fashion.

PFgulalai
06-29-2010, 09:25 PM
At least it made you understand something :)
i read richard dawkins too. It helps me understand the kaafir mind better.

PFgulalai
06-29-2010, 09:48 PM
BUT one my many fav books is THREE CUPS OF TEA by Dr.Greg Mortenson--A New York Times's BestSeller and winner of many Awards. (The book's title comes from a Balti's (Baltistan) proverb: "The first time you share tea with a Balti, you are a stranger. The second time you take tea, you are an honored guest. The third time you share a cup of tea, you become family". It is a fantabulous but true story of an American mountaineer (wanted to climb K-2) and his promise with the people to build school for them (in northern Pakistan and Afghanistan). His mission (as he believe) to fight terrorism is through education unlike many Americans.His interviews, videos as well as his articles depicts the kind of human he is.He is the director of the Central Asian Institute whose mission is to provide education to children in Afghanistan and Pakistan. Talibans destroyed many of his schools but he continues his mission..in his own words" the way to fight terrorism is through education".Those interested in supporting his noble cause can give donations to his "pennies for peace" organization. A true human and accomplisher who made the first school in that region by working hard for years in his country so that he can fulfil his promise that he made to the village people! Yeah and his son (very cute) name is KHYBER :)http://myliteraryquest.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/three-cups-of-tea.jpg
"Book Summary

The inspiring account of one man's campaign to build schools in the most dangerous, remote, and anti-American reaches of Asia

In 1993 Greg Mortenson was the exhausted survivor of a failed attempt to ascend K2, an American climbing bum wandering emaciated and lost through Pakistan's Karakoram Himalaya. After he was taken in and nursed back to health by the people of an impoverished Pakistani village, Mortenson promised to return one day and build them a school. From that rash, earnest promise grew one of the most incredible humanitarian campaigns of our time—Greg Mortenson's one-man mission to counteract extremism by building schools, especially for girls, throughout the breeding ground of the Taliban.

Award-winning journalist David Oliver Relin has collaborated on this spellbinding account of Mortenson's incredible accomplishments in a region where Americans are often feared and hated. In pursuit of his goal, Mortenson has survived kidnapping, fatwas issued by enraged mullahs, repeated death threats, and wrenching separations from his wife and children. But his success speaks for itself. At last count, his Central Asia Institute had built fifty-five schools. Three Cups of Tea is at once an unforgettable adventure and the inspiring true story of how one man really is changing the world—one school at a time."

PFgulalai
06-29-2010, 09:49 PM
ohh!! I did not know the image would be that BIGGGGGGGGGGGGG :P

Laila
06-29-2010, 09:53 PM
^ I read that book a while ago...its good

Gulalai, have you read "Kabul Beauty School" i have never read it but i want to. I just hope its not like the "Kiterunner" or something

Roshina
06-29-2010, 09:55 PM
I'm reading Torture Is a Moral Issue: Christians, Jews, Muslims, and People of Conscience Speak Out."It's a compilation of several articles and is edited by George Hunsinger.

PFgulalai
06-29-2010, 11:02 PM
Glad to hear that you like Three cups!! :)
Yeah I have read the "kabbul Beauty School"...ah, did not like it a bit...It's this one another crazy American woman who goes to change the plight of the women but forgets that she is in Afghanistan (she sounded idiot to me)..and guess what! it is an established truth now that most of the stories (very scary stories of Afghan Women) were kinda manipulated....she even did not keep her promise and used the stories of these women (who were working with her in the Beauty School) and put them in danger while she hereslf left in 2007. During the process, she married Samer (her hubby worked for Dostum and he was already having 7 kids from his first wife anf 8th one in preparation) and moved the Beauty School from the Women's Ministry to her house after her marriage, thereby by defeating the purpose of establishing the school for the welfare of women...and writing the book..At the end, I felt she is making a mockery of our culture, place, and herself!Nonethless, you should still read it..sometimes an (apparently) bad book tells you things that you can't find in good ones because they are too good to be analyzed objectively,lol.So read it...you might as well like it :)
Btw, I liked EAT, PRAY, AND LOVE too..I did not know there are such great varieties of Pizza in Italy, interesting meditation places in India and Love stuff in Indonesia..that's a story of another American Woman..a hell lot better than the Crazy Debibie.. Julia Roberts is nowadays busy making Eat,Love, Pray movie :)
^ I read that book a while ago...its good

Gulalai, have you read "Kabul Beauty School" i have never read it but i want to. I just hope its not like the "Kiterunner" or something

PFgulalai
06-29-2010, 11:09 PM
How is it going? The title is tempting..
I'm reading Torture Is a Moral Issue: Christians, Jews, Muslims, and People of Conscience Speak Out."It's a compilation of several articles and is edited by George Hunsinger.

Roshina
06-29-2010, 11:21 PM
How is it going? The title is tempting..

It is, ain't it!

It's a great book, definitely worth reading. It tells you things you're not "supposed" to know - secrets about torture worldwide in various communities, various organizations, supported by people you'd never suspect . . . it's depressing but extremely important.

PFgulalai
06-29-2010, 11:31 PM
Awesomeness!!I was just waiting for your reply before placing the order,lol..the editorial reviews were good too..thanks dearie! :)

It is, ain't it!

It's a great book, definitely worth reading. It tells you things you're not "supposed" to know - secrets about torture worldwide in various communities, various organizations, supported by people you'd never suspect . . . it's depressing but extremely important.

PFgulalai
06-30-2010, 12:06 AM
Aww!! wali naa, Jasmine :)
I just ordered what Qrratugai was reading--"Torture is a moral issue:christians, jews, muslims, and people of conscience speak out". It's depressing (by reading reviews) and disturbing (as Qrra. mentioned). What kind of books you like? Specifically what are you in mood of? I can suggest a few..

Which book did you order Gulalali. I am in desperate need in finding a good book to read

help a sis out.

Laila
06-30-2010, 12:13 AM
"Veil of Roses" is also good

Roshina
06-30-2010, 12:16 AM
What kind of books you like? Specifically what are you in mood of? I can suggest a few..

I'm mostly into non-fiction of the following topics:

- Gender studies, women's rights, minority gender rights (inter-sex, homosexual, transgender, etc.), most particularly when it comes to religious perspectives on the above. Examples: Islam and gender, Christianity and gender, Islam and women, classical and contemporary interpretations of women's rights in Islam/other religions, etc. I've a ton of books on this at the moment, and you may check out my Photo Album titled "Important Books (http://www.pashtunforums.com/members/qrratugai-75/albums/important-books-7/)" to get an idea of what I'm interested in.

- Religions. Any religion, any sect of a religion, any sub-sect of a sect of a religion, etc.

- Cultures and society, including tribal studies. I'm interested in the evolution of societies and culture, and/or comparative studies on the two. History comes into this as well, and that includes history of religions, a nation, a language, etc.

- Abuse. Any kind of abuse, be it against all humans (as in this book on Torture I just mentioned to you), or specific towards women, children, minorities. War victims. The fiction I find most appealing to read is mostly war-related, such as A Thousand Splendid Suns or the Kite Runner. For child abuse, there's this book called A Child Called It by Dave Pelzer that'll make you wanna scream because of what the kid went through! It's non-fiction, and, to me, it was almost smothering.

- Philosophy. Anything related to philosophy, BUT I'm mostly into religion and philosophy.

PFgulalai
06-30-2010, 12:28 AM
Wus ba sa kom...da kho poora list milao sho,lolz.
It's a beautiful collection. I will come back to the list soon (lag gharibi da nan saba,lol).
I loveeeee fiction--a respite from the mundane affairs of my life by reading Wuthering heights and A room with the view :P

I'm mostly into non-fiction of the following topics:

- Gender studies, women's rights, minority gender rights (inter-sex, homosexual, transgender, etc.), most particularly when it comes to religious perspectives on the above. Examples: Islam and gender, Christianity and gender, Islam and women, classical and contemporary interpretations of women's rights in Islam/other religions, etc. I've a ton of books on this at the moment, and you may check out my Photo Album titled "Important Books (http://www.pashtunforums.com/members/qrratugai-75/albums/important-books-7/)" to get an idea of what I'm interested in.

- Religions. Any religion, any sect of a religion, any sub-sect of a sect of a religion, etc.

- Cultures and society, including tribal studies. I'm interested in the evolution of societies and culture, and/or comparative studies on the two. History comes into this as well, and that includes history of religions, a nation, a language, etc.

- Abuse. Any kind of abuse, be it against all humans (as in this book on Torture I just mentioned to you), or specific towards women, children, minorities. War victims. The fiction I find most appealing to read is mostly war-related, such as A Thousand Splendid Suns or the Kite Runner. For child abuse, there's this book called A Child Called It by Dave Pelzer that'll make you wanna scream because of what the kid went through! It's non-fiction, and, to me, it was almost smothering.

- Philosophy. Anything related to philosophy, BUT I'm mostly into religion and philosophy.

Roshina
06-30-2010, 12:30 AM
Wuthering Heights!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! Good God! It's a classic, isn't it! It's one of the few books I'd read more than once, though I haven't re-read it yet. It's just superb!

PFgulalai
06-30-2010, 12:30 AM
Added to the list...thanks Laila Jaan! :)
"Veil of Roses" is also good

Roshina
06-30-2010, 12:34 AM
Gulalai, add this book to your list as well: Speaking in God's Name: Islamic Law, Authority, and Women by Khaled Abou el-Fadl. It's one of the most important (I almost said "THE most important"!) books in the history of religions. It'll make you cry because we have someone like him living among Muslims today. It's too beautiful to be true.

Oh, and it's non-fiction.

For fiction, I'll give you a list once I organize my fiction collection, k?

Levanaye Zalmaye
06-30-2010, 12:42 AM
Wuthering Heights!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! Good God! It's a classic, isn't it! It's one of the few books I'd read more than once, though I haven't re-read it yet. It's just superb!

Really? I thought it was kinda sad... Poor Heathcliff.... and all those dying people! Even the author died young. There's an aura of death around that book! :hairy:

PFgulalai
06-30-2010, 12:47 AM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa here too!!!! I would read it again and again till I die like Ms.Earnshaw..ohh Healthcliff!!!!!!!! :(

Roshina
06-30-2010, 12:47 AM
Really? I thought it was kinda sad... Poor Heathcliff.... and all those dying people! Even the author died young. There's an aura of death around that book! :hairy:

Wo. I love sad books. I can't stand happy fiction books. I had to give up my favorite "happy" and all-romantic fiction authors for less happy ones! lol. Too much fantasy makes me think un-highly of the author :S The book has to be writen like extraordinarily, exceptionally well for me to like it if it's too happy!

PFgulalai
06-30-2010, 12:49 AM
Added!!and thanks once again..you are like pata khazana. Kho by the end of this night I would be bankrupt! :tongue:
Gulalai, a this book to your list as well: Speaking in God's Name: Islamic Law, Authority, and Women by Khaled Abou el-Fadl. It's one of the most important (I almost said "THE most important"!) books in the history of religions. It'll make you cry because we have someone like him living among Muslims today. It's too beautiful to be true.

Oh, and it's non-fiction.

For fiction, I'll give you a list once I organize my fiction collection, k?

Levanaye Zalmaye
06-30-2010, 12:50 AM
Wo. I love sad books. I can't stand happy fiction books. I had to give up my favorite "happy" and all-romantic fiction authors for less happy ones! lol. Too much fantasy makes me think un-highly of the author :S The book has to be writen like extraordinarily, exceptionally well for me to like it if it's too happy!

Hmm like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? :P

By the way, another sad book of the sort that I'm sure you've read is "To Kill a Mocking-bird". I'm not a huge fan of fiction but it always stands out for me. Plus the bigger surprise is that I like it despite its author being a woman.

PFgulalai
06-30-2010, 12:54 AM
It is painful, melancholic, complicated and above all, ambiguous. All these Bronte sisters had terrible lives and died young from infectious diseases. I wish we had cure for the diseases then, so that they had lived longer and enriched the English literature.Alas!
By the way, :hairy:signifies death??? LOL

Roshina
06-30-2010, 12:57 AM
Added!!and thanks once again..you are like pata khazana. Kho by the end of this night I would be bankrupt! :tongue:

LOL! The Speaking in God's Name book is very expensive :S (Or at least it was when I was buying it!)

Don't buy every book. Do what I do to save a lot of money: Borrow the book from the library (if you go to a university/college, they have very convenient ways for you to get a book from a different institution -- even out of state! -- if your own school library doesn't have it. This way, you can get hold of any book in the country!). If you decide you loved it and it's worth buying, then only then buy it.

Or... there are many online sources that let you read a book for free. Lemme know if you need those. Sometimes you have to register, but the registration is free. Goodgle Books doesn't have all books, and not all of the ones it does have are offered in their entirety, but it's still not bad. WorldCat.org tells you where the book is located close to you as well. (I was told it provides free access to books, but I haven't tried this myself yet.)

I'm keeping a library and plan to have one -- a large one -- so, if that's your plan as well, then go ahead and buy as many as you can that you love the reviews for, though. But otherwise, buy them only after you see they're worth the price.

Roshina
06-30-2010, 12:59 AM

By the way, another sad book of the sort that I'm sure you've read is "To Kill a Mocking-bird". I'm not a huge fan of fiction but it always stands out for me. Plus the bigger surprise is that I like it despite its author being a woman.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh!! Yeaahh! To Kill a Mockingbird is SUCH a great book! I love it! Do add it to your collections, Gulalai! It was so long ago that I read it; I need to re-read it to see how I'd react to it this time.

LOL @ your last line, LZ! Rrrruue! :fighting:

PFgulalai
06-30-2010, 01:01 AM
Thank you!thank you!! I completely forgot about this one...my fav too..I still can't forget this one line which goes something like "I think there is just one kind of folks. Folks."
When I read it first, I did not get it. The next time I took it to my village and read it and then I understood,lol.

PFgulalai
06-30-2010, 01:10 AM
Dera Dera Manana!
I have this 'cheenjay' of owning/keeping books and oftentime when I have to move from one place to another as a gypsy, the biggest problem is to move the books.But old habits die hard. (So even you yearn for a personal library...question, we might have been sisters in 'peechlay janum' or might have lost you in some 'qum ka maila'. You will get the bizzare looking stuff if you have watched bollywood movies of 70's and 80's..hahaahhah)
Well yeah, I am gonna take my time, and buy and read one by one..plus I already have two new books coming next week plus the one that I ordered tonight...
Thanks for suggesting all great resources for books. I do visit these some time besides the libraries's access at my school.But still being on Amazon 24/7 is the biggest temptation I am unable to control..ughh!!!

LOL! The Speaking in God's Name book is very expensive :S (Or at least it was when I was buying it!)

Don't buy every book. Do what I do to save a lot of money: Borrow the book from the library (if you go to a university/college, they have very convenient ways for you to get a book from a different institution -- even out of state! -- if your own school library doesn't have it. This way, you can get hold of any book in the country!). If you decide you loved it and it's worth buying, then only then buy it.

Or... there are many online sources that let you read a book for free. Lemme know if you need those. Sometimes you have to register, but the registration is free. Goodgle Books doesn't have all books, and not all of the ones it does have are offered in their entirety, but it's still not bad. WorldCat.org tells you where the book is located close to you as well. (I was told it provides free access to books, but I haven't tried this myself yet.)

I'm keeping a library and plan to have one -- a large one -- so, if that's your plan as well, then go ahead and buy as many as you can that you love the reviews for, though. But otherwise, buy them only after you see they're worth the price.

PFgulalai
06-30-2010, 01:13 AM
Gotcha!! I was thinking along those lines too...ROFL!

PFgulalai
06-30-2010, 01:21 AM
I am a huge fan of Virginia Woolf too. In case you have not read her work, I would recommend reading her best work--A Room of One's Own' and 'Three Guineas'. Oh!! I can't forget Bertrand Russell too...well lemme stop now..I don't want to inundate this thread with my posts anymore :awkward:
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh!! Yeaahh! To Kill a Mockingbird is SUCH a great book! I love it! Do add it to your collections, Gulalai! It was so long ago that I read it; I need to re-read it to see how I'd react to it this time.

Admin Khan
06-30-2010, 01:28 AM
Gulalai,
You should read a stranger in a strange land.
http://images.indiebound.com/385/788/9780441788385.jpg

PFgulalai
06-30-2010, 01:45 AM
Ahh!! never heard/read it before...google-ed it and I am just engrossed ...goes to my to-order-soon list!
Manana Admina!! :)
Gulalai,
You should read a stranger in a strange land.
http://images.indiebound.com/385/788/9780441788385.jpg

Roshina
06-30-2010, 01:48 AM
I am a huge fan of Virginia Woolf too. In case you have not read her work, I would recommend reading her best work--A Room of One's Own' and 'Three Guineas'. Oh!! I can't forget Bertrand Russell too...well lemme stop now..I don't want to inundate this thread with my posts anymore :awkward:

Nooooo! Don't worry! Keep giving all these names, marey!

And, omg!! Virginia Woolf!!! Speaking of her, you should TOTALLY watch this movie called "The Hours." One of the characters represents Virginia (she's played by Nicole Kidman, I believe). There's a book with the same title and I haven't read it yet, but I'm not sure if the movie is based on the book. Either way, it's a fabulously powerful and breathtaking movie, and, judging by your posts here, I know you'll LOVE it!

IamDZJ
06-30-2010, 01:50 AM
i used to be a bookworm. i get physically sick now when i see a book. i had to hide the novels i had collected as a teen with a piece of cloth over the shelf.

Admin Khan
06-30-2010, 02:02 AM
Ahh!! never heard/read it before...google-ed it and I am just engrossed ...goes to my to-order-soon list!
Manana Admina!! :)

Its a classic. After you finish reading it, let me know what you thought of it.:hmm:

PFgulalai
06-30-2010, 02:04 AM
Ohh!! I have re-read THE HOURS many times! It's such an marvelous piece of work by Cunningham (the same guy who wrote A Home At The End Of The World).Both these books are Pulitzer prize winners.
Yeah Nicole played the Woolf's character. The other two characters are also from Woolf's other novels.So all these three characters in THE HOURS are affected by Woolf.
Very rarely would the movies be a true depiction of a writer's creativity but THE HOURS movie did justice to the book. Both are my favs!!

Nooooo! Don't worry! Keep giving all these names, marey!

And, omg!! Virginia Woolf!!! Speaking of her, you should TOTALLY watch this movie called "The Hours." One of the characters represents Virginia (she's played by Nicole Kidman, I believe). There's a book with the same title and I haven't read it yet, but I'm not sure if the movie is based on the book. Either way, it's a fabulously powerful and breathtaking movie, and, judging by your posts here, I know you'll LOVE it!

PFgulalai
06-30-2010, 02:06 AM
Whoa!!that's pretty intense. Why don't you donate it to needy people like me in case you don't need them? :)
i used to be a bookworm. i get physically sick now when i see a book. i had to hide the novels i had collected as a teen with a piece of cloth over the shelf.

PFgulalai
06-30-2010, 02:09 AM
Yeah, I am already curious...oh,I have to wait to read it :(
Its a classic. After you finish reading it, let me know what you thought of it.:hmm:

Musafira
07-05-2010, 09:46 PM
I recently read SONGS OF LOVE AND WAR - Afghan Women's Poetry and I must say it was a great waste of money buying this book. The poetry they are referring to in the title is only a very small collection of translated landay many of which are so erotic I felt embarrassed just reading them. Below is a selection of a few of the "clean" landay translations found in the book:

May you perish on the field of honor, my beloved!
So that girls will sing your glory each time they haul water from the spring.

My beloved! If you turn your back upon the enemy, do not come home again!
Go and seek refuge in a distant land!

My beloved, come and sit a moment close to me
Life quickly turns into the dusk of a fleeting winter evening

On my native soil, the martyr's drops of blood
Are the red tulips of freedom's springtime

If you did not know how to love
Why did you awaken my sleeping heart?

My love prefers sky-colored eyes
And I don't know how to change mine that are the color of the night

Heroes are always alive,
Only traitors will perish forever

tor_khan
09-04-2010, 05:04 AM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39238000/jpg/_39238813_pamuk2.jpg

Set in 15th Century Istanbul about the lives and jealousies of Turkish miniaturists. I'm a third the way through.

If anyone has read Bram Stoker's Dracula then you'll know that each chapter takes the perspective of a key character. Written in a similar vein.

IamDZJ
10-04-2010, 07:33 PM
read this book for the second time. first time i read it i was 17.
this book is about a troubled young man who kills 11 people two of which are his parents. he is charged, convicted and sentenced to death for the murder of the one person he did not kill.

http://img1.fantasticfiction.co.uk/isbnthumbs/038/532/0385322860.jpg

eyeliner
10-04-2010, 07:36 PM
i still need to read the alchemist

Admin Khan
10-04-2010, 08:08 PM
House Keeping by Marilynne Robinson

Haider Bangash 2.0
10-04-2010, 08:32 PM
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
1984 By George Orwell
Fahrenheit 1451

kandahari ella
10-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Read "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" by Steig Larsson, and then read this other two books. Its The Millennium Trilogy- its an easy read. But its very addictive and catching. I loved reading Withering Heights, Jane Eyre and Anges Gray. But when it comes to English Literature, I'm not a fan. Maybe it was because we always had to read them in high school or maybe its because I just don't like it. I actually liked Russian Literature, I fell in over with Gogol's "Over Coat". And from that I went into the novels of Tolstoy, Dostoevsky and of course Nikolai Gogol. From there I went into Kafka and E.T.A Hoffman. Basically, I like the modern novel. I'll read prior to modernity in relation to other cultures. I've read Chinese and Japaneses literature. I've read Italian, Spanish, Oriental and African novels. And for me, English literature lacks the diversity and unknown. Or maybe, being a Comparative Literature major made me really picky on what I want to read. I think Comparative Literature, showed me that these amazing books exist and I can pick them up anytime. I don't have to rely on what I've learned in English classes or what novels are easily available to me.

I used to be able to pick up any book and read on for days. Little novels that were big for no reason. But now a novel has to be amazing for me to pick it up. I'm honestly, in search for the next greatest American novel. I love fiction. I cannot for the life of me reading anything that's non-fiction for fun unless it relates to Islam. I'll pick up books on Islam no matter where I am. But biographical or non-fiction work about anything else feels boring to me. It honestly, makes me want to sleep.

ijaz yousafzai
10-05-2010, 04:01 PM
me, "Talibanisation of Pakistan" by Aamir Mir

Zayam
10-06-2010, 01:18 PM
i still need to read the alchemist

Eyeliner-

That is a great book! It is one of those books that is good to read every few years again, which reminds me I haven't read it again for about 6 years now-though I think I have read it 2-3 times. I guess it is time....

Right now most of what I read is spiritual because I am taking a 99-Day Islamic course, concentration is on the Love of Allah.

Zayam
10-06-2010, 01:20 PM
I'm reading ... Women in the Quran, Traditions, and Interpretations by Barbara Stowasser and A History of the Arab Peoples by Albert Hourani.

Both are for my classes ... well, half for pleasure and half for classes, I can honestly say!

I have one that I have not yet read called: "Believing Women in Islam-Unreading Patriarchal Interpretations of the Qur'an"

Janana
07-13-2011, 04:19 PM
http://ni****ak.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/001_gullivers_travels.jpg?w=99&h=150

Gulbabo
07-13-2011, 06:00 PM
Jane Austen's: Emma

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_QOl1os0h3jc/TRMSsjz9SHI/AAAAAAAAAPU/Jw50bX9kOlQ/s1600/Emma_Jane_Austen_book_cover.jpg

Digital Malang
07-13-2011, 06:03 PM
^ looks super boring :S

Akherousin
07-13-2011, 06:05 PM
Try Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut.

Favorite author btw.

faye
07-13-2011, 06:11 PM
'banker to the poor' by mohammad yunus. about micro lending and the battle against world poverty.

Gulbabo
07-13-2011, 06:23 PM
^ looks super boring :S

do you like reading? if so what type of books do u like to read?

Digital Malang
07-13-2011, 06:32 PM
Try Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut.

Favorite author btw.

It was a weird book but was still worth it. Do you know any other good books on Holocaust?

do you like reading? if so what type of books do u like to read?

I like biographies and historical fiction or non fiction.

Gulbabo
07-13-2011, 06:34 PM
^oh ok then that book might be very boring for you.

Haris
07-13-2011, 07:42 PM
Books i'm reading...

Fiction:
The Legion
Khwagi Misrai <-- Thanks to tor_khan

Non-Fiction:
Wardag qawm seema

Books I will read soon...

Ficton:
The Marching Morons
Shadows of the Pomegranate Tree
Heart of Darkness
The Laughter of Carthage
Pashtun Tales From The Pakistan-Afghan Frontier

Non-Fiction:
Downsize This! Random Threats from an Unarmed American
The Corporaions: The Pathological Pursuit of Profit and Power
The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism
Captive State
The Silent Takeover: Global Capitalism and the Death of Democracy
No Logo: Taking Aim at the Brand Bullies
Afghanistan: A Military History from Alexander the Great to the Fall of the Taliban
Jihad: The Rise of Militant Islam in Central Asia
Taliban: Militant Islam, Oil and Fundamentalism in Central Asia
Taliban: The Power of Militant Islam in Afghanistan and Beyond
Retreat from Kabul: The Catastrophic British Defeat in Afghanistan, 1842
The Great Game
Travels in Asia and Africa, 1325-1354
The adventures of Ibn Battuta, a Muslim traveler of the fourteenth century
The Sword of Allah: Khalid Ibn Walid
A Brief History of Time
Afghanistan of the Afghans
Heroes of the Age: Moral Fault Lines on the Afghan Frontier

...:)

Digital Malang
07-13-2011, 08:23 PM
Khwagi Misrai <-- Thanks to tor_khan

is this book in english or pashto?

Haris
07-13-2011, 08:28 PM
A set of poems in pakhto by Kabir Stori (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabir_Stori).
It's good if you want to improve your Pakhto reading skills as well.

http://kabirstori.com/files/books/KhwagiMisrai.pdf

Digital Malang
07-13-2011, 08:33 PM
thanks for the link Haris =)

torkham
07-13-2011, 09:38 PM
Life of Pi. I thought it would be the irrational number pi but its not . . .

یاسمینه
07-14-2011, 01:05 AM
Taboo.The Hidden Culture of Red Light Area by Fouzia Saeed
and
A Case of Exploding Mangoes by Mohammed Hanif

eyeliner
07-14-2011, 08:05 AM
Life of Pi. I thought it would be the irrational number pi but its not . . .

apparently, that's supposed to be a good book.

Leonine
07-14-2011, 01:11 PM
WHATT???pashtuns dont read books!!! haha

im reading the holy Qur'an :)

Janana
07-14-2011, 01:16 PM

It's an amazing book, I highly recommend you read it if you have not yet already.

Janana
07-14-2011, 02:36 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51hqsFOnNxL._SS500_.jpg

salam
07-14-2011, 02:51 PM
I am reading you guy's posts.

torkham
07-14-2011, 06:17 PM

highly recommended.

eyeliner
07-14-2011, 07:07 PM
It's an amazing book, I highly recommend you read it if you have not yet already.

its on my list...

highly recommended.

i've heard.

Leonine
07-14-2011, 10:24 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51hqsFOnNxL._SS500_.jpg

janana, are you damn serious?!!!! thats the last book i read :) it is very interesting but also has some flaws :) you can discuss it with me :D

Laila
07-14-2011, 10:32 PM
Is Tamim Ansary a biased author? Just wanting to know before i read one of his books.

I am reading a book called "The Story of My Life: An Afghan Girl on the Other Side of the Sky"

Its a nice book about a young Afghan girl that lives in Kabul and loses her legs from land mine.

Leonine
07-14-2011, 10:42 PM
Is Tamim Ansary a biased author? Just wanting to know before i read one of his books.

I am reading a book called "The Story of My Life: An Afghan Girl on the Other Side of the Sky"

Its a nice book about a young Afghan girl that lives in Kabul and loses her legs from land mine.

i have only read his destiny disrupted....he gives very good reasons for the causes of various historical events although his explanations for contemporary events are a bit irrelevant. he puts too much weight on single negativities in society. on the other hand, he continually brought afghanistan in the picture in destiny disrupted which is islamic world history which is GOOD.

IamDZJ
07-15-2011, 01:18 AM
http://cdn3.iofferphoto.com/img/item/118/789/685/book-mr-murder-thriller-novel-by-dean-koontz-72348.jpg

Janana
07-15-2011, 04:36 AM
janana, are you damn serious?!!!! thats the last book i read :) it is very interesting but also has some flaws :) you can discuss it with me :D

Sure! I'm just getting started so I'll hold off on discussing with you until I finish.

Good question, no idea if he is in this particular book as I'm just getting started. Haven't even yet googled his name.

i have only read his destiny disrupted....he gives very good reasons for the causes of various historical events although his explanations for contemporary events are a bit irrelevant. he puts too much weight on single negativities in society. on the other hand, he continually brought afghanistan in the picture in destiny disrupted which is islamic world history which is GOOD.

Heyyy no more spoiling :P!

torkham
07-15-2011, 10:34 AM
The Black Swan: Impact of the highly improbable, by N N Taleb

یاسمینه
07-15-2011, 11:00 AM
Three Women of Herat. A Memoirof Life, Love and Friendship in Afghanistan by Veronica Doubleday

Laila
07-15-2011, 05:15 PM
Good question, no idea if he is in this particular book as I'm just getting started. Haven't even yet googled his name.

From my Sociology professor, i have been told he has written some very good books. But coming from someone that doesnt know the depth of Afghans, just making sure if he is biased or not.

But the book i am currently reading, if you take a look at my post here, he has joined with a young Afghan girl, Farah Ahmadi, in writing that memoir. Its a good short memoir, made me a little teary, check it out :)

Janana
07-15-2011, 06:14 PM
From my Sociology professor, i have been told he has written some very good books. But coming from someone that doesnt know the depth of Afghans, just making sure if he is biased or not.

But the book i am currently reading, if you take a look at my post here, he has joined with a young Afghan girl, Farah Ahmadi, in writing that memoir. Its a good short memoir, made me a little teary, check it out :)

Nice, I will definitely check it out. I've been on a book buying rampage lately.. ugh but books are a pain to move.

IamDZJ
07-16-2011, 12:28 AM
http://i43.tower.com/images/mm114331323/cruelest-cut-rick-reed-book-cover-art.jpg

Talal
07-17-2011, 07:37 PM
http://bagofgames.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Lies-of-Locke-Lamora.jpg

eyeliner
07-23-2011, 11:19 AM
By the river piedra i sat and wept----By Paulo Coelho

graveyardofempires
07-23-2011, 11:36 AM
Maiwand : de afghanistan de tareekh zaley
different writers

eyeliner
07-23-2011, 05:47 PM
Like the Flowing River, Thoughts and Reflections------by Paulo Coelho

graveyardofempires
07-23-2011, 05:54 PM
How many books do you read in a day?

eyeliner
07-23-2011, 06:00 PM
How many books do you read in a day?

Well not many but, i started reading that book By the river Piedra........yesterday and managed to finish it today....So i guess i read a book in almost two days.

IamDZJ
08-06-2011, 07:57 AM
http://i43.tower.com/images/mm113522591/safe-harbor-novel-luanne-rice-book-cover-art.jpg

IamDZJ
08-13-2011, 11:36 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-6SCqsZkSK4U/TfkUIQ_ZAzI/AAAAAAAAADM/GphiU0iXqX8/s1600/heart-of-darkness-paul-gauguin.jpg

IamDZJ
09-14-2011, 08:54 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/3a/TheTempleOfMyFamiliar.jpg/220px-TheTempleOfMyFamiliar.jpg

Alchemist
09-15-2011, 12:04 AM
The name of the rose by umberto eco

...up until now I did not know this was made into a sean connary movie :dead:

IamDZJ
09-21-2011, 01:53 AM
http://wpcontent.answcdn.com/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/de/TheDeathOfTheHeart.jpg/220px-TheDeathOfTheHeart.jpg

eyeliner
09-23-2011, 05:25 PM
one day by David Nicholls

Talal
09-23-2011, 07:44 PM
moder control systems <-> FBW

Digital Malang
09-23-2011, 09:57 PM
http://www.jfklibrary.org/~/media/assets/foundation/profile%20in%20courage%20award/pica%20manual%20upload/paperback%20book.jpg?w=300

Haris
09-29-2011, 01:45 PM
Our Final Century: Will the Human Race Survive the Twenty-first Century?

The premise of the book is that the Earth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth) and human (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human) survival are in far
greater danger from the potential effects of modern technology (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology) than is
commonly realised, and that the 21st century may be a critical moment
in history when humanity's fate is decided. Rees discusses a range of
existential risks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existential_risk) confronting humanity, and controversially estimates that
the probability (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probability) of extinction (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_extinction) before 2100 CE is around 50 per cent, based
on the possibility of malign or accidental release of destructive
technology.

Written by a cosmologist and professor at Cambridge.
Haven't started reading it yet but it looks interesting.

IamDZJ
11-21-2011, 08:46 PM
for some reason this is the only book that i have ever read the details of which i can not remember a year or two later. i love that because it's always a pleasure to read and i have no clue as to what is about to happen in the next page even though i have read it three times already..

http://images.betterworldbooks.com/044/Ashes-of-Roses-9780440238515.jpg

finished that and started this..

http://img1.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n11/n59381.jpg

Badshah Khan Wazir
11-21-2011, 08:50 PM
1984 by George Orwell.

Alchemist
11-21-2011, 10:53 PM
http://horoscopicastrologygroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/cosmosandpsyche2.jpg

:D

Haris
12-01-2011, 05:56 PM
http://diesel-ebooks-cdn.make-a-store.com/mas_assets/image_cache/c/3/e/0/500x500_802310_file.jpeg

An indispensable book & i'm only a few chapters in.

graveyardofempires
12-01-2011, 07:23 PM
http://schoolworkhelper.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/George-Orwell-1984.jpg

I am thoroughly enjoying this book.

enjoy but with a limit

.................................................. ...........................................
havent red a book in long long time.

Afghanistan2010
12-31-2011, 06:40 PM
Currently reading :

Singh-simon , Fermat's Last Theorem
Shaykh Abdur Rauf Sakharvi , Kamil Tareeqa-e-Namaz authorized by Darul Uloom Deoband

... , Mathe for beginners (a mathematical proof)

IamDZJ
12-31-2011, 08:09 PM
someone suggested that i read Brave New World right after 1984 but i can't seem to be able to read 1984. i got bored and then really really bored..so i think i will just read Brave New World instead.

کیش
12-31-2011, 10:18 PM
someone suggested that i read Brave New World right after 1984 but i can't seem to be able to read 1984. i got bored and then really really bored..so i think i will just read Brave New World instead.

1984 was pretty boring.

I really suggest:

Life of Pie

By Yann Martel

The Fifth Mountain

By Paulo Coelho

IamDZJ
12-31-2011, 10:22 PM
i had a fight with the writer of Life of Pie. i am not kidding. so i am not reading his book.:Cool:

faye
12-31-2011, 10:22 PM
i suggest the carlos castaneda series.

کیش
12-31-2011, 10:25 PM
i had a fight with the writer of Life of Pie. i am not kidding. so i am not reading his book.:Cool:

Then I suggest:

The Master and Margarita

By Mikhail Bulgakov

It's a classic book, plus it's about the devil. I think you will enjoy it, as you are a bibliophile.

یاسمینه
01-05-2012, 08:51 AM
My recent purchase

Feroz Afridi
01-05-2012, 10:29 AM
good...

IamDZJ
01-05-2012, 11:58 PM
I finished reading The Great Gatsby. Sadly, it was a great disappointment. I enjoyed the last chapter or half of it along with one very will written sentence somewhere in the middle of the book. I would have liked for it not to be such a short novel and written in the same style that the last chapter was written in. Gatsby's had such a strong character and so much about him was still not revealed by the end of the book. I feel cheated as if the writer had written that book in a rush or something. Like, WTF...

یاسمینه
01-07-2012, 10:29 AM
DZJ, have you ever read anything of Jacqueline Carey? Maybe I'm wrong but I think you would like it.
I've read Kushiel's Dart, Kushiel's Chosen and Kushiel's Avatar.

Soldat_Amir
01-07-2012, 01:16 PM
Afgantsy the Russians in Afghanistan-Great Book.

IamDZJ
01-14-2012, 08:51 PM
DZJ, have you ever read anything of Jacqueline Carey? Maybe I'm wrong but I think you would like it.
I've read Kushiel's Dart, Kushiel's Chosen and Kushiel's Avatar.
are those sequels and prequels of one plot? na i haven't read anything by her yet.

http://i1.bibtopia.com/o/869/433/9780140433869.PE.jpg

یاسمینه
01-20-2012, 01:21 PM
DZJ -it's a sequel. Some who read 2 books got bored and gave up further reading. I've read first three parts and it's enough.

یاسمینه
01-20-2012, 01:23 PM
S.Iftikhar Hussain, Some Major Pukhtoon Tribes Along The Pak-Afghan Border.

Janana
01-30-2012, 06:13 AM
Just finished reading this for the fourth time :P
http://latestbookreviews.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/The_Alchemist_Cover_1.jpg

faye
01-30-2012, 07:14 AM
i read that when it first came out. very nice story.

یاسمینه
01-30-2012, 07:29 AM
i read that when it first came out. very nice story.

Same here :) I read most of his books.

faye
01-30-2012, 07:57 AM
wouldn't mind reading 'the warrior of light'. looks interesting.

faye
01-30-2012, 10:25 AM
i haven't, just the alchemist.

faye
01-30-2012, 11:23 AM
i already spent about 3 years in india.

tor_khan
02-01-2012, 09:56 PM

Download here (http://www.archive.org/details/Metropolis_63).

کیش
03-18-2012, 11:07 PM
Strolling to my Public Library, I stumbled on this book:

Muhammad: Man and Prophet : A Complete Study of the Life of the Prophet of Islam

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51EXA9Q9F7L._SS500_.jpg

I've read other biographies of Muhammad (PBUH), but this book is the best: like the title say's it's a complete study of the life of the prophet of Islam. I just finished it about 15 minutes ago, and I reccomemd everybody (Muslim/NonMuslim) to read it.

IamDZJ
03-21-2012, 02:26 AM
http://residentjudge.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/laurence.jpg

یاسمینه
03-30-2012, 06:35 AM
Farooka Gauhari, An Afghan Woman's Odyssey.

Al Hanif
04-22-2012, 06:56 AM
http://www.images-chapitre.com/ima3/original/775/719775_2872644.jpg

Afghanistan2010
04-22-2012, 07:25 AM
http://www.igdonline.co.uk/images/large/BAL71-lg.jpg

faye
04-22-2012, 08:30 AM
"the alchemy of happiness" al-ghazzali

haviZsultan
04-22-2012, 08:50 AM
Imran Khan-Pakistan: A personal history.

کیش
05-09-2012, 10:52 AM
http://nighthawknews.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/mastermargarita.jpg

al-arab
05-09-2012, 12:10 PM
Boring chemical engineering (this time) material for my exams:(

یاسمینه
05-09-2012, 02:56 PM
Political Leadership among Swat Pathans by Fredrik Barth
and
Afghanistan. Mortality Survey 2010.

کیش
05-14-2012, 11:41 PM
http://nighthawknews.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/mastermargarita.jpg

This book contained outstanding prose. The way Bulgakov brought two different time periods and made it work was genius. I also adore the cover, gotta love Behemoth the black cat :evilgrin:

This book am currently reading is also pretty good; obviously Coelho can write a good short novel.

http://arvee.com.my/prestashop/840-large/the-devil-and-miss-prym.jpg

یاسمینه
05-15-2012, 01:30 PM
This captivating book provides a highly topical guide to one of the most critically important places on the globe – both today and throughout history, and is essential reading for anyone seeking a fuller context for the current situation in the region. As the symbolic gateway between both East and West, and North and South, this book presents to the reader the extraordinarily rich heritage of a country that is one of the great cultural and artistic melting pots of the world.

While the modern nation can trace its origins back to 1747, the history of Afghanistan is far more ancient. It has long been an ancient focal point of the Silk Road and human migration. While many native peoples such as the Kushans, Samanids, Saffarids and Mughals have founded their empires here, the country has also been the target of numerous invasions. Afghanistan is therefore one of the most culturally rich and diverse places on Earth. This lively book places this rich and ancient seam of creativity in its broad historical context and offers the reader a full appreciation of this remarkable country. Afghanistan: A Cultural History is illustrated with a vast range of objects, ancient and modern – from carpets, clothing and textiles, to glass, jewellery, gold and metalwork, from striking sculpture and architecture to beautiful paintings and writing.

یاسمینه
05-15-2012, 01:32 PM
This book introduces and explores textiles from Afghanistan from the late 19th and early 20th centuries, including the remarkable embroidery of the surrounding regions of Pashtun, Tajik, Hazara, Baluch, Lakai Uzbek and Turkmen, reflecting the nomadic heritage of the area.

The embroidered items range from dowry goods, precious holders for personal possessions, lovely costumes and items for the home, yurt and domestic animals. Unique techniques such as intricate stitchwork and the use of particular materials, motifs and symbolism will be explored with up-close and inspiring photographs. Examples include a stunning new textile collection recently acquired by the British Museum.

The book also examines the impact of political conflict on the creation of embroidery. While women were exempt from schools and employment, embroidery output increased, but since the demise of the Taliban regime, women have enjoyed greater freedoms outside of the home. The author investigates this theme of tradition and change to present a fascinating overview of the topic.

Al Hanif
05-15-2012, 02:01 PM
since the demise of the Taliban regime, women have enjoyed greater freedoms outside of the home.

I like how everything you post is so biased.

I can't wait until the Day of Judgment.

Everything you write and everything you say will count.

You never mention how much evil this war has brought.

Afghanistan2010
05-15-2012, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by Yasmeenaah http://www.pashtunforums.com/images/bluesaint/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.pashtunforums.com/showthread.php?p=607775#post607775)
since the demise of the Taliban regime, women have enjoyed greater freedoms outside of the home.

New released reports said,that within the Obama government women rights are the last issue regarding afghanistan to talk about,it was just propaganda.

faye
05-15-2012, 08:17 PM
I like how everything you post is so biased.

I can't wait until the Day of Judgment.

Everything you write and everything you say will count.

You never mention how much evil this war has brought.
lol, alf and 2010 are so funny:rofl1: like you are both morally superior, representatives of allah, making judgements on gods behalf.
you remind me of christians i have encountered, who behave like that.

Afghanistan2010
05-16-2012, 03:31 AM
lol, alf and 2010 are so funny:rofl1: like you are both morally superior, representatives of allah, making judgements on gods behalf.
you remind me of christians i have encountered, who behave like that.

I just posted newly released information on the obama government,i don't see anything related to superiority.

faye
05-16-2012, 07:02 AM
I just posted newly released information on the obama government,i don't see anything related to superiority.
"he who see with one eye
only use half of brain" [ancient chinese saying];)

haviZsultan
05-17-2012, 11:21 AM
Wandering Falcon by Jamil Ahmed.

faye
05-17-2012, 10:51 PM
'the eternal validity of the soul' a seth book, by jane roberts.
'inside muslim minds' by riaz hassan
'dakshin' vegetarian cuisine from south india' by chandra padmanabhan

کیش
05-18-2012, 01:04 AM
http://rorymarriott.com/library/images/After%20the%20prophet_%20the%20epic%20story%20of%2 0the%20Shia-Sunni%20split%20in%20Islam%20-%20Lesley%20Hazleton.jpg

good etic non-fiction

کیش
05-24-2012, 11:17 PM
http://covers.openlibrary.org/w/id/285861-M.jpg

یاسمینه
05-25-2012, 02:27 AM

کیش
05-30-2012, 10:07 PM
http://covers.openlibrary.org/w/id/285861-M.jpg

Almost done with this novel. Baldacci isn't the best writer in the world but what makes him a geniues is creating several sub-plots and connecting them with the main plot. This was also his first book which netted him $2,000,000 and Clint Eastwood as the main lead. That's awesome :jeez:

But I also snuck back into the library for some non-fiction fun, and another fiction

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61l7LU9t1cL._SL500_.jpg

http://imagesc.btol.com/ContentCafe/Jacket.aspx?UserID=ContentCafeClient&Password=Client&Return=T&Type=L&Value=9781250000927

:shy:

یاسمینه
06-04-2012, 05:03 PM
about Pashto poetry
and
Persian - English dictionary by Steingass - indispensable dictionary when I try to read old Pashto poetry.

یاسمینه
07-11-2012, 07:28 PM
Finally I'm reading something in Polish

کیش
07-11-2012, 11:34 PM
Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/f3/bd/a33290b809a0a21707a07110.L.jpg

Cervantes writing, oh wow :whistling:

faye
07-12-2012, 04:39 AM
islamic imperialism by efraim karsh.

Tjanaparh
07-12-2012, 09:40 AM
The Kafirs of Hindu Kush by George Scott Robertson

یاسمینه
09-05-2012, 07:47 AM

faye
09-05-2012, 10:23 AM
the nature of personal reality. j roberts.

badmash_khel
09-11-2012, 01:02 PM
Just read "Metamorphisis" by Franz kafka, a short story book. Quite surreal and dark and kind of absurd.

Now reading "Brave New World" Aldous Leonard Huxley.

faye
09-11-2012, 05:24 PM
hahaha.. i read these in the 60's or 70's, badmash. franz kafka was really strange.
seth speaks by j. roberts. description of how reality is created. very interesting.

DaZahroJaam.
10-08-2012, 08:33 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4f/SnowFallingOnCedars.jpg

Afghanistan2010
10-08-2012, 09:47 AM
convex functions and inequalities from a prof.

کیش
10-16-2012, 10:18 PM
No boring and depressing books here. Only the extinction of Fiction: A Game of Thrones series.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-L-79Dv50xmc/T3XO5Xh_sZI/AAAAAAAAAlo/snyqNOIEr10/s1600/game-of-thrones-the-story-continues-a-song-of-ice-and-fire-volumes-1-4-a-game-of-thrones-a-clash-of-kings-a-storm-of-swo.jpg

کیش
01-29-2013, 11:43 PM
Bring this thread back to life with some non-fiction this time.

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4679741412017737&pid=15.1

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/516P995FZTL._SS500_.jpg

pashtanajan
01-30-2013, 02:45 AM
I'm currently reading some non-fiction books, mostly philosophical. I love philosophy, lol. I'm reading some of Nietzsche's work right now, but though I comprehend some of his notions and may somewhat agree with them, most of what he says I disagree with and find that he's quite pessimistic.

I'm also re-reading the Secret Garden. I first stumbled on it when I was a child and it was the first written work that ignited in me a passion for writing. Though the book is meant for children, it is quite an enjoyable read nonetheless, and the vocabulary - the book being written in the Victorian era - is much more intricate than of most novels today.

I'm also reading some Stephen King books, but I find that much of his writing doesn't serve his plot. For instance, in one of his books that I'm reading, there are roughly two pages filled with large paragraphs on how this certain lamp looks.

DaZahroJaam.
03-24-2013, 09:44 PM
http://img.dooyoo.co.uk/GB_EN/orig/0/5/9/2/6/592644.jpg

Kushan Prince
03-24-2013, 10:28 PM
I don't read -_-

Afgun
03-25-2013, 12:50 PM
I am reading THE KITE RUNNER. It is full of lies

Manzareh
03-25-2013, 01:02 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-lMbqWVsSZBQ/TptbWg0kMMI/AAAAAAAAAjc/Goq8D1np0l0/s1600/Untitled.png

torkham
03-25-2013, 01:14 PM
Black Swan by Nassim Taleb.

Shehbaz Khan
03-25-2013, 02:02 PM
The Zahir

Hallo
03-25-2013, 02:29 PM
I watched only the movie the same s h i t.
As I know he is gonna to public his third book.

Kushan Prince
03-25-2013, 05:39 PM

I hate that book. Everyone that knows I'm afghan came up to me and said if that s h I t was true. A book filled with lies and hatred for Pashtuns by mr hosseni.

Afgun
03-25-2013, 09:35 PM
I hate that book. Everyone that knows I'm afghan came up to me and said if that s h I t was true. A book filled with lies and hatred for Pashtuns by mr hosseni. I get bored while reading it we have to read it in school I always get bored reading lies

Hallo
03-25-2013, 09:39 PM
I get bored while reading it we have to read it in school I always get bored reading lies
i'm sorry for you that you have to read this s h i t in the school

Afgun
03-25-2013, 09:45 PM
i'm sorry for you that you have to read this s h i t in the school
there was voting between this and Julius Caesar but I dont know why everyone voted for this stupid book

Hallo
03-25-2013, 10:00 PM
there was voting between this and Julius Caesar but I dont know why everyone voted for this stupid book
have you tried to explain your class why not to read this book? and how do you work with this book in the lesson?

Afgun
03-25-2013, 10:03 PM
have you tried to explain your class why not to read this book? and how do you work with this book in the lesson?
NO I have not. In lessons everyday we do something new

Hallo
03-26-2013, 01:40 AM
NO I have not. In lessons everyday we do something new
:sad1:
so they even not discussing about the book

SiiNii
03-26-2013, 03:04 AM

This was one of the stupidest novels I've ever read!

Here are the main points of the book:
1. The Taliban are ass-raping, Pashtun Nazis
2. It's ok to be a coward, the forces of good will save you in the form of a little boy with a sling shot.

What annoyed me the most was that this book did not feature:
1. Any background on the Afghan civil war
2. Cultural hardships faced by refugees from civil war
3. Background of Taliban
4. Pashtunwali

My recollection of the story might be slightly blurred since I read it four years ago while waiting to go home from Iraq.

Hallo
03-26-2013, 06:38 AM

2. It's ok to be a coward, the forces of good will save you in the form of a little boy with a sling shot.

3. Background of Taliban
4. Pashtunwali

My recollection of the story might be slightly blurred since I read it four years ago while waiting to go home from Iraq.

i sign it:thumbsup:

Badlun
03-26-2013, 12:16 PM
This is really an eye opener book. Great reading

THE AGE OF REASON
by Thomas Paine

I PUT the following work under your protection. It contains my
opinions upon Religion. You will do me the justice to remember, that I
have always strenuously supported the Right of every Man to his own
opinion, however different that opinion might be to mine. He who
denies to another this right, makes a slave of himself to his
present opinion, because he precludes himself the right of changing
it.
The most formidable weapon against errors of every kind is Reason.
I have never used any other, and I trust I never shall.

Afgun
03-26-2013, 01:00 PM

3. Background of Taliban
4. Pashtunwali

It also lies about how the Sunnis tortured the Shia

Badlun
04-01-2013, 04:38 PM
Great great great book I am reading these days

THE ANTICHRIST
by Friedrich Nietzsche

This book belongs to the most rare of men. Perhaps not one of them is yet alive. It is possible that they may be among those who understand my "Zarathustra": how could I confound myself with those who are now sprouting ears?‐‐First the day after tomorrow must come for me. Some men are born posthumously.

The conditions under which any one understands me, and necessarily understands me‐‐I know them only too well. Even to endure my seriousness, my passion, he must carry intellectual integrity to the verge of hardness. He must be accustomed to living on mountain tops‐‐and to looking upon the wretched gabble of politics and nationalism as
beneath him. He must have become indifferent; he must never ask of the truth whether it brings profit to him or a fatality to him... He must have an inclination, born of strength, for questions that no one has the courage for; the courage for the forbidden;

predestination for the labyrinth. The experience of seven solitudes. New ears for new music. New eyes for what is most distant. A new conscience for truths that have hitherto remained unheard. And the will to economize in the grand manner‐‐to hold together his strength, his enthusiasm...Reverence for self; love of self; absolute freedom
of self.....

Very well, then! of that sort only are my readers, my true readers, my readers foreordained: of what account are the rest?‐‐The rest are merely humanity.‐‐One must make one's self superior to humanity, in power, in loftiness of soul,‐‐in contempt.

FRIEDRICH W. NIETZSCHE.

badmash_khel
04-02-2013, 07:56 PM
Found Nietzsche extremely hard to read but I still want to read his other book "Beyond good and evil"

Reading Alchemy of happiness by Al Ghazali for the umpteenth time.

DaZahroJaam.
05-20-2013, 02:07 AM
http://img2.imagesbn.com/p/2940014391191_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

DaZahroJaam.
06-10-2013, 03:02 AM
http://images.betterworldbooks.com/007/Crimes-Against-Logic-9780071446433.jpg

DaZahroJaam.
06-11-2013, 08:19 PM
http://s77.n15.n84.n66.static.myhostcenter.com/literature/english/wilde/Untitled-56.jpg

DaZahroJaam.
06-26-2013, 12:57 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-E_3a9_w45-U/Tk5wRGGIOlI/AAAAAAAAAqw/zEtceCqsfiU/s1600/Our+Mutual+Friend.jpg

Haris
07-03-2013, 07:17 PM
http://p.playserver1.com/ProductImages/2/1/0/1/1/9/8/1/18911012_300x300_1.jpg

Really nice historical fiction.
Started reading the series of books by Simon Scarrow around five years ago.
Highly recommend it.

Also

http://s10.postimg.org/q8d2i18i1/cosmos.jpg

Bought it last year but didn't find the time to read it.
Very interesting stuff.

کیش
07-03-2013, 09:50 PM
1) Origins and Early Development in Shi'a Islam (Arab Background Series)*[Hardcover]
By; Hussein Jafri

2)Title The legacy of Jihad : Islamic Holy war and the fate of non-Muslims / edited by Andrew G. Bostom with a foreword by Ibn Warraq.

ImprintAmherst, NY : Prometheus Books, 2005.Descriptionxiv, 759 p. ; 24 cm.

Just finished:

Author; Pasha, Kamran.

Title: Mother of the believers : a novel of the birth of Islam / Kamran Pasha.

ImprintNew York : Washington Square Press, c2009.Descriptionxiv, 527 p. ; 23 cm.

If you cant tell by the latest books I've beem reading, I'm working on a novel about the history of the Islamic leadership after the death of the Nabi.

کیش
07-03-2013, 09:56 PM
That's not even funny. It will be a historical fiction mixed with a Game of Thrones. Inshallah

کیش
07-03-2013, 10:26 PM
It's not an islamic book persay. I'm planning to start right when the Prophet dies, so basically the Nabi will not be in the book.

Major characters are"
Ali ibn abi Talib, Fatima, Hassan and Hussein.
Aisha, Talha and Zubayr
Abu Bakr, and the war of the apostasy.
Umar' brutal and peacefull conquest of Sham
Uthmans Khilafah with his Ummayad influences.

Don't wanna give away anymore. I haven't started yet, but I've been reading, studying this timelines from every book that is available.

BTW

Game of Thrones took the idea of Englands War of the Roses, where families united with other families to control the throne of England.

Westeros=== England.

The North === Irish and Scottish.

Beyond the wall == The artic circlr and greenland.

DaZahroJaam.
07-11-2013, 10:07 AM
^ i don't think the prophet's life and fiction mix together that well.

http://lindajomartin.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/the-sound-and-the-fury-william-faulkner.jpg

DaZahroJaam.
07-13-2013, 09:37 AM
it's a little book with less than hundred pages. it took me about an hour to finish reading it. it's the most meaningful children's book you will ever read...

SiiNii
07-13-2013, 10:22 PM
How to simplify your life by Küstenmacher

tor_khan
07-14-2013, 02:36 PM
On my iPad/phone - World War Z by Max Brooks.

Otherwise, I am reading chapters and verses from the Qu'ran.

Hallo
07-14-2013, 03:37 PM
On my iPad/phone - World War Z by Max Brooks.

Otherwise, I am reading chapters and verses from the Qu'ran.
you should read out aloud for me:banana:

Haris
07-15-2013, 06:58 PM
http://www.elrst.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/red_mars.jpg

DaZahroJaam.
07-19-2013, 07:16 PM
^ i don't think the prophet's life and fiction mix together that well.

http://lindajomartin.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/the-sound-and-the-fury-william-faulkner.jpg

i am quiting this book. it's a pain in the hind. i have been trying to read it for the last two weeks and have only managed to get pass 60 lousy pages. all i remember is something about someone walking in the moon light and some clock that is constantly ticking.
if anyone has or doe end up reading it, do share your opinions of it with me.

Nazar
07-21-2013, 03:51 PM
Do you guys really read these super-fat novels which by the end of the day, are fictitious?

DaZahroJaam.
07-22-2013, 12:32 AM
i can't stand non fiction. it's like torture for me.

Haris
07-22-2013, 12:14 PM
What does it matter if its fictitious?
I like reading fiction because you can escape reality for a while and just enjoy yourself.

If you can only enjoy yourself through non-fiction then good for you but you are missing out on a lot.

I always recommend people (especially children) to read fiction because not only would it subconsciously improve their English skills (grammar, vocabulary etc) it also improves their creativity.

I read plenty of books in my school years and as a result, English was by far my easiest subject - I had A*'s in my literature, language & history coursework and my friends would always ask me to give them help & read over their work. It is no coincidence that those friends hated reading books and never did so in their free time.

That legacy remains today as I am easily able to write quality essays on a range of subjects with correct grammar, spelling, punctuation & vocabulary. Even on these forums, you'd be hard-pressed to find any sentence written by me without good English, even when i'm trying to be casual - it's a habit and a good one at that.

Lifelong skills learnt simply from an early interest in fiction.

badmash_khel
07-22-2013, 08:20 PM
I enjoy both fiction and non fiction. Sometimes there is more wisdom in fiction than non fiction. Fiction shouldn't be dismissed as childish.

کیش
07-23-2013, 12:12 AM
Fiction is awesome as you learn equally if not more from than a non-fiction book.

I'm currently reading Ken Follet's "The Pillars of the Earth" which is roughly 1,000 hardcover pages. It deals with an medieval British cathedral with the lives of monks, priests, and archdeacons.

Nazar
07-24-2013, 03:37 PM
What does it matter if its fictitious?
I like reading fiction because you can escape reality for a while and just enjoy yourself.

If you can only enjoy yourself through non-fiction then good for you but you are missing out on a lot.

I always recommend people (especially children) to read fiction because not only would it subconsciously improve their English skills (grammar, vocabulary etc) it also improves their creativity.

I read plenty of books in my school years and as a result, English was by far my easiest subject - I had A*'s in my literature, language & history coursework and my friends would always ask me to give them help & read over their work. It is no coincidence that those friends hated reading books and never did so in their free time.

That legacy remains today as I am easily able to write quality essays on a range of subjects with correct grammar, spelling, punctuation & vocabulary. Even on these forums, you'd be hard-pressed to find any sentence written by me without good English, even when i'm trying to be casual - it's a habit and a good one at that.

Lifelong skills learnt simply from an early interest in fiction.

You are absolutely right. Reading novels or any kind of books improve one's writing skills. It also gives you a distinctive writing style if you read many books from the same author.
Btw, you just reminded me a funny story that happened to me when I was in 10th grade. I would like share it with you.
One of my friends recommended me reading English novels to improve my English skills. I went to a Kabarri Bazaar and bought a very fat novel, which I can't remember it's name. It had a photo of a cross drawn on it's cover. The day after, when I came back home from the outside, my schoolbag was emptied and all the books spread out on the floor including that novel. And my father was staring at me like I had committed a very serious crime. The next thing I remember was a big slap on my face.
My nephew had told my dad that I was reading Da Essayano Quran! :cryy:
From that day I said goodbye to reading novels.

DaZahroJaam.
07-27-2013, 03:46 AM
Brother Kaamazov by Foydor Dostoevsky. It has been translated from Russian but it must have been written very well as the writers style is very admirable and unique. Can't flip a single page with out laughing at least once..

Hallo
08-06-2013, 07:21 AM
Brother Kaamazov by Foydor Dostoevsky. It has been translated from Russian but it must have been written very well as the writers style is very admirable and unique. Can't flip a single page with out laughing at least once..
Brother Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky

http://www.planetpdf.com/planetpdf/pdfs/free_ebooks/The_Brothers_Karamazov_NT.pdf

you can find entire russsian literature on web

movies too
the karamazov brothers 2008 english subtitles. 1 Episode - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuQTWWFuS-4)

DaZahroJaam.
08-07-2013, 09:36 PM
i could care less for russian literature. i like the sarcastic and dramatic tone that foyder uses in his writing.

http://4umi.com/image/book/gibran/smile-cover.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1150866_10201271340259873_1113680915_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1149054_10201271339819862_182488520_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/556756_10201271340979891_2037833147_n.jpg

کیش
08-08-2013, 12:01 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51tkcSAhSDL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

The Master and Margarita is the best Russian literature ever written,

Haris
08-19-2013, 09:20 PM
http://www.elrst.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/red_mars.jpg

Simultaneously the most boring and most interesting book i've ever read (though I didn't actually finish it and probably won't either).

کیش
08-19-2013, 09:49 PM
I'm putting off novels for a while. I need to read screenplays so I could improve my screen playing writing. The one I wrote a few years ago was horribly amateurish.

DaZahroJaam.
08-29-2013, 07:22 AM
http://readinginbeddotcom.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/the-idiot.jpg

DaZahroJaam.
09-07-2013, 12:20 PM
Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie

badmash_khel
09-07-2013, 02:36 PM
i could care less for russian literature. i like the sarcastic and dramatic tone that foyder uses in his writing.

http://4umi.com/image/book/gibran/smile-cover.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1150866_10201271340259873_1113680915_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1149054_10201271339819862_182488520_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/556756_10201271340979891_2037833147_n.jpg

How did you find it?

DaZahroJaam.
09-07-2013, 02:51 PM
It was a birthday gift. Probably some bookstore in Boston.

badmash_khel
09-07-2013, 02:53 PM
It was a birthday gift. Probably some bookstore in Boston.

:rofl1: Didn't know you were a comedian as well.

I meant how was the books? as in good, bad, boring?

DaZahroJaam.
09-07-2013, 03:20 PM
It's a collection of short stories that can be read in four or five minutes. Most of them are about life and death but being the genius that he was, he leads the reader to a state of and peace and contentedness with the harshest realities of life. One of my favourites from my shelf so yeah, I liked it.

Haris
09-08-2013, 09:08 PM
The Epic of Gilgamesh

Haris
09-17-2013, 03:15 PM
http://covers.booktopia.com.au/big/9780007420070/the-prince.jpg

$hiva
09-18-2013, 02:11 PM

I have never read that book, although its highly recommended.

Kochagasht
09-20-2013, 06:39 PM
Understanding Power: The Indispensable Chomsky

http://www.hidebuzz.us/browse.php?u=Oi8vd3d3LnBhc2h0dW5mb3J1bXMuY29tLyZxd W90O2h0dHA6Ly9lY3guaW1hZ2VzLWFtYXpvbi5jb20vaW1hZ2V zL0kvNjEwcWtLejQtMEwuX0JPMiwyMDQsMjAzLDIwMF9QSXNpd GItc3RpY2tlci1hcnJvdy1jbGljayxUb3BSaWdodCwzNSwtNzZ fU1gzODVfU1k1MDBfQ1IsMCwwLDM4NSw1MDBfU0gyMF9PVTAyX y5qcGcmcXVvdDs%3D&b=5
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/610qkKz4-0L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX385_SY500_CR,0,0,385,500_SH20_OU02_.jpg

کیش
09-20-2013, 10:44 PM
http://escapepod.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/us_11-22-63_cover__span.jpg

I've been waiting for this baby to come to the library for a minute.

کیش
09-20-2013, 10:46 PM

I've felt that this book was highly boring.

یاسمینه
09-27-2013, 07:27 AM
This is a study of an almost inaccessible area of the intricate linguistic fabric of Afghanistan - namely, its secret codes of communication. The text draws on a profound knowledge of Afghanistan and neighbouring regions, as well as the cultural and sociolinguistic processes at work across Eurasia. The author situates these sociolinguistic matters within the appropriate diachronic and comparative background, and traces the numerous threads which connect them to areas both close to and distant from Afghanistan. The book will be of great interest to scholars from a wide range of disciplines, including, but extending beyond, the realms of linguistics, cultural history, and sociology. It will also be of practical value in many areas, notably with regards to military and political issues, as well as humanitarian aid.

badmash_khel
11-10-2013, 02:40 PM
Mantiq al-Tayyar (Conference of the Birds) - Fariduddin Attar

Just started reading this. I wish I could read classical Farsi, the english translation can not do justice this literary masterpiece.

DaZahroJaam.
01-25-2014, 04:11 PM
http://www.toptenbooks.net/sites/default/files/Moon%20and%20Sixpence.jpg

DaZahroJaam.
02-28-2014, 02:26 AM
http://img1.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/c0/c3415.jpg

DaZahroJaam.
03-10-2014, 07:59 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_j8C91pP_HNE/TT4PxHVOl4I/AAAAAAAAACw/54IdRugvce8/s1600/Faust%2BGoethe.jpg

mayan
03-15-2014, 10:53 AM
I am Reading da Rehman Dewwan
and i got all history about Rehman baba with help this book,

Rehman baba says

Daulat o khushal dwra zama ghulaman de
Za "Rehman" da khpaley jabey alamgir yama

this poetry on 1st page in rehman baba book

DaZahroJaam.
03-29-2014, 12:29 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-I_uiyMAg2-0/UEj8ZnOj_8I/AAAAAAAAAnw/psAGgTmO1HE/s1600/The+Painted+Veil.jpg

DaZahroJaam.
05-09-2014, 07:22 PM
he writes so well..

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71AhSk%2BibkL.jpg

https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/p350x350/10302552_10203182416315580_6566125072171604178_n.j pg

DaZahroJaam.
06-01-2014, 07:36 AM
surprisingly interesting. very very interesting.

https://scontent-a-sin.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/t1.0-9/10388998_10203335538223532_4167548315874498587_n.j pg

tor_khan
06-02-2014, 01:27 PM
^Bought, loaned or downloaded?

Rawanshenas
06-04-2014, 02:17 PM
^Bought, loaned or downloaded?

Who cares, as long as it worked... Salaam.

DaZahroJaam.
07-25-2014, 07:26 PM
read

http://wonkomance.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/PersianBoyUS.jpg

http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1251154071l/1075035.jpg

reading

http://images.contentreserve.com/ImageType-100/0211-1/%7B75B42633-1140-4622-8CF2-5590647C5D24%7DImg100.jpg

DaZahroJaam.
09-01-2014, 01:45 AM
http://www.openbooktoronto.com/sites/default/files/obt/files/images/fine_balance.jpg

DaZahroJaam.
09-07-2014, 07:42 PM
^ if any of you ever come across that book, i suggest you read it. normally i forget most of the plot of a book that i read within four to five months but i don't think i will ever forget this one.

now i am reading this.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61EPSNpm8YL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg