View Full Version : Language guessing game

Hakim Khan Urgonai
07-19-2012, 12:47 PM
"Kofir an wuz witk ane yem zhu Khudoi nahst yiu."

I won't spoil it for you.

500 intellect points to whoever can find out what it means and in which language.

Hakim Khan Urgonai
07-19-2012, 01:55 PM
So no geniuses yet?

My money's on Yasmeenah and DMXX, since they are more educated about these things.

faye
07-19-2012, 02:08 PM
you made that one up. speaking in tongues. it means absolutely zilch. i can talk like that and sing like that, lol. it's real easy.

Hakim Khan Urgonai
07-19-2012, 02:12 PM
you made that one up. speaking in tongues. it means absolutely zilch. i can talk like that and sing like that, lol. it's real easy.

No.

:imwithstupid:

faye
07-19-2012, 02:15 PM
you're just saying that because i held out on the secret knowledge.:laugh1:

faye
07-19-2012, 02:17 PM
guess this -"guten nacht!"

Hakim Khan Urgonai
07-19-2012, 02:20 PM
you're just saying that because i held out on the secret knowledge.:laugh1:

What knowledge? If you had any, you would share it.

guess this -"guten nacht!"

German, my least favorite Euro langauge. I prefer Dutch.

faye
07-19-2012, 02:32 PM
ever had chips with mayonnaise like in holland? i just saw a picture of some and now i have to go to town tomorrow to buy some.

Hakim Khan Urgonai
07-19-2012, 02:37 PM
ever had chips with mayonnaise like in holland? i just saw a picture of some and now i have to go to town tomorrow to buy some.

See, this is proof of your falsehood.

You say you live in Australia, how can you go and buy chips with mayonnaise like those in Holland from town?

I have caught you red-handed, Ashkenazi.

faye
07-19-2012, 02:44 PM
lol, you think we don't have chips and mayonnaise in oz. i shouldn't be telling you this, as it's secret kowledge but..yes,we do.not as good as the pomme frits met mayonnaise in amsterdam, though.

Hakim Khan Urgonai
07-19-2012, 02:47 PM
lol, you think we don't have chips and mayonnaise in oz. i shouldn't be telling you this, as it's secret kowledge but..yes,we do.not as good as the pomme frits met mayonnaise in amsterdam, though.

Obviously, I am immitating forum member's behaviour.

RevolutionThroughReason
07-20-2012, 12:12 AM
Faye's got the hots for you Hakim, damn ....what a hussy, first she was trying to seduce me now she's after you

یاسمینه
07-20-2012, 09:18 AM
For sure it is not Bannutsei :)
Seriously - I don't know. To me it looks like mix of Dari Kabuli, Pashto and Urdu.

torkham
07-20-2012, 06:04 PM

I won't spoil it for you.

500 intellect points to whoever can find out what it means and in which language.

My guesses:

Wakhi/pamiri or
Hazaragi

Hakim Khan Urgonai
07-20-2012, 10:12 PM
My guesses:

Wakhi/pamiri or
Hazaragi

Its Wakhi. How did you know?

Hakim Khan Urgonai
07-20-2012, 10:12 PM
For sure it is not Bannutsei :)
Seriously - I don't know. To me it looks like mix of Dari Kabuli, Pashto and Urdu.

Its Wakhi, it does sound like a mix of them.

torkham
07-20-2012, 10:33 PM
Its Wakhi. How did you know?

Elementary my dear urgunai Jan, matter of simple deduction.

Persian words mostly, very few Pashto words, not regular Dari, Farsi or Pashto, there fore a dialect. Choices eliminated to wakhi and hazaragi.

:smoke:

Hakim Khan Urgonai
07-20-2012, 10:49 PM
Elementary my dear urgunai Jan, matter of simple deduction.

Persian words mostly, very few Pashto words, not regular Dari, Farsi or Pashto, there fore a dialect. Choices eliminated to wakhi and hazaragi.

:smoke:

But still, Wakhi out of all Persian-like languages.
How do you know what Wakhi is? Not many know.

Tjanaparh
07-21-2012, 05:54 AM

Why not, Wakhi is at leat a known language, even You can find litreture on it.

I wouldn't be able to identify it , but to mi it soundet to like one of the Pamirian languages. Only the translation misses. I think here in the forum we have only a Shughni speaker.

torkham
07-21-2012, 11:12 AM

"Boyaka Sha! I is read, and therefore I knows a bit of deez languages, da roots, . . . . aye"

Rest is deduction. Languages similar to Farsi to incorporate the vocabulary you provided in the sample text: Dari(to extent tajiki), hazaragi, and of wakhi.

:smile1:

DMXX
07-26-2012, 06:40 AM

Without viewing any of the other messages posted so far;

"Khudoi" sounds like an equivalent to the root Proto-Indo-Iranian name for God (Persian = "Khodah"), which I believe stems from the Proto-Indo-European word for veneration or give prayer.

Other than that, "nahst" resembles common Indo-European for "no" (German = "nicht", Persian = "nist").

"Wuz" is suspiciously close to the Persian word for "ruz" (similar root to Kurdish "roj", or sun, itself originating from the PIE word for rotations/wheel).

Finally, the word "Kofir" there looks like a regionalisation of the word "Kafir", or non-believer, from Arabic.

It's definitely not a West Iranic language, but I'd hazzard it's an East Iranic language that isn't Avestan or Pashto. My knowledge beyond that is limited. I'd also speculate the sentence has something to do with religion, possibly; "Non-believers do not observe the day because they have no God"?

Tell me how close I am!