View Full Version : Army ready to forgo Military Hardware for Economic Boost

Talal
03-26-2010, 07:07 PM
I have bceome a fan of this man, starting from day 1 he has pulled this country out of this bottomless pit and has put Pakistan back on the right track. A man who is not only hailed across pakistan as a hero, but whose policies have earned him respect from allies and enemies alike. The best thing that could have happened to Pakistan.

Army ready to forgo Military Hardware for Economic Boost (http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect/dawn-content-library/dawn/the-newspaper/front-page/army-ready-to-forgo-hardware%2C-focus-on-energy-needs-kayani-630)

WASHINGTON: Army chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani said on Thursday that the military was willing to forgo its requests for hardware to ensure that Pakistan’s energy and economic needs were met.

At a briefing at the Pakistan Embassy, Gen Kayani also said that there had been a marked change in the US attitude towards Pakistan because of the army’s success in South Waziristan and Swat.

“I told Senator John Kerry and Senator Richard Lugar that in order to make sure that Pakistan’s economy and energy needs are met, we are willing to forgo the military equipment that we have asked for,” he said.

“The most important concerns for Pakistan today are economy and energy and we have emphasised that with the American administration that these are the needs that need to be met,” he added.

Gen Kayani met the two senators earlier this week when he arrived in Washington for the two-day strategic dialogue, which concluded on Thursday.

Everyone agrees on strategic direction of country: Kayani (http://www.thenews.com.pk/top_story_detail.asp?Id=27982)

washington: Pakistan Army chief Gen Kayani has said he has told US lawmakers that if the US helps correct Pakistan’s economic and power issues, we would not require anything else and would be able to take care of ourselves.

Speaking to the Pakistani community here at the Pakistan embassy on Thursday, Gen Kayani said: “Today Pakistan is being respected and listened to because the nation has fully backed the Pakistani armed forces”.

Kayani said that he told Senator Kerry that if the United States helps fix Pakistan’s power crisis and economy ‘“we are willing to forego our needs”. He said the Pakistan Army’s role was to implement the decisions taken by the political government. That was why he told the prime minister three days after he assumed office that “take a decision and we would implement it”.

Gen Kayani said we made it clear that Pakistan’s role would not only be of delivering. Pakistan has to be relevant and given equal importance” he added. He said no one should try to drive a wedge between the interests of the Pakistan Army and others because we have one priority which is Pakistan. He said today every one including the Pakistan Army agrees on the strategic direction of the country against terrorism.

BLS_1919v2.0
03-26-2010, 08:55 PM
Well after all the money they stole from the country for their adventurism, it is nice to see they give some back to regular plebs. We will have to wait and see, Pakistan's military industrial complex isn't about to minimize any time soon. Oh and btw lol@ the wedge thing..as if the army hasn't done that themselves. lolzz

Talal
03-26-2010, 09:01 PM
^
trolling is appreciated, next time come back with some substance other than snide remarks

BLS_1919v2.0
03-26-2010, 09:03 PM
How is it trolling? This is a reality that the army has taken more from the state budget and in fact an undue amount. It's history is well known and believe me it hasn't done Pakistan any good. Its treatment of Baloch today, 1965 operation gilbralter, 71, etc...the list goes on.

Talal
03-26-2010, 09:14 PM
How is it trolling? This is a reality that the army has taken more from the state budget and in fact an undue amount. It's history is well known and believe me it hasn't done Pakistan any good. Its treatment of Baloch today, 1965 operation gilbralter, 71, etc...the list goes on.

Pakistan army's budget is 4.5% of its GDP(2006 estimate).. it has gone up significantly since then, and guess what all of that extra money was out into rooting out TTP and building infrastructure in these terror ridden areas..Pakistan needs to maintain effective deterrence to ward off India who is spending money left and right to sky rocket their defence capabilities.. i dont see the logic of this argument ?? what is a country supposed to do when it is flanked by terrorists on one side and a mortal enemy on the other. I dont intend to engage in a debate thats based on personal agenda so either provide some proof as to how/when and where the army has piggybacked the economy

Niazi
03-27-2010, 06:32 AM
^^^^and your napak army killed 61 civilin with carpet bombing
Pakhtons u troll .

Niazi
03-27-2010, 06:44 AM
http://news.antiwar.com/2010/03/25/pakistan-kills-61-in-orakzai-strikes/

Dinosaur Khan
03-27-2010, 07:07 AM
^The US drone attacks were more precise and targeted than these bombardments of pakistan.
The attack on tablighi markaz is first time i think.

Talal
03-27-2010, 06:15 PM
http://news.antiwar.com/2010/03/25/pakistan-kills-61-in-orakzai-strikes/

Get schooled kid

KALAYA: Military planes attacked militants’ hideouts in their stronghold of Mamozai and other areas in Upper Orakzai agency, killing 48 insurgents and injuring 29 on Thursday.

A senior security official put the death toll at 25 to 30 in the Mamozai bombing.

“The air strikes were carried out following specific reports that militants were hiding in the area. All those killed in the attack were militants hiding in a seminary,” the official said.

Six Taliban were killed and five injured in Dabori area and three hideouts were destroyed. Security personnel captured Mian Gul, a local Taliban commander. He was said to be in possession of 150 hand-grenades and other arms.

In mopping-up operations in Merobak and Ferozkhel areas in Lower Orakzai, security forces killed four insurgents. A soldier was injured in the operation.

Meanwhile, Taliban continued to fire rockets and mortar into the Kalaya, the regional headquarters, from Shereen Darra. A soldier was injured in the attack.

Six militants were killed and five others injured in air strikes in Dabori. Another four militants were killed in a clash with security forces in Merobak area. Security forces found three bodies in Sra Mela area. Two of the bodies were of tribal elders kidnapped by Taliban from Hangu.

Talal
03-27-2010, 06:16 PM
^The US drone attacks were more precise and targeted than these bombardments of pakistan.
The attack on tablighi markaz is first time i think.

All the drone attaks are coordinated by ISI so they have to be precise, ISI provides ground intel and predators let hell lose from above

BLS_1919v2.0
03-27-2010, 09:32 PM
You should read Ayesha Siddiqui's Army Inc. She meticulously researches the army and you will see how they have amassed an empire within the country. Second of all, you act as if Kiyani should be patted on his back for something that should be decided by the civilian government. It shouldn't be up to the Chief of Army staff to decide the guns and butter but rather the civilian government, budgetary committees, etc. Then again within Pakistan, the army has a state, and not the other way around.

Dinosaur Khan
03-27-2010, 09:49 PM
All the drone attaks are coordinated by ISI so they have to be precise, ISI provides ground intel and predators let hell lose from above

Then it means drone are superior than planes for precise targeting.
Pakistan had requested US for drone technology, what has happened, any response from US?

Talal
03-27-2010, 10:23 PM
Then it means drone are superior than planes for precise targeting.
Pakistan had requested US for drone technology, what has happened, any response from US?

No the reasons why drones are popular for fighting terrorists is because of the response time between gathered intel and then launching an attack. With gunships, by the time you recieve the intel and by the time they get to their designated targets the terrorists scramble so thats why its ineffective. Drones are much quiter, have a much greater loitering time and can immediately execute an attack when the intel is recieved

Pakistan has its own drone named Falco, Uqaab is another pakistani UCAV drone that is in development. Pakistan acquired shadow drones from the US and is in talks for acquiring the predator drones

Talal
03-27-2010, 10:24 PM
You should read Ayesha Siddiqui's Army Inc. She meticulously researches the army and you will see how they have amassed an empire within the country. Second of all, you act as if Kiyani should be patted on his back for something that should be decided by the civilian government. It shouldn't be up to the Chief of Army staff to decide the guns and butter but rather the civilian government, budgetary committees, etc. Then again within Pakistan, the army has a state, and not the other way around.

I dont have time to read random ramblings of some nutjob, but nevertheless if you do have any facts from that book of hers id be more than happy to debate

BLS_1919v2.0
03-27-2010, 10:29 PM
I am the nutjob? That is the problem, you super pakistani supporters never answer the question, rather you blame others lolzz. Look what I say still stands, and I am not your baby sitter, go find the book and read it. It has what I am talking about. The only nutjob are the likes of you. We are people from pashtunkhwa and we saw how the army and ISI played a double game...this is not only me who says this, but many others.

Talal
03-27-2010, 10:39 PM
I am the nutjob? That is the problem, you super pakistani supporters never answer the question, rather you blame others lolzz. Look what I say still stands, and I am not your baby sitter, go find the book and read it. It has what I am talking about. The only nutjob are the likes of you. We are people from pashtunkhwa and we saw how the army and ISI played a double game...this is not only me who says this, but many others.

then you should go join those others, last i heard TTP was still hiring

BLS_1919v2.0
03-28-2010, 12:58 AM
I have no intention of joining your dear army's and ISI's dogs. You brought the mess to our regions and now enjoy playing with this fire you created. Zama kho pa dae army heetss zraa na khugeegee che somra bae rahmee saraa zamung zaena ae thabaa krrl. If you play with fire, this is what you get, and your army will definitely be accountable for their double game in our region.

Talal
03-28-2010, 03:07 AM
Yeah Dogs have to be loyal, a test you'd have a lot of trouble passing

And again army is protecting its people and they've done a hell of a job sending these abominations to hell

BLS_1919v2.0
03-28-2010, 03:14 AM
Well I am not a dog, nor do I have a habit of cheering on those that have killed my people and ruined them your pak army included. Like I said, you are not from there, so I expect you say these things.

Talal
03-28-2010, 03:28 PM
Atleast I know where I am from

BLS_1919v2.0
03-28-2010, 03:51 PM
I know where I am from as well..that is why I know who I should be loyal to :-). Like I said there is in pashto something called Dddala...and pashutns know that, and as of now that is what I am doing.