View Full Version : Kirghiz Pastoral Nomads of the Afghan Pamirs ~ (N. M. Shahrani, 1976)

یاسمینه
03-23-2012, 05:36 PM
M. Nazif Shahrani, Kirghiz Pastoral Nomads of the Afghan Pamirs: An Ecological and Ethnographic Overview, 1976.

DMXX
03-25-2012, 05:18 AM
Thank you for posting this. I'll be sure to read this once I have the time.

The following questions arise in my mind;
- Is their economy purely pastoral? Any element of trade with neighbouring groups?
- When did the Pamiri Kyrgyz arrive in the region?
- Route of entry; through the Ferghana valley (most feasible geographically) or another?
- Extent to which their traditions are preserved?

These questions should hopefully be answered after reading.

یاسمینه
03-25-2012, 06:55 AM
Don;t forget that the paper was written years ago and that some facts may be outdated.
Their economy can't be pure pastoral. They live in the Little Pamir where are very difficult weather conditions. Most of areas is inacessible during the winter. They mainly bread horses (stallions, mares are to weak to survive winter) and yaks. What i find strange - there are some lakes with fish. But Kirghis aren't familiar with fishing and don't eat them. In the summer they go to Ishkashim to exchange goods, purchase food for winter etc ... I kow people who were there 40 years ago and 3 years ago. Time changed their mentality and they aren't as hospitable as they were.

BTW, if you want to discuss anything from kitabtoon, please make a new thread in other sections. We don't discuss in the library :)