View Full Version : "Exodus of the Wretched Souls" (On the loss of a friend)

Roshina
06-14-2010, 06:17 PM
Exodus of the Wretched Souls

Welcome the exodus of the wretched souls!
When living life becomes an option
And death becomes the first resort
All faith in humanity is lost
What is life when there is no more life?
When the flames of hell appeal to the soul
More than does the calm of a non-existent paradise
When the heart has seen enough serenity
And hell repels it, but it repels heaven
When the darkness of the sun pervades the spirit of humanity
Let the heart amble with the aimless
Let it float in the hollows of our memories
Let it stumble on the pieces of callous human flesh
Humanity does not exist
The well of life has dried up
Welcome the exodus of the wretched souls.

~ Qrratugai
June 14th 2010

Roshina
06-14-2010, 06:49 PM
Thanks, Timbaktu! Very kind of you to say, wrora!

Levanaye Zalmaye
06-15-2010, 12:40 AM
Who so serious? =(

pekhawar
06-15-2010, 12:43 AM
Thanks for sharing

Musafira
06-15-2010, 10:17 AM
I love the poem but to be honest I am not sure what it is about. Is it about suicide?

Khan Gul
06-15-2010, 03:54 PM
I love the poem but to be honest I am not sure what it is about. Is it about suicide?

The same goes for me too.:banghead:

Roshina
06-15-2010, 04:09 PM
Thanks, folks!
Lewani Zalmiya, 'cause being serious is part of life, kana, unfortunately.

Pekhawar, not a problem!

Lewanai Anjalai, lol ... sa owaim, marey. It's not about suicide (my suicide, anyway! yikes!). It's about the death of a friend, the departure of a soul -- exodus from one to another -- the loss of faith in humanity over all . . . and so on. I'm not likely to write a suicide poem and share it in public, btw, lol.

Khan Gula, give it some more thought in your spare time; poha ba pe she, if you really wanna understand it. If I tell you what it's about, then what's the point? :P It's totally open to interpretation. It's now yours (the reader's), not mine any longer.

Musafira
06-15-2010, 04:40 PM
Sorry.......I didn't think it was about you but rather whoever you were writing about committing suicide. These lines:

are what put suicide in my mind. Unless someone kills themselves how does living life become an option? Hell being more appealing than life and the lack of hope for a paradise in the afterlife all seem suicidal. To me, in my mind this is so about suicide unless you wanna explain it to me. I have reread it over & over & it's the only conclusion I can come to & since you said it's not about suicide it's driving me crazy to understand what you meant by it.

Roshina
06-15-2010, 04:58 PM
Sorry.......I didn't think it was about you but rather whoever you were writing about committing suicide. These lines:

are what put suicide in my mind. Unless someone kills themselves how does living life become an option? Hell being more appealing than life and the lack of hope for a paradise in the afterlife all seem suicidal. To me, in my mind this is so about suicide unless you wanna explain it to me. I have reread it over & over & it's the only conclusion I can come to & since you said it's not about suicide it's driving me crazy to understand what you meant by it.

Wow!! I like this!
And that is correct, guley! Those lines certainly do imply suicide. When I told you it doesn't, I meant it's not about me or my thoughts of doing such a thing.

Other meanings of the lines "when life becomes an option / death becomes the first resort" could be ... that it's a random thought in which the speaker is reminiscing over another individual who has committed suicide, or the possible thought of suicide.

It could also be that the speaker is finally understanding WHY people commit suicide, or why death occurs at all.

As for the lines regarding the flames of hell becoming more appealing (or how hell repels the speaker's heart but the speaker's heart repels heaven) ... ahhh! Yes. It could be the speaker's attempt to say she/he doesn't like either heaven or hell; doesn't belong in either place but perhaps somewhere in between. It could also be that the speaker is realizing that things aren't perhaps as simple as we sometimes like them to be but there's always more to them than our own understanding.

And so on, lol.

Remember that the speaker can be anyone; I could be writing from the perspective of a dead being . . .

And as I sit here thinking about it, lots and lots more meanings are coming to my mind about each line. To think I wrote this and much of what I'm saying right now wasn't even on my mind at that time, lol. This is why I love poetry so much. The writer her/himself doesn't understand as much as a reader might. This happened with my poem "The Apogee of My Being (http://www.pashtunforums.com/6509-post2.html)," and it seems to be happening with this one, too.

Thanks for giving it so much thought, by the way!! I appreciate it, girl! :smile1:

Roshina
06-15-2010, 05:07 PM
Oh, and just to add ... don't let it bother you if you *think* you're not getting the actual meaning of it! lolll... Like I said to Khan Gul, it's not mine anymore; it's yours. So it means whatever YOU want it to mean.

If others were to read and reflect on this in my absence, most -- if not all -- would conclude that it's the speaker's thoughts on suicide, and the speaker could be the author. I would have no right to tell them, "NO! NO!!!! It's not like that!" Because if I were to interfere, then what's the point of my letting them read it and understand it themselves?

So as long as you can back up whatever interpretation you get out of it, you WILL be correct.

muhsina
06-15-2010, 05:41 PM
It made me sad but very nicely put.

You seem to be a poet by heart. Am I right? :smile1:

Why have you chosen such a difficult nick [takhalus too??]. I cant even pronounce it.:banghead:

Gaia
06-15-2010, 05:45 PM
Muhsina, take 10 minutes to dedicate to her and you won't find any better word to describe. Of course, there's sweet, intelligent, fast-thinking, beautiful, energetic, and there's QRRATUGAI... that'll be the best way to describe her at first ;)

muhsina
06-15-2010, 06:11 PM
Exodus of the Wretched Souls

When the heart has seen enough serenity
And hell repels it, but it repels heaven
When the darkness of the sun pervades the spirit of humanity
Let the heart amble with the aimless
Let it float in the hollows of our memories
Let it stumble on the pieces of callous human flesh
Humanity does not exist
The well of life has dried up
Welcome the exodus of the wretched souls.

~ Qrratugai
June 14th 2010

I think it is a cry of a hurt soul which seems to be hurt due to the apparent exodus of someone near and dear.

It is the depiction of the feelings one experiences when the one whom you look forward to stops looking at you.

It is the transformation into words of the impressionistic pessismism in a personified form.

It is the noise of a broken and shattered heart's pieces when it sees a cold response from the one who used to live in it.

The poet is a humanist in the depths of her heart and tries to have lost her summum bonum and ideal when the poet unconsciously equates the cold behaviour of her beloved with the existentialist view of humanity.

10 min over. Gaiai happy.???:lal29:

Roshina
06-15-2010, 06:31 PM
LOL! Gaia is just being too kind, that's all! (She IS my other half, though!)

Muhsina! Those are some excellent ways of looking at it :D I like it, I like it!
Thanks!

Roshina
06-15-2010, 06:33 PM
You seem to be a poet by heart. Am I right? :smile1:

Not at all! I only like to write what comes to mind at times, but I would not call myself a poet at all. However! Thanks for considering me one, lol, since that's quite a compliment :smile1:

And judging from your last comment, your reflections on the poem, I KNOW I'm not wrong to say you're a poet as well. You may not have written any (or have you?), but that doens't mean you're not a poet. So get to writing and sharing!

muhsina
06-15-2010, 06:41 PM
Yes its called " AAMAD" in poetry as far as I know. These ideas and words comes to one's mind only when the heart attracts them from the heavens where they reside in raw form. It has happened to homer,it happened to shakespeare,it happened to Ghalib , to Mawalan Room and all others. The source of all the poetry is what has been called " alamay misal" by the learned poeple.

So you got a poetro-magnetic heart buddy . Use it to attract all that you can.

Roshina
06-15-2010, 06:43 PM
Here's another way of understanding the poem. A good friend shared this with me (these are her exact words) BUT refuses to post here. So I told her I'll do it myself 'cause I find it very interesting!

I love that I thought of it as some sort of thinking on suicide bombings, on people who just can't see a better way to live than burning their own existences, and that happens to be their only exit... and found it even more beautiful.

To me, it came too much like a response to a conversation I had years ago with [someone] who tried to make sense out of suicide bombings...

I then understood it was about a feeling I can never have, a feeling of being suffocating, unabble to see any better way, of being so opressed that bombing yourself is not an option, but the best way ahead.

When you said in the poem of living being a option, hence, not much of an obligation; of hell being more appealing than life itself, that was the best i ever got of an explanation to the feelings and reasons of a suicide bomber. When humanity does not exist and life's been dried up.

Ahhh ... if it could help clarify something (ANYTHING!) to someone (ANYONE!) out there, I couldn't feel happier!

Manana, khalko! :)