View Full Version : Youth Enagagement Program

pir_Rokhan
06-13-2010, 12:59 AM
Outlines of Youth Engagement Program
Concept, Methodology and Indicators

Pir Rokhan
6/11/2010

Proposed Youth Engagement Plans and Programs

The following independent variables have been considered while chalking out a practical plan and methodology for engaging various cadres of youth.

Independent variables

1) Age Groups:

∑ Pre Teen [10 to 16]
∑ Teen [17 to 20]
∑ Young [21- 30]
∑ Middle [31-40]

2) Gender

∑ Gender dependent [ For one gender only]
∑ Gender independent [ For both Boys and Girls]

3) Productivity

∑ Productive
∑ Non Productive

4) Support

∑ Govt dependent
∑ Govt Independent

5) Duration

∑ Short Term
∑ Long Term

6) Literacy

∑ For Literate
∑ For Illiterate

Methodology:

The methodology has to be implemented at Village/Tehsil/District level as well as inter-village, inter-tehsil, inter-distt levels and concurrently taking into consideration inter-School, inter-College, inter-Varsity levels of correlation.

1) Literature

∑ Conduct Article/ Column/ Paper writing competition

2) Communication Skills Development

∑ Conduct Speech Competition [on topics about pluralism, democracy, peace, creativity, science, technology, modern sciences, religion, extremism, terrorism, Pashto, Pashtunwali and History etc.]

3) Poetry

∑ Conduct Poetry Competition

4) Science and Tech

∑ Conduct competition on inventions ,discoveries etc

5) Info Tech

∑ Conduct competition on programming, software development etc

6) Economic activity

∑ Provide opportunities to youth for executing small projects ,jobs and assignments

7) Sports

∑ Conduct Modern Sports and Traditional sports Competitions

8) Pakhtun Culture

∑ Conduct Community Programs [ Youth Jirga, Youth Hujra , Youth Melas etc]

9) Performing Arts

∑ Conduct Acting , Singing and Performing Arts competition

10) Fine Arts

∑ Conduct Painting, Sculpture, Drawing etc Competition

11) Intíl Liaison

∑ Conduct Liaison Programs with Youth related organizations nationally and internationally.

Indicators of Success:

After executing the Youth engagement programs, if the following indicators are observed then methodology adopted should be considered successful.

1) Exhibitions related to youth related fields are held
2) Competitions are conducted
3) Literature is published in Electronic or Hard Copy form
4) Audios / Videos are created about youth engagement activities
5) Informal or formal Acknowledgement
6) New Ideas are discovered
7) Small level movement/mobilization is launched among youth
8) Festivals are held
9) The programs gets reasonable media coverage
10) There are micro level indicators of Alleviation in Poverty
11) There are Job Placements for the right persons against opportunities
12) Talent Hunt is done to find right person for the right job

Roshina
06-13-2010, 01:10 AM
May your already-blessed mind be even more blessed for thinking of the Pukhtun Youth so much that you actually spend time out of your busy schedule to plot this for us!

Thank you.

My only questions: How do we begin? And how do we implement this plan/thought in particular among those Pukhtuns who live abroad? How can the internet help us? (Well, it's obvious how it's helping already and can continue helping us, but I mean specifically for what you've designed above.)

pir_Rokhan
06-13-2010, 01:31 AM
This was a proposal I submitted to the Pakhtunkhwa govt just yesterday to give them a helping hand in their postive endeavours for the rehabilitation of Pakhtunkhwa in particular. I thought it would be worth sharing with the community so if it is of any worth,then the Afghan govt should also know about it.

It is a model which can be implemented by both Govt and Non Govt organisations and assumes very less investment to start with. In most of the steps proposed the whole process can become a reality with a small event conducted skillfully by some talented and zealous youth.

It is segmented and hence one step is not dependent on another so there is no formal organogram needed. Any group can commence any part of it it independently based on their interests and requirement.

It considers the 6 independent variables and has a vast scope and spectrum of possibilities hence giving much felxibility to the program. This means that it can initiated by youth of any age group, boys, girls , literate , illiterate, for short terms or long term, independenetly or in collaboration, nationally as well as internationally.

I have a socio-mathematical model for its working in my mind which is of pure academic importance hence not relevant for those who are interested to implement it.

I would appreciate if i get any feedback about any of the acitivity which was initiated based on this model anywhere. It would help me formulate and get inputs for what I call Cultural-engineering for the masses of underdeveloped and third world countries which is my prime area of interest.

PFgulalai
06-13-2010, 02:42 AM
Dear Pir Rokhan,

I must say that you deserve great admiration for coming up with such brilliant proposal.My impression is that it is quite feasible and looks cost-effective as well and hence the Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa govt should consider it. I would suggest few things: activities related to developing Language Skills such as introducing them to languages especially Pashto. Most students do not know how to read or write Pashto. Schools in rural areas used to have Pashto subject but I wonder if it is still there. If at some point in their lives the importance of their mother tongue is instilled in these kids's mind, they could grasp and even excel later in their lives since it is them who are going to keep the language alive and stop it from getting extinct.I can give my example, for instance.Having done all my schooling from English medium ones, I could still read and write Pashto because my parents used to teach us at home.Today I am thankful to them. Pardon me if it has alraedy been proposed.
I would also suggest that similar to Economics-related activity, you add an activity related to Environment such as an outdoor activity of visiting a polluted place, informing them about the causes and effects of pollution on our planet or an indoor activity of cleaning the classrooms, sowing seeds and watering the plants, and taking care of animals. Last but not the least, please add 'dancing' to the list of performing arts too :)
Once again, these are just suggestions.Your proposal looks great without them even.
Khuday mo rokhan ka!

pir_Rokhan
06-13-2010, 04:30 AM
Gulalai
Thanx for highlighting the point about environmental pollution. I allocated the space for these type of fruitful activities when I said that inspired by the activities if there are micro level movements / mobilisations in the INDICATORS OF SUCCESS section. The same applies for a movement for the learning of Pashto.The Pashtun traditional dancing skills like Attan and others are considered in PERFORMING ARTS part.

Khan Gul
06-13-2010, 04:52 AM
I was looking for innovative ideas to implement it in the School that I serve as consultant to with over 800 students and I am glad, there are a number of points that I will recommend to the school for immediate implementation.
Here I share all others in THANKING YOU whole-heartedly for this very, very useful post.

pir_Rokhan
06-13-2010, 09:28 AM
Khangula

I am happy to find out that my ideas are of any help to your school or any other organisation. I published it intentionally so it is made public and hence endeavours are done to execute and realise such ideas. I would appreciate if you share the feedback about its implementation.

Sheenka
06-13-2010, 01:39 PM
when i saw the heading i thought it was someone's engagment party program :P

pir_Rokhan
06-13-2010, 02:29 PM
Do you mind if I forward this to one of my uncles friend who works for educational ministry of Afghanistan?

All my endevours are for our people in particular and for all humanity in general. I will be more than happy if you forward it and please convey my volunteer support in resolving any hurdles which might come in its way. Let me know if they have any queries, ambiguities or issues in this regard.

Khan Gul
06-13-2010, 02:53 PM

Pir Rokhan
6/11/2010

2) Communication Skills Development

∑ Conduct Speech Competition [on topics about pluralism, democracy, peace, creativity, science, technology, modern sciences, religion, extremism, terrorism, Pashto, Pashtunwali and History etc.]

I am serious about its implementation and I shall be glad to share the feedback with you and all those who are interested....
In the meantime, could you do me the favour by elaborating on the word "PLURALISM" you used above. I want to be very clear when discussing this with the Academic Committee of the School.

Thanks again!

شمله ور خراساني
06-13-2010, 03:01 PM

9) Performing Arts

∑ Conduct Acting , Singing and Performing Arts competition

10) Fine Arts

∑ Conduct Painting, Sculpture, Drawing etc Competition

Cut the damtob from it, and I'm sure plenty of people will support this kind of initiatives.

pir_Rokhan
06-13-2010, 03:33 PM
I am serious about its implementation and I shall be glad to share the feedback with you and all those who are interested....
In the meantime, could you do me the favour by elaborating on the word "PLURALISM" you used above. I want to be very clear when discussing this with the Academic Committee of the School.

Thanks again!

It is a socio-political term however we can use it to discuss a society or environment where there are versatile views and opinions and different modes and styles of life ,thereby paving the way for a more conducive and humanist environment where one can bear otherone along with his or her differences and the difference between the personal matters are clearly differenciated from professional ones. It is an antonym of monotonous modes and views about life and autocratic environments whether political or religeous having no or less freedom of speech and way of life.

pir_Rokhan
06-13-2010, 03:40 PM
Cut the damtob from it, and I'm sure plenty of people will support this kind of initiatives.

Though I loved yoiur criticism from a cultural and Pakhtun point of view but on serious note it made me wonder how can a person who has studied ABC of aesthetics and who know about psalms of David can reject these finer things in life which are "god gifted" and have to be appreciated.
I respect your opinion however I would like to disagree to exclude it.
Thanks and appreciate your feeback.

P.S: Please read Allama Jafer Shah's "Islam and Music"

شمله ور خراساني
06-13-2010, 03:40 PM
Usually, when secularists speak about pluralism, they mean toleration of kufr, shirk, homosexuality, fornication, and alcohol consumption.

pir_Rokhan
06-13-2010, 03:45 PM
Usually, when secularists speak about pluralism, they mean toleration of kufr, shirk, homosexuality, fornication, and alcohol consumption.

Well I suggested that the topic of Plularism should be considered in speech competition. I dont think there is any problem in discussing any of the topics you have mentioned and even more. If they are wrong let their advocates prove them wrong and if they are not let their advocates prove them otherwise.

PFgulalai
06-13-2010, 04:42 PM

What's so 'damtob' about it? Dance and music are important forms of art and almost every rich culture have incorporated them in one or other ways. We need to keep our all forms of art intact for the present and future generation. If dance is scratced off from the proposal based on your persepective, then Pir Rokhan has to delete other sections of arts too as painting, drawing and sculpturing would also qualify as 'kufar', 'shirk'....au khuday khabar chi sa sa...

Badlun
06-13-2010, 04:42 PM
This administrative division may not be applied in Afghanistan

Methodology:

The methodology has to be implemented at Village/Tehsil/District level as well as inter-village, inter-tehsil, inter-distt levels and concurrently taking into consideration inter-School, inter-College, inter-Varsity levels of correlation.

pir_Rokhan
06-13-2010, 05:40 PM
This administrative division may not be applied in Afghanistan

Methodology:

The admin division does not matter much. It can be customised/localised for tapa/wolaswali etc. Tne concept remains the same.

Badlun
06-13-2010, 06:10 PM
Its an excellent programme. Two things are basic for every project. Human resources and Financial resources. Fisrt Financial resources as money makes the mare go.

Fund raising for this programme can be done by public and private means. For public support governments of Pakistan and Afghanistan on both Federal and provincial levels specially Youth , Culture, Education, Sports and Science and Techonolgy Ministries may be contacted.

On private level, NGOs, Development Organizations, Donor agencies, companies, industries, factories, banks and indivisuals may be contacted.

Donations may be requested from Pashtuns through out the world. Pir Rokhan must come on the front and I dont know he is a virtual person or also called Pir Rokhan in his real life. As people will only donate to a real person not to an ID on internet.

First volunteers can be requested to work for the project, Once there are sufficient financial resources , then professional human resources can be contracted along with machinery, equipments, vehicles, computers, offices, communication tools etc.

A headquarter can be opened in Peshawar and Kabul each. Then branch offices can be opened in kandahar, Quetta, Jalal abad and other Pashtun cities.

The focus should only be on Pashtuns because we need such projects more than others. Also it will give an image of specialization, concentration and a particular target.

Badlun
06-13-2010, 06:18 PM
What's so 'damtob' about it? Dance and music are important forms of art and almost every rich culture have incorporated them in one or other ways. We need to keep our all forms of art intact for the present and future generation. If dance is scratced off from the proposal based on your persepective, then Pir Rokhan has to delete other sections of arts too as painting, drawing and sculpturing would also qualify as 'kufar', 'shirk'....au khuday khabar chi sa sa...

I agree. Damtoob is the Pashto name for dance and the dancing profession.
I dont see any thing bad in both dance and this profession. Pashtun culture before the advent of extremist Islam IN 1979(Soviet invasion and the resultant so called Jihad by islamic extremsits with the help of salafis), Pashtuns had a rich culture of dance. This culture resisted the invasion of Arab culture in the shape of Islam for centuries. Its only recent that taliban and Mullas became so powerful that they now stop Pashtun cultural activities like dance.

As I repeatedly say religion has nothing to do with culture and art. Religion is only for beliefs, worship and some morals. If we mix religion and culture then we have such people who oppose any artistic or cultural activity like dance.

Roshina
06-13-2010, 07:51 PM
Gulalai khor summed it up quite well, but I wanted to say this anyway.

So what that some people think music/dance and all other creative forms of arts are "damtob"? It's a gift. It's a part of every culture and every society. Deny it all you want.

And I hate hypocrisy. Most people who call music/etc. damtob just mean to say that "I would never go into singing/dancing/filming/etc., and neither would I let anyone in my control to go into these arenas of creative arts, BUT I love, love, LOVE listening to music! It soothes my soul."

Sheer hypocrisy on their part. Ghani Baba, may Allah be pleased with him, was so right that Pukhtuns love music but hate the musician.

Oh, and people already support this plan presented by Pir Rokhan -- we can see it from the members' responses so far, too, although I admit that we don't necessarily represent Pukhtuns everywhere we go or in everything we do/say/believe -- in spite of his being so progressive and pro-education and pro-intellect. I'm still amazed at how he took the time out to write this and share it with us!

pir_Rokhan
06-14-2010, 12:19 AM
Osho

Thanks for thr input.

First of all the model which I envision for this Youth engagement program assumes only two levels.

It is either State/ Provincial govt or a Private unit as small as a team of two volunteer persons , a school, an NGO , a welfare organisation etc which can initiate any segment of the program related to them.

If it is executed by state for example the govt of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, or the govt of Afghanistan then it would definitely need a budget which has to be allocated by the relevant authority. In that case all the pre requisited mentioned would apply.

However considering the realistic situation where govt might not execute programs which are proposed due to a multitude of reasons, I have made sure that the program can be executed even by a small private unit such a school, an NGO, an welfare organsation, or any other such unit.

So you see it is not me or anyone else who is important, it is the initiative which is important and either STATE or a SMALL PRIVATE UNIT has to take the initiative.This is the essence and main aim of the program. The flexibility of the program to be executed by either of them [Public or private] is what makes it a feasible program.

P.S : On a personal level, I am developing and working on two more programs for the govt of Pakhtunkhwa: One for the Ministiry or Science and tech [M.O.S.T] and other for the Ministry of Rural Development. Once I chalk out the framework and outline and propose them to the relevant minsitries I will share them with the respected community members.