View Full Version : Is Attan a Dance? Or not?

شمله ور خراساني
06-05-2010, 07:43 PM
As salaamu aleikoum wa rahmatullahi wa baraktuhu,

I do not consider Attan to be a dance in the sense that it is common in other cultures. I see Attan as military training. However, lately Attan is becoming more like a dance and less like a military training.

The type of Attan I prefer is original authentic tribal attan that looks masculine and is really a heavy physical excersize.

The gay immitation of mujra as you see nowadays in videos is just an insult to our culture.

Correct Masculine Attan:

08PApQCxOCA

Gay Kanchani Mujra Attan:

cZcxftGEO_o

شمله ور خراساني
06-05-2010, 07:53 PM
Attan is a dance, no matter how they do it.

How do you describe the word Dance?
To me, dance is DAMTOB!

AnGaaR
06-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Sangar sahib

YOu are disrespecting the attan.. Attan is mili dance like panjabis got bangra and arabs got Yula.

We dont have to live in a world where everything is banned or called damtob etc.
Have u not danced atan or never felt like dancing in a party or haven't u enjoyed the life while playing music?

The problem is that 1400 hundred yrs ago music was called haram. Right now its 21st century and u find music everywhere.. even ur mobile ringtone is music.
You turn on tv for news,, u will find music even in the news.

Lets stick to attan.
Attan is a mili dance and pashtoons proudly dance whenever they are happy.
Its related to our culture
Dont you see africans dance in jungles beating drums? Is that damtob too?

Dam is found in Afghanistan and pakistan and they are totally different people
They are engaged in many things such as, they sing, they cut ur hair,they are engaged in circumcision of kids and sometimes they even cure different diseases.
Those people were called dam and their job was called damtob which is also a sign of stupidity or misunderstanding.

Our fathers and grand grand fathers used to dance attan and so do we, I dont liked it when u called all the pashtoons dam because 95% pashtoons dance attan.

Yes we can say that if you are singing and girls dancing in front of u or boys dancing crazy and do stupid acts, we can call that wrong but not attan.

If national music was damtob or haram (as some call it) by now saudi arabia would have banned it in gulf region.

an example
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/143/398879880_53ac2dee87_b.jpg

Yes this is damtob and haram
http://img.youtube.com/vi/GTRK3Bl1Q0U/0.jpg

Allah swt knows the best

شمله ور خراساني
06-05-2010, 08:23 PM
Saudis are a bunch of clowns.

And you totally missed the topic. I did not say Attan is damtob. I said attan is different. It is not like dance/damtob people do. And I even gave examples of the difference between Attan & Damtob. See the videos I posted.

شمله ور خراساني
06-05-2010, 08:25 PM
And regarding Music. There are ahadith by rasul allah sal allahu alayhi wasallam saying that musical instruments are haram. And musical instruments are also haram in Hanafi madhab.

But that's not what this discussion is about.

I just wanted to point out the difference between normal masculine attan which is part of our culture and the gay kanjani damtob you see now in parties and weddings of boys like the one I posted where boys dance like kanchanis on that silly Bahram Jan music.

AnGaaR
06-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Nvm
Maybe that post is for those who think atan is damtob..

btw saudiz were just an example
i have been to many arab countries and All of them dance traditionally.
from Egypt to UAE and Iraq.

I myself dance attan .. not only milli but aka khail,ghazni,khosti,askari and now learing waziri :)
I love attan.

leme share a video of attan where i can be seen ;)

H2vCloCiOCQ

Sheenka
06-05-2010, 08:30 PM
its a dance but traditional domtob is not traditional but pakistani pashtoon made it traditional LOL

شمله ور خراساني
06-05-2010, 08:32 PM
Nvm
Maybe that post is for those who think atan is damtob..

btw saudiz were just an example
i have been to many arab countries and All of them dance traditionally.
from Egypt to UAE and Iraq.

I myself dance attan .. not only milli but aka khail,ghazni,khosti,askari and now learing waziri :)
I love attan.

leme share a video of attan where i can be seen ;)

H2vCloCiOCQ

Yes, I know. I've seen your attan before. I know all of your videos.

My favorite is this:
ExyUnQM3fig

شمله ور خراساني
06-05-2010, 08:32 PM
which one are you Angaar Khan?
the one wearing the sports jacket

AnGaaR
06-05-2010, 08:35 PM
which one are you Angaar Khan?
I always start the attan so i have to be the first lol
i m da first one

Roshina
06-05-2010, 08:37 PM
Attanr is dance -- and a damn beautiful one.

LOL @ "masculine" .... I hope we do know that attanr isn't just for males; it's for females as well. Why should female have to perform a "masculine" dance (although I don't consider it that at all, even in the videos posted)?

Sheenka
06-05-2010, 08:39 PM
^ right its for fun gande afghan (afghani dress) looks nice with attan :P

شمله ور خراساني
06-05-2010, 08:39 PM
FVyLAQBXAys

Sheenka
06-05-2010, 08:40 PM
on the street :D

AnGaaR
06-05-2010, 08:42 PM
FVyLAQBXAys
The maseed attan and Da zazayo attan is almost same to same..
zazai is little more complicated but when u listen to its beats and moves.. they both look alike (zazai got 3 claps in it)

Sheenka
06-05-2010, 08:45 PM
in Ningarhar there is attan group called Ghami
http://www.azgem.com/images/earrings_03.jpg
LOL

afghan
06-05-2010, 08:45 PM
historically attan was not a dance but an exersize of the warriors, they would organize and warm themselves before an attack over the enemy. look at the history of caucas region have the similar traditions like us, but they have stuck to their original version they still use weapons in their attans or dance. we use weapons very rarely mostly used by khattaks. there are hundreds types of attans, every tribes have their style of atan. i love the waziro attan.

AnGaaR
06-05-2010, 08:50 PM
LOL

I know this dude.. they used to dance attan in wedding parties just for fun.
Recently they started getting paid for dancing attan.

Attan is not a business its a traditional dance.. Ghamai and his friends are doing wrong..

Sheenka
^ what kind of styles?
All i know u dance in circle and sometimes fire in the middle of circle, for ladies they use mangi

Bibi Shah
"Attan is a traditional folk dance! It is said to be one of oldest Afghan Pagan dance, some identify Attan as an a religious ceremony of early Zoroastrians placing it 2000 BCE, and some have placed even older going back to King Yama's celebration of Nowroz and... warriors dancing and circling around the fire. King Yama was the first Afghan king dating back to 3500 BCE. This was later modified into an Islamic dance to allow the dancers to get 'closer to God' this virtual Attan practised by many Afghan poets and mystics had even reached to corners of Turkey, Europe known as the Rumi Dance"

Attan is not a "dance" where you can jump and act like crazy.. Attan is a performance with manner and dignity.
Attan khu sangin dey!

شمله ور خراساني
historically attan was not a dance but an exersize of the warriors, they would organize and warm themselves before an attack over the enemy. look at the history of caucas region have the similar traditions like us, but they have stuck to their original version they still use weapons in their attans or dance. we use weapons very rarely mostly used by khattaks. there are hundreds types of attans, every tribes have their style of atan. i love the waziro attan.
In our village they use to do attan while carrying rifles in their hands above their heads.

Sheenka
06-05-2010, 08:52 PM
^ anggar its tradtional dance thu
if u do it or them in the wedding its gonna be the same however i agreed with u as well
its very cheap and sad

شمله ور خراساني
06-05-2010, 08:52 PM

Attan is not a business its a traditional dance.. Ghamai and his friends are doing wrong..
Yes. I consider Ghamai as a big threat to our culture. He has turned a custom into damtob. He gets paid to dance in weddings. This is like Mujra.

شمله ور خراساني
06-05-2010, 08:53 PM
LOL

Ghamai is also a man's name. Its a name very common among our Kochi men.

Sheenka
06-05-2010, 08:54 PM
"attan is a traditional folk dance! It is said to be one of oldest afghan pagan dance, some identify attan as an a religious ceremony of early zoroastrians placing it 2000 bce, and some have placed even older going back to king yama's celebration of nowroz and... Warriors dancing and circling around the fire. King yama was the first afghan king dating back to 3500 bce. This was later modified into an islamic dance to allow the dancers to get 'closer to god' this virtual attan practised by many afghan poets and mystics had even reached to corners of turkey, europe known as the rumi dance"

attan is not a "dance" where you can jump and act like crazy.. Attan is a performance with manner and dignity.
Attan khu sangin dey!

see thats the reason, u cant get close to god with dancing after knowing this i hate it now
we r pure muslims now

Sheenka
06-05-2010, 08:55 PM
ghamai is also a man's name. Its a name very common among our kochi men.

yeah its name, and nice name too
ta kuchai ye?

شمله ور خراساني
06-05-2010, 08:56 PM
yeah its name, and nice name too
ta kuchai ye?
Alhamdulilah za pa num aw pa qawm kochai yama! Ahmadzai Ghiljay Kochai!

Sheenka
06-05-2010, 09:03 PM
MASHALLAH
btw wat does ghilgay means? i love this name

شمله ور خراساني
06-05-2010, 09:06 PM
MASHALLAH
btw wat does ghilgay means? i love this name
It is Ghil-Jay! or Ghil-zay. There are two commonly told stories regarding this name. Some say it means Ghar-Zoy. Son of mountain. Others say it means Ghal-zoy. Son of thief. Ghar-zoy because we descent from Saka & Kushan nomadic ancient tribes. And Ghal-=zoy because according to mythical origin of our tribe. a woman called bibi mato was raped by a Turkic thief and her son was called Ghal-zoy.

شمله ور خراساني
06-05-2010, 09:07 PM
Among Ghilji one branch is called Matozai. Sons of Bibi Mato.

Muslimah
06-05-2010, 09:59 PM
Back to the topic...
Seems like a dance. There are many dances, but it is better as Muslims that men dance with men, and women dance with women (when men aren't around). But then comes the argument that music is haram...so you need something to dance to...

I have a riddle...
Where do you find a bunch of men with super long hair like that of women? In the 2nd video originally posted. YIKES

Son of Mountains
06-06-2010, 12:17 AM
In Balochistan, there is a typical style of Attan, which is very beautiful. If you ask them "Are you doing dance?".....They will become so much angry with you!
I dont consider it in catagory of Dance. Its a tradational happiness way.

Muslimah
06-06-2010, 12:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlJJMKN16bs
This is Lebanese debka (very similar to Attan)...
It is considered Islamic to them because it originated with playing of tablah as music.

v=zlJJMKN16bs
Enjoy! :)

AfghanSoulja
06-06-2010, 12:45 AM
I hate Dancing

Sheenka
06-06-2010, 11:04 AM
^ he cant do it :P

Sheenka
06-06-2010, 11:08 AM
huh
played with ??

Sheenka
06-06-2010, 12:03 PM
how did u know LOL
i dont know how 2 do it in my uncle wedding i ruined the whole attan :P

afghan
06-06-2010, 12:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlJJMKN16bs
This is Lebanese debka (very similar to Attan)...
It is considered Islamic to them because it originated with playing of tablah as music.

v=zlJJMKN16bs
Enjoy! :)
its more similar to traditional jewish dance.

king-zazai
06-06-2010, 03:47 PM

I do not consider Attan to be a dance in the sense that it is common in other cultures. I see Attan as military training. However, lately Attan is becoming more like a dance and less like a military training.

The type of Attan I prefer is original authentic tribal attan that looks masculine and is really a heavy physical excersize.

The gay immitation of mujra as you see nowadays in videos is just an insult to our culture.

Correct Masculine Attan:

08PApQCxOCA

cZcxftGEO_o

sallam walak YESSS!! u r 100% percent right attan is not a dance at al it is A NATIONAL SYMBOLLL now it has become a nation symbol and it shows we r pashtun

o and wrroa also al those hadiths with music r weak even though im not a fan of music but its being debated right now.....

Badlun
06-08-2010, 03:39 PM
And regarding Music. There are ahadith by rasul allah sal allahu alayhi wasallam saying that musical instruments are haram. And musical instruments are also haram in Hanafi madhab.

But that's not what this discussion is about.

I just wanted to point out the difference between normal masculine attan which is part of our culture and the gay kanjani damtob you see now in parties and weddings of boys like the one I posted where boys dance like kanchanis on that silly Bahram Jan music.

In a very sublime way extremists are belitteling and extirpating Pashtun culture by making attan as military exercize and making it something jihadi. religious extremsits are the worst enemies of Pashtuns and Pashtunwali.
I hate all so called hadith which go against basic human nature. Music is the food of soul and just few words related to a Prophet cant stop the human nature from observing some thing like music so fundamental to human existence.

For God sake stop destroying Pashtun culture. Go to those deserts of Arabia where no human being live and practise your hadith and religion.
Let Pashtuns enjoy attan and music.

Feroza_Banu
06-08-2010, 04:00 PM
i hate hate hate hate hate hate those gay attan dancers that come to concerts and weddings and do attan for money... i hate hate hate hate hate them... they look soooooooooooooooooo gayyyyyyyyy!... i hate their long hair and their attan style

asli attan is of MEN who do can't stop themselves when they hear the beats of dhool... the love of attan, pashtoonwali and the love of their culture is reflected with their every move.

Punjabi
06-08-2010, 04:12 PM
Attan is similar to our Bhangra.

Pakhtunzai
06-08-2010, 04:25 PM
^LOL no chance!

Master Khan
06-08-2010, 06:35 PM
Attan is similar to our Bhangra.
Bhangra is sikh crap.
Its nothing like Attan.

AnGaaR
06-08-2010, 06:42 PM
Bhangra reminds me of old days back in dubai
Me and some arab guys would take a drum and start beating it walking behind sardarjiz.. some of them would start dancing bhangra lol

btw therez huge diff between bhangra nad attan

Pakhtunzai
06-08-2010, 06:49 PM
You compare this to attan<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ifOqodrVm9w&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ifOqodrVm9w&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I'm stumped:confused:

By the way guys I'm from punjab..I think I know!

Also punjabi bro, I don't mean any offense I'm just saying it how it is..I'm sorry if you got offended..

Muslimah
06-08-2010, 11:49 PM
haha
I think attan requires some real talent to do. The way they spin the first video, even ballerinas can't spin that fast I was like wooooooooooooooooooooah! Is that for real?

Mr.Niazi
06-09-2010, 05:44 PM
Attan kho attan wai ...chai lag sanay dÃ*i hum ye biya kho khowand kai

شمله ور خراساني
06-09-2010, 06:03 PM
^We Maseeds do it very fast.
Yes. Attan of Waziristanis is probably one of the most beautiful and manly style of attan.

DpSnL7z2BCE

Admin Khan
06-09-2010, 09:17 PM
^Agreed.

Cookiemonster
06-09-2010, 09:32 PM
ITS A DANCE it is a traditional dance

Millatpal Noorzai
06-09-2010, 10:44 PM
My favorite is this and i have GREAT RESPECT FOR ATTAN AND ITS PERFORMERS.Let's not judge them by damtob and professionalism.Who ever performs Attan is contributing towards the preservation of Pashtun/Pakhtun heritage.

YouTube - (((( REAL POKHTON ATTAN )))) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFreKkmxrSo)

abdul
10-20-2010, 11:55 AM
i have stated hating atan after seeing people with long hair making fools of them selfs

YouTube - Unbelievable Afghan attan 2010 dance,part 4, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7AXfK2poEg)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l7AXfK2poEg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l7AXfK2poEg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

i'm taking about what happens between 0.23 and 0.40

when i see this kind of people i feel shame in being a pashtun

this is my opinion maybe some people love that about a atan but i hate it

Feroza_Banu
10-20-2010, 02:30 PM
I don't like the whole "head banging" thing... especially when the young guys with loooong hair do it... it just looks sooo hmm... well.... gay!

my favorit attan (women's) is wardag attan... it has 3 steps and it is a little difficult to swirl around that much but thats what makes it so beautiful.

in guys i like zaazi (jaaji) attan

Dreamer
10-20-2010, 02:59 PM
You got to love the attan of khattaks with swords

I am a Khattak and I can assure u that we do not do attan with swords... there may be some Khattaks who do but we do not...
as for attan being a dance.... yes, yes it is

Dreamer
10-20-2010, 04:22 PM
You are a fake khattak then.

I have khattak friends from karak and they love attan with swords.

1 do not call me a FAKE khattak... there is more to being a khattak then dancing with a sword... we are not from Karak... besides we have left a lot of the backward customs
2 how dare a non khattak tell a Khattak what a khattak shld or shld not be doing! lol
concentrate on ur own tribes attan and leave ours alone!

abubaker
10-20-2010, 04:48 PM

lol the dude[GHAMAI] got kicked out of the house by his father for ''DAMTOB''

laevanay
10-20-2010, 07:16 PM
We need to preserve our dying customs and traditions. Sadly, the arabinization of Pakhtuns is killing off any opposing views that they do not agree with. Atan like many other cultural and entertainment aspects of the pakhtun society are being removed. We must preserve them!!!!

Mayana
10-20-2010, 09:52 PM
LOOOOLLL @ Kanchani hahahahaha :running:

Mrra swalama. Yeah, I don't consider it a dance. I agree with Sangar here, it's supposed to be military training.

Michin Khel
10-21-2010, 03:47 PM

Correct Masculine Attan:

08PApQCxOCA

cZcxftGEO_o

Another question:
Attan is a good exercise or madness?

Michin Khel
10-21-2010, 03:50 PM
Pashto counting is on the verge of extinction in Pakistan. Every Pashtun of Pakistan in Peshwar counts in Urdu. I ask them why and they say its easier. So we have to work on preserving every aspect not just Attan.

I count in english...what am i? Englified?

Feroza_Banu
10-21-2010, 03:53 PM
^if u only know how to count in english... and u have forgotten pashto ... definitely.. but its ok u can still learn it and correct yourself :)

pukhtana
10-21-2010, 06:33 PM
New generation Pashtuns who were ot taught Pashtuns do it wrong but that doesn't mean Attan is killed. It's different ways of doing it.

Shamaar
10-21-2010, 09:40 PM
Attan is more than just a dance I think. It's a lot more. When you look at people doing attan - regular people even - it's as if they've entered into a trance and they're totally one with the beat of the dhol. Multiple people will be flipping their heads all in unison and stuff. It looks amazing.

Plus, the leg movements are no less significant. The beat also plays such a pivotal role because speeding up the beat or slowing it down is like a signal for the performers as to what kind of beat is coming up next. It's hard to explain. YouTube has tons of incredible clips. I like Waziri attan the best by far.

abdul
10-22-2010, 08:24 AM
Another question:
Attan is a good exercise or madness?

the long hair atan is madness and gay

drona
10-24-2010, 06:00 PM
Afghan students doing Attan in India.

Are they doing it okay ? They start out slow but later pick up the pace.

YouTube - afghani attan i india (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFi2JWCUyqI)

شمله ور خراساني
10-28-2010, 10:00 PM
Afghan students doing Attan in India.

Are they doing it okay ? They start out slow but later pick up the pace.

YouTube - afghani attan i india (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFi2JWCUyqI)
that was pathetic.

amna.
10-29-2010, 12:59 AM
It wasnt that bad. It was ok.