View Full Version : Anyone Developed An Android App?

tor_khan
08-22-2011, 10:17 AM
How easy/difficult is it to develop an Android App?

My phone has Urdu/Farsi writing options, but I'm limited when I want to send an SMS in Pashto.

I have the Pashto App for the iPad, but you have to copy and paste messages than directly being able to compose an SMS in Pashto.

The Google/Android issue is a priority.

Admin Khan
08-22-2011, 12:49 PM
Greetings TK,
Do you have any programming experience? Java is the key for the android.

Talal
08-22-2011, 01:06 PM
yeah thats one of the reasons i love this OS so much, there are also some AIR-based apps i think.. Just get Eclipse or NetBeans if you like that better, program Eclipse for AVD and thats it after that its just write code

OR you can just simply install the MultiLing App, its a keyboard app and you can jus write using the pashtu keyboard

Janana
08-22-2011, 03:33 PM
Sorry I don't think I can help :( I use the Iphone and when I write in Pashto I use the "Pashto Keyboard" app, and like you mentioned, I have to copy the text and paste it into an SMS for it to work.

کیش
08-22-2011, 11:32 PM
Tor Khan,

unfortunetely i cannot help you directly. but this ebook can if you really study it.

i also have the Pashto keyboard app, for the iPad. it was done very sloppy, with the letters starting from the left side. as well as that frame that blocks what you are writing. the Urdu/Farsi keyboard app was done much better, with the option of email/web browsing easily accesible.

tor_khan
08-23-2011, 12:45 AM
Thanks people for your input. Also I'll look at the PDF Kaish. Manena. I guess we as a community need to develop this because there is a need.

I wonder if there is a simpler way? I mean could it be possible to just modify an existing Urdu/Farsi keyboard and add the extra Pashto characters?

I'm thinking open source here so modification might be possible within the spirit of open source.

Right now Microsoft Windows leads the way for Pashto support. I haven't seen Pashto in Ubuntu but I have a friend in Afghanistan (Angraiz in fact) who has developed a lot of educatuonal stuff that is in Pashto for the Linux platform.

Aryob
08-31-2011, 10:36 PM
Open source users/developers please join Open source Afghanistan group on facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/LinuxAfghanistan
I was wondering if there are any Android developers here? Thinking of working on Pashto support for Android phones/pads (I use HTC HD2) but i guess i have to program it which means one more thing in my huge TODO list. :(

r3alist
09-03-2011, 09:52 AM
I mean could it be possible to just modify an existing Urdu/Farsi

do your own work.

Aryob
09-04-2011, 03:49 PM
do your own work.
ever heard of open source?

Afghanistan2010
09-04-2011, 05:07 PM
I really appreciate being with you guys (with such thinkings) i myself have worked on different java programms but i have inshaAllah the next plan to move on android its the best os i have ever seen very simple,really great-

tor_khan
09-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Afghanistan 2010. I await. There are application where you can build applications that run, but the nitty gritty of programming is quite a challenge for me.

Aryob; thanks for mentioning Open Source. That was precisely my point. Seems lost on some, alas.

Aryob
09-05-2011, 08:01 AM
Afghanistan2010 and Tor_Khan, I have plans for working on Android Development and I'm looking for Afghan/Pashtun Android users and developers to be able to analyze what our market needs are and what we can do to develop apps for them. Lets discuss this indetail, i've setup a facebook page for it, or you can visit my new blog.
Afghan Android Community | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afghan-Android-Community/142642902494887)

Admin Khan
09-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Aryob, you have my assistance as well. I just don't have a Facebook.

Aryob
09-05-2011, 10:56 AM
Aryob, you have my assistance as well. I just don't have a Facebook.
Admin khana what sort of cooperation would you be able to provide? What stage of Android Development are you in? I am sort of starting and since I'm not doing it for my fulltime job, it's not getting as much attention but i have the intention. I have a little background on keyboards, IME, standardization, localization and that's what I want my apps to be focused on.

I am checking what Arab/Iranian/Pakistanis have done and I see that they've some good apps like Geo tv's app is really cool, there's books in urdu, persians have managed to have a browser that supports persian websites on Android and they all have IME or soft keyboards but not Pashto.

JAMALUDEEN
09-07-2011, 05:23 AM
Thanks people for your input. Also I'll look at the PDF Kaish. Manena. I guess we as a community need to develop this because there is a need.

I wonder if there is a simpler way? I mean could it be possible to just modify an existing Urdu/Farsi keyboard and add the extra Pashto characters?

I'm thinking open source here so modification might be possible within the spirit of open source.

Right now Microsoft Windows leads the way for Pashto support. I haven't seen Pashto in Ubuntu but I have a friend in Afghanistan (Angraiz in fact) who has developed a lot of educatuonal stuff that is in Pashto for the Linux platform.

I have used pashto and farsi keyboards in ubuntu.