View Full Version : To my hijabi sisters

Muslimah
05-28-2010, 07:39 PM
Salaam walaikom! Guys - feel free to comment too.

So, I have been in a state of ponder - and had a bit of an argument with someone and I really am not sure if I am right or wrong. I need some help as I am still trying to find myself as a Muslim, especially one in a non-Muslim country.

Since accepting Islam, I found most women are very docile, calm, quiet, like to stay at home and don't like unnecessary attention.

Coming into Islam, I was always very opinionated, oftentimes goofy, and although I like home, I also like going out.

When I started wearing hijab, I noticed I was getting a lot of attention. I get random stares everywhere I go - even sometimes I see people stop in their tracks to stare at me, or talk to the person next to them while pointing at me. My friend told me they don't like going out with me since I started wearing hijab because I attract too much attention. But of course I don't want the attention, BUT I am not going to stop being Muslim because of it.

I also feel like I shouldn't be cooped up inside and hidden from the world on one hand because I know I have the power to remove a lot of stereotypes when people see I am a successful, educated, white-named, English speaking Hijabi. Is that a bad thing to want?

I am confused....:hmmm:

Palwasha
05-28-2010, 09:08 PM
Walaykum asalaam! I'm not entirely sure of your exact question, but here's a few words..

As a hijaabi Muslimah, you don't need to be cooped up at all, I love going out with friends! My parents especially don't appreciate it during exams...=/

Most of my best friends are white, non-Muslims, *and* I wear hijaab. It hasn't proven to be much of a problem at all. (Though I refuse to go anywhere alcohol related.) They should stick by you, if not find others more worth your company,

I know as a Muslim it can be difficult living in a non-Muslim society, especially being a revert, but it's all part of the test. =)

And unfortunately, I don't think the stares will ever stop..

Since accepting Islam, I found most women are very docile, calm, quiet, like to stay at home and don't like unnecessary attention.

Wow, really? Maybe you should hit the Masjid, get to know a few there? Most of the Msulims girls I know are crazzyyy! In a manner of speaking of course. Lol, I don't know so many docile, quiet ones, walah. Seriously, you should see them protesting! (i.e. The gaza conflict.)

But yeah, I *hate* unnecessary attention.

Iqra
05-28-2010, 09:12 PM
WalaikumAsalaaam =)

:hug:

My opinion... Just because you wear hijab you don't have to stay home all day. There is nothing wrong with going out to eat/ shop ...or whatever you do in your spare time...

There are a lot of girls that wear hijab but still have their goofy side....

and as far as attention, it's going to be there maybe it's becauseof hijabis being a minority ???...so it's something different... that people are going to notice...or just bec of what's going on...

*shrugs*

Iqra
05-28-2010, 09:13 PM
Khaney said good stuff ...

so what she said haha.

Muslimah
05-28-2010, 09:22 PM
Manana sisters! :)
I would rather my attention be "omg what a weirdo" because people are curious when they see a hijabi. They aren't looking at me like a piece of meat. So let them stare.

I did go to a sisters party once, and...my eyes are scarred for life hehe..they're insane. But when they're out in public, that's when they're SUPER quiet.