View Full Version : Witr prayer

Muslimah
05-26-2010, 12:44 AM
Salaam walaikom,

Can someone PLEASE tell me/teach me how to perform Witr prayer. I have asked 5 people, and I had 4 different answers, and one person who refused to write the prayer out for me to memorize in fear of making a mistake.

I know it is 3 rakat but there is some extra dua thrown in there somewhere. When and what is it?

Thanks!

MeemWawMeemNoon
05-26-2010, 12:54 AM
http://www.123muslim.com/attachments/dua-darood/599d1221747194-dua-e-qunoot-arabic-english-urdu-translation-qunoot.gif

Iqra
05-26-2010, 12:59 AM
Walaikum Asalaam

I hope this helps inshaAllah

http://alquraan.net/namaz/dua-e-qunoot.html

This has visual and audio ...for the dua.

And here is how you pray it >

http://www.namazzamani.net/english/witr.htm

basically on the third rakat after you recite surah Al fatiha and another surah, you say takbir once raising your hands and then bring them back to position and then recite the dua e qunut... and then finish like you regularly would...

Muslimah
05-26-2010, 01:00 AM
and what does that mean in english?
manana

MeemWawMeemNoon
05-26-2010, 01:02 AM
I don't know what the "kullohoo" is doing there. Other than that i should be fine.
Memorize the prayer.

Vitr is 3 rakaats.

The only difference between Salatul Maghrib and Virt is the above prayer, dua Qunoot.

You recite dua qunoot in your third rakaat.

After you say sami'allahu liman hamida
you bring hand to your head just like when you say takbir
you bring your hands back together
you recite dua qunoot
and then your complete your prayer just like normal

Iqra
05-26-2010, 01:03 AM
http://www.123muslim.com/attachments/dua-darood/600d1221747194-dua-e-qunoot-arabic-english-urdu-translation-qunoot_trans.gif

This is what I found... I'll double check through my papers though.

Iqra
05-26-2010, 01:04 AM
Translation: O Allah! We beg help from You alone; ask forgiveness from You alone, and turn towards You and praise You for all the good things and are grateful to You and are not ungrateful to You and we part and break off with all those who are disobedient to you. O Allah! You alone do we worship and pray exclusively to You and bow before You alone and we hasten eagerly towards You and we fear Your severe punishment and hope for Your Mercy as your severe punishment is surely to be meted out to the unbelievers.

If anyone knows which is better, I'll delete the not so better one.

MeemWawMeemNoon
05-26-2010, 01:09 AM
It means:

O Allah! We beseech Your help and ask Your forgiveness and believe in You and trust in You and praise You in the best manner; we thank You and we are not ungrateful to You, and we cast off and forsake him who disobeys You. O Allah! You alone do we serve and to You alone do we pray and we prostrate ourselves; and we rush to You and present ourselves, and we hope for Your mercy and we fear You chastisement, for surely Your chastisement overtakes the disbelievers.

Mutakhasis
05-26-2010, 02:56 AM
Muslimah, do you follow a specific mathhab?

AnGaaR
05-26-2010, 03:03 AM
The only difference between Salatul Maghrib and Virt is the above prayer, dua Qunoot.

You recite dua qunoot in your third rakaat.

After you say sami'allahu liman hamida
you bring hand to your head just like when you say takbir
you bring your hands back together
you recite dua qunoot
and then your complete your prayer just like normal

Brother .. are u sure its after Rakoh (sami'allahu liman hamida) ?
I am sure Hanafis take their hands for takbir before going to rakoh..

Its like in third rakaa, after sura fateha (alhamdullilah) u recite a short sura like Qul ho wallah or Kawsar.. then u take ur hands to ear for takbir .. Allaho akbar and u start Dua qunut..

If you dont know or cant memorize dua qonut, its said tat u can recite Qul ho wallah 3 times after takbir.. means one time u r reciting it for ur 3rd rakat.. 2nd time after takbir u recite it 3 times :)

I hope i am correct

OH BTW i spent 10 yrs of my life in dubai and most of the imams i prayed with were hanbali or shafii.. they pray the way u said.. after rakoh they rise their hands and make dua...

Iqra
05-26-2010, 03:05 AM
^ correct ...from what I know..

tor_khan
05-26-2010, 03:54 AM
If you dont know or cant memorize dua qonut, its said tat u can recite Qul ho wallah 3 times after takbir.. means one time u r reciting it for ur 3rd rakat.. 2nd time after takbir u recite it 3 times :)

I hope i am correct

I have heard this to be true, as well, AnGaaR. Thanks for this.

*Mahzala*
05-26-2010, 09:01 AM
If you dont know or cant memorize dua qonut, its said tat u can recite Qul ho wallah 3 times after takbir.. means one time u r reciting it for ur 3rd rakat.. 2nd time after takbir u recite it 3 times

Angaar Brother, you are correct, however, I like to think of it this way. We can memorise a lot more, say even Surah Al Ikhlaas, so why not Dua-e-Qunoot? We can memorise poems, and lyrics and volumes of information for academic purposes or even our own leisure, so this shouldn't be a problem, kana?

Allah make everything easy for us and guide us so that we do everything in accordance with Quran and Sunnah InshaAllah.

MeemWawMeemNoon
05-26-2010, 10:18 AM
Brother .. are u sure its after Rakoh (sami'allahu liman hamida) ?
I am sure Hanafis take their hands for takbir before going to rakoh..

Its like in third rakaa, after sura fateha (alhamdullilah) u recite a short sura like Qul ho wallah or Kawsar.. then u take ur hands to ear for takbir .. Allaho akbar and u start Dua qunut..

I hope i am correct

OH BTW i spent 10 yrs of my life in dubai and most of the imams i prayed with were hanbali or shafii.. they pray the way u said.. after rakoh they rise their hands and make dua...

There are many ways of doing vitr. One other example would be as you mentioned, to do it before going to ruku.

Bottom line, none of these nullify the prayer.

Also, I would memorize Dua Qunoot. The meaning of it is so amazing and in vitr prayer is the only time you can use it. So, take advantage.

Edit:

I pray vitr prayer totally different, different than what I mentioned above. I follow the same pattern the Prophet (saw) did it after he finished tahajjud. I follow what the Prophet (saw) did the most. Other ways are not wrong either.

Iqra
05-26-2010, 01:07 PM
Angaar Brother, you are correct, however, I like to think of it this way. We can memorise a lot more, say even Surah Al Ikhlaas, so why not Dua-e-Qunoot? We can memorise poems, and lyrics and volumes of information for academic purposes or even our own leisure, so this shouldn't be a problem, kana?

Allah make everything easy for us and guide us so that we do everything in accordance with Quran and Sunnah InshaAllah.

Of course ...but until she memorizes dua e qunoot... inshaAllah =)

*Mahzala*
05-26-2010, 01:19 PM
Oh yes, she can take her time, and Allah make everything easy for her. InshaAllah.

(I wasn't addressing her situation though ...)

Iqra
05-26-2010, 01:20 PM
^ Oh I see, I apologize about that then...

but yeah you're right about the whole ... it can be done InshaAllah =)

*Mahzala*
05-26-2010, 01:22 PM
No need to apologise Iqra =)

InshaAllah, where there is a will, there is a way. Sometimes, I like to twist this saying ... =)

inqilab
05-26-2010, 06:56 PM
Salaam walaikom,

Can someone PLEASE tell me/teach me how to perform Witr prayer. I have asked 5 people, and I had 4 different answers, and one person who refused to write the prayer out for me to memorize in fear of making a mistake.

I know it is 3 rakat but there is some extra dua thrown in there somewhere. When and what is it?

Thanks!

walaikumsalam

Witr means odd or one and it can be doen different ways.

Witr can be performed in odd number of rakats or just one rakat on its own. You do not have to pray it in 3's. It can be prayed 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 etc. as long as it is in odd number. In sahih almuslim, Allahs Messenger [s] said "witr is one rakat at the end of the night"

It should be the last prayer you say before fajr.

First i will tell you how to do witr in one rakat.

The way you pray it is the same way as a regular pray:
- Opening takbir.
- Surah alfatiha and whatever from the quran you can recite. It is sunna to recite surah al'ala, surah alkafirun or surah alikhlas.
- You go into ruku (bowing) and say the usual dhikr there.
- Once you rise from ruku (bowing) and after saying your dhikr. You say the witr dua:

Allahum-ma in-naa nas-ta 'ee-nu'ka
wa nas tagh-fi ru-ka
wa nu'mi-nu bi-ka
wa na-ta-wak-ka-lu 'alay'ka
wa nus-nee 'a-lay kal khair
wa nash-ku-ru-ka wa laa nak-fu-ru-ka
wa nakh-la 'u wa nat-ru-ku may yaf-ju-ruk
al-laa-hum-ma iy-yaa-ka na' bu-du
wa-la-ka nu-sal-lee
wa nas judu
wa i-lay-ka nas- 'aa wa nah-fidu
Wa nar-joo rah-ma-ta ka
wa nakh-shaa 'a-zhaa-ba-ka
inna 'a-zhaa-ba-ka bil kuf-faa-ri mul hiq

(Keep in mind this dua is not obligatory to say. It is sunna. You can say ANY dua you like as long as it is in arabic sunna)

Then you go down in sujud (prostration), doing it two times and you remain seated and say your closing dhikr and than taslim (asalamu alaikum..) right and left

That is how you do it in one rakat.

inqilab
05-26-2010, 07:05 PM
Oh yeh and after you finish witr, it is sunna to say "subhan almalik alqudoos 3 times.

Iqra
05-26-2010, 07:11 PM
Thanks for sharing Inqilab, I love how you transliterated that mashaAllah ...

but just like Mumin asked earlier ... does anyone know what "kullaho" means in Arabic ..bec I believe when I was first learning the dua I learned it with Kullaho .. so yeah :| (you'll see it's in some of the dua's posted above)

Muslimah
05-26-2010, 07:54 PM
Muslimah, do you follow a specific mathhab?

No...I am Sunni and follow what seems right to me. Should I follow one?

AnGaaR
05-26-2010, 08:04 PM
so u r hanafi...
then follow what i wrote for u
i am sure i am not wrong :)

Muslimah
05-26-2010, 08:05 PM
hehe
yes yes hanafi is the one I like! Most common in your land and in Egypt. I like hanafi.
I dont like the one where I am not allowed to ask questions.

Pakhtunzai
05-26-2010, 08:14 PM
hehe
yes yes hanafi is the one I like! Most common in your land and in Egypt. I like hanafi.
I dont like the one where I am not allowed to ask questions.

Yeah we follow hanafi too..the others have given fantastic advice on witr salaah:)

Subahanallah when I pray witr salaah for esha once I finish dua qunoot it feels as if somethings been unlocked inside me for the night and I feel a lot more peace at heart and alhumdulillah have a better sleep too:)

inqilab
05-26-2010, 08:25 PM
Allahum-ma ih-dini fee-man hadayta

wa ‘aafini feeman ‘aafayta

wa tawallani feeman tawallayta

wa baarik li feema a’tayta

wa qini sharra ma qadayta

fa-innaka taqdi wa la yuqda ‘alayk

wa innahu laa yadhillu man waalayta

wa laa ya’izzu man ‘aadayta tabaarakta

Rabbana wa ta’aalayta la manja minka illa ilayk

^ This dua is more authentic and reported by many more ahadith. I suggest you say this.

I never herd of kulluhu in the dua. But كل means fatigue.

inqilab
05-26-2010, 08:30 PM
No...I am Sunni and follow what seems right to me. Should I follow one?

Majority of the scholars have said it is not obligatory to follow a school. You can read their opinions here http://www.scribd.com/doc/30426622/Following-a-Madhhab-is-Not-Obligatory