View Full Version : Niqab Today - What's Next? + Interview with Al Jazeera

Mutakhasis
05-25-2010, 07:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlFt_JUpiik

Mutakhasis
05-25-2010, 07:42 PM
What Freedom were they speaking of again?

Muslimah
05-25-2010, 07:52 PM
I understand why people make such a big stink about Niqab. I used to once look at these women and think they were forced by their men, beaten because thats what Islam taught and so they covered to hide it, and to hide their sadness of being forced to dress this way. I of course never asked a Muslim why they wore it.
Now that I know better, I do see that the biggest mistake here is not asking the women whether they want to wear it or not. Because, niqab I see is more of an option as an addition to hijab, if a woman wants to wear it - she should be able to. But I also think women should be accommodated better who wear niqab. Like there should be a woman employee available where needed (ie. airport, court, etc) where she can remove her veil for security purposes. Last time I was at the airport, it was a woman who touched me in security but she lifted up my hijab infront of everyone and exposed my hair. Rather than getting mad I just calmly let her do it and walk away - but countries should be more aware and more accommodating to the people they welcome to their country.

But this argument is just non-sense. In Toronto, you can walk around topless as a woman, but you get harassed for covering up. What is wrong with this world?