View Full Version : How to keep my laptop cool?

Haris
06-02-2011, 05:28 PM
Assalam people.

When I use my laptop it becomes very hot (the longer I use it the hotter it gets).

I remember a while back it got so hot that everything was working really slowly and I eventually had to wipe it with a wet towel to cool it back down.

My laptop is over 2 years old.

It is a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pi 2540, identical to this one:
http://optimitza.cat/Imatges/portatils/FS-Amilo-Pi-2540/fujitsu-siemens-amilo-pi-2540-general.jpg

I know that it should be kept on a smooth flat surface to minimise any dust clogging up the systems which would make the laptop get hotter quicker but other than that I do not know what to do.

Also my charger gets very hot too, very quickly (it's relatively new, only a few months old).

Thanks.

graveyardofempires
06-02-2011, 05:35 PM
use it in north pole

joking

Adam
06-02-2011, 05:41 PM
External laptop fan maybe?

IamDZJ
06-02-2011, 05:53 PM
I had the same issue with my previous laptop. It would get so hot that if I touched the bottom it would burn. I would have to run it off every 20 minutes I'd it would shut down on it's own.
My new one started doing the same but my brother deleted some softwares that I had recently downloaded which I didn't need apparently. I leave it on for hours now. It doesn't get warm or anything.

emkhan
06-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Dell laptop is the best.

kakargirl
06-02-2011, 09:26 PM
4887Bro get this laptop cooler it plugs into the laptop ,it really works.

єѕαρχαι
06-02-2011, 09:30 PM
External laptop fan maybe?

Thats the best suggestion .....

My laptop used to heat up and I tried it, works well.... But too much of noise.

єѕαρχαι
06-02-2011, 09:33 PM
Assalam people.

When I use my laptop it becomes very hot (the longer I use it the hotter it gets).

I remember a while back it got so hot that everything was working really slowly and I eventually had to wipe it with a wet towel to cool it back down.

My laptop is over 2 years old.

http://optimitza.cat/Imatges/portatils/FS-Amilo-Pi-2540/fujitsu-siemens-amilo-pi-2540-general.jpg

I know that it should be kept on a smooth flat surface to minimise any dust clogging up the systems which would make the laptop get hotter quicker but other than that I do not know what to do.

Also my charger gets very hot too, very quickly (it's relatively new, only a few months old).

Thanks.

I don't think it effects speed, it should be something else, check your start up or maybe you have too many applications running in BG, also it could be due to malware/spyware

Haris
06-02-2011, 09:38 PM
I had the same issue with my previous laptop. It would get so hot that if I touched the bottom it would burn. I would have to run it off every 20 minutes I'd it would shut down on it's own.
My new one started doing the same but my brother deleted some softwares that I had recently downloaded which I didn't need apparently. I leave it on for hours now. It doesn't get warm or anything.

Yes mine has the same symptons.
Thing is, just today I had windows 7 installed on it so that cleared away all the old software. Same problem though. Think the newer models are just better/more efficient so you wouldn't get that problem.

I'm on a bit of a budget though so I can't afford to be buying a new laptop every other day lol

And regarding the cooling fans, is it one size fits all? or do you have to buy a specific sized fan?

Haris
06-02-2011, 09:40 PM
I don't think it effects speed, it should be something else, check your start up or maybe you have too many applications running in BG, also it could be due to malware/spyware

I was using a CPU intensive online program at the time and I noticed that its performance was lacking as it got hotter.

But it may be due to other reasons.

Gulalai
06-02-2011, 09:45 PM
get a new laptop (:

Haris
06-02-2011, 09:50 PM
get a new laptop (:

Right away!.......just as soon as I find a few hundred pounds :hairy:

єѕαρχαι
06-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Yes mine has the same symptons.
Thing is, just today I had windows 7 installed on it so that cleared away all the old software. Same problem though. Think the newer models are just better/more efficient so you wouldn't get that problem.

I'm on a bit of a budget though so I can't afford to be buying a new laptop every other day lol

And regarding the cooling fans, is it one size fits all? or do you have to buy a specific sized fan?

Yes there are different sizes, you can find a nice cooling fan for few dollars online...

Besides, go to msconfig and remove some items, also try a nice anti virus...

Most of the times there are applications running in background and are quite useless...

Gulalai
06-02-2011, 10:02 PM
Right away!.......just as soon as I find a few hundred pounds :hairy:

lol right. let me know when you get on that :shy: i need a new laptop too preferably a Mac but PCs are not so bad if you dont mind getting a virus once in a while >.<

Digital Malang
06-02-2011, 10:06 PM
Haris, this is the best thing you will ever come across and its no that bad money wise.
give it a look.

Amazon.com: Logitech Notebook Cooling Pad N100 (Gray): Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Notebook-Cooling-N100-Gray/dp/B003BEDQYY)

khashayar
06-02-2011, 10:24 PM
Put it in a bucket of water.

Haris
06-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Malang,

I wish I could give this thing two separate ratings but since I can't I went with 3 stars. I'd give it 5 for design alone. The placement of the fan and its intake are great. I never have to worry about the intake being cut off by my clothing when it's on my lap, a problem I had with my previous laptop cooling pad was a Belkin F5L001 Laptop Cooling Stand (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NWIOM6/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk). I have also written a review for the Belkin pad.

I'd give it 1 star for the fan. The fan is extremely quiet but that is because it does not move a great deal of air. Since the air flow is very low, it is not adequately cooling my own laptop. While the 2 star reviewer states that the fan is overkill, I'd like anyone reading this to note that laptops vary between manufacturers and models. How hot your laptop gets will vary depending on make/model and even how you're using it. This pad may be good for you if your laptop only gets uncomfortably warm.

Unfortunately, this is not the case with my laptop, an older Macbook pro (that I suspect may be on its way out) that gets skin searingly hot to the point that it interferes with the functioning of the laptop. An efficient and working cooling pad is actually a necessity for me. If I could put the fan from the Belkin mentioned above, into this pad it would be perfect.

One of the reviews, rated the most helpful.

Anyway, if I do find a good fan, how will I know which size to get?
Should I measure the dimensions of my laptop and get one that is just bigger or does it have to be the same size as my laptop?

Digital Malang
06-02-2011, 10:41 PM
I think they have only 1 size that fits all laptops but i am not sure :S. Just email them to confirm it before purchasing.

Haris
06-02-2011, 11:09 PM
hmm i'll go to my local tech shop, see what they have to say

Admin Khan
06-03-2011, 12:05 AM
GTMax Black USB Powered Cooling Pad Blue LED Light with 1 Large Fan /2 USB Port - Supports Up to 17 for Laptop Notebook Netbook (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=laptop+cooling+pad&cp=13&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1366&bih=667&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=15934075635140489351&sa=X&ei=a0_oTY-nAoPTgQeGmcSdAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CGcQ8gIwAg)

Nokia_Apridy
06-03-2011, 03:17 AM
da har sa na sewa ...............Battery awo light yu zay ma use kwa...

battery ubasa chay kala Light sra use kway............

awo dell best da mara.............ta ela bela fujistu agestu....

http://www.crizmaelec.com/Uploads/Images/ba218590-832b-4afb-85e8-985cfeed7799.jpg

alway working for me like my Pukhtun bro ;)..

Haris
06-03-2011, 07:35 AM
Nokia, you mean don't connect the charger and battery at the same time?

I heard that if you use the battery and it is not connected and you let it empty and then charge it up again then that is good for the computer? is this true?

єѕαρχαι
06-03-2011, 09:07 AM
Nokia, you mean don't connect the charger and battery at the same time?

I heard that if you use the battery and it is not connected and you let it empty and then charge it up again then that is good for the computer? is this true?
With Li-ion batteries , you shouldn't put them on charge if full and you should not let your battery die fully too . The minimal should be 10-20% and once a month you should empty your battery fully, that could save some life. Besides Li-ion batteries lose life even if you don't use them and keep them pin-packed inside a box.So , when you're buying a new battery always look for the Manufacture Date.

Haris
06-03-2011, 09:28 AM
Thank you for the information.

With Li-ion batteries , you shouldn't put them on charge if full and you should not let your battery die fully too . The minimal should be 10-20% and once a month you should empty your battery fully, that could save some life. Besides Li-ion batteries lose life even if you don't use them and keep them pin-packed inside a box.So , when you're buying a new battery always look for the Manufacture Date.

Why not? Does this decrease the battery life and makes the laptop hotter?

єѕαρχαι
06-03-2011, 09:54 AM
Thank you for the information.

Why not? Does this decrease the battery life and makes the laptop hotter?

That might decrease the battery lifetime, the temperature of laptop has more to do with components connected to mother board . Most of the PCs have fan next to processor.

Nokia_Apridy
06-03-2011, 10:30 AM
haris awo ............hem daga chay kala hem

Battery awo light yo zay ma lagwa....

BAttery Obasa....awo kala chay Laptop akhlay pa hagay ka da Middle east wala akla

zka chay da hagay para da HD rpm min hem dar wi awo Procr fan hem fast wi

zka chay dalta pa GULF regn ka Ghorma dar wi...

awo nan saba yu plate da Server System ka lagdalay di

Plate ka 4 pakey di........wait za darta pic obasam zma cmpny ka boos lagwlay di

haga wakhla...

Haris
06-03-2011, 10:34 AM
^ Poy shwum.

So DELL is better than Sony, Toshiba, HP and "fujistu agestu"?

shehram
06-03-2011, 01:52 PM
Assalam people.

Thanks.
You can change the battery inside the Lap top if the computer charger heating ,

(Also my charger gets very hot too, )
I donno about that :running:

Manzareh
06-03-2011, 01:56 PM
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/plastic-food-bag-ice-bucket-liner-8-x-4-x-12-1000-bx/plastic-food-bag-ice-bucket-liner-8-x-4-x-12-1000-bx.jpg

Nokia_Apridy
06-03-2011, 02:02 PM
B.lala da zka chay Mung pakay Battery prag du battery ta obasu ...awo Lapotp pa

Latay (kapray ) banday Ma Egday.....Latay (kapray ) na murad chay

Foam kambal Bolakht (balakht) ...awo dar sa shyan..

rubberduck
06-04-2011, 03:36 AM
You need to start working out how to tweak your laptop.

1: Air circulation, where are the vents and are hey being covered.

2: What apps are you using, the more apps the more power it needs the harder it needs to work.

3: Power staus of your Laptop and general condtion of the harware.

Do you charge you device while using ? This will increase the heat output by atleast 30% ( my estimation)

Do you run cad/ power hungry apps/windows while surfing?

Have you cleaned the vents ( can use a vacum over the vents) to dispearse the dust and static.