View Full Version : The strangest animal you've ever eaten?

Haris
05-09-2011, 06:06 PM
What is the strangest animal or part of an animal that you have eaten?

Like a swan or a jellyfish or anything weird like that...

Also are insects halal or haram?

For example those crazy Japanese eat fried ants and scorpions :S

Adam
05-09-2011, 06:08 PM
Locusts, there halal

khashayar
05-09-2011, 08:14 PM
What is the strangest animal or part of an animal that you have eaten?

Like a swan or a jellyfish or anything weird like that...

Also are insects halal or haram?

For example those crazy Japanese eat fried ants and scorpions :S

swans are illegal to eat in engalnd.they are protected by some royal protocol.you havent been eating swan have you?

faye
05-09-2011, 08:16 PM
they're not strange but i have eaten snake, turtle and goanna. (lizard) just a little bit of each.

Digital Malang
05-09-2011, 08:16 PM
I know what gulalai ate, she ate the poor Ayub. :'(

khashayar
05-09-2011, 08:19 PM
lolz, @ shams....hahahah...she'll get mad if she reads that imma use that as my sig...........

---

faye: omg how could you eat turtle...........i cant believe it.turtles are amazingly super cute....... :(

Gulalai
05-09-2011, 08:21 PM
I know what gulalai ate, she ate the poor Ayub. :'(

wtheck? who are you? :glare: don't get involved in things you don't know about, you just make yourself look like a fool. :shy:

faye
05-09-2011, 08:26 PM
actually turtle meat was very good. i am suprised there are any still in the ocean.
like swan it is illegal to kill them but here you are allowed, if you are aboriginal. i was staying with aboriginals and they cooked it up.
i've eaten stingray too.

khashayar
05-09-2011, 08:27 PM
^he's my besty, after i dumped your from the friendship list..which incidently you have been begging to be put back on

i loved his comment i used it as my sig .hahahahahah

Laila
05-09-2011, 08:27 PM
You guys are just plain wrong :awkward:

khashayar
05-09-2011, 08:29 PM
actually turtle meat was very good. i am suprised there are any still in the ocean.
like swan it is illegal to kill them but here you are allowed, if you are aboriginal. i was staying with aboriginals and they cooked it up.
i've eaten stingray too.

aboriginals are lucky, they getaway with so much?

stingray.....wow................thats like that aussie guy who got killed by a stingray.....whats his name again........??

what does turtle taste like?

what does stingray taste like?

dont say fish .lolz

khashayar
05-09-2011, 08:29 PM
You guys are just plain wrong :awkward:

lol....what?

Laila
05-09-2011, 08:30 PM
lol....what?

Why would people eat anything besides the main animals....whatever happened to just sticking with chicken, cow, lamb, goat?

faye
05-09-2011, 08:37 PM
mgm, you mean 'crocodile man'. stingray was nice the first time i had it. hard to explain what these things taste like. like turtle and stingray, i guess. the second time was at a chinese restaurant the stingray tasted terrible. i also used to fish for eels in my friends dam, they were about a metre long and they taste exellent when cooked in the coals.

Janana
05-10-2011, 01:19 AM
I've eaten crocodile jerky before I converted. Wasn't too thrilled eating cow brain and tongue rice though.

faye
05-10-2011, 01:33 AM
you just reminded me janana,(oz animals) kangaroo i have had but no crocodile.

Janana
05-10-2011, 02:03 AM
you just reminded me janana,(oz animals) kangaroo i have had but no crocodile.

I heard from my sister that minced kangaroo is actually cheaper than ground beef? Thought groceries in general cost much more there but still :P

faye
05-10-2011, 06:02 AM
kangaroo smells ghastly when being cooked. i wouldn't use it. someone else cooked what i ate. it was just ok.

Janana
05-10-2011, 07:07 AM
Oh, I nearly forgot - chocolate covered grasshoppers and frog legs. That's about it for me :/

Pashtun_Ultranationalist
05-10-2011, 10:17 AM
Stick with Chicken, I hate these exotic meats lol!

tor_khan
05-10-2011, 11:26 AM
I once went to a Burn's night where I was served Haggis after the poetry recitation. This was my initiation into Scots culture when quite honestly I would have been happy with shortbread and gooseberries. The stuffing apparently was oat, chopped apples, minced intestine and other offal type left overs. I politely declined a second serving and no I did not don a kilt.

I have been served octopus and squid but I is not impressed with slimy sea creatures with tentacles.

Anyone eat things like larrey and shattingey?

Oh and has anyone had roast goose, English country style? Apparently you're supposed to hang the goose and let it go rank (i.e. you let it rot over a period of a few weeks/month or so and allow the maggots to get to it). You then roast the whole lot.

IamDZJ
05-10-2011, 11:43 AM
^ that sounds horrible.
I want to try oysters.

Haris
05-10-2011, 12:48 PM
Turtle meat tasted so good that in the 1800s Charles Darwin and his crew ate all the turtle they found before catalogging them and sending them to the British Museum.

It is apparently the tastiest food in the world.

And tor khan, really? I have never heard of that :/ Those rich countryside people are just weird.

The weirdest thing i've eaten are mussels...and they aren't even that weird. I've had duck before as well.

Adam
05-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Are oysters, squid, octopus and and mussels halal?

Haris
05-10-2011, 12:56 PM

It depends on who you ask.

I've always been told that anything living in the sea as long as it is not a carnivore or amphibious is halal. But I think some Muslims believe that all sea life including fish is haram and others think only fish is halal.

faye
05-10-2011, 09:21 PM
i had deer once, in borneo. it had been hunted in the nearby forest. that was nice meat.

Sher Malang
05-11-2011, 02:57 AM
I ate worms.

Gulbabo
05-11-2011, 02:06 PM
goat meat

bleeeekhhh (hate it)

IamDZJ
05-11-2011, 03:48 PM
I didn't like deer meat. Ducks neither. And turkies.

Haris
05-11-2011, 04:18 PM
I've heard that in Indonesia they eat fried monkey toes & bats...

...delicious

Janana
05-12-2011, 02:53 AM
My dad visited a village outside of Hong Kong. They had a hole in the center of the table and a live monkey sitting caged and restrained. They used a small saw to cut the skull open and eat the brains while the monkey was screeching and dying. :eating:

*Mahzala*
05-12-2011, 04:50 AM

It depends on who you ask.

I've always been told that anything living in the sea as long as it is not a carnivore or amphibious is halal. But I think some Muslims believe that all sea life including fish is haram and others think only fish is halal.

All seafood is halal. In Surah Maidah, Allah says: Lawful to you is the pursuit of water-game and its use for food,- for the benefit of yourselves and those who travel; but forbidden is the pursuit of land-game;- as long as ye are in the sacred precincts or in pilgrim garb. And fear Allah, to Whom ye shall be gathered back. Based on this ayah, it is usually interpreted that all creatures in the ocean are halal.

Haris
05-12-2011, 05:05 PM
According to shafi, maliki and hanbali but not hanafi. It is hanafi which advises that mussels, oyster, lobsters and prawns are not eaten. This includes animals that are not in the shape of fish i.e. a walrus or a sea pig. This is because they consider it dirty in appearance and flesh just as a pig is. I am not conversed in Islamic jurisprudence so please do not take this as the definitive truth. I am no Imam and wish not to twist the words of Allah.

What is your opinion on this?
I was under the impression that most Afghans follow the hanafi madhab?

SWATIAN
05-12-2011, 06:05 PM
I like porcupine meat.very delicious.