View Full Version : Authentic South Indian Biryani

Levanaye Zalmaye
05-10-2010, 02:04 PM
When we were in Peshawar, we'd have our host families say that since we live in Karachi, they've prepared a special Biryani to impress us. The dinner table never failed to reveal that all their "Biryanis" were actually Pulaos.

tor_khan
05-11-2010, 10:21 AM
When we were in Peshawar, we'd have our host families say that since we live in Karachi, they've prepared a special Biryani to impress us. The dinner table never failed to reveal that all their "Biryanis" were actually Pulaos.

Biryani appears to be very regional - think Muslims in Bombay, Delhi, Sindh etc. In Pakistan, I think Biryanis is "understood" less by non-Karachiites - and no Punjabee I know has ever made a biryani that comes close. Most Swatis I know still tend to like their rice plain or pulao style.

I've come across so many "biryanis" that are anything but. A genuine biryani is even hard to come by in the UAE to be honest despite the number of Indian Muslims who live here.

The best biryanis outside Karachi that I've had (apart from the ones that we make at home) was in Chicago (memon style).

tor_khan
05-11-2010, 11:50 AM
^Karachi has very good Biryani and Haleem.

Student Biryani is very popular. (Its a restaurant)

That's right - Student Biryani have outlets across Karachi.

Iqra
05-18-2010, 03:07 AM
Me too.

Who wants to cook me some... don't all rush at once.

Iqra
05-18-2010, 03:07 AM
Me too.

Who wants to cook me some... don't all rush at once.

Iqra
05-18-2010, 03:31 AM
Ok you win, you get to make me some biryani. I really crave it now =(

Karachi
09-12-2011, 01:34 AM
biryanis are different all over south asia, i prefer the north indian and karachi version, though south indian(hyderbadi) one is not bad either. I have heard in bengal or Madras they have fish biryani, never tried it though

Btw there is also biryani in Iraq and the gulf region of arabia

sthek
09-12-2011, 01:23 PM
best brityani i ever had was bawarchi's chicken biryani in hyderabad

you can't find better briyani anywhere else in india.heard calcutta style is also good but hyderabadi dhum rocks,someone here saying madras fish briyani or chicken whatever it sucks like anything dude

Karachi
03-01-2012, 03:55 PM
weird black guy singing about hyderbadi biryani:

Hyderabadi Biryani - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3cWvJ3RIMg)

Karachi
03-01-2012, 08:22 PM
I haven't tried south indian hyderabadi biryani but I think it has boiled eggs in it:

http://www.womenxone.com/files/2010/06/Hyderabadi-Baryani-5.jpg

al-arab
04-02-2012, 12:33 PM
I tried Hyderabadi Biryani here in Jeddah yesterday (no boiled egg). A bit different than Iraqi biryani. Very good. I like Indian food.

Karachi can you tell me which meals is the most popular in India and which are hidden pearl that people do not know much about outside of India?

Karachi
04-02-2012, 03:06 PM
^ To be honest India is so big, that even I am discovering many cuisines that I haven't tried. Like yesterday I went to this restaurant from Kerala(southern india) which served only Keralan south indian sea food dishes. They were amazing! Almost every region in India has regional dishes, most of them I haven't tried. I have only had pakistani or north indian mughal food for the most part

al-arab
04-02-2012, 06:21 PM
^ To be honest India is so big, that even I am discovering many cuisines that I haven't tried. Like yesterday I went to this restaurant from Kerala(southern india) which served only Keralan south indian sea food dishes. They were amazing! Almost every region in India has regional dishes, most of them I haven't tried. I have only had pakistani or north indian mughal food for the most part

I am not that familar with Indian cuisine but what I have tasted myself throughout the years in Saudi Arabia and UAE it is very, very good.

In general India is a very interesting country. Is there something called Mughal food? Never knew that. I also tried a Indian dish with rice, grilled lamb meat, a lot of different species and coconut. It was excellent but sadly I cannot remember what the name of it is. I suspect it is Southern Indian since they use cocunat.

Karachi
04-02-2012, 09:23 PM
True Cocunut based dishes are usually from south as they are a tropical area, I love those dishes. Mughal food is usually north indian (Delhi) or Pakistan (Lahori) food. South asian cusine is very big diverse because of the so many cultures

faye
04-02-2012, 09:37 PM
i have to admit that the best indian food i have tasted was in restaurants outside of india. in england, singapore and borneo.
dosai with dips, is a popular kerala dish and rice, dal, suje, dahi and chapatis, was common in the north.
fish is served a lot in andamans, caught that day.

al-arab
04-03-2012, 07:44 AM
True Cocunut based dishes are usually from south as they are a tropical area, I love those dishes. Mughal food is usually north indian (Delhi) or Pakistan (Lahori) food. South asian cusine is very big diverse because of the so many cultures

I must admit that it is very good indeed. I was surprised by all the different flavours and dishes. Is Mughal food more tasty than South Indian? And what is the best food in India? What is the pear of India most people think?

And once I read that we Arabs had some influence in Indian cuisine? Is this correct do you think?