View Full Version : I want to learn Pashtu

Ashiq
12-15-2010, 11:45 AM
Dear members,

Assalamu Alaikum

I want to learn this mother tongue of mine; unfortunately, aside for a couple of words I am oblivious of the language, that is I am unaware of the grammatical structure (syntax and morphology).

I want to create this thread for myself so that I could ask questions and willing members could help me out.

I know that this forum is full of material, however, because I am not used to it it would take me a long time to sift through it. Therefore, I felt that if I created a thread for myself and asked questions members could direct me to the appropriate thread or simply answer my questions in this thread itself.

I hope this will not be a burden upon anyone, and may Allah reward you all.

Wassalam

Ashiq
12-15-2010, 11:47 AM
First and foremost, what is the Pashtu alphabet and how are the individual letters voiced?

Thank you!

faizkhan
12-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Inshallah we will try our best to help you brother ?
__________________________________________________ _____
Inshallah mong ba khpal pora khoshish kao che sta madad oko rora.

Ashiq
12-15-2010, 01:05 PM
I have a solid understanding of Arabic alphabet. I guess we can it take from there. Are they similar?

Ashiq
12-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Actually, I feel sad when I hear people speak Pashtu, because it is something I should know.

Feroza_Banu
12-15-2010, 01:53 PM
i will try to help you as much as i can

click on this URL... this post has a video i have posted from youtube. this is a good way to start learning alphabets.

http://www.pashtunforums.com/262126-post10.html (http://www.pashtunforums.com/262126-post10.html)

let meknow if this is helpful

Ashiq
12-15-2010, 02:21 PM
This is really kind of you. I will get to it right away. I am warning you, I am dead serious about learning the language. I hope you don't mind if I bother you constantly.

Ashiq
12-15-2010, 02:36 PM
There were four 'ye' that I counted. Do they all have different functions? Also, I notice that some people say Pashtu and some say Pakhtu, why the difference?

Feroza_Banu
12-15-2010, 02:48 PM
^lol. don't worry i won't be bothered at all... i consider this my owner to be able to even teach a word of pashto to those who are interested in this language.

difference between pashto and pakhto is only difference of dielect. Pashto is according to south eastern dielect like Kandahar (which called the soft dielect)... and pakhto is more like the hard sound dielect spoken by people in jalalabad or logar.

now which one would you like to learn?... there is only slight difference... but it does sound very different when spoken.

Ashiq
12-15-2010, 02:54 PM
My ancestors are from Qandahar, therefore, I would love it if you could teach the Qandahari dialect.

The next thing is why is there four "ye" are they all different?

Feroza_Banu
12-15-2010, 03:11 PM
^Ok, awesome... i will tell u the difference between the alphabets pronounciation of Kandahar from the video that you have. i will prepare a lesson for you by end of the day.

yes they are all different. they all are used differently considering the tense of the word/verb or the gender. you will understand the difference later when u have a little more knowledge about the language. for now just start with basics.

while we are at it. lets start with some conversation.

make sure u learn your alphabets from the video. practice with him.

What languages do you speak or can speak?

Ashiq
12-15-2010, 03:16 PM
This is really kind of you. May Allah reward you!

I will practice the alphabet with him.

Feroza_Banu
12-15-2010, 03:18 PM
^good :)

Ashiq
12-15-2010, 04:48 PM
Assalam Alaikum Feroza_Banu, you have given me hope. I will, Insha Allah, be a good student.

Feroza_Banu
12-15-2010, 04:54 PM
^walaikum asalam Ashiq jan... I am so glad to hear... inshaAllah.

Dreamer
12-15-2010, 07:02 PM
Pashtu ba deh zda she inshallah

*Mahzala*
12-15-2010, 09:20 PM
My ancestors are from Qandahar, therefore, I would love it if you could teach the Qandahari dialect.

The next thing is why is there four "ye" are they all different?

Learning Qandahari Pakhto - I am in :angel1:

The ye is a long and complex topic. I think it has been discussed quite a few times on the forum. I will dig it up and share the links (InshaAllah).

Ashiq
12-15-2010, 10:32 PM
If you could find it for me it would be amazing.

Ashiq
12-15-2010, 10:34 PM
OK...

So, I have practiced the letters and I have written down how to pronounce them in English alphabet. Please tell me if I have the pronunciation right for the Qandahari accent.

Ashiq
12-15-2010, 10:34 PM
ا

(alef)

Ashiq
12-15-2010, 10:35 PM
ب

(bay)

پ

(pay)

ت

(tay)

ټ

(ttay)

ث

(say)

Ashiq
12-15-2010, 10:36 PM
ج

(jeem)

چ

(chay)

ځ

(dzay)

څ

(tsay)

ح

(hay)

خ

(khay)

Ashiq
12-15-2010, 10:37 PM
د

(daal)

ډ

(ddaal)

ذ

(zaal)

Ashiq
12-15-2010, 10:37 PM
ر

(ray)

ړ

(rray)

ز

(zay)

ژ

(geay)

ږ

(gay)

Ashiq
12-15-2010, 10:38 PM
س

(seen)

ش

(sheen)

ښ

(kheen)

Ashiq
12-15-2010, 10:38 PM
ص

(swaad)

ض

(zwaad)

Ashiq
12-15-2010, 10:39 PM
ط

(toy)

ظ

(zoy)

Ashiq
12-15-2010, 10:39 PM
ع

(aeen)

غ

(ghaeen)

Ashiq
12-15-2010, 10:40 PM
ف

(fay)

ق

(qaaf)

Ashiq
12-15-2010, 10:40 PM
ک

(kaaf)

ګ

(gaaf)

Ashiq
12-15-2010, 10:41 PM
ل

(laam)

Ashiq
م

(meem)

Ashiq
ن

(noon)

ڼ

(noown)

Ashiq
12-15-2010, 10:42 PM
و

(wow)

Ashiq
12-15-2010, 10:42 PM
ه

(hey)

Ashiq
12-15-2010, 10:43 PM
ی

(yay)

ي

(yay)

ۍ

(yay)

ے

(yay)

Dreamer
12-16-2010, 04:50 AM
accent is the shhhh type

abubaker
12-16-2010, 05:03 AM
ن

(noon)

ڼ

(noown)
noonld

:tongue:

Ashiq
12-16-2010, 10:16 AM
So is everything else correct, abubaker?

Ashiq
12-16-2010, 10:17 AM
You mean for Qandahari accent, correct, Dreamer?

Admin Khan
12-16-2010, 09:19 PM
So far, you seem to be on the right track. Feroza Banu is a great teacher. I am sure your engine will be up and running soon.

Zma num Ashiq dey - My name is Ashiq

Sta num cheshey dey? - What is your name?

Za da Afghanistan yam - I am from Afghanistan

Za da Kandahar yam - I am from Kandahar.

Za ghwaram che Pashto izda kam - I want to learn Pashto
(I) (want) (to) (learn)

Ashiq
12-16-2010, 10:13 PM
What is the verb "to be" in Pashtu?
What is the verb "to want" in Pashtu?

Thank you so much for helping out.

Admin Khan
12-16-2010, 10:15 PM
To make things more simplified and easy, state what you want to say in Pashto. That way after reading a bunch of sentences, you can figure out the similarities.

Ashiq
12-16-2010, 10:21 PM
From the above sentences I got a simply idea of how to use the verb "to be" but what is the actual verb? Also, what is the actual verb "to have?"

I am just waiting for Feroza_Banu's syllabus, once that comes, I will ask a lot of questions, such as what are pre-positions post-positions used Pashtu. I am a very systematic learner.

If I could learn one verb a day, that would go a long way. Here there are three verbs you have used:

1- to have
2- to be
3- to want

Ashiq
12-16-2010, 10:38 PM
Thank you.

Is not "ghwaram" associated with "to want?"

IamDZJ
12-16-2010, 10:41 PM
1- laral, darlodal
2- kedal ( or i think kedal is becoming..?)
3- ghukhtal

but that is not how it works....

Ashiq
12-16-2010, 10:43 PM
So, the endings are "al" for verbs/?. So, if you take out the "al" you are left with the stem?

What do you mean by it does not work like this?

Ashiq
12-16-2010, 11:04 PM
I want to be a teacher = Za ghwaram che malim sam.

How would you break down the above?

Za=
ghwaram=
che=
malim=
sam=

Thank you.

Laila
12-16-2010, 11:12 PM
How would you break down the above?

Za=
ghwaram=
che=
malim=
sam=

Thank you.

Za= I
ghawaram=want
che= 'to be' form
malim=teacher
sam= (goes with your verb form....to be > che____ sam)

Thank you= manana

Btw, i am just in beginners Pashto too...though i know more now.

advice from me: be patient, its not an easy language to learn :)

Admin Khan
12-16-2010, 11:13 PM
For someone who knows Dari, Pashto is a very easy language. If 5 year old's can do it, so can anyone else.

Laila
12-16-2010, 11:24 PM
For someone who knows Dari, Pashto is a very easy language. If 5 year old's can do it, so can anyone else.

Actually not entirely. I mean it may be easy for some, and hard for others. I have been learning for a year now, i am still not down with all the verb conjugations. There are also many rules to Pashto. In Dari, as you are taking to someone, you dont have to necessarily worry about feminine and masculine forms.

Btw, did i reply correctly to Ashiqs post? i want to see if i did it right

Admin Khan
12-16-2010, 11:42 PM
Actually not entirely. I mean it may be easy for some, and hard for others. I have been learning for a year now, i am still not down with all the verb conjugations. There are also many rules to Pashto. In Dari, as you are taking to someone, you dont have to necessarily worry about feminine and masculine forms.

Pashto can't be taught over night. In order to excel,It requires the learner to strive, and to be focused. In your case Laila, it's hard for you to focus(which is why it's taking you so long). You are a Pre-med college student[Lots of Labs], you are a volunteer at a hospital, and I am sure you have a lot of other priorities. So when you prioritize, you easily pick College over Pashto, which is perfectly reasonable, after applying a cost-benefit analysis. Now if someone who knows Dari, and knows Urdu sits down and really focuses and pays attention to how Pashto works, and watches a few Pashto movies/dramas, it won't be long to realize how similar Pashto is to other languages. You can't have your mind preoccupied with many tasks, and then expect to learn Pashto. I know white Americans who learned Pashto, what did it take them? Consistency sprinkled with constant effort. Oh, and you must be focused. Laila, if you were to drop school, drop your job, and sit down and focus, I am extremely confident that you can pick up the language in several months. Now would you be an expert at it? Of course not. Even I am not an expert, but you would at least be able to converse in Pashto. In conclusion, it all comes down to ones personal effort and how much they have in their plate. Is Pashto an easy language? If you know Urdu, and Dari yes it is. It's not difficult at all, to at least apprehend the basic structure of Pashto. In short, if Pashto arouses Aashiqs curiosity, he can pick it up in months. If he focuses and actually pays attention to what he is doing, and constantly follows up on his lessons, I don't see any difficulties at all. Is Pashto difficult for someone who doesn't know Dari, Urdu and Arabic letters? I would say it's rather complicated. Aashiq on our hand, I assume, can read Arabic letters so all he has to learn is a few extra letters and he is already an avid Pashto reader.

Btw, did i reply correctly to Ashiqs post? i want to see if i did it rightYes, Good job.

Admin Khan
12-16-2010, 11:52 PM
Good job breaking it down, Laila!

One correction, though.

"Che" = that.

The sentence I want to be a doctor in Pashto would read Za ghwaram che doctor/doctora sham. Literally, however, it reads, "I want THAT I become a doctor." Another way to say that, without using "che," would be:

Za doctor joredal ghwaram.

To answer Ashiq's question about the verb to be, I'm really not sure what the actual verb is, but the conjugation is as follows.

- (I) am = (za) yam
- (you) are = (ta) ye
- (you (formal)) are = (taso) yai
- (she) is = (hagha) da
- (he) is = (hagha) dey
- (we) are = (mung) yu
- (you all) are = (taso) yai
- (they) are = hagho dee

"To become," which does not mean the same thing as "to be," is kedal or shwal in Pashto. If you have time and your desire to learn Pashto persists, please refer to this link: Pashto Verb General (http://www.mabidkhan.com/pdf_papers/Pashto%20Verb%20General.pdf), especially for verbs.

And, yes, Ashiq, you're right in your observation that Pashto verbs (generally) end in al. Examples: lidal (literally "seeing," which is a gerund, not a verb, but in Pashto, it means "to see."); kenastal (sitting down); pasedal (getting up); udakedal (sleeping); tolawal (collecting). And so on.

He wants to learn Kandahari Pashto, as he specified earlier. Which means most of your words aren't really valid here.

I will give you just a few

Sitting down = Ksheynastal
Getting up = walaraidal
We are = mozh yu

Let's not confuse the poor guy here. Kandahari Pashto is a lot different.

Laila
12-16-2010, 11:55 PM
Pashto can't be taught over night. In order to excel,It requires the learner to strive, and to be focused. In your case Laila, it's hard for you to focus(which is why it's taking you so long). You are a Pre-med college student[Lots of Labs], you are a volunteer at a hospital, and I am sure you have a lot of other priorities. So when you prioritize, you easily pick College over Pashto, which is perfectly reasonable, after applying a cost-benefit analysis. Now if someone who knows Dari, and knows Urdu sits down and really focuses and pays attention to how Pashto works, and watches a few Pashto movies/dramas, it won't be long to realize how similar Pashto is to other languages. You can't have your mind preoccupied with many tasks, and then expect to learn Pashto. I know white Americans who learned Pashto, what did it take them? Consistency sprinkled with constant effort. Oh, and you must be focused. Laila, if you were to drop school, drop your job, and sit down and focus, I am extremely confident that you can pick up the language in several months. Now would you be an expert at it? Of course not. Even I am not an expert, but you would at least be able to converse in Pashto. In conclusion, it all comes down to ones personal effort and how much they have in their plate. Is Pashto an easy language? If you know Urdu, and Dari yes it is. It's not difficult at all, to at least apprehend the basic structure of Pashto. In short, if Pashto arouses Aashiqs curiosity, he can pick it up in months. If he focuses and actually pays attention to what he is doing, and constantly follows up on his lessons, I don't see any difficulties at all. Is Pashto difficult for someone who doesn't know Dari, Urdu and Arabic letters? I would say it's rather complicated. Aashiq on our hand, I assume, can read Arabic letters so all he has to learn is a few extra letters and he is already an avid Pashto reader.

Yeah you are right. Like i can understand Pashto.....if someone sits down with me, i can easily pick up the conversation....but not when it gets into deep and serious discussion, but i dont know how to answer back....which i know takes more time and effort. If anything, i do know many of the words, but when putting it in a sentence and trying to figure out okay which verb do i use, in what form, and how am i going to say it to this person.....does get really tricky.

But another thing is, being around people who speak Pashto. Like myself, i sit down with my father and learn. But that only happens sometimes. So to be able to learn in fluently, Ashiq will need the support of his family, to sit down, and have conversations in Pashto with him, or whoever it may be. That way he knows how to interact and how to pronounce the words correctly.

I do advice on anyone, dont bother with Rosetta Stone. I didnt found it as helpful as the learning resources we have here and in other websites.

Oh and Ashiq, sorry for flooding your thread. :)
Yes, Good job.

Thanks! =)

Amir al Ghaznavi
12-17-2010, 02:46 PM
listen bro i aint tryin to discourage you, but if you wanna learn the language go back home

ull never pick it up here 100% off online tutorials

Laila
12-17-2010, 03:47 PM
Laleya, I can teach you good Paktika Pashto.

Thank you for the offer....but its best if i get fluent in Jalabadi pakhto first. Then when i know it well, then sure why not :)

Master Khan
12-17-2010, 07:26 PM
listen bro i aint tryin to discourage you, but if you wanna learn the language go back home

that biscally the way to learn it lol.

if you spend about 6 months back home then you will catch it and learn it.

My

Master Khan
12-17-2010, 07:27 PM

yep that is true

My dad spend about 15 years in Kuwait, saudi etc and now he can speak Arabic propaly.

Amir al Ghaznavi
12-17-2010, 08:43 PM
yep that is true

My dad spend about 15 years in Kuwait, saudi etc and now he can speak Arabic propaly.

Kha? Za ham pa Kuwait ki payda swam.

My father was there in the late 70s, and we left in 90. Maybe our fathers may know each other? PM me details wrora

Ashiq
12-17-2010, 09:06 PM

That is my plan. I just want to get some of the basic, and then pack my bags and go back to my homeland. This is the idea.

Ashiq
12-17-2010, 09:07 PM
Aashiq we are all here to help you. Just behave and don't talk a lot in class.

Agreed!

I am going to post some questions shortly.

Ashiq
12-18-2010, 10:56 AM
Could someone please list the pre-positions and post-positions used in the Pashtu language, and write them in the Pashtu script, as well, give a transliteration in the Qandahari dialect.

Ashiq
12-18-2010, 11:54 AM
Thank you so much. If there is more please let me know.

Ashiq
12-18-2010, 11:55 AM
By the way, thank you for putting them in Pashtu script and transliterating them. Also, are they in the Qandahari dialect?

Ashiq
12-18-2010, 01:08 PM
Again, thank you. Would it be possible to write them out in Pashtu script.

Ashiq
12-18-2010, 11:23 PM
Jazakallah Khairan!

ghayas
12-19-2010, 11:47 AM
what are real pashto names of 5 daily prayers?

Ashiq
12-19-2010, 12:19 PM

Yes, good one.

Also, how do you say in Qandahari pashto: How do we say.

Master Khan
12-19-2010, 12:47 PM
Do you do niyat in Pashto?

KhyberKhan
12-19-2010, 01:51 PM
we say

sabaya
moshpesheen
mozdeghar
masham
moskheetan

KhyberKhan
12-19-2010, 01:53 PM
Do you do niyat in Pashto?
use to when i was a kid, no need now. i learnt it was not necessary to physically say it. so i do it in my mind in english.

graveyardofempires
12-21-2010, 02:10 AM
Actually, I feel sad when I hear people speak Pashtu, because it is something I should know.

start here

YouTube - Pashto: Alphabets (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5QZE9ew6eg&feature=related)

Yousafzai Pakhtun
12-22-2010, 02:50 AM
to be in what context? I can also help.

I want to be a doctor : za ghwaram che doctor sam

to be - za ghwaram

I want to be a doctor : Za' Doctor joredal ghwaram

I = za'
Want = Ghwaram
To be = Joredal/also kedal in some cases

*Mahzala*
12-22-2010, 02:55 AM
Sahar (Fajr), maaspakhin (Zuhur), maazigar (?), makhaam (Maghrib), maskhutan (Isha)

I am sure it's a little different in other dialects, though.

maazigar (?) = Asr

ScimitarXEdge
12-26-2010, 01:03 AM
wakhti mazdegar dai da lidoona tolawum

Michin Khel
01-01-2011, 09:13 PM
maazigar (?) = Asr

Maazdigar is proper word, asr is farsi word.

abubaker
01-01-2011, 09:20 PM
Maazdigar is proper word, asr is farsi word.

its arabic

Michin Khel
01-01-2011, 09:38 PM
its arabic

I dont think pashtuns of kunar will use asr for mazdigar. Perhaps she spend too much time on listening to arab shiekhs.

abubaker
01-01-2011, 10:13 PM
I dont think pashtuns of kunar will use asr for mazdigar. Perhaps she spend too much time on listening to arab shiekhs.

what ever

Dreamer
01-02-2011, 03:14 PM
Mazdegar not mazgar